Fixtures Saturday September 18th - Burnley - Turf Moor - 3:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:50 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 12 guests

 
Post #532521  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18302

This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532522  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 19316



Cam across this on twitter of all the assists Tierney could have had with better finishing from others. Not all easy but there are some in here that are on a plate


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532523  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23934

old man of hoy wrote:
This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

I’d never come across that name (although I’d bet that Exiled has). What an amazing story. The ultimate mercenary, albeit looking after number one.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532524  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 15109
Location: Stockholm

socrates wrote:
1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?

Definitely number 2 for me as well. I rate Odegaards potential higher than Maddisons, even though Maddison is a very good player. Don't see him hitting another level compared to now, which is very good but not elite. For the price quoted we need to get elite potential at least.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532525  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

socrates wrote:
So, a question for the forum.....2 options:

1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?

It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.

Maddison for £70m or both Ødegaard and Aouar for a combined £60m? To be honest I don’t think it is a difficult one. It’s option 2 by a comfortable margin in my view. Talk of £70m for Maddison might even be madder than £50m for White.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532526  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 31035

socrates wrote:
So, a question for the forum.....2 options:


1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?


It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.


The question almost answers itself: option 2. However, my caveat with option 2 is Ødegaard seems the type that will want out to a "big" club if he has a great season.

He didn't show much interest in staying despite getting way more playing time than he would at RM. He fancies himself good enough for RM. Fair enough, he is talented. Let's face the facts. It's very unlikely he'll get much playing time there. RM bought a young gem who didn't come as good as they expected.

Also, would he start ahead of Aouar? Or would they play together? (trying to figure out that set up if so). I dont' see Ødegaard buying into our project. I don't know enough about Aouar to suggest one way or the other.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532527  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

socrates wrote:
So, a question for the forum.....2 options:


1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?


It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.


1 but there’s really not much in it.

No way will Madrid accept just 35 million for Ødegaard and likewise Lyon 25 for Aour

Out of the 3 players mentioned Maddison is the probably the most ready to compete at the level we need right now and has played in the league and wouldn’t need much adaption. Also homegrown and would add to the comradeship within the squad with our growing collection of revolting Englishman

Btw Aour strikes me as a Nasri type who would ditch us at the first opportunity and his agent is his own brother who has a reputation as a troublemaker in France and was asking prospective clubs for a 20 million fee for his services alone nevermind the transfer fee


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532528  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2945

warrior wrote:

Two I also like are Got Me Under Pressure and Legs.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532529  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5688
Location: SE9

Zed wrote:
warrior wrote:

Two I also like are Got Me Under Pressure and Legs.

RIP. A really great band.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532530  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2945

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
There are rumours Chelsea and Man City are in for him, and if that's true we don't have a chance I'd assume. But in general, I think people tend to underestimate just how big a draw the Premier League is. CL football is a draw too obviously, but Arsenal are still considered a big club. We managed to sign Partey after finishing 8th in the league, and he was a starter for an Atletico Madrid side that have challenged for, and won, big titles in recent seasons.

I think there is something going on with how Arteta and Edu are able to convince players of the 'project' we have here. Lokonga talked about buying in to it and being told we're building around younger players and giving them a platform. The Partey deal you mentioned really shouldn't have been able to be done considering his status and our immediate position at the time. Also convincing Smith-Rowe, Tierney, Saka and Balogun to all sign long term deals with the club.
Of course, money talks and I'm sure all these players are being richly rewarded for committing to us but you would like to think there is still something big about the Arsenal name. Two 8th placed finishes, but the stadium and fan base is still huge and we still have won trophies even in our lowest moments.

Arteta securing a build up of high maintenance players overtime possibly. Quality players for future attractive sell on or loan value buys when contracts end and/or not renewed. Player decides to move on. No guarantee getting into CL or even EL end of next season irregardless. Would have to be a very plausible attractive project sell with highly redeeming goals and direction obviously.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532531  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 19316

Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532532  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Fabrizio Romano tweeting that Ben White is a done deal 100%.

White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

Interesting that he apparently had his medical yesterday, the transfer fee has allegedly been agreed between the two clubs, and the terms of the contract has supposedly been agreed between Arsenal and White. I was expecting the deal to be confirmed on Arsenal.com today, but it’s now the evening and it hasn’t been.

