Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 92 guests

Post #560001  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
You'd prefer to have the five extra games? I always think back to 1980, when, after 70 endless matches of a heroic campaign, fighting on several fronts, for the FA Cup, European Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup qualification, we ended up with ... well, I'm sure you remember!
Oh yes - play and win as many as possible. Isn't that the aim of a football club? I mean its not like the Europa Cup is worthless - winning its predecessor I do remember very well as one of Arsenal's greatest nights!

The following season wasn’t bad either.

Post #560002  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:43 pm 

Roy Hodgson could make a return back to Palace as manager.

Post #560003  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:43 pm 

One interesting aspect of var is a disallowed goal by at can swing a game. You can be the team on top, get the goal, have it ruled out by a fine margin and you get the roar from the home crowd who suddenly wake up and the tide can turn

Post #560004  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
An example of the quality of Facebook Threads on Arsenal.
So this ‘fan’ is so devastated that he’s decided not to ‘support’ us anymore. Wow. Big loss.

Am very disappointed with same attitude year in year out.
Am now out as a supporter.
It may not carry impact, but enough is enough.
We support for fun, if fun loses taste then leave it.

This is a theme I’ve discussed here recently.

The truth is these people aren’t real fans. Last season I couldn’t believe some of the things I read online after leaving the ground when we had actually won games.

After every defeat or bad result the manager should be sacked and it’s so boring. The truth is the only barometer of satisfaction are the fans in the ground and i assure you as somebody who has attended every league game bar one 99% of the match going fans are 100% behind this team and manager. The atmosphere is amazing right now and you still have idiots writing nonsense online. The truth is if you aren’t attending the games you have less commitment and compassion to the cause and progression of this young team.

What’s going to be really irritating is if in the event we don’t win the league you will have some idiots demanding Artetas dismissal. I promise you this will happen and Ash and I were discussing this the other day.

Post #560005  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The atmosphere is amazing right now and you still have idiots writing nonsense online.

Thankfully not here ! :icon_razz:

Post #560006  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 pm 

RIP Lance Reddick
Cédric Daniels in The Wire
Great acting in a great role
Still miles in front as my favorite TV Series
Travel well Cédric.

Post #560007  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:18 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
RIP Lance Reddick
Travel well Cédric.

Greatest show of all time and he was superb

https://youtu.be/NuY10FpBX6s

Post #560008  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
So this ‘fan’ is so devastated that he’s decided not to ‘support’ us anymore. Wow. Big loss.

This is a theme I’ve discussed here recently.

The truth is these people aren’t real fans. Last season I couldn’t believe some of the things I read online after leaving the ground when we had actually won games.

After every defeat or bad result the manager should be sacked and it’s so boring. The truth is the only barometer of satisfaction are the fans in the ground and i assure you as somebody who has attended every league game bar one 99% of the match going fans are 100% behind this team and manager. The atmosphere is amazing right now and you still have idiots writing nonsense online. The truth is if you aren’t attending the games you have less commitment and compassion to the cause and progression of this young team.

What’s going to be really irritating is if in the event we don’t win the league you will have some idiots demanding Artetas dismissal. I promise you this will happen and Ash and I were discussing this the other day.

I mostly agree with the sentiment. But I’m not sure about the suggestion that you are a more committed fan than me because, for a variety of reasons, I can no longer get to games.

Post #560009  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:24 am 

Spurs fans just went through an emotional roller coaster.
First the jubilation to see us going out of the Europa.
Then to feel the disappointment of a late Newcastle win, and in extra time at that.

Post #560010  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:34 am 

Andy Green wrote:
RIP Lance Reddick
Travel well Cédric.

As you know Baltimore, only a bit over an hour or south of Philly, physically looks like Philly. Terraced housing, similar neighborhood dynamics.

Great show, first time I saw it I thought it was north or west Philly from the looks of it. West Baltimore and parts of west Philadelphia have some eerily similarities for all the wrong reasons.

His back story was interesting in the show.

Post #560011  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:45 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I mostly agree with the sentiment. But I’m not sure about the suggestion that you are a more committed fan than me because, for a variety of reasons, I can no longer get to games.

Dropping a team for the slightest of reasons I'd agree with for the most part.

