Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dec, Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 429 guests

Post #555801  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:33 am 

In a sliding doors moment from Maupay : he injured Leno. Martinez seizes his chance and goes on to win the FA Cup after years of being a face in the background.

Then he moves, becomes Argentina number 1, they win the Copa America, he now wins the WC. 3 honours he could never have expected before Maupay made it happen. If it was me, I’d send Maupay a Christmas card every year for the rest of my life.

Post #555802  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:05 am 

Messi got the perfect cap to his iconic career. .
Mbappe has made a strong case to be handed the reigns.
Argentina played Messi in the perfect position. He was a great pivot/fulcrum for their attack.
France needs a Zidane type in the middle again.
I would have liked to see Giroud get the winner during play.

Post #555803  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:47 am 

Hey Rich (or others) I read we are linked to him. How likely is this?

Post #555804  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:50 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Think we have real challenges when we come back boxing day. I think Jesus is a real loss so much so it could derail our season totally. I do wonder how desperate we could be to get a forward in.

Nketiah smashed a post from 9 yards with the goal wide open yesterday

You’re not alone with these thoughts. Worrying isn’t it? And I’m not sure that Emile Smith Rowe is going to be fully match fit soon enough to be able to help us.

Honestly Nketiah has looked so poor in his games this season I can’t see it being anything other than a massive problem. He always has the benefit of being clinical inside the penalty area but he’s has struggled there this season.

I think Bernard’s comments about him at the start of the year will be proved true. It’s all very well saying he’s done great when scoring againest teams on the beach chasing a new contract but to lead the line for potential champions ? Don’t see it

I think if we don’t bring anyone in you could see a weird formation change where martinelli starts up top and Emile Smith Rowe or Vieira go wide left.

Post #555805  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:32 am 

Yeah, they are our rivals but for people like me its a very interesting photo and era.

Attachments:

Post #555806  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:03 pm 

There is a very good series on the 'west' cowboy culture in America called 'Yellowstone', about a 7 generation ranching family, Dutton in Montana. I saw 1983 first before I watched Yellowstone. Had I had the will power , I'd like to wait for 1923 to finish and watch them in chronological order. Anyway, you're welcome.

A prequel was made that far exceeded the series, called 1883. It is patriarch and founder of the Dutton ranch and family in Montana. Great series. As an amateur student of history, its as close as I've read. Stars real life married country music stars Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.

Yesterday the premier of the next generation in a series after the founder, called 1923. They got Harrison Ford and your own Helen Mirren to star. I think its her doing an Irish accent in this series. The Irish, possibly more than any other European immigrant group, epitomizes America. Arriving penniless, hated almost as much as they were in England...almost...haha...but over the generations have become completely American whereby Irish surnames are now synonymous with America.

As an added clip, this is one of the most...well....I'll just let you see for yourselves, but this has been passed around as advice to the young people today. Taken from the 'Yellowstone' series.

Post #555807  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:19 pm 

It just dawned on me why our stadiums differ so much. We drive to games. So we need to put our stadiums away from the city center....hell, even far from the city. 60k, 70k, etc stadiums require a lot of acreage for cars.

While you guys take the train / public transport to local games. Just didn't think about it till now after seeing this picture of Goodison in '66.

Attachments:

Post #555808  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:15 pm 

Ramsdale wouldn't have done this. :42laughter:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/19/emiliano ... KvjdtREFNw

Post #555809  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Am I the only person who seems to think the bloke is a classless prick?

I understand the mind games and all that but lewd celebrations on a podium. Also he’s ok at penalties but he’s not a good shot stopper and shots that should be easily saved often end up in his net.

Post #555810  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I understand the mind games and all that but lewd celebrations on a podium. Also he’s ok at penalties but he’s not a good shot stopper and shots that should be easily saved often end up in his net.

