Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 48 guests

Post #535961  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:52 pm 

Pode wrote:
What I liked most about the match was that we showed style. First evidence I've seen that Arteta envisages a team with the old Wenger style and swagger. Well, not the same but still good to watch. That was one of my biggest doubts - mostly because he'd never had the players, which I appreciated but nice to see an example of style. Even if we won't be in a position to repeat it very often.

Suppose it depends what you mean by “style and swagger”. But for me, towards the end of Wenger’s tenure, style and swagger are not words I’d consistently associate with our style of play.

Post #535962  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:14 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Ashburton Grove has never been the forgress Highbury was. Last night could have been because its an NLD but if we can get anywhere close to that atmosphere on a regular basis, it's worth several points over the course of a season.

Although, I found an old article from december 2020 that tracked the first 272 games at the Emirates vs the final 272 games at Highbury and The Emirates comes out on top. 178 wins at The Emirates compared to 171 wins at Highbury, exactly the same amount of defeats with 35.

Hey Rich,

Interesting stat that seems to refute that our new stadium is more of a fortress than what fans (like me) are saying.

It's also interesting to use 272 games. It's a very odd number of games. Wouldn't it better to simply say seasons? 38 gamesin a season 19 at home, plus cup ties, hmm...another 10 or so give or take? So, can we just round up to 30 home games a season? Or is that too much? Anyway, we divide that into 272 (math was never my strong point, carry the....oh I'll just use my calculator :icon_mrgreen: ) we are talking 9 seasons maybe.
AG was ready in 2004, right? Okay, go back 9 years and we are in the mid 90s, and we didn't really start doing well till '97 so a decent 7 years of top football. Since 2004 we were pretty good, top 4 the whole time, did better in the CL, 2013 or so would be 9 years since.

First or second from '98 to '04, third or fourth for several years since '04 except 1 season.

Hmm...

Post #535963  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
We're playing games now with what has to be described as our best 11, and in reality most of those 11 positions are clear now. What we need to do now is:
1. ensure that 11 stays as fit as possible and get them playing to that level as often as possible
2. not alienate the support cast
3. work out a way the players outside of that 11 can slot in and be equally effective

When I look through the squad and what Arteta wants from each player in each position there does seem to be quite some drop off in quality. I'd argue that Lokonga could come in to central midfield, Pépé could come in and Lacazette could play the central striker and things shouldn't drop off to much.

If you’re right and the first eleven is to be taken as yesterday’s starting team, so:
Goal: Ramsdale
Full backs: Tomiyasu and Tierney
Central defence: White and Gabriel
Deeper midfield: Partey and.Xhaka
Wide or advanced: Saka, Smith Rowe and Ødegaard
Striker: Aubameyang.

That makes the back up players:
Goal: Leno
Full backs: Tavares, Maitland-Niles, Cédric and Kolasinac
Central defence: Mari, Holding and Chambers
Deeper midfield: Lokonga and Elneny
Wide or advanced: Pépé and Martinelli
Striker: Lacazette, Balogun and Nketiah

So eleven first teasers and fifteen back ups. Out of the fifteen, I reckon you can get an eleven that would finish at least mid-table in the Premier League.

Looks very strong to me not many teams can better that squad.

Post #535964  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:12 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Although, I found an old article from december 2020 that tracked the first 272 games at the Emirates vs the final 272 games at Highbury and The Emirates comes out on top. 178 wins at The Emirates compared to 171 wins at Highbury, exactly the same amount of defeats with 35.

Hey Rich,

Interesting stat that seems to refute that our new stadium is more of a fortress than what fans (like me) are saying.

It's also interesting to use 272 games. It's a very odd number of games. Wouldn't it better to simply say seasons? 38 gamesin a season 19 at home, plus cup ties, hmm...another 10 or so give or take? So, can we just round up to 30 home games a season? Or is that too much? Anyway, we divide that into 272 (math was never my strong point, carry the....oh I'll just use my calculator :icon_mrgreen: ) we are talking 9 seasons maybe.
AG was ready in 2004, right? Okay, go back 9 years and we are in the mid 90s, and we didn't really start doing well till '97 so a decent 7 years of top football. Since 2004 we were pretty good, top 4 the whole time, did better in the CL, 2013 or so would be 9 years since.

First or second from '98 to '04, third or fourth for several years since '04 except 1 season.

Hmm...

American, I know you’ll deny reading this post but the Emirates opened in 2006, not 2004. The start of the 2006/07 season, meaning Highbury closed at the end of the 2005/06 season.

The number of games surely has to be more accurate than the kind of rounding up or down by season you suggest. We play 19 league games at home each season, or at least since the top tier league became twenty clubs. But we don’t play the same number at home (or away) each season because we don’t play the same number of domestic cup games, let along factors like getting knocked out the Champions League or Europa League at different stages and not even being in Europe this season.

