Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 285 guests

Post #547441  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:20 pm 

Looking back at some incidents at the weekend, Raul Jimenez was sent off for jumping in to a challenge on a Newcastle player and his hip connecting with the Newcastle players head, dangerous play, free kick and red card.......but what about when Robert Sanchez did the same to Jesus in the Chelsea v Arsenal game? We were told it wasn't a penalty, let alone a potential red card. GK flying out, doesn't win the ball and his hip collides with some force on the opponents head. Even if you think there is some degree of subjectivity which would preclude Sanchez being sent off for it compared to Jimenez it was an absolute minimum a foul and therefore a penalty.

When Howard Webb does his show they need someone other than Michael Owen bringing up these kind of almost identical situations and asking to explain the lack of consistency in decision making. In this we're talking about a final decision for 2 incidents where the decision wasn't even just 1 step on the punishment scale. One is deemed not even a foul and the other a straight red card.

Post #547442  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:25 pm 

A tight offside call against Wolves. Now I do think he is offside - by the naked eye, but where they have drawn the red line for the furthest part forward on the attacking (the goalscorer) seems quite off for me - how big do they think his foot is?

bring in the semi automated offsides as soon as possible. yes you might be offside by 0.5mm but the act of drawing the lines will be taken away from the human interpretation

Attachments:

Post #547443  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:57 pm 

So how many points will win the title this year? In recent years the benchmark has been 'over 90' Last year City won with 89 points. We're on target for 87 points if we repeat our 17 game form over the remaining 21 games.
City sit on 34 points and would need to go at 17 wins and 4 draws and 0 defeats from their remaining 21 games to reach last year's points total. They are the sort of team that can easily go on that run.

This year I don't think it will take over 90 or close to 90 points. I think our total of 84 from last year would be very very close this year - maybe a couple of points shy.
For us to get to 84 points from the remaining 21 games we could do:
W15 D0 L6
W14 D3 L3
W13 D6 L2

Post #547444  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:01 pm 

According to reports, Paulo Xavier has left his role as Real Madrid’s Latin America scout to join Arsenal. Timely bit of news considering the debate on here about edu not using his Brazil connections to bring us many talented SA youngsters

Post #547445  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
According to reports, Paulo Xavier has left his role as Real Madrid’s Latin America scout to join Arsenal. Timely bit of news considering the debate on here about edu not using his Brazil connections to bring us many talented SA youngsters

That useless bugger Edu trying to compensate for his own failures again. Signing 4 Brazilians and bidding for an 5th isn’t good enough we wanted 8.

Get out of our club you fraud ! :14laughter:

Post #547446  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:30 pm 

Been reading a few tactical reports of the Arsenal c Brighton game and Arteta got it spot on and had a surprise up his sleeve.
Brighton want to invite the press to play through you, Arsenal went for this and pressed man for man, high and aggressive, if Brighton went long they had players like Gabriel tracking the striker all but in to their own defensive third. It was that aggressive and brave against one of the best teams to beat the press. That needs total concentration and total commitment from all 11 on our side.

When we had the ball we pushed Havertz on which dragged Gross in to almost the back line and freed space for others. We inverted a full back where Brighton didn’t which gave us the overloads in playing out.

Interestingly when we went longer to bypass the press we had Havertz and Jesus drop in short knowing both CB would follow them to try to win the ball high and then bought Martinelli and Saka in off the wings in to central areas for the longer pass knowing that they both had the physical beating of the full backs they were up against who would drift inside with them.

Teams just haven’t been able to have that level of control in a game v Brighton for a long time.

Post #547447  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:11 pm 

Anyone going to Porto?

Post #547448  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:12 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Ash wrote:

Hi Terry, I guess you didn’t see my answer to John1 who said the same thing earlier.

No I didn’t. But agree with him that you must be about 10 years old. When Rice has performed for 5+ seasons, maybe we’ll talk again!

Cool. So you don’t even know what I said. I know not to talk to you again.

Post #547449  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:16 pm 

Ash wrote:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-paul-merson-transfers-szoboszlai-30951172.amp

Football pundit Paul Merson has lauded Liverpool new boy Dominik Szoboszlai and claims that the midfielder is the best signing any Premier League side made this summer

He’s had too many CBD gummies then.