I’ve not even heard the expert on what’s happening later the same day Ornstein saying it’s happening today. Wonder what the delay was?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532533  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 19316

Talk that Arsenal really do want Ramsdale and will go back with a 3rd bid in the region of £25m. It is supposedly our GK coach who is really pushing for this - assume the same coach who recommended Runnarsson!

Of all the links to players and prices we've heard this summer this is the one I really struggle to get my head around. No club spend £20m+ on a back up GK. They might buy a £20m GK and decide to upgrade with another expensive GK but you don't spend that on a back up so he must be being bought in to be first choice if not now then very soon.

Sometimes I think the homegrown status is given too much weight. Would we be going for Ramsdale if he was Spanish and just got relegated from La Liga? I know we need to fill the 8 home grown spots in the squad - Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Holding, White, Chambers, Balogun, Azeez, Okonkwo and I think Saliba and Martinelli would count when they are 21. and that is even if we sell all of Bellerin, Nkeitah, Nelson, Willock, AMN.

Look at some of the signings the top clubs have made for the GK position in recent years, Man U just signed Tom Heaton, Spurs signed Joe Hart, City signed Scott Carson, Chelsea have just signed Marcus Bettinelli - all of them home grown and none of them really top class, but all experienced and can fill a spot in the squad that wont get much playing time.

There will be english experienced GK who can come in a do a job and not take up valuable funds.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532534  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7652

I completely agree with you, Rich. We all remember how Almunia weakened the side. Keeper is such an important position that you just can't mess around with it. For the money being quoted, you would think Leno is on the way out and Ramsdale will be No.1. If he is being brought in as a No.2 it's a stupid extravagance.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532535  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 15109
Location: Stockholm

Rich wrote:
Sometimes I think the homegrown status is given too much weight. Would we be going for Ramsdale if he was Spanish and just got relegated from La Liga? I know we need to fill the 8 home grown spots in the squad - Saka, Emile Smith Rowe, Holding, White, Chambers, Balogun, Azeez, Okonkwo and I think Saliba and Martinelli would count when they are 21. and that is even if we sell all of Bellerin, Nkeitah, Nelson, Willock, AMN.

The thing is we don't really need homegrown players right now. Looking at the first team squad on arsenal.com we have precisely 17 that are non-homegrown, which is the maximum you're allowed to have. And that includes Runarsson, Kolasinac, Willian, Torreira and Xhaka, who are all rumoured to be leaving. Even if we only sell or loan out two of them, that would still leave room for two signings that are not homegrown - a central midfielder and a creative midfielder for example.

With regards to Ramsdale, it's hard to know how to judge him. He didn't seem to have a good season at Sheffield United, but that being said it's hard to know how to assess a goalkeeper's performance in such a poor team. The Sheffield fans seem to really rate him, and by all accounts he had a great season for Bournemouth in 19/20. He's still just 23 too, which is no age for a keeper. It's the fee that boggles the mind. Only thing I can make out of it is that we have a lot more money available than most thought going into the summer, because I can't see us signing Ramsdale and then not afford the central midfielder we need.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532536  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I watched the highlights from our 2017 FA Cup win against Chelsea yesterday, and was once again struck by just how weird Mertesacker's performance in that match was. He'd only played 37 minutes of football that entire season, but put in a man of the match performance in the final. Truly remarkable.

That got me thinking, and Mertesacker might be the most underrated Arsenal player during my time following the club. He divided opinion among Arsenal fan, and never seemed to get any credit from outside the club, but he was a great defender in my book. Not world class, but a true leader at the back, with that rare ability to make the whole defense better, raising the performance of every centre back he was paired with. Mertesacker in his peak would go straight into our current starting eleven in my opinion, and I'd have him over someone like Harry Maguire any day of the week.

There are a few other candidates for the title of most underrated Arsenal player since the mid-90's. Petit was probably underrated outside of Arsenal during his time here, but in retrospect I feel he now gets the credit he deserves from pundits and fans of other teams. I feel like Ramsey was always underrated by our own fans. Nacho Monreal had a few seasons where he flew under the radar as one of the leagues most solid full backs.

Who is the most underrated Arsenal player you've seen?

