Fixtures Saturday May 4th - Bournemouth - Emirates Stadium - 12:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Post #389761  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
danny wrote:
Also Saka needs a rest.

...and Ødegaard. But we can't really afford to rest him now. Saka can be temporarily replaced (Jesus, even Trossard) but not Ødegaard.

Next season there has to be more players in the team to share the creative burden from Ødegaard. I would love to see a map of the positions Saka first touches the ball before he scores or assists, my betting would be virtually none of them would be from the touchline but that must be where he receives the ball the most. This is part of the reason I’d like to see a dynamic attacking right back in our side, the full backs pushes on and holds the width and Saka positions himself as more of an inside forward. See where Salah generally plays because he has a full back who stays wide.

Post #389762  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm 

Martinez gets a second yellow card during the penalty shoot out but is not sent off…..due to a rule I didn’t know that yellow cards reset themselves before the penalty shootout, so that second yellow isn’t a sending off.

Frankly it’s a stupid rule because it basically allows every gk a free hit at a bit of nonsense in the shootout. The psychological aspect is so important why wouldn’t a go just act like a pillock just once to one player, take his yellow with zero consequences

Post #389763  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Martinez gets a second yellow card during the penalty shoot out but is not sent off…..due to a rule I didn’t know that yellow cards reset themselves before the penalty shootout, so that second yellow isn’t a sending off.

Frankly it’s a stupid rule because it basically allows every gk a free hit at a bit of nonsense in the shootout. The psychological aspect is so important why wouldn’t a go just act like a pillock just once to one player, take his yellow with zero consequences

Well done Unai and AVilla. Not a great team at all but a bit like George at Arsenal, Unai is getting maximum from his players on these nights. It’s not just the players who need experience, the manager needs a couple of game plans and know the moment to change tactics.

Post #389764  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:15 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well done Unai and AVilla. Not a great team at all but a bit like George at Arsenal, Unai is getting maximum from his players on these nights. It’s not just the players who need experience, the manager needs a couple of game plans and know the moment to change tactics.

I don’t know any Arsenal fans who bear any ill will towards Emery, despite what the media try to stoke up. I think he’s a tremendous manager but probably one that really excels in that slight underdog position and obviously his time at Arsenal didn’t work out but it was a completely sensible appointment at the time. There was too much nonsense off the pitch for him, he seemingly had no say in transfers and the Kronke team certainly weren’t as active as they are now. Could Emery have got us where we are now if he’d had the same back room and owner engagement as Arteta? Maybe, but there is still something for me that Emery doesn’t play aggressive dominant attacking football enough to be consistently at the top. At Villa his good results will get magnified and the poor ones quickly forgotten - like the hammerings by Newcastle and Spurs, losing to Forest, losing twice to Man U etc. which is the opposite of what you get at a really big club

Post #389765  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
The worry now is we look a bit cooked physically for the run in, and I really can’t see many options to freshen things up and keep the quality.

The seasons done Rich.

Jeez… I hope the players have got bigger balls than some of our so called “supporters”.

Post #389766  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I don’t know any Arsenal fans who bear any ill will towards Emery, despite what the media try to stoke up. I think he’s a tremendous manager but probably one that really excels in that slight underdog position and obviously his time at Arsenal didn’t work out but it was a completely sensible appointment at the time. There was too much nonsense off the pitch for him, he seemingly had no say in transfers and the Kronke team certainly weren’t as active as they are now. Could Emery have got us where we are now if he’d had the same back room and owner engagement as Arteta? Maybe, but there is still something for me that Emery doesn’t play aggressive dominant attacking football enough to be consistently at the top. At Villa his good results will get magnified and the poor ones quickly forgotten - like the hammerings by Newcastle and Spurs, losing to Forest, losing twice to Man U etc. which is the opposite of what you get at a really big club

Yes, he likes the underdog. He did get us to a Ruropean final which have been few and far between in our history.

Post #389767  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am 

Funny story but isn't he also confirming that referees cheat?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/962587768577981

Post #389768  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 am 

I've always wondered why more keepers don't just hold their ground as I've seen more than a few PKs go right down the middle or just off the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1130405094752263

Post #389769  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 am 

RM had City PKs all sussed out.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C55iJDnM ... 9ubg%3D%3D

Post #389770  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Funny story but isn't he also confirming that referees cheat?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/962587768577981

I always say if you have two opposing views of
a) refs are completely unbiased
b) refs are human and will always have some form of unconscious bias

then I think b) is a far more reasonable approach. Imagine having someone like Craig Bellamy chipping away at you all game then you have to make a 50/50 call involving him and another player? Or you have to make that 50/50 call involving the england captain? Or you have to make a 50/50 call with a player who the media have decided and continually tell everyone is ill disciplined and a walking red card?

Post #389771  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I can't believe there is anything in Rudiger guessing the right way. The GK would not have been looking to half way to see what Rudiger is telling him to do, and no doubt there are countless examples of players on half way pointing one way and the player going the other. Videos like this feel like the guy who always shows you and brags about his gambling wins but never his losses

Post #389772  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've always wondered why more keepers don't just hold their ground as I've seen more than a few PKs go right down the middle or just off the middle.