We obviously get more home draws in domestic cups some seasons than others, as well as getting knocked out at different points. Indeed, semi-finals of the League Cup are routinely two matches (one home and one away) and FA Cup semis are single games at a neutral venue.

What does skew the comparison, and surely to make the Emirates look worse than Highbury, is the behind closed doors games we had in the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons. That didn’t happen at Highbury and while I don’t have the figures to hand it’s commonly accepted holding games behind closed doors made clubs’ home records worse and away records better. Therefore, the behind closed doors policy presumably made the Emirates look worse than it would have if all its games had been played in front of crowds.

So if one wants to draw any general conclusions from Rich’s stats, I would suggests it supports the notion that the Emirates is more of a fortress than Highbury, rather than refute it as you said.

Post #535965  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:36 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If you’re right and the first eleven is to be taken as yesterday’s starting team, so:

So eleven first teasers and fifteen back ups. Out of the fifteen, I reckon you can get an eleven that would finish at least mid-table in the Premier League.

Looks very strong to me not many teams can better that squad.

I agree bubblechris. What I probably should have pointed out as well is that some players, Maitland-Niles being a very obvious example, can cover a variety of positions as a squad back up like in his case right back and deeper midfield. Chambers has played at right back and central defence for Arsenal, and deep midfield at Fulham where he did well.

I didn’t include that young boy Patino everyone is drooling about, but maybe he can be added to the ‘wide and advanced’ options later in the season if he makes his debut? But even if he doesn’t, I still think Arsenal have a strong looking squad.

What actually is our strongest first eleven will inevitably be debatable as well. To give a couple of examples, I have little or no doubt that some would rather see Lokonga in it than Xhaka, while others may support finding a place for Pépé. But as I say, looking at our group of players as a whole, my own judgment is that we have a strong squad that offers not only fine players to choose from, but the option to play alternative systems and use different tactics.

Post #535966  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:53 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hey Rich,

Hmm...

My guess as to why they used 272 games is that at the time of the article we had played 272 games at the Emirates and thus were compared against the same number at the Arsenal Stadium.

Post #535967  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:07 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey Rich,

Hmm...

My guess as to why they used 272 games is that at the time of the article we had played 272 games at the Emirates and thus were compared against the same number at the Arsenal Stadium.

I’m sure you’re right LTG. I must admit, just having noticed the article Rich was referring to was from December 2020, that will affect the extent of the relevance of my point about the behind closed doors games as those games in the second half of last season won’t be included in the 272. However, the general point about the policy still being relevant to any comparison between the Emirates and Highbury remains valid.

Post #535968  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am 

Final episode of fever pitch premier league years on bbc last night supposedly focussed on Wengers introduction which it did for the first 15 minutes loosely covered our 98 title then reverted to type covering Man United again about focussing solely on their failed sky takeover then their treble in 99 and finished ignoring the invincible season entirely.

The series ends as pretty much a sickening homage to man united and Alex Ferguson and the producers must have been fans themselves.

Top Guns review.. 2 stars out 10. Predictable man united drivel

Post #535969  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hey Rich,

Hmm...

Exactly that

Post #535970  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Final episode of fever pitch premier league years on bbc last night supposedly focussed on Wengers introduction which it did for the first 15 minutes loosely covered our 98 title then reverted to type covering Man United again about focussing solely on their failed sky takeover then their treble in 99 and finished ignoring the invincible season entirely.

The series ends as pretty much a sickening homage to man united and Alex Ferguson and the producers must have been fans themselves.

I thought much the same. Interestingly in the fast paces clips showing tackles flying in during Arsenal v Man U games there were a much higher proportion of Man U fouls than Arsenal. No doubt we got a few good kicks in during those games but my perception at the time and still is now that Man U decided the only way to beat us was through old fashioned thuggery. It was always very interesting to see those tactics play out very clearly at old trafford but much less so at highbury

Post #535971  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:39 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Looks very strong to me not many teams can better that squad.[/quote]
I'm probably less optimistic than the two of your regarding the strength in depth. It is there in numbers for sure and I would maybe agree that outside of the big 4 we may indeed have the strongest overall squad.....however I do fear key players missing in key positions. As I said it is more when a collection of first 11 players are missing as I think we have players who can slot in but I do think the drop off from first 11 player to back up is stark in some areas.

Post #535972  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 am 

Rich wrote:
I'm probably less optimistic than the two of your regarding the strength in depth. It is there in numbers for sure and I would maybe agree that outside of the big 4 we may indeed have the strongest overall squad.....however I do fear key players missing in key positions. As I said it is more when a collection of first 11 players are missing as I think we have players who can slot in but I do think the drop off from first 11 player to back up is stark in some areas.

