Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 285 guests

Post #472361  Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
Today was the day the team found their mojo, never seen them try so hard, they all put in a shift, they really wanted it, was very impressed with Gendouzi he ran his socks of, as for the terrier absolutely majestic he didn't know when he was beaten, just new he would score.

If I'm not mistaken Xhaka picked up his fifth yellow card today and is suspended for Wednesday. Huge opportunity for Guendozi. Torreira and Xhaka is one of the best midfield duos in the league, so he's got some big shoes to fill.

Post #472362  Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 pm 

A banana skin was thrown at Aubameyang by one of the spurs fans today. The offender has already been arrested. Absolutely despicable

Post #472363  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Who was the one under 88%?

Kolasinac, but that might be because he was so far forward and putting in the potential final dangerous ball which is always going to drop the completion rate

Thanks. I agree with you about the reason.

Post #472364  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:26 am 

So against Man U do we start with the 11 that started the game today with Guendouzi to replace the suspended Xhaka?.....or do Lacazette and Ramsey start?

Tough one because the 11 that started dominated spurs in the first half and iwobi and Mkhitaryan were a bit unfortunate to get hooked at half time. The changes were made to chase the game so would you start with that in the next game?

Post #472365  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:31 am 

Rich wrote:
So against Man U do we start with the 11 that started the game today with Guendouzi to replace the suspended Xhaka?.....or do Lacazette and Ramsey start?

Tough one because the 11 that started dominated spurs in the first half and iwobi and Mkhitaryan were a bit unfortunate to get hooked at half time. The changes were made to chase the game so would you start with that in the next game?

That’s a bloody good question. We played very well first half without luck. Probably need to think a bit more about the Xhaka suspension first & who replaces him. One of the most enjoyable games I have watched for years & to wipe the smugness off their faces was absolutely brilliant.

Post #472366  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Who was the one under 88%?

Kolasinac, but that might be because he was so far forward and putting in the potential final dangerous ball which is always going to drop the completion rate

Kolasinac did very well in the game. He was a pillar of strength.

Post #472367  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:55 am 

Not sure who from the forum attended the game but the crowd were absolute brilliant when I watched the game highlights. Well done to our supporters & well done to Emery for giving us back our club & team. Players really have pride in playing for us. What a difference in 6 months.

I know we still have a long way to go but if anyone had told me in August we would have 30 points by early December I would never have believed them. I don’t know if we will get top 4 but I know we will give it 100% effort which is all I can ask.

Post #472368  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:55 am 

Not sure who from the forum attended the game but the crowd were absolute brilliant when I watched the game highlights. Well done to our supporters & well done to Emery for giving us back our club & team. Players really have pride in playing for us. What a difference in 6 months.

I know we still have a long way to go but if anyone had told me in August we would have 30 points by early December I would never have believed them. I don’t know if we will get top 4 but I know we will give it 100% effort which is all I can ask.

Post #472369  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:04 am 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Bum!!! Liverpool get an extra 2 points after the end of scheduled added time thanks to a ludicrous goalkeeping blooper from the England keeper.

Klopp should get a touchline van for running across the pitch when the goal went in.

Such a lucky goal, Everton more than deserved the draw

Not only should Klopp get a ban but the club should be fined a very large sum for allowing what was actually a pitch invasion. Say 100 million & strip them of 20 points. Will happily sit as an independent person to decide an appropriate penalty.

Okay you are going to think that is out of proportion, maybe just exclude them from Europe next year.

In all seriousness if the FA fail to impose a serious penalty, it would be a bad look for them. Imagine if someone like Tony Pulis ran on to celebrate a goal at some quite venue like Millwall what do you think would happen.

Post #472370  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:52 am 

Arsenal have more goals from subs and more assists from subs than any other team in the league. 15 in total (8 goals 7 assists). Next best is 11 combined. Emery knows how to use his subs

Post #472371  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:28 am 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal have more goals from subs and more assists from subs than any other team in the league. 15 in total (8 goals 7 assists). Next best is 11 combined. Emery knows how to use his subs

Refreshing change for the team and the fans. Glad the staleness of our game is gone ... for good!

That's what I have stated (see below): "Time for Emery to right the wrongs!"

Post #472372  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 am 

Was proud to be a goober at Emirates yesterday as we're the other 59000 that we're there. The smiles and chatter as we left was brilliant.

Long may wedding over them.....

