Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 44 guests

Post #316841  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm 

Wenger inherited the following key players of required level..

Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Keown, Bould, Parlour,Merson, Platt, Wright, Vieira and Bergkamp (inc 6 players who had won the league already)

Emery inherits

Aubameyang, Bellerin, Lacazette

... then fails to deliver an instant remedy.

*%^@ OFF EMERY YOU USELESS *%^@ BASKET!!! WHY DIDNT WE WIN THE LEAGUE!!!

Post #316842  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm 

Post #316843  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:19 pm 

City have 13 straight wins, will likely make it 14 and win the title by a point. It is staggering that they had to go on 14 straight wins to win the title, not 1 mistake allowed, and often the pressure was always on them as they played after Liverpool. And fair credit to Liverpool, a points total that deserves to win the title, to push this billion pound team so close is tremendous.

As much as Pep is known for attacking football City have kept 10 clean sheets in that run of 13 wins.

Who knows what might happen next weekend but as we've been waiting for one of these two teams to lose or even draw for months now I don't think anyone would bet against two more wins.

If City win it is down to that Sane goal to beat Liverpool 2-1. If Liverpool somehow snatch it it is down to Mahrez missing a last minute penalty at Anfield. Both 11's are very evenly matched, City just have the better squad depth - I mean their player of the season last season (De Bruyne) has played about 4 matches all season, and they lost Mendy all season. Imagine Liverpool without Salah and Robertson all season?

Post #316844  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s funny but when Klopp inherited that clown mignolet and all those gash defenders and couldn’t keep a clean sheet nobody was saying he should have improved the defence in a short period of time. He was told he needed new players and voila Allison and Van dijk arrive !

Emery inheritances a 37 year old keeper and 2 defenders who are 33 and shot to pieces plus a clown centre half Everton let go because they considered he wasn’t good enough and everybody thinks he should do better.

Arsenal fans are the new chelsea fans. Yessss

If Emery can find a relegated £8m left back as good as Robertson, a youth team full back as good as Trent Alexander-Arnold then fair play. Signing VvD wasn't genius, but having the balls to do it for £75m knowing it had to work 100% or you are slaughtered is very good. Ditto with the GK Alisson.

Klopp has done more than just the defence, his midfield trio - whoever it is - are absolute workhorses, they know exactly where they should be and what their role is, all 3 play a kind of box to box role. All 3 cover the full backs, take the ball off the defence and quickly feed a devastating front 3. Liverpool, even with their ultra attacking full backs haven't conceded a counter attacking goal all season. That isn't because VvD and whoever partners him form an unpenetrable duo it is because the cover from the midfield 3 is exceptional. Add in the very aggressive team high press starting with the front 3 and the opposition barely have chance to counter.

Klopp had an image and style he wanted his team to play, it was pretty much the same blueprint from Dortmund. He stuck with it and ingrained it in the squad even though he didn't have all the pieces to make it work. I'm not sure what Emery's style is yet?

Post #316845  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s funny but when Klopp inherited that clown mignolet and all those gash defenders and couldn’t keep a clean sheet nobody was saying he should have improved the defence in a short period of time. He was told he needed new players and voila Allison and Van dijk arrive !

Emery inheritances a 37 year old keeper and 2 defenders who are 33 and shot to pieces plus a clown centre half Everton let go because they considered he wasn’t good enough and everybody thinks he should do better.

Arsenal fans are the new chelsea fans. Yessss

If Emery can find a relegated £8m left back as good as Robertson, a youth team full back as good as Trent Alexander-Arnold then fair play. Signing VvD wasn't genius, but having the balls to do it for £75m knowing it had to work 100% or you are slaughtered is very good. Ditto with the GK Alisson.

Klopp has done more than just the defence, his midfield trio - whoever it is - are absolute workhorses, they know exactly where they should be and what their role is, all 3 play a kind of box to box role. All 3 cover the full backs, take the ball off the defence and quickly feed a devastating front 3. Liverpool, even with their ultra attacking full backs haven't conceded a counter attacking goal all season. That isn't because VvD and whoever partners him form an unpenetrable duo it is because the cover from the midfield 3 is exceptional. Add in the very aggressive team high press starting with the front 3 and the opposition barely have chance to counter.

Klopp had an image and style he wanted his team to play, it was pretty much the same blueprint from Dortmund. He stuck with it and ingrained it in the squad even though he didn't have all the pieces to make it work. I'm not sure what Emery's style is yet?

