Fixtures Saturday May 4th - Bournemouth - Emirates Stadium - 12:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Post #389641  Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 pm 

Ash wrote:
Barca have Araujo sent off for denying goalscoring opp in the kind of challenge that routinely gets ignored in the premier league. Wish we’d had this ref for saka’s one on one with Neuer.

In my view, it was a terrible decision by the ref. Minimal contact and a ridiculous dive.

Post #389642  Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 pm 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:
Barca have Araujo sent off for denying goalscoring opp in the kind of challenge that routinely gets ignored in the premier league. Wish we’d had this ref for saka’s one on one with Neuer.

In my view, it was a terrible decision by the ref. Minimal contact and a ridiculous dive.

Yeah, he gets ahead, feels the arm on his shoulder and goes down immediately. It’s one that if he gives it, it has to be red which is why it gets waved away in the prem. and as you say, probably rightly so.

Post #389643  Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 pm 

Ash wrote:
dec wrote:

Yeah, he gets ahead, feels the arm on his shoulder and goes down immediately. It’s one that if he gives it, it has to be red which is why it gets waved away in the prem. and as you say, probably rightly so.

That ref was a nut. It wasn't a dirty game at all and he was waiving cards all over the place. Both Xavi and one of his coaches sent off.

Post #389644  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:23 am 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes, I suppose you would say it’s not like they have had some great refs decisions in the past. I suppose you think Van Persie needed to go. f Barca, F Real and Atletico. At least we won’t have to play Barca in the final.

Post #389645  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:56 am 

Ash wrote:
dec wrote:

Judging from our last few games, they are not giving those in the EPL, as you say. The CL seems a bit of a lottery. Some of the refs are laissez-faire and others blow everything.

Post #389646  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:38 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
dec wrote:

Yes, I suppose you would say it’s not like they have had some great refs decisions in the past. I suppose you think Van Persie needed to go. f Barca, F Real and Atletico. At least we won’t have to play Barca in the final.

I was about to say I don’t have any sympathy with Barca getting a rough decision in Europe. They’ve benefitted from some outrageous decisions over the years

Post #389647  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:41 am 

Dortmund going through last night has made it very difficult for England to get the 5th Champions League spot next year. I'm quite happy for England not to get it and Villa to pinch 4th spot off spurs.

https://www.football365.com/news/latest ... ons-league

Man U and Newcastle really did screw this up for the 5th placed team

Post #389648  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:18 am 

UEFA is doing the American sports thing and watering down and diluting the competition. There are times teams with just about .500 win-loss records are in the play offs in some sports. The creation of the European Conference cup is a joke. I was tickled pink for West Ham. But the truth is that competition should the 'Every one gets a trophy' cup.

Reminds me of my elder brother's kids football league. Where the parents of the kids with no talent, fight for everyone gets a trophy so little 8 year old Brad whom they spoil rotten and coddle can feel good about himself.

Post #389649  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am 

I must sound like Cannon Balls, Gunfire or Chocolate Gooner from the old days....lol.

Post #389650  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:06 am 

So what is the consensus on a new striker this summer, we all think we need one - but which one given the possible prices and impact that has on the rest of our summer recruitment:

Osimhen £105m (release clause)
Isak £100m
Gyokeres £85m (release clause)
Toney £60m
Sesko £42m (reported release clause)
Zirkzee £50m (£34m release clause for Bayern only)

The ones with the most certainty on performance would be Isak and Toney. Sesko and Zirkzee are much younger and I think they're the striker you go for if you already have a top level striker so you can mould them.

It is the biggest decision Arsenal have faced in the transfer market for some time, to take us to the next level this striker decision is huge. If we got Gyokeres and he performed as he has for Sporting but in the Prem then I think we could win the lot, but Darwin Nunez banged in a goal a game in the Portuguese league the season before his move to Liverpool.
Each one of them has pros and cons, but I think we must roll the dice.

Post #389651  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:41 pm 

I don't think we will spend another 100 mil, give or take several either side, on one player again. We'll sell first or at the same time. I think we need 3 positions filled.

Post #389652  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 pm 

High possibility that Gabriel Heinze (ex Man U defender) will join Arteta's coaching staff. Arteta knows him from playing together at PSG

Post #389653  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
So what is the consensus on a new striker this summer, we all think we need one - but which one given the possible prices and impact that has on the rest of our summer recruitment:

Isak £100m
Toney £60m

The ones with the most certainty on performance would be Isak and Toney. Sesko and Zirkzee are much younger and I think they're the striker you go for if you already have a top level striker so you can mould them.

It is the biggest decision Arsenal have faced in the transfer market for some time, to take us to the next level this striker decision is huge. If we got Gyokeres and he performed as he has for Sporting but in the Prem then I think we could win the lot, but Darwin Nunez banged in a goal a game in the Portuguese league the season before his move to Liverpool.

I really like what I have seen of Isak.

Post #389654  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't think we will spend another 100 mil, give or take several either side, on one player again. We'll sell first or at the same time. I think we need 3 positions filled.

In theory we should have some strong sales this summer. A lot of players we probably want rid of are young, english/british and have well protected contract lengths. The downside is they've mostly shown to not be good enough for us so their value is decreasing as each day passes and buying clubs will know we're eager to sell!

