Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 99 guests

Post #557721  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:36 am 

Rich wrote:
david.d wrote:
Big NO from me
Have we not learnt our lesson with Willian???

Wouldn’t be my choice. But I would take him as a last ditch thing if it was only on a 5 month deal. I don’t want him long term. I could see situations in some games where he could be useful. Arteta supposedly wanted him back in his first season, as did Pep at one point.

Exactly.

Post #557722  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am 

Looks like no Caicedo then,

Why have we left things so late to try to sign the one type of player we absolutely need to cover Partey, even more so with Elneny's injury?

We spent what seemed weeks chasing Mudryk, expecting Shakhter to cave-in and accept our offer. That went well.

We only signed Trossard after his agent apparently contacted us the day before he signed, so why did it take his agent contacting us to set the deal in motion? Was it just serendipity?

Kiwior looks like more of a successful planned signing.

Let's see what happens to day but its not looking good.

Post #557723  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 am 

socrates wrote:

Why have we left things so late to try to sign the one type of player we absolutely need to cover Partey, even more so with Elneny's injury?

We spent what seemed weeks chasing Mudryk, expecting Shakhter to cave-in and accept our offer. That went well.

We only signed Trossard after his agent apparently contacted us the day before he signed, so why did it take his agent contacting us to set the deal in motion? Was it just serendipity?

At the end of the day we just don’t have the budget so we have to stretch it. What’s the alternative ? 8 year contracts for unproven players.

Even if Brighton accepted 75 million I’d feel uneasy about it. He’s hardly proven.

Every once in a while we go large. Last summer it was Jesus, apparently this summer it’s Rice but there’s an element of working to a budget. It’s always been this way with Arsenal

I’d rather we sat on our hands than sign Jorginho. Even play lokonga than sign him for 15 million and pay him 150k a week.

Post #557724  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:13 am 

No sooner do I post then Ornstein says…

Arsenal advancing towards agreement to sign Jorginho from Chelsea. 31yo Italy midfielder now most likely #DeadlineDay recruit. Acceptance at #AFC that Brighton stance on Moises Caicedo means pursuit of 21yo Ecuadorian is over

Post #557725  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:19 am 

The scale of the Jorginho issue will be on what terms he’s signed.

If he’s on a free and we just pick up his wages for the next 16 months it’s not much of a issue really. If he’s useless he won’t play for Arteta and we just move him in the summer. People moan about Willian but there’s wasn’t much loss there.

If we pay 15 million, 150k a week and it’s a 3 year deal it’s likely another situation where we have a player not adding value and could have to be paid off.

Post #557726  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:20 am 

The £105m that Chelsea are supposed to be bidding for Fernandez is quite remarkable. Benfica bought him from River Plate last summer for £9m.

Post #557727  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Arsenal advancing towards agreement to sign Jorginho from Chelsea. 31yo Italy midfielder now most likely #DeadlineDay recruit. Acceptance at #AFC that Brighton stance on Moises Caicedo means pursuit of 21yo Ecuadorian is over

A club with our resources and souting network has to do better that Jorginho on the last day of the window.

We have a chance to win the league and you're telling me there is absolutely no one in europe, South America or even Africa who could have come in, even on loan, with a profile more similar to Partey than Jorginho.

Jorginho's contract is up in 6 months, if we end up paying £10-15m for him Chelsea will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Post #557728  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:23 am 

I’m surprised that Chelsea would consider letting one of their players come to us. With their dosh they can afford to keep him and thereby stop us strengthening.

Post #557729  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

A club with our resources and souting network has to do better that Jorginho on the last day of the window.

We have a chance to win the league and you're telling me there is absolutely no one in europe, South America or even Africa who could have come in, even on loan, with a profile more similar to Partey than Jorginho.

Who then? What obvious player can you extract in January.

Unless you pay an absolute fortune like chelsea you are signing a back up player, someone out of contract or someone like wouters who man united went for. It’s not really the time to do business but as Mikel said we have no option we have to use every window

Post #557730  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:25 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I’m surprised that Chelsea would consider letting one of their players come to us. With their dosh they can afford to keep him and thereby stop us strengthening.

They need to offload wages and squad numbers as a priority. I really hope we haven’t paid much though.

Post #557731  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:25 am 

I have seen it reported that Palace want to take Lakonga on loan. Assuming that we do actually get someone in through the door (not a definite by any means) then that would help us out quite a bit.

Post #557732  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:26 am 

long time gooner wrote:

They probably don't care ltg, they won't catch us and if they get Enzo Fernandez he probably won't play anyway. The Chelsea signings are all about next season and thereafter so why not pick up a tidy little sum for a player who is leaving in a few months for free anyway.

Post #557733  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

They need to offload wages and squad numbers as a priority. I really hope we haven’t paid much though.