However, the ol 'if you go to more games you are a bigger fan line'. With Arsenal having the most expensive tickets, I'll forgive a postal worker gooner from White Chapel or Tower Hamlets if he can't see most of the matches.

I've seen gooners get up 4am every weekend to the British pub in LA to see matches, leave work to sneak off mid week to see CL matches. There were no taped games back then. Youtube was in its infancy. You either caught the game on satellite or you didn't.

There are hard core Golden State Warriors fans in the poor, crime ridden Oakland who can't come up with 200 quid for the nosebleeds. I've never been offended by the 'you aren't a real gooner' talk myself. The majority of us have been on there roughly 25 years give or take. Tens of thousands of posts. It takes someone very narrow to tell a person that he's not a gooner if he's not been to many games.

One former poster said I wasn't and that I was on here for...can't recall...doesn't matter. Laughable. I took no offense. I'd have to respect the opinion and/or the person for that to happen.

Post #560012  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:30 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Spurs fans just went through an emotional roller coaster.
First the jubilation to see us going out of the Europa.
Then to feel the disappointment of a late Newcastle win, and in extra time at that.

When you see spurs fans or spurs pundits in the media it is like their entire season rests on us not winning the league. Imagine your happiness being controlled by something completely out of your control

Post #560013  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
RIP Lance Reddick
Travel well Cédric.

Greatest show of all time and he was superb

https://youtu.be/NuY10FpBX6s

Probably the first and still the greatest series amongst the hundreds and hundreds of series I've now seen online.

RIP Cédric......

Post #560014  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The truth is if you aren’t attending the games you have less commitment and compassion to the cause and progression of this young team.

Sorry but that's complete bollocks and you know it. Attending games does not make you any more or any less of a fan. To say otherwise is just arrogant and patronising.

There are many reasons that lots of dyed in the wool Arsenal fans are unable to attend games, not the least of which being the sheer expense of going to PL matches when you factor in the ticket costs, beverages, travel etc.

Those able to attend games at the Emirates are privileged but that does not dictate how much of an Arsenal fan they are. Many of the fans you are lauding now are the very same ones booing under Wenger and Emery and even in the early days of Arteta.

The mood of football fans is generally dictated by the level of success and Arsenal fans are no different, in or outside of the stadium.

Post #560015  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am 

I was just thinking the very early Europa exit will mean less income from that stream . It’s not that lucrative in any case but I expect it will likely cost us over 10million. Given the club had made losses for years now, can we start running into FFP problems?

Post #560016  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:32 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The truth is if you aren’t attending the games you have less commitment and compassion to the cause and progression of this young team.

Sorry but that's complete bollocks and you know it. Attending games does not make you any more or any less of a fan. To say otherwise is just arrogant and patronising.

There are many reasons that lots of dyed in the wool Arsenal fans are unable to attend games, not the least of which being the sheer expense of going to PL matches when you factor in the ticket costs, beverages, travel etc.

Those able to attend games at the Emirates are privileged but that does not dictate how much of an Arsenal fan they are. Many of the fans you are lauding now are the very same ones booing under Wenger and Emery and even in the early days of Arteta.

The mood of football fans is generally dictated by the level of success and Arsenal fans are no different, in or outside of the stadium.

Sorry it’s true. You have the mood inside the ground and something entirely different in the Ecosphere out of it. Wenger was only sacked when he lost the home crowd.

You have many reasons why fans can’t attend matches including finances and geography. I have friends on the other side of the world who are die hard Arsenal fans but the truth is the understanding, empathy and forgiveness built from spending a fortune travelling home and away watching a young group of men develop together doesn’t really exist as much if you aren’t doing that hence you read some disproportionate absurd things that don’t correlate to the feeling at Arsenal every week. There are exceptions, lifelong gooners who moved away etc but don’t tell me idiots who say they “can’t take it anymore” after losing a midweek game when we are top of the *%^@*** league are real fans.

Post #560017  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 am 

Exhibit A

This bellend in Spain

https://youtu.be/tWUFx5Ko65s

Post #560018  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:23 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

100%.

Except that even success does not cure people of being twats. Look at City, United, and Chelsea fans. Is Top Gun getting less obnoxious? :laughing7:

The decisive factor is the way the internet allows people to be complete twats without any consequences, not whether they can or cannot attend. Sure, if someone at a football match makes an arse of themselves, someone like Steve would probably nut them.

