Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 289 guests

Post #472161  Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:33 pm 

DHD wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

I did DHD, I get really angry with how those guys were treated, my own grandfather was in that battle. He joined up in 1902 served for ten years and when war broke out joined up again. He was gassed out in 1916 went in to a pub a couple of months later and was given a white feather so immediately went and joined up again. Saw the war out and died in 1921 of effects of the gas, buried in West Ham cemetery only to be dug up a few years later to be buried in a communal grave due to space. A home fit for heroes I don't thinks so.

That’s a sad tale Daf. Shameful in fact.

What got me was the way the nation’s teenagers (many well below age) joined up in their millions. They then spent the best years of their lives fighting and dying in unimaginably hellish conditions. When they soldiers returned, they were unsurprisingly, different. Changed. They were a breed apart from the young lads who’d left. Sadly, they were treated quite harshly by what they expected would be a grateful society who'd welcome them back. Both my grandfathers survived the trenches and both suffered all sorts of issues on their return.

As was said several times towards the end of the film, those who hadn’t been there could never understand what the soldiers had been through. That film offered a glimpse.

I'm not surprised they suffered I'm amazed anyone came out of that situation unscathed. Millions came through it and went back into society with trauma, one just can't imagine the suffering. When I was a kid there were still men suffering what was considered a weakness "shell shock". You would see them walking around with the shakes. Poor bastards, nothing done to help them. Yet we still send our young men out to battle without a thought to their mental health when they return.

Post #472162  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 am 

Dafatone wrote:
DHD wrote:
As it's the interlull, did anyone catch "They Shall Not Grow Old" on BBC on Sunday evening?

Along with many I'm sure, I thought it was a truly remarkable film which for me was deeply affecting.

As an evocation of life and death in the WW1 trenches, told by and featuring the common soldiers who were there, it is an extraordinarily important piece of work.

I did DHD, I get really angry with how those guys were treated, my own grandfather was in that battle. He joined up in 1902 served for ten years and when war broke out joined up again. He was gassed out in 1916 went in to a pub a couple of months later and was given a white feather so immediately went and joined up again. Saw the war out and died in 1921 of effects of the gas, buried in West Ham cemetery only to be dug up a few years later to be buried in a communal grave due to space. A home fit for heroes I don't thinks so.

That is terrible treatment of a person who fought for what we have today.

Post #472163  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am 

Probably the most embarrassing day for Britain I can recall

Post #472164  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:02 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not seen any news today. What's happened?

Post #472165  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 pm 

Football leaks - Roberto Firmino, who has a €98million exit clause which can be triggered two years ahead of the end of his contract…”IF the interested club is NOT Arsenal FC”

Post #472166  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 pm 

Trumpy Bear! :14laughter:

Attachments:

Post #472167  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm 

Don't know if this is of interest to any old or not so old timers. My Mum passed away last year and left some super 8 reels which we had converted. In there was some footage of Arsenal v Derby from April 1974. It was taken by my Dad.

Lovely muddy pitch, half time scoreboard, lots of Geordie Armstrong, Raddy, and a young Liam Brady paired with Alan Ball in midfield. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/301071378

Post #472168  Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 pm 

Daveyboy wrote:
Don't know if this is of interest to any old or not so old timers. My Mum passed away last year and left some super 8 reels which we had converted. In there was some footage of Arsenal v Derby from April 1974. It was taken by my Dad.

Lovely muddy pitch, half time scoreboard, lots of Geordie Armstrong, Raddy, and a young Liam Brady paired with Alan Ball in midfield. Enjoy.

That was great. Thanks for posting the link. The celebration for our penalty was rather muted by the players. A pitch invasion but my favourite was the flying header by one of our players to clear the ball from our area.

Post #472169  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:59 am 

This ones for Kiwi. Next time you are having withdrawal symptoms because you haven’t visited Oz lately you can play this.

Last edited by warrior on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #472170  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am 

Daveyboy wrote:

:1laughter: I was at that match ....DaveyBoy

Derby were a quality side ..... Roy McFarland , Colin Todd in defence... Archie Gemmel , Bruce Rioch pulling the strings in midfield some extended beanpole up front [ John McGovern Roger Davies can't remember ]
We were coming out of the doldrums and that was a bright spot in a mediocre season .