Post #472373  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 am 

Not surprised to see Lichtsteiner was the one who started the brawl after Tottenham equalised, looks like he took offense to Diers celebration. He’s a bit of a hot head, doesn’t take *%^@ from anyone. With him, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Sokratis etc we have a bunch of players who are not afraid to stick up for their teammates. Need to be careful with not overdoing it, but there seems to be great team spirit developing. Glad to see us get a bit of bite and nastiness back.

Post #472374  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 am 

Many people have sniped at Arsenal fans for wanting/forcing wenger out or having a sense of entitlement. There was a lot of ‘be careful what you wish for etc’ but yesterdays game showed exactly what the fans have wanted for the past 8 or so years.
A) a manager willing to coach during the game and respond to how the game pans out.
B) a manager not afraid to drop big names or out of form players for the good of the team (Özil)
C) a manager willing to alter his tactics on a game by game basis based on an opponents strengths and weaknesses and how he sees his team winning the game
D) a manager not afraid to make substitutions early enough that change the game
E) a manager that can inspire and motivate the team to fight for the result for 90 mins
F) a manager, players and fans all pulling in the same direction
G) a manager/management team able to see the obvious gaps in the team and replace them with quality players who balance and improve the 11. Torreira was superb and has been all season.

Post #472375  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:55 am 

Not sure it was mentioned much yesterday but Sokratis was superb, as the central of the 3 he was responsible for marking Kane. Other than the penalty I can’t remember Kane having a single shot on or off target

Post #472376  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 am 

Dele Ali only made 6 passes in the second half, and 4 of those were kick offs!

I wonder if the press will give Ali the full on Özil treatment for going totally missing in a big game when his team needed him?

Post #472377  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am 

Emery started with a 3-4-2-1 formation, changed that at half time to a 3-4-1-2 with 2 out and out strikers, then changed again to a 4-3-1-2 when Mustafi went off. The changes were effective and seamless enough to feel that the players knew what the plan was and had worked on it, unlike in previous seasons where it seemed the only plan was just throw on more attackers and don’t worry about the team shape

Post #472378  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Not surprised to see Lichtsteiner was the one who started the brawl after Tottenham equalised, looks like he took offense to Diers celebration. He’s a bit of a hot head, doesn’t take *%^@ from anyone. With him, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Sokratis etc we have a bunch of players who are not afraid to stick up for their teammates. Need to be careful with not overdoing it, but there seems to be great team spirit developing. Glad to see us get a bit of bite and nastiness back.

Just finished watching with a few re-runs of all the goals. What a brilliant match!. Fans right in it and every player getting stuck in. Bellerin squaring up to Vertonghen and also coming to Xhaka's defence. The oles at the end followed by some rabid get stuck in tackles to see out the last 5 minutes. Torriera and Guendouzi fighting for every inch, defenders wearing the same boots as the Tottenham forward line. Like most have said, everything that has been missing for years and years was there to be seen.

Post #472379  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Torriera and Guendouzi fighting for every inch, defenders wearing the same boots as the Tottenham forward line. Like most have said, everything that has been missing for years and years was there to be seen.

I think the turnaround this season is remarkable because it's happening so much quicker than could be expected. There are a number of factors including, in no particular order of relevance, all of the following.

1) The new players have all done well, and Torreira, Guendouzi and Leno better than simply 'done well'.

2) Many existing players have improved. Too many to name them all, but Xhaka, Bellerin, Iwobi and Mustafi to a very significant extent.

3) We're playing better football, by getting the ball forward quicker, than used to be the case.

4) As you both imply, the team spirit is miles better. You can see that by the way players are fighting for each other and the goal celebrations.

5) The in-game management has improved vastly. Under performing players are substituted early and tactics or formations changed.

Look, we're not going to win the league as I reckon City are still on another level, even to Liverpool. But I fancy us to get a top four place, maybe even top three as I can see us finishing ahead of Tottenham, Chelsea and Manchester United.

Post #472380  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U midweek will be a very different game. Mourinho will not have a game that open. My fear as always away to a slightly wounded Man U is the game becomes overly physical and Arsenal players are left with open arms protesting at a very lenient ref. What we need to do is go full at them, take yellow cards if necessary there has to be a reaction to any physical intimidation even if it means not playing by the rule book

Agree Rich. Be looking for Mourinho to sit deep and try to hit on the counter. Not a lot of outright pace in their attack but slippery enough if given a chance. I'd be very surprised if Arsenal can replicate the energy level of the performance vs Spurs. But here's hoping. :9adore-boo:

Post #472381  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Torriera and Guendouzi fighting for every inch, defenders wearing the same boots as the Tottenham forward line. Like most have said, everything that has been missing for years and years was there to be seen.