BUT I'll bet a lot of fans who attend are complete twats and ignoramous when they go online ... probably not quite as high a proportion as in the general population, but likely not that different. The law of large numbers dictates that in any crowd of10s of thousands of people, a fair number will be twats.

Watch videos of those fans in places like Nigerian and Thailand celebrating. The atmosphere in those pubs may not quite have matched the real thing, but I bet it was pretty good.

Post #560019  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
You have many reasons why fans can’t attend matches including finances and geography. I have friends on the other side of the world who are die hard Arsenal fans but the truth is the understanding, empathy and forgiveness built from spending a fortune travelling home and away watching a young group of men develop together doesn’t really exist as much if you aren’t doing that hence you read some disproportionate absurd things that don’t correlate to the feeling at Arsenal every week. There are exceptions, lifelong gooners who moved away etc but don’t tell me idiots who say they “can’t take it anymore” after losing a midweek game when we are top of the *%^@*** league are real fans.

No-one on the forum thinks that anyone who says they “can’t take it anymore” after losing a midweek game when we're top of the league is a real fan, so I'm not sure who you think you're arguing with here. But back to the actual topic and are, say, Socrates and LTG among the blessed minority in your 'exceptions' category? Might they, very humbly of course, consider themselves to be as committed an Arsenal fan as yourself?

Post #560020  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:44 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No-one on the forum thinks that anyone who says they “can’t take it anymore” after losing a midweek game when we're top of the league is a real fan, so I'm not sure who you think you're arguing with here. But back to the actual topic and are, say, Socrates and LTG among the blessed minority in your 'exceptions' category? Might they, very humbly of course, consider themselves to be as committed an Arsenal fan as yourself?

I’m not arguing with anyone and I didn’t say anyone on the forum said that at all, read my comments again and apologise please. I was having a conversation with LTG who said he observed people online saying “They can’t take it anymore” and providing some context based on what I’ve seen and experienced

I’m not doubting the commitment of the non match going fan who is a genuine supporter. Please note in wengers last year i only went twice myself as I got so fed up with the monotony. However what is true is that the non match going fan doesn’t really have the context, empathy and understanding of what’s happening generally so are far more liable to say irrational and absurd things. Genuinely when I read the comments of the likes of exiled, DHD, Steve, Darren and others down the years who attend games they seem more shall I say well centred than others who don’t and say things like requesting the managers dismissal for losing 2 games in a row or overpaying for overpriced English rubbish like Ramsdale and Ben white.

Post #560021  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:55 am 

bubblechris wrote:
I think I joined the forum just before Steve passed and I thank him from the bottom of my heart for starting the forum. I am thrilled to be a part of his legacy as my love for our Arsenal has grown and grown. Okey we've had a few ding songs, in the main friendly but some headbangers too, you know who you are!
Steve's legacy will go on and on thanks to the mods and the great forumites like Bernard, I Fishbar, and Mee who have also passed but are also great missed.
God bless you too Judith.

Thanks for your kind words.

Post #560022  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:00 am 

warrior wrote:
Yes it's been 18 years now ...

Thanks for this posting and everything Roger x

Post #560023  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:02 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Judith wrote:
Dear Forumites,

Another year, another anniversary! Please just stop and reflect for 1 minute, as today is 18 years since the founder
of this Forum, our beloved Son has passed away!

When He started this Forum it was in the pioneering days of this concept, He was a visionary and we will never know
where He would have taken it, if He had the opportunity!

I would dearly like to know how many of you ( if any) were on his original site , more than 20 years ago!
I know some of the Forumites , who actually went to the games with Him have unfortunately passed away.

Our grandson, Steve's nephew will be at the game this Sunday.
Enjoy the Forum and may it go on, giving pleasure to all who love football and Arsenal!

One of the few events where I can remember like it was yesterday, where I was and what I was doing at the time. Wow, 18 years. My god.

Thanks for your kind words.

Post #560024  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Judith, I wasn't on the forum at the very beginning but certainly at an early stage. To the best of my recollection it was around 1998-1999 because we had discussions about losing Anelka. Steve would hand out suspensions to some posters if they got into a big argument. But it really was a pioneering time on the internet. I remember you had to enter a handle(name) at the top of your post or somewhere before putting down your post .