Do they? They seem to be impervious to FFP. Is it the squad numbers thing then?

Post #557734  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

At the end of the day we just don’t have the budget so we have to stretch it. What’s the alternative ? 8 year contracts for unproven players.

Even if Brighton accepted 75 million I’d feel uneasy about it. He’s hardly proven.

Every once in a while we go large. Last summer it was Jesus, apparently this summer it’s Rice but there’s an element of working to a budget. It’s always been this way with Arsenal

I’d rather we sat on our hands than sign Jorginho. Even play lokonga than sign him for 15 million and pay him 150k a week.

I think "uneasy" is the appropriate word for the Caicedo fee. I feel the same. It's huge money for a guy who has done very little. If we are serious about Rice, you would wonder if we have the funds to get him in the summer if we have already spent £70/80m on Caicedo.

It's funny how being top of the table changes your perspective. If we were comfortably in 2nd but 5 points behind City, I would say we would be less inclined to favour huge spending in January.

Post #557735  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:31 am 

Jorginho is technically a very tidy player but he's got no pace and no legs, not really Parteyesque in any shape or form.

In the event of a Partey injury, does that mean we drop Xhaka in Partey's role and play Jorginho higher up the pitch where his lack of pace and mobility is less of an issue?

Post #557736  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Oh wow. I was assuming that he was a free. Anything else is not great.

Post #557737  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:35 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Do they? They seem to be impervious to FFP. Is it the squad numbers thing then?

Can't fit triple digit numbers on shirts?

Post #557738  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:51 am 

socrates wrote:
Jorginho is technically a very tidy player but he's got no pace and no legs, not really Parteyesque in any shape or form.

In the event of a Partey injury, does that mean we drop Xhaka in Partey's role and play Jorginho higher up the pitch where his lack of pace and mobility is less of an issue?

I would assume the system would get tweaked so it’s more of a 2 to protect the back 4

Post #557739  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:54 am 

Fee is 12m. That’s a lot for a player who is only signing a 16 month contract.

Post #557740  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

I would assume the system would get tweaked so it’s more of a 2 to protect the back 4

Very slow, one-paced midfield.

Post #557741  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Ridiculous.

Reeks of deadline day desperation.

Arteta wanted him apparently, lets hope he's got this one right.

Post #557742  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hardly a league-winning formula if there is a long term problem with Partey? But that was always going to be a big ask.

So a decent bench option maybe.

Post #557743  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:07 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ridiculous.

This is the most important thing really.

People are comparing it to the wengers chelsea signings but we have Arteta in control now. A control freak who can’t stand his players giving the ball away let alone tracking back. Nothing misses him.

He’s probably going to start 3-4 games at most before being sold in the summer. Honestly just don’t play Partey in any europa games.

Post #557744  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:20 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Is it that much money? What can you sign nowadays for £12m.
I’m not massively keen on the signing and we’re taking a certain degree of risk here but the reality is he’s hopefully only needed for 6-8 games this season and next season is a bonus.

How many prem ready players could have come in and helped us? Caicedo and Rice for sure but we can’t get those guys now.

I think if you imagine Jorginho only plays the last 25 minutes of some games to give Partey a rest and maybe starts some Europa games and a couple of home games against the bottom 3 his presence shouldn’t effect the team

Post #557745  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ridiculous.

He’s been right on most things that the fans questioned him on. If you can’t be backed as a manager by the fans when you’re top of the league with a 5 point lead having turned over the entire squad in 3 years then when can you?

Post #557746  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:24 am 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 72610.html

Unbelievable
Speechless.
That stuttering penalty run up is bad enough but he is as slow as f****
How on earth does he do the same job as Partey???
I hope Arteta has got this right.
Only upside is it doesn't hinder us getting Rice/Caciedo in the summer.

Post #557747  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:45 am 

Apparently lokonga is being loaned to palace. Just bizarre.

So you are still down to only 1 player covering Partey

Post #557748  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:29 am 

Here's a cracker from Arseblogger:

"BREAKING NEWS- Chelsea have just submitted a £33m bid for Jorginho!"

:laughing7:

Post #557749  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:49 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is it that much money? What can you sign nowadays for £12m.
I’m not massively keen on the signing and we’re taking a certain degree of risk here but the reality is he’s hopefully only needed for 6-8 games this season and next season is a bonus.

How many prem ready players could have come in and helped us? Caicedo and Rice for sure but we can’t get those guys now.

I think if you imagine Jorginho only plays the last 25 minutes of some games to give Partey a rest and maybe starts some Europa games and a couple of home games against the bottom 3 his presence shouldn’t effect the team

£12m is a lot for a 31 year old with only 6 months left on his contract. Having said that, are people not dismissing him a bit too readily? He is a very talented player in terms of technique and passing ability. He doesn't have pace but he never did. He won't press well but that doesn't mean he can't play on a team that does. Italy were very aggressive at pressing when they won the Euros with Jorginho sitting behind it and dictating a lot of the play.