Paul Davis, Steve Williams, Anders Limpar in no particular order

I agree with Top Gun that Steve Williams and Pail Davis were underrated. But I’m not sure Anders Limpar was. He was a top player, but the impression I always got is that he was widely considered as exactly that. All three of Williams, Davis and Limpar were high quality players. I’m not sure Williams and Davis were perceived as good as they were. That makes them underrated. But I’d say Limpar was perceived as top quality, so I’ve never seen him as underrated.

I completely agree with Hazuki that Per Mertesacker was grossly underrated. Nacho Monreal was as well.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532537  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 31035

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

I’d never come across that name (although I’d bet that Exiled has). What an amazing story. The ultimate mercenary, albeit looking after number one.


Amazing story. I was wondering why it was in an American soccer site until I read the story. He may have been in my neck of the woods (Philly).

As for underrated players, I thought Giroud was under appreciated if not underrated. I think Kols is underrated to some degree. Perhaps the most underrated for me in my time as a fan may have been Edu, when he got a game he looked very good.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532538  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 31035

Rich wrote:
Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid


I didn't know who he was. Not bad from the usually biased youtube videos.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532539  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 15109
Location: Stockholm

Rich wrote:
Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid

It always strikes me as funny how strong opinions some have about players. I've seen som rubbish these links, saying Guimaraes isn't that good etc. Apart from the fact that I doubt many Arsenal fans watch Lyon regularly, he's a 23 year old player who has one season in France since coming over from the Brazilian league, not sure how anyone can definitely say he won't be good enough.

Profile wise he looks like exactly what we need to me, said to be good defensively but also gifted with the ball and able to beat the press and go past players in midfield. Perfect age too.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532540  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 19316

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid

It always strikes me as funny how strong opinions some have about players. I've seen som rubbish these links, saying Guimaraes isn't that good etc. Apart from the fact that I doubt many Arsenal fans watch Lyon regularly, he's a 23 year old player who has one season in France since coming over from the Brazilian league, not sure how anyone can definitely say he won't be good enough.

Profile wise he looks like exactly what we need to me, said to be good defensively but also gifted with the ball and able to beat the press and go past players in midfield. Perfect age too.

Truth be told unless they are a really high profile player I doubt many people have watched many players who don't or haven't played in the prem. I watch the odd CL game even though we're not in it but I don't tune in to the other European leagues - so we really are just going by the very basic facts and profile of the players linked.

Tavares and Lokonga - I'd be amazed if anyone had heard of them before this summer, but both are 21, physically decent, quick enough, and they look sharp and mobile and neither cost a lot of money. The profile was right. They may or may not work out but as a fan who knows little about them you can see the logic in the signings.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532541  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Paul Davis, Steve Williams, Anders Limpar in no particular order

I agree with Top Gun that Steve Williams and Pail Davis were underrated. But I’m not sure Anders Limpar was. He was a top player, but the impression I always got is that he was widely considered as exactly that. All three of Williams, Davis and Limpar were high quality players. I’m not sure Williams and Davis were perceived as good as they were. That makes them underrated. But I’d say Limpar was perceived as top quality, so I’ve never seen him as underrated.

.


Limpar was a class player for us and for me easily is in our top 5 wide players of all time. However for me he’s isn’t held in wide enough acclaim, he rarely gets a mention in flashback, people’s favourite sides and stuff like that and when George was demonising the player our fans never seemed that hacked off about it. He used to sub him off every week despite his efforts and it never really seems to bother folks as much as it should have.

I’ve spoke before about when Anders was brought back into the side in his final days in a game againest saints set up all 4 goals I think and was dropped the next match. No uproar

When he was sold there should have been uproar also but George didn’t even offer him a new contract. He then won the fa cup for Everton where he set up the winner.

For me he wasn’t highly regarded enough slightly but outside of Arsenal he definitely isn’t mentioned enough and was underrated


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532542  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

So we have spent 76 million ish including white and are being linked with the following players...