I think in a shoot out with players who don't take penalties usually it is a valid tactic, but I'd want to see the stats of how often the kicks are placed there.

One of the interesting factors in penalties is the time the penalty taker takes between the ref blowing his whistle and him kicking the ball. Lots of players shoot very quickly after the whistle, and are shown to be 'ready' and glancing at the ref waiting for him to blow the whistle - all shown as avoidance of the situation tactics.

Someone did analysis of our community shield penalties v City and every single one of our players was waiting up to 5 seconds after the whistle was blown - so they take control of the situation and remain clam, whereas all of City's players were taking less than 2 seconds.

Post #389773  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 am 

Park Lane, Tottenham. Brave words if they weren't said way north of the Thames. :42laughter:

Attachments:

Post #389774  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am 

How about this for a team of the season. Not sure there have been any real stand out GK, RB, LB so happy to hear any alternatives
GK: Raya
LB: Udogie
CB: Van Dijk
CB: Gabriel
RB: Walker
CM: Rodri
CM: Rice
AM: Foden
RM: Palmer
LM: Gordon
FW: Watkins

Honorable mentions: Martinez, Saliba, Konsa, Robinson, Douglas Luiz, Bowen, Saka, Salah, Solanke, Haaland, Isak

Post #389775  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I think in a shoot out with players who don't take penalties usually it is a valid tactic, but I'd want to see the stats of how often the kicks are placed there.

One of the interesting factors in penalties is the time the penalty taker takes between the ref blowing his whistle and him kicking the ball. Lots of players shoot very quickly after the whistle, and are shown to be 'ready' and glancing at the ref waiting for him to blow the whistle - all shown as avoidance of the situation tactics.

Someone did analysis of our community shield penalties v City and every single one of our players was waiting up to 5 seconds after the whistle was blown - so they take control of the situation and remain clam, whereas all of City's players were taking less than 2 seconds.

In 4th grade I played in an indoor hockey league as a GK. In a breakaway I would go half a foot to one side and let the player see just enough of a bigger space to go to that side. It worked. Okay, we were 10 years old or so.

Why wouldn't a keeper line up just off center, just enough to suggest the other way is a bigger target? Yes, he can place so far to the side you can't reach it but if you know where he's most likely to go and you take off as hes about to shoot it, well....

Post #389776  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 am 

Rich wrote:
How about this for a team of the season. Not sure there have been any real stand out GK, RB, LB so happy to hear any alternatives

Honorable mentions: Martinez, Saliba, Konsa, Robinson, Douglas Luiz, Bowen, Saka, Salah, Solanke, Haaland, Isak

Not bad but I'd put Saliba in the first XI. Son needs to be somewhere.

Post #389777  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am 

Rich wrote:

Martin Ødegaard says "Hello".

Post #389778  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 am 

Best retort I've read for some time.

Attachments:

Post #389779  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm 

Hey Old Man - trust you're still drawing breath?

I don't post much these days since I seem to attract the immediate attention of a mongrel called Tel - you there Tel? Good boy. Good boy. Stayyyyy...

Before the moment passes, and notwithstanding your Surrey allegiances, I thought that as a 'Kentish Man', you might want to share with me an appreciation of Derek Underwood. What a bowler. A true one-off. I've never seen an action or a method quite like him. Maybe Chandrasekhar came closest.

Left arm - fast spinner or slow medium pacer? Tricky - and he was that in spades, particularly on the right pitch. Sharp guy as well. Chairman of my Club. Splayed feet paddling in like Gollum. Left arm swinging and dragging slightly, like he was carrying a takeaway.

Bernard would undoubtably agree, bless him.

Post #389780  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 pm 

DHD wrote:

I don't post much these days since I seem to attract the immediate attention of a mongrel called Tel - you there Tel? Good boy. Good boy. Stayyyyy...

Have you tried speaking to medical professional? I think you might be in need of some help! :14laughter:

Post #389781  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
DHD wrote:

Have you tried speaking to medical professional? I think you might be in need of some help! :14laughter:

There you are. Good boy.

Tosser Tel.

Post #389782  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 pm 

DHD wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

There you are. Good boy.

Tosser Tel.

Is there really any need to be so abusive? Keyboard warrior! :14laughter:

Post #389783  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:14 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Park Lane, Tottenham. Brave words if they weren't said way north of the Thames. :42laughter:
And then they grew up into these guys ...

Post #389784  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:58 am 

DHD wrote:

Before the moment passes, and notwithstanding your Surrey allegiances, I thought that as a 'Kentish Man', you might want to share with me an appreciation of Derek Underwood. What a bowler. A true one-off. I've never seen an action or a method quite like him. Maybe Chandrasekhar came closest.

Left arm - fast spinner or slow medium pacer? Tricky - and he was that in spades, particularly on the right pitch. Sharp guy as well. Chairman of my Club. Splayed feet paddling in like Gollum. Left arm swinging and dragging slightly, like he was carrying a takeaway.