To put it in context Derby won the league the next year .

Post #472171  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not seen any news today. What's happened?

:laughing7: Bound to be something about Brexit ..... where he thinks the minute you pull out ; Russia will invade the UK .

Post #472172  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am 

For all the talk around Ramsey and Welbeck's contract's expiring I thikn a lot of people have forgotten than Monreal's contract is also expiring. Even at 32 he should get a new 2 year deal. Very consistent for us.

Post #472173  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
This ones for Kiwi. Next time you are having withdrawal symptoms because you haven’t visited Oz lately you can play this.

:laughing7: yeah thanks for that Gaz ..... I keep thinking I should thunder over visit Granty Boy get my savings out of the NAB and Sunsuper before they wither on the vine .

I've met a lot of dead balls red neck blokes in Oz but by God the times I've had over there , [ working with two of my sons along the way ] have been the most vibrant of my life .

Created memories I'd have never ever come close to if I'd stayed in NZ .

Post #472174  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 am 

DHD wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

That’s a sad tale Daf. Shameful in fact.

What got me was the way the nation’s teenagers (many well below age) joined up in their millions. They then spent the best years of their lives fighting and dying in unimaginably hellish conditions. When they soldiers returned, they were unsurprisingly, different. Changed. They were a breed apart from the young lads who’d left. Sadly, they were treated quite harshly by what they expected would be a grateful society who'd welcome them back. Both my grandfathers survived the trenches and both suffered all sorts of issues on their return.

As was said several times towards the end of the film, those who hadn’t been there could never understand what the soldiers had been through. That film offered a glimpse.

My grandfather/ grandmother bound for NZ stopped off in Oz due to birth complications with what was going to be my father .

They settled in Annandale , Sydney ... he enlisted in the Aussie forces and was sent to France . He was wounded and sent home , my auntie [ his daughter ] said he never adjusted properly after the experience .

I checked the Oz Army records for his contribution ...... first day they arrived in England he was arrested for drunken disorderly , AWOL , trespassing ....... fined two weeks wages .

Reading this I said to Mrs Kiwi .... don't blame me when I get pissed now and than ...it's a genetic thing

Post #472175  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:23 am 

Daveyboy wrote:

:58big-emoticons: Enjoyed that!

Post #472176  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:52 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:

Derby were a quality side ..... Roy McFarland , Colin Todd in defence... Archie Gemmel , Bruce Rioch pulling the strings in midfield some extended beanpole up front [ John McGovern Roger Davies can't remember ]
We were coming out of the doldrums and that was a bright spot in a mediocre season .

I would have been as well, though I can't say I remember it. People were moaning when Puma started doing the home shirts with a brighter red as though it wasn't traditional. The shirts in that clip looked a bright red to me. I don't think it can be put down to a dodgy old film either, as that's how I recall the shirts from those days - a very bright red.

Post #472177  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:

Pretty sure I was as well. Alan Ball. What a player. Has to be a shout for any all time Arsenal XI. Post double we signed him and no one else. If we'd signed a goalkeeper and centre half as good as him and Charlie hadn't hated Bertie Mee so much the mid 70s might not have been so bad. But then if my auntie had.....

Post #472178  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm 

I really hate international breaks. If it was for the rugger against the Blacks on Saturday it would be a sporting wasteland.

Post #472179  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:56 pm 

tomc wrote:
Pretty sure I was as well. Alan Ball. What a player. Has to be a shout for any all time Arsenal XI.

I agree about Ball. We didn't win anything whilst he was at the club. But I reckon without him we'd have been relegated in the mid-70s.

Post #472180  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:31 pm 

Daveyboy wrote:

that was great........it also made me miss the North Bank

Post #472181  Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:

That was great. Thanks for posting the link. The celebration for our penalty was rather muted by the players. A pitch invasion but my favourite was the flying header by one of our players to clear the ball from our area.

If you read Brady's autobiography (written in 1980!) he says what an unhappy squad it was, and it what a breath of fresh air it was to meet up with the Irish squad. In fact, it wasn't until his Irish call up that he realised what a happy squad was. In particular I think that maybe Alan Ball might not have been popular with the others.

That was a decent Derby side.