Exactly the point made on the Times podcast today. They were complimentary about the first 11 though.

Post #535973  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm 

On paper it looks a reasonable 2nd 11 but the performances of those players when brought in from time To time doesn’t really match the reputation we as fans give them. Our genuine options off the bench to change a game if it’s not going our way are Martinelli (jury is still out for me) , lacazette and Lokonga.

Doesn’t really feel like an excess of firepower if you know what I mean.

Take a look at United, city’s and Chelsea’s 2nd 11

Post #535974  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:22 pm 

Read some reports Xhaka’s knee injury will keep him out for 6-8 weeks. 2 of those will be taken up by the international break, could have been worse if that diagnoses is true

Post #535975  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hey Rich,

Hmm...

Makes sense. And I use the comments of folks who said they were at games saying the atmosphere wasn't the same.

In any event, it was very apparant on TV the fans were into it full tilt. Long may it continue.

Post #535976  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:56 pm 

Rich wrote:

Would any club expect their second eleven to be as strong as their first eleven? If City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United all had their first team out I bet Guardiola, Tuchel, Klopp and OGS would all be moaning quick enough. Let’s go through Arsenal’s.

Goal: Ramsdale out, Leno in? Not a big difference in my view.
Right back: Tomiyasu out, Maitland-Niles in? Is the difference that huge?
Left back: Tierney out, Tavares in? I’ve been impressed with Tavares so far and if anyone can cover Tierney adequately, I think it’s him.
Central defence: White and Gabriel out with Holding and Mari out. A bigger drop in quality here perhaps, but I’ve seen both White (at Brentford) and Gabriel look poor with Holding and Mari doing well individually.
Deep midfield. Partey and Xhaka out, I think Lokonga could cover either adequately. If Tomiyasu isn’t out at the same time then Maitland-Niles could come in if both Partey and Xhaka are out together.
Wide or advanced: Saka and Smith Rowe out, Pépé and Martinelli in? I think arguments can be made a place should be found for Pépé anyway, and many still see Martinelli as a hot prospect. Ødegaard looks a serious loss but maybe, just maybe, it won’t be too long before Patino can cover him adequately for a game or two.
Striker: Aubameyang out, Lacazette in? Is that a terrible drop in standard? Aubameyang has had some very poor games, after all.

As I said earlier, any club would probably suffer if its manager’s first choice eleven was out. Arteta’s as well. But I don’t think our second eleven is as bad as you.

Post #535977  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:01 pm 

Tough game coming up. Brighton playing well if we go by the table. A lesser test than Sperz perhaps but its on the road against a team in form.

Post #535978  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:01 pm 

I'm actually quite surprised that people have gone so rapidly from being close to despair to being so positive about our first 11, let alone our backup players. I'm inclined to be cautious, given that players like White, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu and to a lesser extent even Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard are essentially untested, and our wins have come against inferior opposition (Spuds must be included in that bracket at the moment).

However, it is very exciting, with everyone fit, and a string of winnable games coming up, up until Liverpool away. Unless we are very unfortunate with injury, it will be a opportunity to gauge just how good the team and Areteta are and how well the 'project' is developing.

Post #535979  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Would any club expect their second eleven to be as strong as their first eleven? If City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United all had their first team out I bet Guardiola, Tuchel, Klopp and OGS would all be moaning quick enough. Let’s go through Arsenal’s.

Goal: Ramsdale out, Klopp in? Not a big difference in my view.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

But I do agree with you about the depth of the squad at present. It looks good.

Post #535980  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:11 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Tough game coming up. Brighton playing well if we go by the table. A lesser test than Sperz perhaps but its on the road against a team in form.

Indeed. Probably more of a test that Spurs actually. Looking forward to it!

Post #535981  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:13 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Goal: Ramsdale out, Klopp in? Not a big difference in my view.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

But I do agree with you about the depth of the squad at present. It looks good.

You got in before I did my Leno instead of Klopp edit.

Post #535982  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 pm 

Saw some article on the BBC site about the spurs manager being under pressure already and fighting for his job. I know they were bad Saturday and it is proper funny but my god the bloke has had little time to change things.

And on that subject There is a plan it just takes time

https://twitter.com/gunner2jasper/statu ... 55428?s=21

Post #535983  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I only saw the first episode. That was enough to put me off watching the others. If I wanted to sit through tributes to Manchester United, I’d simply use their official website.

Post #535984  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:54 pm 

Someone put a clip up of Arteta 1 year ago talking about a game when we played Liverpool, saying how we pressed well, almost perfect but then "Van Dijk hit a 60 yard cross field ball straight on to Salah's chest and they were out.....that's quality" The point of posting I believe was showing that Arteta knew what he wanted and needed to mould the team how he wanted and a big reason for signing Ben White.