Bernard would undoubtably agree, bless him.

Welcome to my world....I have a list of them. Anyway, annoying as trollers can be, their intent is to run you off and they win. I understand though, it gets more than annoying. (between you and me there is a 'foe' button in the settings. Won't even be able to see the posts unless its quoted by another :42laughter: ) I've not had a caustic word in at least a decade or so and still get trolled. Have to respect the obsession if you leave out the pathology of it.

As for cricket I have a working knowledge of it. The basics. I live and around a few Indians and I break the ice in stores, etc. by asking if they are a spin or pace bowler. Americans aren't supposed to know that from what I understand.

Post #389785  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:42 am 

Okay, back to football. I hate both City and Chelsea so don't care who wins there. As for today's match, lets see what Arsenal side turns up. Wolves will smell blood and are more than capable of getting a draw or a win if we are not up to it.

My worry is we are both tired physically and mentally. I am guessing Arteta will switch things up. I won't be surprised if Trossard starts as and perhaps Smith Rowe. Does Saka need a rest? Maybe come in off the bench second half?

Post #389786  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:34 am 

Most American fans are fairly convinced the NFL and NBA are rigged. Not all games but the ones that matter. Also for certain players. Wilt Chamberlain said the NBA changed its rules to stop him and later changed the rules to help Michael Jordan the face of the league. The NFL and the NBA have pretty much outlawed defending.

For a time the NFL seemed to prefer big media market cities to be in the finals as its more money. Who knows for sure. With video some calls were head scratchers even with review the refs seemed to make the 'wrong' call.

It's tough to see with the advent of VAR we are still debating bad refereeing decisions.

Attachments:

Post #389787  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:14 am 

Terry Henry wrote:
socrates wrote:

The seasons done Rich.

Jeez… I hope the players have got bigger balls than some of our so called “supporters”.

The issue is more with legs than balls.

I can see City dropping points ... I just can't see us not dropping more.

Its still possible, but it would be an amazing feat if we manage to get 84 points or more, considering who we still have to play and the lack of cover for key positions.

If the wheels do fall off then it is another matter. However, I don't think there should be any talk of the team or fans being surrender monkeys otherwise.

Post #389788  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:48 am 

Terry Henry wrote:
DHD wrote:

This geezer is such a bore.

Funny inside his own head and adds nothing.

Probably the type that brings his own personalised pool cue with him when he goes down the pub.

Post #389789  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:25 pm 

Looking at the Championship division, I expected Leicester to come right up. They are on 91 points to Ipswich's 89 in second. What has surprised me is that Leicester has played 43 games and have lost 10. Only 4 draws. Seems they wither win or lose. Leeds and Soton round out the top 4. None has more than 8 losses.

Post #389790  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:31 pm 

I also wonder if Leverkusen will go for their invincible season. They are at Dortmund tomorrow and also play Stuttgart, both are an easy game to have a loss as both are top 5 clubs in the league. They play with a lot of pride in maintaining their perfect record in all competitions which is remarkable. However, Roma in the Europa league won't be easy.

Happy for Xhaka. Very happy.

Post #389791  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 pm 

Todays game. A test of mental and physical endurance

Any 3 points would do.

Post #389792  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Todays game. A test of mental and physical endurance

Any 3 points would do.

… for supporters too. Hope to Christ were a few goals up at half time cos we have to leave midway through second half to catch the last train back.

Stupid timing.

Post #389793  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 pm 

Our goal differential with City is widling down. That's a concern..

Post #389794  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm 

Sad to read Vitesse Arnheim relegated. They were casually my second team in the eredivisie. They were the team of a Dutch friend of mine so I adopted them casually as my 2nd team there.

Roman Abromovich. That virus has infected football. It's a wonder Chelsea got out of that without a scratch.

Post #389795  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:57 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Sad to read Vitesse Arnheim relegated. They were casually my second team in the eredivisie. They were the team of a Dutch friend of mine so I adopted them casually as my 2nd team there.

Roman Abromovich. That virus has infected football. It's a wonder Chelsea got out of that without a scratch.

Decent point. I mean how can he just be allowed to pay off a billion quid loan then *%^@ off into the sunset

Post #389796  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 pm 

Chelsea had so many chances and didn't score. City only needs a good look at goal. They seem off as well. No Haaland as well. Not sure if he's being rested or is injured. My guess is Pep would like to sell Grealish but can't for political reasons. 100 plus million British player, not a good look. Just my guess.

Post #389797  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 pm 

I hope Chelsea finds a way to lose a game to us.

Post #389798  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:30 pm 

Can't say the lineup inspires confidence. But hopefully we've got enough in the tank for this one.

Post #389799  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:04 pm 

Kiwior is 24. Too old for making these mistakes. Loan him out for regular football hoping he will improve or sell him.

Post #389800  Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:05 pm 

Largely in control, but don't really look like scoring.

[ 390388 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9742, 9743, 9744, 9745, 9746, 9747, 9748 ... 9760  Next