Glad you agree Bernard. :laughing7:

Post #472382  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:05 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Man U midweek will be a very different game. Mourinho will not have a game that open. My fear as always away to a slightly wounded Man U is the game becomes overly physical and Arsenal players are left with open arms protesting at a very lenient ref. What we need to do is go full at them, take yellow cards if necessary there has to be a reaction to any physical intimidation even if it means not playing by the rule book

Agree Rich. Be looking for Mourinho to sit deep and try to hit on the counter. Not a lot of outright pace in their attack but slippery enough if given a chance. I'd be very surprised if Arsenal can replicate the energy level of the performance vs Spurs. But here's hoping. :9adore-boo:

Yeah, in a midweek away game after a grueling match like the one against Tottenham, I don’t think there’s any chance we’ll be able to repeat the sheer intensity of yesterdays game. A draw at Old Trafford is never something to scoff at, even though they look like a bit of a shambles.

Post #472383  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:11 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Yeah, in a midweek away game after a grueling match like the one against Tottenham, I don’t think there’s any chance we’ll be able to repeat the sheer intensity of yesterdays game. A draw at Old Trafford is never something to scoff at, even though they look like a bit of a shambles.

Also expect them to get some dodgy decisions in their favour and wouldn't be remotely surprised if one of them is a penalty or a sending off involved. If it's a fairly refereed game then a draw seems achievable. Speaking of fair refs, haven't seen Lomekian on here for a while.

Post #472384  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Glad you agree Bernard. :laughing7:

In error I hit the post it key too early, before I'd written anything. I've now edited it.

Post #472385  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Klopp should get a touchline van for running across the pitch when the goal went in.

Such a lucky goal, Everton more than deserved the draw

Not only should Klopp get a ban but the club should be fined a very large sum for allowing what was actually a pitch invasion. Say 100 million & strip them of 20 points. Will happily sit as an independent person to decid78e an appropriate penalty.

Okay you are going to think that is out of proportion, maybe just exclude them from Europe next year.

In all seriousness if the FA fail to impose a serious penalty, it would be a bad look for them. Imagine if someone like Tony Pulis ran on to celebrate a goal at some quite venue like Millwall what do you think would happen.

I have a feeling Bernard knows of a banned but appropriate late 19th century punishment that could be applied.

Post #472386  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm 

I'm very nervous about the Man Utd game. Mourinho seems to always pull something out of his arsenal when it comes to us. I'd take a draw now if it was offered.

Post #472387  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I think the turnaround this season is remarkable because it's happening so much quicker than could be expected. There are a number of factors including, in no particular order of relevance, all of the following.

1) The new players have all done well, and Torreira, Guendouzi and Leno better than simply 'done well'.

2) Many existing players have improved. Too many to name them all, but Xhaka, Bellerin, Iwobi and Mustafi to a very significant extent.

3) We're playing better football, by getting the ball forward quicker, than used to be the case.

4) As you both imply, the team spirit is miles better. You can see that by the way players are fighting for each other and the goal celebrations.

5) The in-game management has improved vastly. Under performing players are substituted early and tactics or formations changed.

Look, we're not going to win the league as I reckon City are still on another level, even to Liverpool. But I fancy us to get a top four place, maybe even top three as I can see us finishing ahead of Tottenham, Chelsea and Manchester United.

On today's performance I'd agree. Small worry I have is the team run the most of any team in the league and wondering if fatigue could become a problem later in the season. Some decent squad players off the bench should help and Emery seems smart enough to make the changes required but won't know till later.

Post #472388  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:46 pm 

Posted on Facebook (been going around )

… “I park in the Emirates car park in Orange 2 right next to the players in Orange 1. Özil’s merc jeep was there when I pulled up. After a while I was talking to the head steward & Özil came down muttering in German got in his jeep and drove out. I think Unai told him he was on the bench so he spat his dummy out. Muscle spasm my arse. Get rid in Jan and keep Rambo”)

Post #472389  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm 

Yes Klopp should be banned.

The whole thing was cringey and I’d be gutted if our manager was behaving like a *%^@ like that.

Increasing trend of managers with no class, Sarri and Guardiola who dress like tramps or hipsters respectively. Mourinho and his lack of any moral or class what so ever.