Post #547450  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:39 pm 

By the way Ash is right and certainly not deserving of divvy comments in that we have never had a player like Declan Rice before, certainly not in my Arsenal supporting life. Not saying he’s better than Vieira by any means but in terms of what he brings to the team it’s kind of unique.

His skill set seems to sit somewhere between Vieira and Roy Keane (fractionally closer to Keanes I’d say) but Patrick had Gilberto or Petit to cover him where as Rice seems to run our midfield practically single handed flanked by 2 number 10s in Ødegaard and Havertz. Yet despite this he still seems to add value in attacking areas. He just doesn’t waste the ball at all and also doesn’t seem to make errors and his temperament and timing considering he makes so many tackles is remarkable. Only 1 yellow all season.

We’ve had solid defensive midfield types like Davis, Williams and Richardson and cultured midfield players like Thomas and cazorla but never a player with such a specific quality.

I think our midfield 3 are starting to click but Rice is absolutely paramount to the success we are having controlling games.

Post #547451  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:32 am 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Nunez gets booked for a tackle and kicks the ball away. 1 yellow no subsequent yellow. Dalot gets booked twice for dissent. In the "fog of war" mistakes are made. There is no grand conspiracy against any team.

So Liverpool got a big one in their favour due to the rank inconsistency of officials. Its a shame we don't ever seem to benefit from these margin 50/50 calls, or at least the balance is heavily skewed. If the mistakes are just random why do we rarely benefit, or if we do where are the examples?
What decisions this season have had our opponents seething that Arsenal got away with one (penalty, red card or goal) where the decision could have gone one way or the other - 'seen them given' type ones?

Often its small things, even at the weekend, plenty of opportunity to book Milner for multiple fouls on Saka, Ben White then takes the first yellow card of the game and the ref was absolutely not going to book Mitoma for the same type of foul on Saka until the crowd and Arteta started making such a big deal over it. The crowd did the refs job for him.

Of course I don't believe refs are going out there thinking I am purposely going to try to make Arsenal lose this game, but there is something there with certain teams and players. Are we to believe that any of England's leading internationals and the prem's highest profile players would have taken 2 yellow cards in the way Dalot did? That's not mistakes, it is treating players differently. if Kane were still in the league I doubt he'd get 1 yellow for that, or if he had got the first it would have been a talking to at worst after that.

The ref seemed to be following a policy of giving the Brighton players verbal warnings before booking them, then not applying this to Arsenal players. He was evidently planning to continue with this until the crowd reaction convinced him to book Mitoma. Then he seemed to book Arteta to save face.

It was all very odd.

Post #547452  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:10 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
By the way Ash is right and certainly not deserving of divvy comments in that we have never had a player like Declan Rice before, certainly not in my Arsenal supporting life. Not saying he’s better than Vieira by any means but in terms of what he brings to the team it’s kind of unique.

His skill set seems to sit somewhere between Vieira and Roy Keane (fractionally closer to Keanes I’d say) but Patrick had Gilberto or Petit to cover him where as Rice seems to run our midfield practically single handed flanked by 2 number 10s in Ødegaard and Havertz. Yet despite this he still seems to add value in attacking areas. He just doesn’t waste the ball at all and also doesn’t seem to make errors and his temperament and timing considering he makes so many tackles is remarkable. Only 1 yellow all season.

We’ve had solid defensive midfield types like Davis, Williams and Richardson and cultured midfield players like Thomas and cazorla but never a player with such a specific quality.

I think our midfield 3 are starting to click but Rice is absolutely paramount to the success we are having controlling games.

Credit needs to go to the rest of the team who are creating the conditions for him to thrive. Our forwards are pressing so well and Saliba and Gabriel and playing high up the pitch and depriving opposition attacking players of any oxygen (and are brilliant at mopping up if they do get a sniff). Declan Rice is the master of exploiting this pressurized midfield zone and acting as a one man midfield, and is getting better and better in his use of the ball.

Two games running the opposition have talked about 'suffering' against us. I think this is mostly because of how relentlessly good we've been out of possession. But that is also due to teams feeling that if they turn over possession to us they are in deep *(U*%&. Not only are Martinelli and Saka terrifying, Rice is showing his ability to drive through the middle, giving us that extra dimension.