I don't *think* I was at the game. I was taken from birth so I don't actually remember my first game. I remember a few reserve games around 1970 as a five year old, Birmingham away in 1974 is the first live game I can really remember. It was miserable.

Post #472182  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:06 am 

warrior wrote:
Fleetwood Mac Tribute show playing in Sydney tonight.

Might have to go see ...

https://dreamsshow.com.au/

Make sure you tell them to dedicate "Go Your Own Way" to AmericanGooner who "borrowed" his older sister's
'Rumours' album and played that song over and over for Sue Scirozinski breaking his heart in middle school. Thanks.
PS: tell them they may want to correct the spelling of 'Rumours' to 'Rumors' :1laughter:

Post #472183  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:06 am 

Politics for a moment. Despite reading about in the news as well as on news programs. What exactly are the issues with Theresa May's managing of Brexit?
Is the Irish border a big deal? That border or at least parts of it has been open and porous for some time, pre Brexit, right?
What else? Exactly 'how' England will exit?
Not quite sure if that's the jist of it and why she is facing a possible vote of no confidence.

Post #472184  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 am 

If or when Wenger is installed as Milan's manager, this would seem to contradict what I thought and that was that Gazidis wasn't a fan of Wenger and that he thought Wenger had way too much power within the club.

Post #472185  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:49 am 

Dafatone wrote:
Good grief. If anyone needed a warning about drugs and mental health this drivel is it.

I think it's a cry for help.

Post #472186  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:55 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Dafatone wrote:
Good grief. If anyone needed a warning about drugs and mental health this drivel is it.

I think it's a cry for help.

I think you're right. Being incontinent and having only American Gooner to change your nappies can't be fun.

Post #472187  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Babu III wrote:
anyway, the crackpipe is calling, so laters. haters

Obviously a typo Babu, 'its' a cracking pipe' such it's a 'cracking game going on', right?
(AG cleaning up after Babu...again :icon_mrgreen: )

It might be a good idea to gargle with listerine when you're done. Lord only knows where Babu's sphincter has been.

Post #472188  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 pm 

Try, Stockdale!

Post #472189  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:17 pm 

Waves at Kiwi.

And Granty (although I don't think he gives a *%^@)

Post #472190  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:46 pm 

Dafatone wrote:

Too true ..... this rabid half wit is going to kill this great forum .

Logging on and wading through his constant load of crap makes me think why bother .

Warrior missed his chance ; he should have banned the stupid pr**ck for that gross anal spunk message he sent to Gunfire a couple of weeks back .

Post #472191  Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:57 pm 

dec wrote:
Waves at Kiwi.

:12hello-bye: Neither do I now ..... very well played Ireland ; good game plan well executed . I went out into the shed eight minutes after half time .

We were very very poor , kicked away possession , handling errors , hospital passes , Sam Whitelock putting his hand up to touch that ball , Keiran Read going for the impossible pick up and knocks on when a try is beckoning .... dive on the ball you half wit , secure possession .
We should have lost against England .
Only positive I can see is it might be a wake up call before the World Cup .

Post #472192  Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:
Waves at Kiwi.

:12hello-bye: Neither do I now ..... very well played Ireland ; good game plan well executed . I went out into the shed eight minutes after half time .

We were very very poor , kicked away possession , handling errors , hospital passes , Sam Whitelock putting his hand up to touch that ball , Keiran Read going for the impossible pick up and knocks on when a try is beckoning .... dive on the ball you half wit , secure possession .

Had to do a search to find out what you were talking about.. your Review Kiwi could have been for every game that Cheika has been in charge of Australia for. The fact I was watching a sport program & they mentioned we actually won a game last night in rugby & I didn’t even know we were playing says it all. They tell me there is less than a year to another WC.

I am suddenly feeling very old. I have no interest in rugby, could not tell you any names of players in the cricket team, do not even know whether we are playing 20 or 50 over games, am sick of being told to gamble responsibly & are continually bombarded with news of American sport when I watch pay TV.

WTF has happened. Just in case you are wondering l don’t use drugs unlike some of our other posters. One of whom I intend to sadly put on the ignore list. If he reads this it is because life is too short to waste time on drivel.

Post #472193  Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Had to do a search to find out what you were talking about.. your Review Kiwi could have been for every game that Cheika has been in charge of Australia for.