I know words cannot compensate for your loss. But can I thank you and Warrior for keeping this forum going and honouring it with his name. RIP Steve.

Such kind words, means so much, thank you.

Post #560025  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I’m not arguing with anyone and I didn’t say anyone on the forum said that at all, read my comments again and apologise please.

I didn’t say you did say that anyone on the forum had said it. Reread my post.

Post #560026  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:07 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’m not arguing with anyone and I didn’t say anyone on the forum said that at all, read my comments again and apologise please.

I didn’t say you did say that anyone on the forum had said it. Reread my post.

You implied it and said I was arguing about it. Apology needed

Post #560027  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 am 

Who will be 3rd and 4th has gotten very interesting. Outside shot at Liverpool making it interesting but I hope Newcastle does 2 things. Lose to us and nicks Tottenham and if not them Man Utd.

Post #560028  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 am 

I think TG has a fair point that supporting the team in the stadium, especially away, is a special and quite different kind of relationship than spectating on TV or online. However, I don't think that defines how big a fan you are, as that would mean we have no more than about 60,000 true fans, and that is obviously not true. Those of us not there at the match still dance or cry at the result. There are many ways of being a fan.

I still get "goosebubbles" recalling matches I attended live. Of course not all stick in the memory, but being there never leaves you, in a way that watching from afar can't replicate. Those of us lucky enough, for instance, to have seen Henry against Liverpool, a venerable Dennis destroying Everton, Kanu unhinging Depo's keeper, Jose Antonio's bomb against Chelsea, or in prehistoric times, Big John Radford, Eddie Kelly and Jon Sammels against Anderlecht, will recall the crowd reaction in the ground as much as the football skills on show.

Post #560029  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:12 am 

Gunfire wrote:
I was on the original site and was here when Steve passed away. This forum is a huge gift from him to us.

Woh, on the original site, fantastic.Thanks for your kind words.

Post #560030  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:13 am 

Judith wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Judith, I wasn't on the forum at the very beginning but certainly at an early stage. To the best of my recollection it was around 1998-1999 because we had discussions about losing Anelka. Steve would hand out suspensions to some posters if they got into a big argument. But it really was a pioneering time on the internet. I remember you had to enter a handle(name) at the top of your post or somewhere before putting down your post .

I know words cannot compensate for your loss. But can I thank you and Warrior for keeping this forum going and honouring it with his name. RIP Steve.

Such kind words, means so much, thank you.

Hi Judith, I remember Steve as an opinionated (in a good way) contributor to the forum, who (although there was the occasional banning!) was always keen to promote views that didn't necessarily line up with his. As an Australian forum member, based in Melbourne, I'm really sorry I never got to meet him.

Post #560031  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:14 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Who will be 3rd and 4th has gotten very interesting. Outside shot at Liverpool making it interesting but I hope Newcastle does 2 things. Lose to us and nicks Tottenham and if not them Man Utd.
I have always had a soft spot for Newcastle, so wouldn't it be good if they and their irrepressible fans get a little joy?

Post #560032  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:20 am 

john1 wrote:
Dear Judith,

I never had the pleasure of meeting Steve, but through this forum I feel like I know a little of his personality.

Like others have said, this forum brings a lot of pleasure, interest, involvement of all things Arsenal (and other topics every now and then) to a lot of people.

It feels and looks like a fitting tribute to Steve, and I hope you and the family derive some comfort from that.

Best wishes to you and the family

Thanks for your kind words, they mean a lot!

Post #560033  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:28 am 

DHD wrote:
Hi Judith

I sincerely hope that you and your family are all well.

I don't know if I was around at the very start of Steve's creation but I think I joined pretty early. I have no recollection of how I found the Forum. I had a few run-ins with the great man in those early days and got banned several times. It was all good banter though. Steve is much missed but of course to all of us, he lives on though this Forum.

As has been mentioned, a few of those early members have dropped off the perch and are also missed - not least Bernard whom I 'knew' for 20 years without ever actually meeting. Odd feeling, that.

All those years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting you and your husband at Bar 101. Sadly, as far as I'm aware, that gathering hasn't happened for while now. It was the brainchild of Exiled who no longer posts here.