I posted something similar about him a few days ago ( after the Dutch guy jumped ,fairly, for a high ball and he started giving it large to him )....never minded him for us but he truly is a p..k
I'm less than enamored with all of the Argentinians tbh...snidy, cheating classless bunch

Post #555811  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm 

Really had a lot of time for Martinez when he was with us.
Was fuming that we let him go because he was brilliant that period when he came in for Leno.
Since he left i actually cannot stand him.
Comes across as an arrogant cocky prick and seemed to not be able to shut his mouth when talking about his ‘step up’ to villa.
But *%^@ he outdid himself yesterday.
The ridiculous cringe dance he did when one of the penalties was missed and the disrespectful act in chucking the ball away before the kick was taken.
i get mind games and all that but that *%^@ was not on.
Arrogant wanker.

Post #555812  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I posted something similar about him a few days ago ( after the Dutch guy jumped ,fairly, for a high ball and he started giving it large to him )....never minded him for us but he truly is a p..k
I'm less than enamored with all of the Argentinians tbh...snidy, cheating classless bunch

His grandkids and their kids will be looking back in years to come at their grandpa using a World Cup trophy as a massive throbber. Probably the proudest moment in their families history

Post #555813  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

His grandkids and their kids will be looking back in years to come at their grandpa using a World Cup trophy as a massive throbber. Probably the proudest moment in their families history

Not classy.

Neither was leading a minute of silence for Mbappe in the Argentinian dressing room, albeit funny and richly deserved:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #555814  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:20 pm 

david.d wrote:
Was fuming that we let him go because he was brilliant that period when he came in for Leno.
Comes across as an arrogant cocky prick and seemed to not be able to shut his mouth when talking about his ‘step up’ to villa.
The ridiculous cringe dance he did when one of the penalties was missed and the disrespectful act in chucking the ball away before the kick was taken.
Arrogant wanker.

Given how Mikel got rid of Guendouzi it may be that his character was the reason he was sold.

Post #555815  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:41 pm 

Emi will regret that moment throughout his life. A momentary lapse of better judgment on his part. Could be the adrenaline from the victory.

Post #555816  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:35 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:
Arrogant wanker.

Given how Mikel got rid of Guendouzi it may be that his character was the reason he was sold.

His gesture with the golden glove trophy was totally idiotic, but his character and performances on the pitch were top class. The save he made at the end of extra-time was huge.

Post #555817  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:02 am 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

His gesture with the golden glove trophy was totally idiotic, but his character and performances on the pitch were top class. The save he made at the end of extra-time was huge.

In his farewell interview for the club in 2020, he seemed like a lovely bloke. I'm not sure what's got into him since. I'd like to blame Steven Gerrard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJysxwy ... el=Arsenal

Post #555818  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:40 am 

Andy Green wrote:

It's one thing for fans but the team? Totally classless talking about your opponent Mbappe in particular. The game is over, hard fought, celebrate and above all show some class.

Post #555819  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:54 am 

My older brother had The Specials album. I found it when he left to join the marines. Us, the younger brothers, rifled through the stuff of anyone who left for a period of time...looking mostly for Penthouse or Playboy mags. I loved that album and group. "Gangsters" being one of my favorites. Were Coventry riding that Ska wave or this is just coincidence?

Attachments:

Post #555820  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 am 

Wow, you couldn't write such a story. Two brothers, one Rangers, one Celtic.....crazy I thought while reading the caption of this pic.

Attachments:

Post #555821  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:59 am 

RIP Terry. You gave a young American boy a lot of fun in two different iconic groups. What made The Specials unique to me is that they were mixed. We didn't have such groups in the states. As I understand it the voice of the poor Windrush era kids and the poor London kids living in council estates together.

Post #555822  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:06 pm 

Blokes a complete *%^@. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Arsenal and I bet Arteta thought likewise

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-28782933

Post #555823  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Blokes a complete *%^@. I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Arsenal and I bet Arteta thought likewise

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-28782933

Lacking the class I expect of an Arsenal player. I don't care how good a goalkeeper he is.

Post #555824  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:47 pm 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/manches ... ier-league

Independent panel rule 6 VAR mistakes so far this season including Martinelli’s opening goal being disallowed v Man U

Post #555825  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:04 am 

Just a quick note to thank Judith, Rog and all the moderators for another year and to wish you all a safe Christmas.