Post #547453  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:58 am 

I'm always worried going to Anfield. We haven't won there in years and we've been hammered a few times in that time.
I am a wee bit more confident going there of at least a draw. No way we should have threw away a 2 - 0 lead last season. You don't go up 2-0 up within a half hour or so at Anfield too often. Very rarely done. This time around I think its going to be a fairly open, end to end game. Liverpool has to go for the win. A draw at home won't be enough for them.

The kind of football we've been playing lately, makes me think we can nick a win. It just depends on how we play with a lead. If we go down a goal first, I'll settle for a draw. Can't see us pressing and not conceding a goal there. They have too many weapons that can hit you on the counter in seconds.

Which brings up to Zinchenko. We're exposed with him at LB. He brings a lot to the attack from that position but we have a few weapons in attack that he's not a requirement I think. We have to be solid across the back line. Especially down our left flank.

Post #547454  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:04 am 

I would not be surprised to see Man Utd drop points at West Ham. Everton have 4 wins on the trot. That point deduction has put a fire under them. So, I am hoping they can take points at Tottenham.

I like Villa. I'd love it it if they finished 2nd to us in the league.

Post #547455  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I would not be surprised to see Man Utd drop points at West Ham. Everton have 4 wins on the trot. That point deduction has put a fire under them. So, I am hoping they can take points at Tottenham.

There is always some luck in how the fixtures play out depending on who you meet and what form they are in. We played Everton pre points deduction and got a 1-0 win at their place, a result with their form right now that any team in the league would bite your hand off for, they are flying now.

As it stands Arsenal, City, Liverpool are the 3 favourites to go right to the end, but after that Spurs and Villa are clear from the rest because both have shown that even with players missing they have the system set up to win games and other players can slot in. Big injuries and fatigue will be vital for all of those teams

Post #547456  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 am 

“Who is the current Premier League player that resembles your playstyle?”
Dimitar Berbatov: “First name popping into my mind is Kai Havertz.”

This guy is rated by so many managers and players.

Post #547457  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 am 

This season Arsenal have limited Manchester City, Newcastle and Brighton all to only one shot on target across the full 90 minutes.

This is the Arteta masterplan for the season. 43 goals conceded last year, you can't win titles with that many goals conceded

Post #547458  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:29 am 

Some other bits of news.

Apparently Brentford and Palace are keen on Nketiah, Arsenal want £40m. I'd definitely take that as long as we replace him.

Xhaka will be coming back to watch an Arsenal game v West Ham (Germany have their winter break) - a chance to say goodbye to the players and staff. Hopefully enough of the crowd know he's there too so they can thank him too

Post #547459  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:36 am 

Liverpool have injury problems for their game v us - although whenever I get my hopes up about these things before a big game they all seem to miraculously recover.
Anyway - reported out are:
Robertson, Matip, Jota, Thiago (I think those should definitely be out) and also MacAllister and Gravenbach.

Their back 4 and Gk picks itself just likes ours at the moment. Similar with the front 3, Salah/Nunez/Diaz (possibly Gakpo). If all those above are out then I'd expect their midfield to be Endo, Szlobaszlai, Jones. Our our midfield of Rice, Havertz, Ødegaard 'should' destroy that!

Post #547460  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Some other bits of news.

Apparently Brentford and Palace are keen on Nketiah, Arsenal want £40m. I'd definitely take that as long as we replace him.

Xhaka will be coming back to watch an Arsenal game v West Ham (Germany have their winter break) - a chance to say goodbye to the players and staff. Hopefully enough of the crowd know he's there too so they can thank him too

Nketiah to Brentford or Palace is beneficial to all 3 parties, player, new club and Arsenal. Please let it happen.

Wonderful for Xhaka if he gets all the love from Arsenal fans, he deserves it :58big-emoticons:

Post #547461  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

There is always some luck in how the fixtures play out depending on who you meet and what form they are in. We played Everton pre points deduction and got a 1-0 win at their place, a result with their form right now that any team in the league would bite your hand off for, they are flying now.

As it stands Arsenal, City, Liverpool are the 3 favourites to go right to the end, but after that Spurs and Villa are clear from the rest because both have shown that even with players missing they have the system set up to win games and other players can slot in. Big injuries and fatigue will be vital for all of those teams

I definitely agree on the assessment of who the favorites are. The surprise is who is not in there and Newcastle comes to mind. I saw a podcast they are having trouble trying to navigate CL football and the EPL because the level of play is much higher in the CL than the Europa, for example that they can't rotate players as much and they have play harder. I don't know if there is any veracity in that but it sounds logical.

