Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner and 18 guests

Post #378921  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:27 pm 

world class save from ramsdale

but, salah is offside but the linesman doesn't flag and it allows liverpool to keep building the attack

Post #378922  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:28 pm 

We should have won.

But I’d have settled for a point before the game.

Ramsdale brilliant.

Post #378923  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:28 pm 

this ref - honestly i've not seen a more one sided half

Post #378924  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:28 pm 

Ramsdale again ....

Post #378925  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:28 pm 

we had a 3 on 2 at the very end that a calmer ball would have put Saka 1v1 in to win it

Post #378926  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:29 pm 

Feel sick after that. Feels like we were robbed. But they missed a soft pen. Turned on that ludicrous decision for the foul on Xhaka for me. Such a signal of what’s going on.

Post #378927  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:29 pm 

Thank goodness for Ramsdale! I would have take a point at the beginning so that goes down disappointing but not devastating.

Post #378928  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:29 pm 

Rich wrote:

Piss off. We deserved to lose that game. 2-0 up and cruising against a mid table Liverpool side who hadn't own in their last 4 games.

Post #378929  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:29 pm 

If only we kept the pressure on till end of the first half. Alas, we were very nearly there.

Post #378930  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:30 pm 

So much for the new Arsenal mentality. Two nil up and in control, it was brown trouser time from then on. A miracle that Liverpool didn't take all three after that second half.

Post #378931  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
we had a 3 on 2 at the very end that a calmer ball would have put Saka 1v1 in to win it

We had a lot of chances to put it to bed actually. We were lacking in composure.

Post #378932  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:31 pm 

Rich wrote:

If only Jesus was still on the pitch. He would have finished that attack.

Post #378933  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:31 pm 

Ramsdale saved us from defeat :53big-emoticons:

Post #378934  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:31 pm 

Most times a draw at Anfield is a good result, but can't help feeling disappointed after being 2 up.
On to the next one.

Post #378935  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:33 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:

Piss off. We deserved to lose that game. 2-0 up and cruising against a mid table Liverpool side who hadn't own in their last 4 games.

I watched the second half with the sound off and it was a vast improvement. The crowd and commentators made is seem a lot more lopsided than it was.

Post #378936  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:39 pm 

We threw that away with a weak mentality but Arteta's game management was piss poor today.

It was obvious Zinchenko's weakness as a defender and tendency to wander out of position was going to be exploited, he should have put Tierney on at LB at halftime, taken off Xhaka and pushed Zinny into central midfield.

I thought Ben White was shite, Ødegaard was anonymous and Xhaka was his old idiotic self.

Ramsale was superb and saved us from getting beat.

Post #378937  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:41 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:

Deserved to lose?
Liverpool had nothing for 45 minutes. They made it a fight and were allowed to make it a fight. There were no huge decisions that decided the game as I thought Tierney would send one of ours off - but the momentum shift was allowed to go unchecked.

Look at the late chances we had as well. It was a game that could have gone either way.

At Anfield you are always going to come under huge pressure at some point and need your gk to make saves. We were 5 minutes away - it was hardly a bottle job some will make it out to be

Post #378938  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:42 pm 

These are the games where you learn what yer arse is for.

Should’ve won that. We are a proper team - better than them.

Excellent game for the rest of the world.

Post #378939  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:42 pm 

socrates wrote:
We threw that away with a weak mentality but Arteta's game management was piss poor today.

It was obvious Zinchenko's weakness as a defender and tendency to wander out of position was going to be exploited, he should have put Tierney on at LB at halftime, taken off Xhaka and pushed Zinny into central midfield.

I thought Ben White was shite, Ødegaard was anonymous and Xhaka was his old idiotic self.

But yet Zinchenko was in the perfect position for their 2nd, he got done with a bit of skill, he wasn't out of position

Post #378940  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Deserved to lose?
Liverpool had nothing for 45 minutes. They made it a fight and were allowed to make it a fight. There were no huge decisions that decided the game as I thought Tierney would send one of ours off - but the momentum shift was allowed to go unchecked.

Look at the late chances we had as well. It was a game that could have gone either way.

At Anfield you are always going to come under huge pressure at some point and need your gk to make saves. We were 5 minutes away - it was hardly a bottle job some will make it out to be

Come on Rich, our game management was awful after going 2-0 up and Arteta's substitutions were far too late in the day, particularly the Tierney one
which should have happened much much earlier.

Post #378941  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:45 pm 

I think we as the fans need to move away from the 'weak mentality' stuff today. I don't think you can see what we've done this season and then say we've suddenly gone weak.

Sometimes results don't have anything to do with anything going on between your ears, sometimes you're under pressure and the other team deserve the goals and points they get - it doesn't always have to be psychological.

This was Liverpool's cup final - they rested played at Chelsea so they could go full throttle at this and we played them off the park for half of that game, then they came back at us once the game became unstructured and a battle

Post #378942  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

But yet Zinchenko was in the perfect position for their 2nd, he got done with a bit of skill, he wasn't out of position

His one v one defending at LB is always an issue, he was brilliant going forward but Tierney is a natural LB and far better one v one.

We were lucky to get a point in the end.

Post #378943  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:48 pm 

Lesson for the travelling support, don't sing 'we're gonna win the league' after 30 minutes at Anfield. Thought Arteta was struck with inertia in the second half. Liverpool still have great players but we weren't clever enough to deal with a biased ref and switched momentum. Overall, though a point is ok and in the cold light of day it will be accepted as such.