I am suddenly feeling very old. I have no interest in rugby, could not tell you any names of players in the cricket team, do not even know whether we are playing 20 or 50 over games, am sick of being told to gamble responsibly & are continually bombarded with news of American sport when I watch pay TV.

WTF has happened. Just in case you are wondering l don’t use drugs unlike some of our other posters. One of whom I intend to sadly put on the ignore list. If he reads this it is because life is too short to waste time on drivel.

I hear you Gaz ... my tastes have changed . The room to shag around and time waste in rugby as ruined it for me ... any team under pressure can get someone to flop over and give everyone a rest and the clock keeps ticking , Rolling mauls , the need to bounce the ball five hundred times before every kick off :blob9:

Used to love tennis , same thing ... call for and inspect seven balls before every serve

Aussie rugby league and a decent one dayer or Twenty / Twenty in the cricket with NZ involved does it for me

Following your lead blocked the druggie ..... magic .... should have done that ages ago .

Post #472194  Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 pm 

Anybody watching the Switz - Belg game. 2-0 down pretty quickly the Swiss are now 3-2 up just before halftime....................

Post #472195  Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:07 pm 

Don’t know if any of u are interested in motor racing but if u r. Have a look at the F3 crash at Macau today

Post #472196  Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:
Waves at Kiwi.

I love watching the All Blacks. They have been the best team in the world for years now. But the last month or so has been really interesting because they haven't been hammering teams. The two games against South Africa were a great watch. I thought Ireland were outstanding last night and it was highly unusual to see this New Zealand team fail to score a try. I've no doubt they will come roaring back and remain strong favourites for next year's World Cup. It's great for the game for a few teams to show that they can take your boys on.

BTW, in terms of entertainment, my 13 year old son gets much more excited about an Ireland rugby match these days than any game of football. And he has played football for the local club since hes been 7 years old but has never played rugby.

Post #472197  Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:18 am 

dec wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I love watching the All Blacks. They have been the best team in the world for years now. But the last month or so has been really interesting because they haven't been hammering teams. The two games against South Africa were a great watch. I thought Ireland were outstanding last night and it was highly unusual to see this New Zealand team fail to score a try. I've no doubt they will come roaring back and remain strong favourites for next year's World Cup. It's great for the game for a few teams to show that they can take your boys on.

BTW, in terms of entertainment, my 13 year old son gets much more excited about an Ireland rugby match these days than any game of football. And he has played football for the local club since hes been 7 years old but has never played rugby.

If you really want him to follow football rather than rugby show him videos of the last 10 Australian rugby tests, that will kill his interest forevermore.

Post #472198  Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:59 am 

:53big-emoticons: Nato manages to sink one of their own frigates in 'war games' ... imagine what they could do if a few real life Russki missiles and planes were involved .

https://news.sky.com/story/us-sailor-wa ... ian-frigat

" US officer onboard role unclear"

... navigator or skipper would be my guess :angel9:

Post #472199  Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am 

dec wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

To be honest Dec ....... I've been disappointed with Coach Hansen of late .... he doesn't seem to adapt . The test v South Africa in NZwas thrown away ... Beauden Barrett was having nightmare , missed two penalties from right in front and Hansen let him carry on . Damian McKenzie is a far better kicker .

Barrett continues to kick away possession ,exciting player with ball in hand but boy he makes some incredibly stupid tactical decisions at times , both our half backs did the same . That half wit Peranara nearly threw away the English test doing just that .

The way the game is played these days you don't get the ball back for ten minutes after an aimless kick

The backline should have been instructed to stand deeper not give the Poms and your lot the chance to disrupt the backline so easily

Disappointing to see them carry doing the same old same old as the ship went down .

I think the retirement of the four titans at the same time McCaw , Carter , Nonu and Conrad Smith is finally having an effect . The aura was still there initially but I think now a few cracks are appearing , Keiran Reid ; very good player but nowhere near the leader McCaw was .

plus he perserveres with Sonny Bill Williams ... who is a braindead clueless moron .

Post #472200  Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm 

Bournemouth is going to be a tough nut to crack. It's going to be tough to leave their with any result better than a draw. Emery, Sarri and Howe have done a lot this season so far.
A fourth straight draw does us no good for a few reasons. It will be a tough match to win.

[ 551545 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11802, 11803, 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807, 11808 ... 13789  Next