I love Nketiah. I'd like to see him stay in London as I assume his family would prefer that. 40 million is a nice amount and I can't see Arteta not buying for that position. I think Nketiah has got a good future in the league at this level. He won't be Henry but no one is expecting that. I was hoping Willock would be better for Newcastle as well. Liked him.

Post #547462  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:41 pm 

On the Nketiah thing the reason why there may be some truth behind it is the same reason Chelsea are looking to sell Connor Gallagher in that FFP has some strange rule that selling academy players is considered pure profit and frees up space to sign other new players on amortised contracts.

For me Eddie to Brentford makes sense. Would get the minutes he wants and we can upgrade our forward line.

Post #547463  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

I definitely agree on the assessment of who the favorites are. The surprise is who is not in there and Newcastle comes to mind. I saw a podcast they are having trouble trying to navigate CL football and the EPL because the level of play is much higher in the CL than the Europa, for example that they can't rotate players as much and they have play harder. I don't know if there is any veracity in that but it sounds logical.

I love Nketiah. I'd like to see him stay in London as I assume his family would prefer that. 40 million is a nice amount and I can't see Arteta not buying for that position. I think Nketiah has got a good future in the league at this level. He won't be Henry but no one is expecting that. I was hoping Willock would be better for Newcastle as well. Liked him.

I think Newcastle struggled in Europe for a number of reasons:
1) they had a really tough group - this is probably the biggest reason
2) the players aren't used to games every 3 days and every game being a big game
3) their prem style is fast pace physicality isn't always suited to europe - it blew PSG away in their home game but other games suited a more technical and controlled approach, and refs will whistle for physicality more in europe
4) they had a little bit of bad luck in the away game v PSG, handball in the last minute was a bit rotton.

Lets see what Arteta does now because he still has to prove himself in europan knock out games as we've limped out of europa a few times on his watch. I think the approach this term to be less crazy fast paced and transition based games, changing to a game based on control, suffocation and not giving your opponents anything at all is partly driven by what it takes in european knock out ties

Post #547464  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
On the Nketiah thing the reason why there may be some truth behind it is the same reason Chelsea are looking to sell Connor Gallagher in that FFP has some strange rule that selling academy players is considered pure profit and frees up space to sign other new players on amortised contracts.

For me Eddie to Brentford makes sense. Would get the minutes he wants and we can upgrade our forward line.

Exactly. If we sold Nketiah for £40m that is £40m pure profit in the plus column of balancing the books. In theory you could then sign a player for £200m on a 5 year deal in the minus side of the column because the £200m is amortised over the length of the contract to only count as £40m this season - so books are balanced for FFP.
Obviously you keep having 4 x more £40m in the minus column for the next 4 years which you have to balance, but it shows a simplified way clubs are being creative with their spending. The same would be true (or similar) for a player who's initial transfer fee has essentially already been paid off over the length of their initial contract.

Post #547465  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-paul-merson-transfers-szoboszlai-30951172.amp

Football pundit Paul Merson has lauded Liverpool new boy Dominik Szoboszlai and claims that the midfielder is the best signing any Premier League side made this summer

He’s had too many CBD gummies then.

Yes probably :laughing7: but to be fair to him this was about 6 games in when Kai was hitting air shots and Szobozlai was looking amazing and everyone was talking about his small feet and some weird form of foot binding they do in Hungary with young players with too small boots as if that’s all fine!!

I put this as an example of pundits saying szobozlai was the signing of the summer, if Merse is saying it you know it’s not a unique thought. Unless it’s Merse doing a Merse in some other bananas way.

Post #547466  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:26 pm 

Once again, an article about respecting refs and indiscipline using a picture of Arsenal players. Sky and talksport have done this recently as well.
We genuinely are the team who has the fewest yellow cards and is top of the fair play league. Spurs have 23 more yellow cards than us and 2 more red cards and sit bottom of the fair play league.

Why are we the poster boys for this and the only reasons are
1) to get more engagement from a large fanbase (but why not use Man U or Liverpool as well)
2) an agenda to peddle for some reason

Attachments:

Post #547467  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:30 pm 

I’d completely missed that it was Carabao Cup QF this midweek. Liverpool are plying West Ham tomorrow night. Let’s hope they’re suitably tired and carrying niggles before our game at the weekend. Not that I’d ever want a player to be injured….apart from the game they play Arsenal!!