It’s 4 at the back, play out from the back, press high up the pitch and attack at pace.

Emery was asked about his style. “My idea is to be protagonists,” he said. “The history here is a team that love playing with possession and I like that personality. When you don’t have possession, I want a squad that are very, very intensive with the pressing. The two things are important for me to be protagonists – possession of the ball and pressing when you don’t have the ball.”

Post #316846  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 pm 

We need to look carefully at our homegrown quota. Ramsey and Welbeck leaving, Jenkinson HAS to go. Nelson can help, but there is a need to bring some young home grown players in our promote youth in order to be able to enjoy being able to have spaces for the foreign players.

Post #316847  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 pm 

I gotta assume there are people in the club who are in charge of compliance. But one never knows. lol

Post #316848  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:50 pm 

I haven't given this too much thought but this would be my step by step to fix Arsenal.

Appoint a technical director and head of scouting who will all work with Sanllehi and importantly all have the same vision for moving Arsenal forward.
This vision should include:
Everything at the club is geared towards the first team and winning trophies - every decision must have that in mind
Dedication to fast attacking football
Buying the best young players in world football
Promoting the best youth team players
Every player bought or promoted to give no less than 100% in every game - player attitudes are crucial
Ensure the team has leaders
Bring back the very best of the old Arsenal players - coaches, ambassadors etc - ensure the qualities and standards that existing in those multi-trophy winning players are installed in every player so there is something 'special' about playing for Arsenal
Dedication to be at the forefront of innovation - if you stand still you're moving backwards in football
Ensure the manager buys in to this vision, or hire a manager who fits with it.
Ensure the back-room team are maximising every commercial opportunity possible
Act quickly on players who are not performing
Never allow a player to run down their contract unless they are a Čech like situation, retiring but still able to perform at the top level in his last years
Sign or develop players fit for the premier league - PACE and POWER
Ensure the youth team is fit for purpose 1) producing players for the first team 2) producing players who will be sold for a profit to help the first team
Improve our media relations and publicity
Improve relationships with the fans - listen to the fans
Stop handing huge contracts to young players after a few good games

I've purposely not included anything about Kronke in here, because as much as we loathe him I do believe all of the above is possible no matter what input we have from Stan and Josh

Post #316849  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:08 pm 

Here’s one off the list rich...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 02661.html

Post #316850  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
...*%^@ OFF EMERY YOU USELESS *%^@ BASKET!!! WHY DIDNT WE WIN THE LEAGUE!!!
Whoever could have expected him to achieve that? In his first season a Europa League placing and a decent run in the cups was the limit of my ambitions, and that has been achieved. However, you have to say the falling away after the good early unbeaten run, and the woeful set of league resullts in April and May (4 points from 18 possible against teams below us), leave biq question marks over both players and manager. The prize of ECL qualification was there for the taking and blown.

Post #316851  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:20 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
...*%^@ OFF EMERY YOU USELESS *%^@ BASKET!!! WHY DIDNT WE WIN THE LEAGUE!!!
Whoever could have expected him to achieve that? In his first season a Europa League placing and a decent run in the cups was the limit of my ambitions, and that has been achieved. However, you have to say the falling away after the good early unbeaten run, and the woeful set of league resullts in April and May (4 points from 18 possible against teams below us), leave biq question marks over both players and manager. The prize of ECL qualification was there for the taking and blown.

I agree, the injuries, volume of games and all the utter gash players he inherited shouldn’t be considered.

PISS OFF BACK TO THE BASQUE COUNTRY EMERY YOU FARMER!!!!

Post #316852  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:13 pm 

Attachments:

Post #316853  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Saw some quotes from Edu when he became Brazil technical director, some sound bites were encouraging. He talked about reconnecting with the nations fans, holding open and free training sessions so the fans, the majority of whom can’t afford tickets, can come and see the team. He bought back an identity to the team.
Whether he can do that with us is unknown but I like that he thinks beyond just a very basic role, the importance of the vision and Everton buying in to it is so important. That means, directors, management, players and fans.
Also I like the idea that we may be able to have a lead in to Brazilian and South American market

Post #316854  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:09 pm 

Watching Liverpool v Barca. Good game.
Impressed how Liverpool can get the ball forward and it sticks so often, that can be an accurate longer pass or sometimes just a clearance that the striker makes something off and the midfield are on their toes for the back up and second ball. Key for the strikers to be ‘ready’ at all times when the team is defending - as soon as it is won back they make a run or show for the ball.
Origi - a relatively average striker is having a good game, he’s just playing to his strengths, pace, strength, workrate, decent in the air. Any striker with those attributes and willing to make intelligent runs and work their balls off will cause any defence problems