Post #378944  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:50 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Deserved to lose?

Come on Rich, our game management was awful after going 2-0 up and Arteta's substitutions were far too late in the day, particularly the Tierney one

Roy Keane has just said Arsenal should be delighted with the point and defending that Kop is just incredibly difficult. Keane isn't known for his low standards.

I think you can always look at games with hindsight, zinchenko was still the best way of us having any form of control when we had the ball in the second half. It is too easy to say changing your left-back would have won that game for us.

Post #378945  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Deserved to lose?

Of course it wasn't a bottle job, but it was a poor second half from us. We were lucky. They had far more shots and chances. Ramsdale was MOTM for a reason.

Post #378946  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:52 pm 

Even at 2 -0 up I wasn't confident . Went back to bed couldn't bear the disappointment of relinquishing that lead which I was certain would happen .

Bugger is it is the title race is not in our hands anymore , six points clear Citee have a game in hand .... they win that they are three behind , they beat us in our encounter and they are level with a vastly superior goal difference .

With that enormous lumbering albino ***%$ leading their attack if I'm betting the house on it I think we will come up just short .

Post #378947  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:53 pm 

danny wrote:
Lesson for the travelling support, don't sing 'we're gonna win the league' after 30 minutes at Anfield. Thought Arteta was struck with inertia in the second half. Liverpool still have great players but we weren't clever enough to deal with a biased ref and switched momentum. Overall, though a point is ok and in the cold light of day it will be accepted as such.

I think the problem Arteta has is when he looks at the bench he doesn't see many options to slot in to the side and play the game how he wants to play it.
yes he can do a straight swap at LB and he can bring Trossard on - but that is really about it.
swapping the LB is a very different way for us to play - and to be honest if I was to either back Arteta's tactical decisions vs fans who react with hindsight.

There was not one person on the forum who said zinchenko should be subbed off for Tierney at any point in the game

Post #378948  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Roy Keane has just said Arsenal should be delighted with the point and defending that Kop is just incredibly difficult. Keane isn't known for his low standards.

I think you can always look at games with hindsight, zinchenko was still the best way of us having any form of control when we had the ball in the second half. It is too easy to say changing your left-back would have won that game for us.

I think putting Tierney on at LB and Zinny into midfield instead of Xhaka leaves us more defensively solid whilst allowing Zinny to use his technical skills higher up the pitch without so much defensive responsibility.

Post #378949  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
danny wrote:

I think the problem Arteta has is when he looks at the bench he doesn't see many options to slot in to the side and play the game how he wants to play it.
yes he can do a straight swap at LB and he can bring Trossard on - but that is really about it.
swapping the LB is a very different way for us to play - and to be honest if I was to either back Arteta's tactical decisions vs fans who react with hindsight.

There was not one person on the forum who said zinchenko should be subbed off for Tierney at any point in the game

No one said that, I said Tierney should have come on at LB making us more defensively solid against a team who on top, slot Zinny into midfield and take Xhaka or even Ødegaard off.

Post #378950  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think putting Tierney on at LB and Zinny into midfield instead of Xhaka leaves us more defensively solid whilst allowing Zinny to use his technical skills higher up the pitch without so much defensive responsibility.

Yes I agree 100%

Post #378951  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:58 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Jorginho for Xhaka was an option either. Taking off Ødegaard was very odd. But....Arteta has done a phenomenal job so it's hard to be critical.

Post #378952  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:59 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

No one said that, I said Tierney should have come on at LB making us more defensively solid against a team who on top, slot Zinny into midfield and take Xhaka or even Ødegaard off.

After the final whistle. That change is a tactic that Arteta hasn't done once this season, to play Tierney and Zinchenko.

Post #378953  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:00 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

Jorginho for Xhaka was an option either. Taking off Ødegaard was very odd. But....Arteta has done a phenomenal job so it's hard to be critical.

I don't think it was a game for Jorginho - it was too frantic for him. He's good at keeping the ball and recycling it, but under immense press and pressure he can get picked off

Post #378954  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:00 pm 

Yeah wouldn’t have subbed Ødegaard either

Post #378955  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

After the final whistle. That change is a tactic that Arteta hasn't done once this season, to play Tierney and Zinchenko.

I was screaming at Arteta to put Tierney on just after half time. They were getting some joy down our left and it just seemed the obvious change to make. Put on a quicker more defensively solid LB and allow Zinny to express his obvious quality in the Xhaka role.

Post #378956  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Yes I agree 100%

But as I said it is not a tactic Arteta thinks makes us more defensively solid. He hasn't done it once this season, despite numerous games where we had a 1 goal lead and successfully closed out the game.

Post #378957  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

I don't think it was a game for Jorginho - it was too frantic for him. He's good at keeping the ball and recycling it, but under immense press and pressure he can get picked off

Yeh, I think it was a bit too fast paced and frantic for Jorginho.

Imagine a Caicedo or Declan Rice in the midfield alongside Partey today.

Post #378958  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:05 pm 

I didn't think it was a pen either.

Post #378959  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Yes I agree 100%

But as I said it is not a tactic Arteta thinks makes us more defensively solid. He hasn't done it once this season, despite numerous games where we had a 1 goal lead and successfully closed out the game.

Doesn't mean its not the right tactic in a game of this magnitude, against this level of opponent at Anfield.

Post #378960  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:09 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... -favourite

[ 391136 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9471, 9472, 9473, 9474, 9475, 9476, 9477 ... 9779  Next