Post #547468  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:03 am 

Mourinho said he told the club to get rid of 4 players who are still at the club. He didn't name names but with some research, they were likely Rashford, Martial, Shaw and McTominay.

I'd have taken Martial in a heart beat. Possibly Shaw.

Post #547469  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Some other bits of news.

40 mill. I'd take their hand off.

Post #547470  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Exactly. If we sold Nketiah for £40m that is £40m pure profit in the plus column of balancing the books. In theory you could then sign a player for £200m on a 5 year deal in the minus side of the column because the £200m is amortised over the length of the contract to only count as £40m this season - so books are balanced for FFP.
Obviously you keep having 4 x more £40m in the minus column for the next 4 years which you have to balance, but it shows a simplified way clubs are being creative with their spending. The same would be true (or similar) for a player who's initial transfer fee has essentially already been paid off over the length of their initial contract.

Also worth pointing out there’s another new player who falls into this category that would break a few hearts.

Emile Smith Rowe

Something might have to give. We certainly need more cover in defence and another focal point up front.

Post #547471  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:27 pm 

Odds are Villa be top of the league after the weekend is over. Yes, anything can happen but I can't see them not beating Sheffield Utd at home on Friday night. Its tough to see us getting anything more than a draw at Anfield.
I fear a loss. If by some chance we play out of our skins for 90 plus minutes, and win, we will be overhyped for the title. Too early to be saying that.

Post #547472  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:19 pm 

Hoping for Liverpool to just win tonight. Gets them in a 2 legged semi final and more fixture congestion.

Post #547473  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 pm 

They're certainly putting everything into it. Hard press against a defensive minded West Ham. Lots of possession and stringing passes together hopefully wearing themselves out for Saturday.

And as I say that they score and g 1-0 up. Come on West Ham push them as much as you can.

Post #547474  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:34 pm 

Wet paper bag… West Ham’s effort tonight… I just can’t decide what’s more pathetically flimsy… Liverpool barely got a sweat on. Oh Bowens just scored.

Post #547475  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:52 pm 

Alright. Two more games for Liverpool and they lose Salah and Endo for January. Hopefully that sinks them whatever happens Saturday.

Post #547476  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:31 pm 

https://x.com/afc_glen/status/173752031 ... -j6VVZXEoA

On his 4 year anniversary a look back at Arteta’s first interview as head coach - as it was then, before a change of title to manager. Looking back he was clear and he’s followed every word, there is no cliche, he had a plan he was going to do it his way.

We need those trophies but Arteta has completely changed the direction of this club, we were nowhere, rudderless, he’s flipped it completely. We are a serious destination for every top player in the world. The list of changes he’s made are crazy. Maybe in some downtime I’ll write down all my thoughts on it

Post #547477  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:33 pm 

Ash wrote:
Alright. Two more games for Liverpool and they lose Salah and Endo for January. Hopefully that sinks them whatever happens Saturday.

They are a serious threat this season but if them winning the league cup contributed to them just dropping 1 point in the league through fatigue or injury that they wouldn’t have otherwise dropped then I’ll happily let them win that trophy

Post #547478  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:25 am 

Interesting with regards to the Brighton fan tv point of view.

Post #547479  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:27 am 

Rich wrote:
https://x.com/afc_glen/status/1737520316270756289?s=46&t=fkwaCrtFB5yR-j6VVZXEoA

On his 4 year anniversary a look back at Arteta’s first interview as head coach - as it was then, before a change of title to manager. Looking back he was clear and he’s followed every word, there is no cliche, he had a plan he was going to do it his way.

We need those trophies but Arteta has completely changed the direction of this club, we were nowhere, rudderless, he’s flipped it completely. We are a serious destination for every top player in the world. The list of changes he’s made are crazy. Maybe in some downtime I’ll write down all my thoughts on it

Probably not as insightful as I thought it might be Rich. Broken link. :laughing7:

Post #547480  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:30 am 

Liverpool got away with resting a lot of starters. Darn it.

[ 551545 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13684, 13685, 13686, 13687, 13688, 13689, 13690 ... 13789  Next