Rog, I know this will be a difficult time for you and my thoughts are with you.

To all the other posters on here may you have a safe and enjoyable Christmas/ New Year. I suppose it will be determined in some way by our results.

Post #555826  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:09 am 

I don't remember this goal but its a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XxzNffRFfDk

Post #555827  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:16 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just a quick note to thank Judith, Rog and all the moderators for another year and to wish you all a safe Christmas.

To all the other posters on here may you have a safe and enjoyable Christmas/ New Year. I suppose it will be determined in some way by our results.

Hear hear Gaz; well said.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum - especially those suffering loss or hardship.

Post #555828  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 am 

john1 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hear hear Gaz; well said.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum - especially those suffering loss or hardship.

Thanks all - Yeah, it's been a tough year.

Post #555829  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:26 am 

Interesting interview on Sky with Carragher and Arteta. I've only seen snippets not the whole thing. Arteta said he always saw Ben White as a right back eventually. He told Xhaka he had to move in to this advanced 8 type player, or he would effectively need to replace him in the team. He said he had milestones set in his mind for the development of the team - Carragher asked him if he was ahead or behind those targets and he smiled and said ahead.

Lots of other stuff about Pep and how they talked a lot even before Arteta finished playing.

Post #555830  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:35 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpWBUWfVa2Q

Here is the full Arteta interview

Post #555831  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:47 pm 

Don’t you miss Bernard?

I do.

Post #555832  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:08 pm 

DHD wrote:
Don’t you miss Bernard?

I do.

I agree

Post #555833  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:25 am 

Me too. RIP Bernard.

Post #555834  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:17 am 

DHD wrote:
Don’t you miss Bernard?

I do.

Yes, same here.

Post #555835  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:55 am 

warrior wrote:
Thanks all - Yeah, it's been a tough year.

Yeah, it has for you, especially. Please try and take care of yourself, if not for you, she'd like that for you.

Post #555836  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:49 am 

Man U have activated their 1 year option on Rashford, but his contract still expires in 18 months. I’m sure he’ll sign a new deal at Man U but he strikes me as the sort of player who could be very good in the right system and coach

Post #555837  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:55 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U have activated their 1 year option on Rashford, but his contract still expires in 18 months. I’m sure he’ll sign a new deal at Man U but he strikes me as the sort of player who could be very good in the right system and coach

Rashford was great for them in the youth leagues but he didn't play as good as they expected when he made the first team. He's gotten better. Found his stride to some extent, but I still like Martial. Under the right team, like ours, I think he'd excel but we have Martinelli already who I think is somewhat similar in style.

Hey Rich, have we secured Matteus Cunha or has Wolves got him?

Post #555838  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:04 am 

DHD wrote:
Don’t you miss Bernard?

I do.

It’s that time of year isn’t it. Christmas New Years always up this feeling of who isn’t around.

I really feel for people who have lost members of immediate family. The thoughts of enjoyment must be paired with those who aren’t around. It can actually be a difficult time of year.

Didn’t know Bernard outside the forum but on it he was enjoyable at times but an argumentative tit in equal measures. Knowing my character we would probably got on like a house on fire off it I would imagine.

Post #555839  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:15 am 

I wouldn’t get too emotionally invested in William Saliba. I think he’s nailed on to join PSG in the summer when it will be make or break time in his contract.

These contract things are so disappointing at Arsenal. Martinelli said he just needed a pen months ago but still hasn’t signed. Saka no movement, Saliba nothing.

I’d be surprised if Gabby or Saka moved but honestly my gut feeling is Saliba will only have 1 season with us and will leave us with something of an Anelka feeling.

Post #555840  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:20 pm 

Rog it’s 8 am in Philadelphia so I imagine it’s already Christmas down under
I hope you can get some enjoyment and comfort today
Best wishes

[ 572019 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13893, 13894, 13895, 13896, 13897, 13898, 13899 ... 14301  Next