Maddison about 60
Ramsdale 25 ish let’s say
Guimaraes for 30

I mean that’s the best part of 200 million. Seems a lot for us right ? Selling a few players would compensate a bit but still. All these links seem strong ones too. Wonder what’s going to happen


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532543  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 31035

Years ago I saw more of the continental leagues. The Eredivisie was on American tv for whatever strange reason. They mainly showed 3 teams, Ajax, Feyenoord and and PSV, and then AZ. I liked Vitesse because of a Dutch friend I met overseas but could only see them if they played the big 3. I saw pre Arsenal van Persie, he played on the wing, not center forward. But even in a league with many great technical players, he stood out because of his close footwork for a guy that tall. I was a fan of his coming to us and was confident he'd do well.

But stopped watching the league and they took it off the schedule. Saw a fair amount of Bundesliga. The various South American leagues was what I got the most of from a channel called Fox Sports Espanol. The South American version of the Champions league was very good.

I would imagine these days there is very little secrets with internet and videos. Very, very hard to get a hidden gem in Europe. Possible eastern Europe in the Balkans...maybe. South America I think is a place you can find hidden gems. If Africa had the infrastructure I imagined more out of there as well. Although they seemed to have improved considerably.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532544  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4798

Bernard wrote:
]
I agree with Top Gun that Steve Williams and Pail Davis were underrated. But I’m not sure Anders Limpar was. He was a top player, but the impression I always got is that he was widely considered as exactly that. All three of Williams, Davis and Limpar were high quality players. I’m not sure Williams and Davis were perceived as good as they were. That makes them underrated. But I’d say Limpar was perceived as top quality, so I’ve never seen him as underrated.

I completely agree with Hazuki that Per Mertesacker was grossly underrated. Nacho Monreal was as well.


I think Paul Davis was one of the most underrated players at Arsenal. Lovely elegant player and kudos for breaking Cockerill's jaw.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532545  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:28 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I agree with Top Gun that Steve Williams and Pail Davis were underrated. But I’m not sure Anders Limpar was. He was a top player, but the impression I always got is that he was widely considered as exactly that. All three of Williams, Davis and Limpar were high quality players. I’m not sure Williams and Davis were perceived as good as they were. That makes them underrated. But I’d say Limpar was perceived as top quality, so I’ve never seen him as underrated.

Limpar was a class player for us and for me easily is in our top 5 wide players of all time. However for me he’s isn’t held in wide enough acclaim, he rarely gets a mention in flashback, people’s favourite sides and stuff like that and when George was demonising the player our fans never seemed that hacked off about it. He used to sub him off every week despite his efforts and it never really seems to bother folks as much as it should have.

I’ve spoke before about when Anders was brought back into the side in his final days in a game againest saints set up all 4 goals I think and was dropped the next match. No uproar

When he was sold there should have been uproar also but George didn’t even offer him a new contract. He then won the fa cup for Everton where he set up the winner.

For me he wasn’t highly regarded enough slightly but outside of Arsenal he definitely isn’t mentioned enough and was underrated

What uproar did you expect when he was dropped for a match or sold? Limpar played for Arsenal between 1990 to 1994 when the internet was nothing like as used as it is now. Marches in the street, demonstrations? It wasn’t going to happen. Not because he was underrated (except by Graham) but because the opportunity to express displeasure wasn’t anything like it is now.

I actually agree that Graham lost patience with him too early, but that was the manager’s bad decision. Sadly it happens and has with many, if not countless, players over time. In my view Limpar was highly appreciated by fans and for that reason I just don’t see him as underrated. Had social media been as extensively used in the early 1990s as it is now, I’m sure Graham would have received a lot more criticism for his treatment of Limpar. But as I say, the world was different then.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing about Limpar’s quality, although I’m not sure I’d put him in the top five wide players from what I assume is your era when Pires, Rocastle, Overmars, Sanchez and now Saka all spring to mind. But top five of all time, when the likes of Brady, Armstrong and Ball can be counted as well? Wilshere would have had plenty of games out wide too. Let alone the countless players I’ve not seen (including Bastin)? I think that’s over the top even though I would put Limpar ahead of Wiltord, Nasri and Ljungberg.

So in my view, Limpar’s place in the top five wide players of all time is highly debatable, rather than him ‘easily’ being in it as you say. That isn’t me underrating him. It really isn’t, as I don’t. I think he was excellent. I just think I’m being realistic.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532546  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Limpar was a class player for us and for me easily is in our top 5 wide players of all time. However for me he’s isn’t held in wide enough acclaim, he rarely gets a mention in flashback, people’s favourite sides and stuff like that and when George was demonising the player our fans never seemed that hacked off about it. He used to sub him off every week despite his efforts and it never really seems to bother folks as much as it should have.