It isn't a signing to set the pulses racing but he is a good player.

Post #557750  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:03 pm 

socrates wrote:

Xhaka is being layed further forward and it is Partey who has been deeper. Given Xhaka's tackling "technique" I would not put him deeper. I 'd say Jorghino will be used in Europa League matches and where Partey is subbed and we are comfortably ahead.

Post #557751  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:04 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... -deal-2024

Quote:
But the deal has been met with surprise and worry as former Rangers striker Ally McCoist doesn’t think Jorginho has the attributes to play for Arsenal.

McCoist said on talkSPORT: “Not a good move for Arsenal. There is some of that (the fact that I am a Chelsea fan). He’s not mobile or has high enough energy for Arsenal, at this moment in time.

On the possibility of Jorginho being a bench player, McCoist added: “Are you telling me that you are signing from my team, as bench players? Is this what it’s come to?! Wow! Wow! (on the tables turning between Chelsea and Arsenal). Why would you sign him?!

Post #557752  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:19 pm 

Erikssen out till late April

Post #557753  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:28 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-romano-reveals-jorginho-fee-confirms-chelsea-deal-2024

Quote:
But the deal has been met with surprise and worry as former Rangers striker Ally McCoist doesn’t think Jorginho has the attributes to play for Arsenal.

McCoist said on talkSPORT: “Not a good move for Arsenal. There is some of that (the fact that I am a Chelsea fan). He’s not mobile or has high enough energy for Arsenal, at this moment in time.

On the possibility of Jorginho being a bench player, McCoist added: “Are you telling me that you are signing from my team, as bench players? Is this what it’s come to?! Wow! Wow! (on the tables turning between Chelsea and Arsenal). Why would you sign him?!

What!?!?

Ally McCoist is a Chelsea fan!?!?

Post #557754  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:46 pm 

I'm sure we've all heard the news. Not the ideal signing. Obviously a stop gap as his age alone goes against Arteta's methodology of signing great YOUNG players who are mobile.

His signing can only mean, at least to me, all other options were not available. Also, we'll have to wait for the summer for any big DCM /holding midfielder signings.

The two positives are, first, he's experienced and knows how to win and won't freeze up in big games and make mistakes like Lokonga. Second, its help. It's a body we can put in there that is better than we already have in that position.

The gooner who called in this video says we are doing Chelsea a favor and said we could have put Zinchenko or White in there in a bind, admittedly the latter has been by some as not an option. I'm just hoping its not another Willian debacle. Čech was a good signing but he couldn't save a PK to save his life.

Post #557755  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:54 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Erikssen out till late April

I've lost interest in United now that their games against us and City are finished.

Post #557756  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-romano-reveals-jorginho-fee-confirms-chelsea-deal-2024

What!?!?

Ally McCoist is a Chelsea fan!?!?

There’s a few connections between Chelsea and rangers historically.

I’ve watched us at Ibrox and the rangers fans were chanting “Chelsea,Chelsea,Chelsea” to taunt us. Obviously this left us a bit bemused as surely spurs would have been a better bet.

More here

https://www.reddit.com/r/chelseafc/comm ... riendship/

Post #557757  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:31 pm 

If it’s Jorginho, I agree it’s not an inspiring transfer.

However, Arteta has got us to where we currently are; top of the league by 2 points with 2 games in hand. So I think he’s entitled to do what he thinks best.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

Post #557758  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm 

Likewise with rangers and Chelsea I’m sure our older fans will remember the joint Arsenal/Celtic bobble hats you always used to see in the 80s around Highbury

Post #557759  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:38 pm 

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Jorghinio, however its probably not a bad signing for a few reasons.
1) He is surely an upgrade on Lokonga who has struggled season.
2) The bloke has won a ton of stuff so he should be used to the pressure/expectations on Arsenal this season.
3) It does keep a lot of our powder dry to continue improving the first team this summer which seems sensible.
4) In these days of crazy transfer fees approx £10M is not a lot.
5) Hopefully we dont need him to play every remaining game. But if it means we can give Partey/Xhaka a rest or reduce their minutes then it may even protect them from getting injured.
Of course if he's rubbish ignore everything i've just said.

Post #557760  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 pm 

I'll have to trust Arteta. Until we see him play in our system, we are only speculating. I recall gooners being very underwhelmed by White and Ramsdale and they turned out decently for us.

Xkaka is still slow and doing well.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13941, 13942, 13943, 13944, 13945, 13946, 13947 ... 14269  Next