I must say I've always felt much safer with centre backs who have pace and technical ability - if they can have height and power as well you've reached the pinnacle of CB.

Post #535985  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
towards the end of Wenger’s tenure, style and swagger are not words I’d consistently associate with our style of play.

True, but that was in the cosplay stage when he was trying to sew an occasional flawed diamond into a collection of sows ears.

Post #535986  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Saw some article on the BBC site about the spurs manager being under pressure already and fighting for his job. I know they were bad Saturday and it is proper funny but my god the bloke has had little time to change things.

And on that subject There is a plan it just takes time

https://twitter.com/gunner2jasper/statu ... 55428?s=21

Levi does not give his managers a free hand on buys and sales so it's strange he brought in this manager is it not? Likewise as a manager he made his own team and developed them himself.

I cannot see tyhings getting better for Spurs, such a shame, not.

Post #535987  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:16 pm 

French journalist Romain Canuti: "There are a few players at Marseille who are struggling with Guendouzi. His way of working, when he always blames others for things, when he falls to his knees in training to implore God because a touch isnt good enough, it grates"

Post #535988  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
French journalist Romain Canuti: "There are a few players at Marseille who are struggling with Guendouzi. His way of working, when he always blames others for things, when he falls to his knees in training to implore God because a touch isnt good enough, it grates"

quelle suprise...

Post #535989  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:52 pm 

Supposedly good news. ESL fines dropped.

https://www.justarsenal.com/uefa-drop-f ... ssion=true

Post #535990  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm 

Mertesacker invited Seaman to come and do some informal coaching work with the U23 and scholar GKs at the club. No indication it’s any more than that. A good move though. Seaman is an absolute Arsenal legend and having him give his time to the young players of only to educate them on the history of the club and what it means to play for us it can only be a good thing.

Post #535991  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm 

Zed wrote:

Good news for Kronke, hadn’t the Kronke’s said they would foot the bill for any fine rather than the club

Post #535992  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:19 pm 

Bored wrote:
Rich wrote:

quelle suprise...

And apparently Saliba had a shocker at the weekend vs Lens.

Post #535993  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

Good news for Kronke, hadn’t the Kronke’s said they would foot the bill for any fine rather than the club

Hi Rich,
Pretty much Kroenke would take care of the fine. Yet Arsenal haven't officially withdrawn from ESL.

Post #535994  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:07 pm 

Bored wrote:
Rich wrote:

quelle suprise...

And so it goes....

“I don’t blame him for this attitude, we know this type of temperament in Marseille, but there are foreign players who aren’t that into it, who have a lot of trouble with that. When you’ve got a guy like that, who always criticises, you might not want to sympathise with him down the line. That being said, OM need characters, Guendouzi has some, so that’s good too”.

Post #535995  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:15 pm 

Zed wrote:
"OM need characters, Guendouzi has some"

Jekyll and Hyde perhaps

Post #535996  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:29 pm 

Merson saying if Arsenal keep their first choice 11 fit they can challenge for top 4. Only a few weeks back he was saying we were clueless and going absolutely nowhere. Far too much reaction is based on the last result whereas the reality almost always lies somewhere between the extreme views.
Every week in the prem another big club and manager are ‘in crisis’, it’s Spurs turn at the moment but it wouldn’t surprise me for Man U and Ole to be next in the media’s sights

Post #535997  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Merson saying if Arsenal keep their first choice 11 fit they can challenge for top 4. Only a few weeks back he was saying we were clueless and going absolutely nowhere. Far too much reaction is based on the last result whereas the reality almost always lies somewhere between the extreme views.
Every week in the prem another big club and manager are ‘in crisis’, it’s Spurs turn at the moment but it wouldn’t surprise me for Man U and Ole to be next in the media’s sights

Well that’s not possible even for the next game if Xhaka is out.

Post #535998  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
it wouldn’t surprise me for Man U and Ole to be next in the media’s sights

They never stop being in the media's sights. I think they'd be after Ole even if he won the EPL and the ECL in the same season, they'd just go quiet for a bit until the next lost game.

Post #535999  Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Merson saying if Arsenal keep their first choice 11 fit they can challenge for top 4. Only a few weeks back he was saying we were clueless and going absolutely nowhere.

Both opinions are as daft as each other.
We've beaten two poor teams and survived Burnley. Looked good in one half against Spurs, but they did give us a fair bit of help. We could have a team able to go for a European place, but I can't see us getting close to top four this year.

Post #536000  Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:13 am 

Messi scored his 27th goal in 35 games against English clubs. So nearly a full seasons worth of games. And he’s playing all those games against the best 4 teams in the prem on any given year. And people still doubt whether he could ‘do it’ in this league.

[ 570668 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13397, 13398, 13399, 13400, 13401, 13402, 13403 ... 14267  Next