Ramsdale, Nketiah, Emile Smith Rowe, Nelsen, Tierney. In theory we should easily average £20m each for those 5, but you have to find a buyer, and the likely buyers for the price even close to what we want will be almost exclusively premier league teams

I think its likely Charlie Patino is sold this summer too, for all the excitement around him he's not set the world on fire in the championship - whilst there are young players from the top teams who really do show they are one of the best players in the championship

Post #389655  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I honestly think we have to.
We can see the effect that Rice has had and we need that at CF.

Post #389656  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:23 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Isak £100m
Toney £60m

I really like what I have seen of Isak.

Me too
We were linked when he was at Sociadad (with Ødegaard at the time by the way) but they insisted on a sky high fee. The worry at the time was whilst he had the talent he wasn't exactly prolific, but this season at Newcastle he's really turned it on. 17 goals in 24 league games. He has an Henry-like quality, excellent on the dribble, tall in stature, calm in front of goal and wonderful technique

The concern is the injury history - he's had 2 separate groin injuries this season and missed 13 league games with a thigh injury last season. His holder injuries seem to be knocks - but it is the more recent muscle injuries which would be more worrying
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alexand ... ler/349066

Post #389657  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
High possibility that Gabriel Heinze (ex Man U defender) will join Arteta's coaching staff. Arteta knows him from playing together at PSG

Why not. Adding a 4th Gabriel to the Arsenal staff could be quite beneficial. :angel8:

Post #389658  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm 

Very nervous for tonight; far more than normal.

COYG!!!

Post #389659  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

In theory we should have some strong sales this summer. A lot of players we probably want rid of are young, english/british and have well protected contract lengths. The downside is they've mostly shown to not be good enough for us so their value is decreasing as each day passes and buying clubs will know we're eager to sell!

Ramsdale, Nketiah, Emile Smith Rowe, Nelsen, Tierney. In theory we should easily average £20m each for those 5, but you have to find a buyer, and the likely buyers for the price even close to what we want will be almost exclusively premier league teams

I think its likely Charlie Patino is sold this summer too, for all the excitement around him he's not set the world on fire in the championship - whilst there are young players from the top teams who really do show they are one of the best players in the championship

By the way, from what I hear Lokonga has made some improvements in his game. Enough to secure a place back on the team or better to sell him? Who do we sell of the following: Elneny, Reiss Nelson, Tierney is gone (frankly we could use him right now I think), Tavares, Nketiah, Smith-Rowe?

Post #389660  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:04 pm 

BM will be tough but for us to win, we'll need two things. First, the right tactic and I won't dare say what I think the right tactic should be. That's over my pay grade. Second, we play to our capability as we have in previous big games this season where we looked great. City, Liverpool, Man Utd home, Brighton away, etc.

Post #389661  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:06 pm 

...also, a win tonight I think will reverberate into the league. Winning at BM is a huge boost mentally and tells the players they can beat anyone. They are confident. The win over City has worn off a bit. They need another iconic win.

Post #389662  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
BM will be tough but for us to win, we'll need two things. First, the right tactic and I won't dare say what I think the right tactic should be. That's over my pay grade. Second, we play to our capability as we have in previous big games this season where we looked great. City, Liverpool, Man Utd home, Brighton away, etc.

The tactics in theory could be the same as the first leg - just cut out the silly mistakes that gave them their 2 goals.
I’d also say we could do with some luck tonight - which is quite often needed in a knock out tie.

Post #389663  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 pm 

Happy with that team

Post #389664  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:02 pm 

john1 wrote:
Happy with that team

Provided they’re all 100% fit

Post #389665  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm 

Quiet in here tonight; am I the only one not in Munich??

Post #389666  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:55 pm 

john1 wrote:

Evening john1....nervously peering out from behind the sofa here in Lincoln

Post #389667  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:59 pm 

john1 wrote:

I'm glad we've gone back to Havertz up top and one feels that Martinelli is bound to put in a good performance sooner or later ... otherwise I'm not feeling very confident about this. But, once more into the breach!

Post #389668  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 pm 

Blimey. Kroenkes - father & son - in attendance.

Post #389669  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 pm 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Pretty much. I can hardly bear to watch.

Post #389670  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:01 pm 

Lincoln gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

I’m watching from behind the tree in the back garden :58big-emoticons:

Post #389671  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 pm 

Decaf wrote:
john1 wrote:

I'm glad we've gone back to Havertz up top and one feels that Martinelli is bound to put in a good performance sooner or later ... otherwise I'm not feeling very confident about this. But, once more into the breach!

You’ve got to be in it to win it.

We have every chance.

Post #389672  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 pm 

Treat those two imposters just the same, eh?

Post #389673  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:03 pm 

COME ON ARSENAL!!!

Post #389674  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:24 pm 

Decent first 20 minutes.

Post #389675  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm 

We’re having no joy whatever up our right. Benny has hardly had a touch.

Moving the press forward though. Making ground.

Post #389676  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:34 pm 

That was a good chance. We are not quite fluid but playing well nonetheless.

Post #389677  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm 

Great chance for Martinelli...straight at the keeper, unfortunately

Post #389678  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm 

We’re playing well here. Not forcing it but feels like we’re the more dominant team. Bayern are dangerous of course.

Post #389679  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
We’re playing well here. Not forcing it but feels like we’re the more dominant team. Bayern are dangerous of course.

It’s big boys stuff. The longer it goes on like this the more relaxed we should become. Good performance so far.

Post #389680  Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:42 pm 

Loosening up, here

[ 390370 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9739, 9740, 9741, 9742, 9743, 9744, 9745 ... 9760  Next