I like Emery who comes across as a sophisticated geezer and man of mystery

Post #472390  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

On today's performance I'd agree. Small worry I have is the team run the most of any team in the league and wondering if fatigue could become a problem later in the season. Some decent squad players off the bench should help and Emery seems smart enough to make the changes required but won't know till later.

Let's not get carried away folks. After all we're only knocking over rubbish teams like Tottenham :58big-emoticons:

Post #472391  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:59 pm 

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but amongst the numerous brilliant things yesterday (Lacazette's knee slide celebration and Kolasinac's corner flag waving being personal highlights) was Sokratis making sure Son knows what a diving cheat he is after the full time whistle. You tell him mate.

Post #472392  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Increasing trend of managers with no class, Sarri and Guardiola who dress like tramps or hipsters respectively. Mourinho and his lack of any moral or class what so ever.

Complete opposite for me, top managers these days are much more likeable than cantankerous old farts like Ferguson, Wenger and Capello. Klopp got carried away, but apologized immediately afterwards. Mourinho is the exception, he’s a real *%^@, but I have nothing against Klopp, Guardiola or Pochettino.

Post #472393  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 pm 

From a fan:
70% of the earth is covered by water
The rest is covered by Lucas Torreira

Post #472394  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm 

tomc wrote:
Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but amongst the numerous brilliant things yesterday (Lacazette's knee slide celebration and Kolasinac's corner flag waving being personal highlights) was Sokratis making sure Son knows what a diving cheat he is after the full time whistle. You tell him mate.

There's also a clip circulating of Guendozi making a 40 yard run to choke out Delle Ali. Excellent stuff.

Post #472395  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

On the whole it seems as though Emery is managing the squad minutes well. Lost of rests for the cup games. Torreira was eased in, lots of rotation in the front 4 positions. We don’t really have a player that the manager is running in to the ground unable to sub him or rest him (Kane). Kos should be back in the new year to rotate the CB more, Monreal to come back in. AMN, Emile Smith Rowe waiting in the wings
I think a signing in January would be an excellent idea, a bit of a Welbeck replacement, a player who can play wide right would be my choice as iwobi and Aubameyang play from the left, Ramsey is central, Özil is central it is only really Mkhitaryan who plays from the right.
Don’t under estimate the bounce effect a bit of new blood can bring to a team already going well.

Post #472396  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sarri and Guardiola who dress like tramps or hipsters respectively. Mourinho and his lack of any moral or class what so ever.

I've said before, despite earning millions, to me Sarri looks like he lives in a cardboard box down the Embankment tube station.

Post #472397  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:

2) Many existing players have improved. Too many to name them all, but Xhaka, Bellerin, Iwobi and Mustafi to a very significant .

Given the unbalanced squad we were left with and the limited budget we had our transfer business had to be realistic, spread well, plugging gaps and crucially required top quality for low prices and no one could afford to be a ‘miss’. All of that is an unbelievable ask and is what wenger pulled out of the hat year after year in the early days.
The quintet of Leno, Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Guendouzi, Torreira for £60-70m has been very very good business.
The added improvement of existing players should have been the easy part

Post #472398  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
Many people have sniped at Arsenal fans for wanting/forcing wenger out or having a sense of entitlement. There was a lot of ‘be careful what you wish for etc’ but yesterdays game showed exactly what the fans have wanted for the past 8 or so years.
A) a manager willing to coach during the game and respond to how the game pans out.
B) a manager not afraid to drop big names or out of form players for the good of the team (Özil)
C) a manager willing to alter his tactics on a game by game basis based on an opponents strengths and weaknesses and how he sees his team winning the game
D) a manager not afraid to make substitutions early enough that change the game
E) a manager that can inspire and motivate the team to fight for the result for 90 mins
F) a manager, players and fans all pulling in the same direction
G) a manager/management team able to see the obvious gaps in the team and replace them with quality players who balance and improve the 11. Torreira was superb and has been all season.

Your post needs grammatical touching up:

OUR MANAGER, OUR TEAM :58big-emoticons:
:21encouragement:
:22encouragement:
:9adore-boo:

Post #472399  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:12 pm 

So proud to be a gooner...........................

Post #472400  Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 pm 

Arsenal have 8 goals from outside the area this season, more than any other team and more than in any of our past 3 seasons. Nice to see our players encouraged to shoot from distance more often

[ 551322 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11807, 11808, 11809, 11810, 11811, 11812, 11813 ... 13784  Next