Sadly, I'm away at the moment so I cant be there, but I hope that your grandson has a brilliant time at the Palace match.
I remember meeting you, my grandson was at the grounds to see Arsenal vs Sporting Portuguese , he loved the atmosphere , but was disappointed with the result! Thanks for your very kind words, it means a lot!

Post #560034  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:32 am 

Rich wrote:
I don't know exactly how long I've been on the forum but It must have been at least 20 years now. There are very few days I don't at least come on and read what everyone is talking about even if I don't post myself. In all those years I haven't once needed to go to any other Arsenal forum on the internet. The format, the people, the varied chat are all excellent. Steve deserves enormous credit for the legacy of the forum and also a huge thanks to those who keep it running.

Thanks for your very kind words, it means a lot!

Post #560035  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:34 am 

Zed wrote:
This forum is wonderful with always interesting posts, arguments, information, Arsenal and otherwise. Thank you Judith, all appreciation to Steve.

Thanks for your very kind words!

Post #560036  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:36 am 

socrates wrote:
Hi Judith,

I joined after Steve had passed but from what I've read he was a visionary, ahead of his time. I'm sure he would have been heavily involved with social media and the advent of Fan TV and podcasts etc, probably at the forefront of their evolution.

Such a big, big shame he is isn't around.

This forum is an amazing legacy but, sadly, just a tantalising glimpse of what he might have achieved.

Regards,

Soc

Thanks for your very kind words, it means such a lot!

Post #560037  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I joined at roughly the same time. The forum was a real laugh back then. Steve had banned a couple of people (Kiwi, and possibly Daz) but it was pretty good humoured. Bernard, EEG, Daz and Niall were very prominent and vivid characters. I can't remember what Bernard and Niall were arguing about pre-Wilford but I seem to remember neither was giving an inch. The lunatic Chocolate Gooner rose to prominence shortly after. There were also older posters who actually knew about football and had wonderful stories. The forum was a marvelously entertaining place.

The forum did change in character after Steve passed away. Steve ruled like a benevolent dictator and had very strong opinions (not initially a fan of Henry :laughing7: ) and was very firm about certain things (swearing) and very funny, whereas

I think the subsequent moderators have always tried to be scrupulously fair.

Great credit to Steve for creating this place, and for Warrior and the other mods for keeping it going. Its quite something!

Thanks for your kind words, you can not imagine how much it means to me, I remember the names you are mentioning,Steve's life was Arsenal, this Forum and his family! He was very strict and had very high expectations of himself and others! At the start he was regularly approached to put adds on the forum, he was horrified, to make money out of Arsenal was un thinkable! We are very grateful to Warrior who has been just amazing in keeping this Forum going and the moderators. Thanks again.

Post #560038  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I maybe wrong but I believe I joined around 96 Maybe 97 ish as I’m pretty sure I commented here when we signed overmars.

Feel free to correct me. If the dates don’t align.

My early use was probably sporadic and nonsense but probably evolved with age :14laughter:

Agree entirely with Socrates eloquent post earlier. Steve would likely have made a fortune these days with the foresight to enable and see the benefit in human communication and connection, decades before AFTV and arseblogger and gunnerblog all involved in journalism and media these days.

God bless

As I said in my earlier post, he was approached to put on adds on the Forum and he was horrified, make money out of Arsenal???! Unthinkable !!! He was never money orientated, so that never pushed him on, he saw a need for somewhere for likeminded people to talk about what they loved and He loved Arsenal, from being a young boy, going to the games from Streatham come rain or shine, and editing/writing the magazine, was it called Gunflash ???? All beautiful memories!

Post #560039  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
...This forum is a huge gift from him to us.
This comment sums it up for me. I joined many years ago and although I don't post as frequently as before, I look in everyday. Thanks and respect to Steve and best wishes to Judith and family.

Thanks for your very kind words, it means a lot!

Post #560040  Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:56 am 

Abu wrote:
Steve banned me a few times, no idea why, I've always been the most eloquent and respectful of posters. Like someone else mentioned, I don't frequent any other sites. Thanks for the forum, Steve, best wishes to Judith et al.

Thanks for your very kind words !

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13998, 13999, 14000, 14001, 14002, 14003, 14004 ... 14269  Next