I’ve spoke before about when Anders was brought back into the side in his final days in a game againest saints set up all 4 goals I think and was dropped the next match. No uproar

When he was sold there should have been uproar also but George didn’t even offer him a new contract. He then won the fa cup for Everton where he set up the winner.

For me he wasn’t highly regarded enough slightly but outside of Arsenal he definitely isn’t mentioned enough and was underrated

What uproar did you expect when he was dropped for a match or sold? Limpar played for Arsenal between 1990 to 1994 when the internet was nothing like as used as it is now. Marches in the street, demonstrations? It wasn’t going to happen. Not because he was underrated (except by Graham) but because the opportunity to express displeasure wasn’t anything like it is now.

I actually agree that Graham lost patience with him too early, but that was the manager’s bad decision. Sadly it happens and has with many, if not countless, players over time. In my view Limpar was highly appreciated by fans and for that reason I just don’t see him as underrated. Had social media been as extensively used in the early 1990s as it is now, I’m sure Graham would have received a lot more criticism for his treatment of Limpar. But as I say, the world was different then.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing about Limpar’s quality, although I’m not sure I’d put him in the top five wide players from what I assume is your era when Pires, Rocastle, Overmars, Sanchez and now Saka all spring to mind. But top five of all time, when the likes of Brady, Armstrong and Ball can be counted as well? Wilshere would have had plenty of games out wide too. Let alone the countless players I’ve not seen (including Bastin)? I think that’s over the top even though I would put Limpar ahead of Wiltord, Nasri and Ljungberg.

So in my view, Limpar’s place in the top five wide players of all time is highly debatable, rather than him ‘easily’ being in it as you say. That isn’t me underrating him. It really isn’t, as I don’t. I think he was excellent. I just think I’m being realistic.


Managed to keep reading till halfway through the 2nd para and thought “nah don’t bother”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532547  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2945

So AW may be returning to a managerial position with Swiss club Blick that couldn't agree to terms with him in 1995. Instead he chose Arsenal.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532548  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2945

Rich wrote:
Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid

The Brazilian connection via Edu.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532549  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19397

Rich wrote:
Some strong links to Bruno Guimaraes from Lyon. Lyon under a lot of pressure to make sales. I haven’t seen him play but reading about Guimaraes style and statistical analysis of his game he looks good. Would be a partner for Partey rather than an out and out attacking mid


Hi Rich,

We were strongly linked with Guimaraes before he joined Lyon, if I recall it was suggested that he was choosing between us and them. Whether we actually bid and it got as far as a straight choice I don't know but he was definitely on our radar so I assume we have been following him ever since.

I said the other day I was encouraged by the age and profile of player we are targeting and I am, that said time and tide wait for no man and we must start getting some "first teamer" deals over the line because the start of the season is upon us and realistically we need more quality if we are to genuinely move up some levels.

I like the White signing, I think he may turn out to be a revelation. Lokonga looks very promising and Tavares is very raw but a good athlete and could surprise. It's by no means enough though.

I keep seeing us linked with some quality players, as well as some puzzling rumours such as Ramsdale, but is there any real substance to these links or is it more a case of us making a few tentative enquiries and it being blown up into something its not.

The problem we are having, as far as it seems at the moment, is offloading our players. Clubs like them but don't want to pay anything near what we are asking because of their wages and the financial effects of Covid. In short, nobody wants to pay big wages or a big transfer fee, and who can blame them. How do you solve that one.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532550  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:13 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
What uproar did you expect when he was dropped for a match or sold? Limpar played for Arsenal between 1990 to 1994 when the internet was nothing like as used as it is now. Marches in the street, demonstrations? It wasn’t going to happen. Not because he was underrated (except by Graham) but because the opportunity to express displeasure wasn’t anything like it is now.