Post #316855  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm 

Spurs would lose to Barca but could beat Liverpool :26surprise:

Post #316856  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Watching Liverpool v Barca. Good game.
Impressed how Liverpool can get the ball forward and it sticks so often, that can be an accurate longer pass or sometimes just a clearance that the striker makes something off and the midfield are on their toes for the back up and second ball. Key for the strikers to be ‘ready’ at all times when the team is defending - as soon as it is won back they make a run or show for the ball.
Origi - a relatively average striker is having a good game, he’s just playing to his strengths, pace, strength, workrate, decent in the air. Any striker with those attributes and willing to make intelligent runs and work their balls off will cause any defence problems

3-0 Liverpool. Game well and truly on.

Post #316857  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:25 pm 

Seems you can't count this Liverpool out.

Post #316858  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:26 pm 

...and with no Salah or Firmino

Post #316859  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Spurs would lose to Barca but could beat Liverpool :26surprise:

I think Liverpool are a better side than Barcelona and Spurs can beat either in a one off game, as can Ajax.

Post #316860  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm 

oh my....Liverpool are winning 4 nil!

Post #316861  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:42 pm 

Bored wrote:
oh my....Liverpool are winning 4 nil!

Hell of a game. Enthralling and memorable.

Post #316862  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:43 pm 

Alexander Arnold has been sensational just superb

Liverpool are everything we aren’t. They fight for every single ball and are wide awake to every aspect of the play

Post #316863  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 pm 

How do I wish we could have played this flakey Barcelona and the Bayern that Liverpool put out when those two teams knocked us out 5 years in a row

Post #316864  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:45 pm 

I officially hate football.

Post #316865  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:46 pm 

I’m pleased for Liverpool but my goodness Ill be bricking it tomorrow night during the spurs game.

Post #316866  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:49 pm 

Liverpool press, press, press relentlessly. Fight for every ball

It’s impossible to watch the way they play and not reflect on arsenal

Post #316867  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:50 pm 

Was that Arnold corner sheer improvisation or was it pre-planned? I wonder.

Post #316868  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:51 pm 

Liverpool’s fitness levels are amazing.
They play very high intensity football, they train insanely hard, keep it up for 90 mins, hardly rotate any of their best players and suffer hardly any major injuries. It’s incredible.

Post #316869  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Liverpool press, press, press relentlessly. Fight for every ball

It’s impossible to watch the way they play and not reflect on arsenal

Nah. It’s good but not a patch on The Arsenal vs Brighton game. :42laughter:

Post #316870  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 pm 

Unbelievable!

Post #316871  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 pm 

Respect to the Scousers…..

Post #316872  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 pm 

Hate them but got to give credit - amazing that they are owned by Americans, sadly we got the worst kind..

Post #316873  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:58 pm 

Bored wrote:

Absolutely.

Post #316874  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool’s fitness levels are amazing.
They play very high intensity football, they train insanely hard, keep it up for 90 mins, hardly rotate any of their best players and suffer hardly any major injuries. It’s incredible.

PED's?

Post #316875  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm 

Bored wrote:

Absolutely, 2 big injuries to key players but they believe in what they are doing, players come in and know the job, the intensity is right - everyone pulling in the same direction.

It’s very easy to admire them, obviously their obnoxious and arrogant fans will make it very easy to hate them again

Post #316876  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Definitely just a bit of quick thinking. Crazy stuff from Barca

Post #316877  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bored wrote:

Absolutely.

Agreed. Stunning.

Post #316878  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 pm 

Incredible performance from the mickies. I have rarely seen any sides dominate Barca, even the 1st leg was an unjust scoreline. Of course this isn't a vintage Barca side but it still contains Messi.

The sad thing is it just reminds you just how far we are away from those kind of worldclass levels.

Post #316879  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 pm 

That was the sort of performance and occasion that reminds one why one started watching football in the first place. Often easy to forget that nowadays despite the incessant Sky Super Sunday hype.

Post #316880  Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:20 pm 

dec wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Definitely just a bit of quick thinking. Crazy stuff from Barca

You’re right. Klopp wasn’t expecting it either. In fact he missed it being taken.

[ 391422 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7919, 7920, 7921, 7922, 7923, 7924, 7925 ... 9786  Next