I actually agree that Graham lost patience with him too early, but that was the manager’s bad decision. Sadly it happens and has with many, if not countless, players over time. In my view Limpar was highly appreciated by fans and for that reason I just don’t see him as underrated. Had social media been as extensively used in the early 1990s as it is now, I’m sure Graham would have received a lot more criticism for his treatment of Limpar. But as I say, the world was different then.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing about Limpar’s quality, although I’m not sure I’d put him in the top five wide players from what I assume is your era when Pires, Rocastle, Overmars, Sanchez and now Saka all spring to mind. But top five of all time, when the likes of Brady, Armstrong and Ball can be counted as well? Wilshere would have had plenty of games out wide too. Let alone the countless players I’ve not seen (including Bastin)? I think that’s over the top even though I would put Limpar ahead of Wiltord, Nasri and Ljungberg.

So in my view, Limpar’s place in the top five wide players of all time is highly debatable, rather than him ‘easily’ being in it as you say. That isn’t me underrating him. It really isn’t, as I don’t. I think he was excellent. I just think I’m being realistic.

Managed to keep reading till halfway through the 2nd para and thought “nah don’t bother”

Well it was only three hundred words (301 to be exact) and there have been countless longer posts here by many people. Perhaps you were reading it in the middle of the night?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532551  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Managed to keep reading till halfway through the 2nd para and thought “nah don’t bother”

Well it was only three hundred words (301 to be exact) and there have been countless longer posts here by many people. Perhaps you were reading it in the middle of the night?

Conversation closed. It’s an old post now


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532552  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5688
Location: SE9

Zed wrote:
So AW may be returning to a managerial position with Swiss club Blick that couldn't agree to terms with him in 1995. Instead he chose Arsenal.

Everything I’m reading is suggesting that it’s the Swiss national team.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532553  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2475

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
This article was sent to me and may be of interest to those of you who enjoy the history stuff. Henry Boyd not only qualifies for the underrated Arsenal player vote, but most probably the largely unknown list! Quite a character.

https://www.ussoccerhistory.org/talente ... s-1891-92/

I’d never come across that name (although I’d bet that Exiled has). What an amazing story. The ultimate mercenary, albeit looking after number one.

Good point, LTG. Does anyone know where Exiled has disappeared to? A forum legend (regardless of your definition of legend: more Dennis Bergkamp than Omer Riza, anyway), and his collection of scanned Arsenal books was incredible.

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532554  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

TOP GUN wrote:
Conversation closed. It’s an old post now

Interesting. Changing subjects then, at what point do you count a post as old so the conversation closed? Less than half a day?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532555  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Conversation closed. It’s an old post now

Interesting. Changing subjects then, at what point do you count a post as old so the conversation closed? Less than half a day?

Bye Bernard


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532556  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Interesting. Changing subjects then, at what point do you count a post as old so the conversation closed? Less than half a day?

Bye Bernard

It was a simple question. Is it less than half a day when you consider a post too old to make the conversation open?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532557  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2475

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bye Bernard

It was a simple question. Is it less than half a day when you consider a post too old to make the conversation open?

Bernard, you mightn't have heard. Since Rog optimised the PHP tables on Wednesday, everything posted on the forum expires after 24 hours. It is then considered an 'old post' and forum members are forbidden from engaging with its contents.

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532558  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:20 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9542

mcquilkie wrote:
Does anyone know where Exiled has disappeared to? A forum legend (regardless of your definition of legend: more Dennis Bergkamp than Omer Riza, anyway), and his collection of scanned Arsenal books was incredible.

I was last in contact with him in early June. He’s a regular on Twitter but gave up or retired from the forum. Wouldn’t shock me if he returns one day, but that’s just my own hunch rather than anything he said to me.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532559  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14449

Reports suggesting Madrid would want 43m for Ødegaard minimum but the player only wants to join on loan again. Honestly if that’s the case we shouldn’t go near him and invest our time in players committed to a future with us.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #532560  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19397

TOP GUN wrote:
Reports suggesting Madrid would want 43m for Ødegaard minimum but the player only wants to join on loan again. Honestly if that’s the case we shouldn’t go near him and invest our time in players committed to a future with us.


I don't think he did enough to justify that kind of outlay, TG. Another loan without an option to buy is stupid.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 535350 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13311, 13312, 13313, 13314, 13315, 13316, 13317 ... 13384  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 12 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018