Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner and 97 guests

Post #557441  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:13 am 

Ten Hag said he was happy with his sides defensive performance (despite conceding 3) and said Man U limited Arsenal to shots from distance……
Arsenal had 25 shots, 20 of them in the box, had an average shot distance from goal of 14.5m and scored two goals from the 6 yard box.

Nice one Eric

Post #557442  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:31 am 

Imagine when Jesus got injured that we’d dipped in to the market and bought a striker who had just scored 6 goals in his first 6 games for us. That’s what Nketiah has done since the restart.
Goal v West Ham
Goal v Brighton
Very nearly got the winner v Newcastle
2 goals v Oxford in the cup
Could have scored a couple v spurs
2 goals v Man U including the 90th minute winner

If this was a new player he’d be an absolute hero to the fans. I think Nketiah is getting the credit he deserves now from the fans but it’s worth putting in to contest what he’s done.

Post #557443  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:47 am 

Saliba walked the yellow card suspension tightrope for 9 premier league games. Fair play

Post #557444  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:20 am 

Current rumor is Onana from Everton

Post #557445  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:51 am 

dec wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
True, but does anybody really think losing twice to City in the league would not have a major impact on our progress? To get the poor league record against them off our back we need a draw at least in one of those games.

Two draws would be absolutely fine. But, I think we are getting well ahead of ourselves with talk of winning the rest of our games. We are only half way through the season. Points will be dropped by both sides. Our lead could disappear very quickly. Remember the season when Man Utd were 8 points clear with 5 games left and they lost it. And that's not to mention the impact of injuries. We are in a great position but there's a very long way to go.

Hi Dec,

Totally agree. As great as it feels to be top and as well as we are playing there is still half the season to go and the wheels could easily come off if we are hit with injuries to say Partey, Saka, Ødegaard or Xhaka. I'd put Zinchenko in that category as well as no one else in the squad can play the inverted LB role like he does. He might even be the most crucial player of all.

The PL is really tough, every game is a battle and every side possesses players who can hurt you even when you are dominating a game.

If the gap is still big with 10 games to go then start believing, but at the moment just enjoy the ride and be cautiously optimistic.

Put it this way, at this stage if I had to put my life savings on who I thought would win the PL I'd still go for City. They have the squad and the experience.

Post #557446  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:26 am 

Clubs that have played both us and City say we are playing the best football, but I don't want us to get carried away. The first half told us we are not just a top 4 club in the league but at the high end of that top 4. We are at least, right now, one of the two best clubs.

City will tell us if we are title challengers. I wish the first game would have been a league game. I'd gladly give up the FA cup if we won and drew one in the league against City.

Post #557447  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:30 am 

It could even be argued that on form at game time Man Utd were the best team in the league besides us. That on current form, it was harder to beat them after they had beaten City. Tough reasoning with them playing at home against City and playing us away. Reverse that and its a different result most likely.

Post #557448  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 am 

Zed wrote:
Everton now the third English club up for sale. Moshiri is selling for £500M. Fan protests must've gotten to him.

Complicated situation with them being part way through building a new stadium.

Post #557449  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 am 

Did anyone see that comment from moshiri that it wasn’t his decision to sack Lampard. Basically more fuel to the fire that the club is owned by usmanov indirectly

Post #557450  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:14 am 

Chelsea have bid 55m for Moses caicedo and it’s been rejected and are now going back with a Bigger offer. Potter seemed to be making comments that they should offer 100 million for him I mean ffs :14laughter:

I mean is any of this not mental. Are the football authorities going to look at it.

There was a suggestion they are going back for Fernandez too.

Post #557451  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:29 pm 

I always thought Neville would have preferred us over City

Post #557452  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I always thought Neville would have preferred us over City

Who cares?

Post #557453  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:27 pm 

Cédric to Fulham on loan is close. Would save us nearly £2m from his £100k a week wages

Post #557454  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:47 pm 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi DHD,

Thanks for the lovely post.

I still miss Bernard and I've never met the fella. He was a constant on here and really part of the fabric of the forum for two decades. Almost every time I logged on there was a fairly recent Bernard post.

He was definitely a one-off, slightly eccentric, very idiosyncratic and as stubborn as any mule you'd ever find. We all loved him for it, though.

I've said this before but he had this endearing way where whenever he was losing an argument he'd keep moving the goalposts every so slightly until he could swing the argument back in his favour. :laughing7:

I think everyone misses him.

I also miss Arsenal Fishbar and Mee, what wonderful people and I am sure there are others we've lost without even realising it.

Thanks DHD and Socrates. Very nicely expressed.

Agree. Nicely put by both.

Post #557455  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:48 pm 

warrior wrote:
Zed wrote:
Everton now the third English club up for sale. Moshiri is selling for £500M. Fan protests must've gotten to him.

Maybe we should put in a bid so Chelsea ends up with them ?

:laughing7:
That would be fitting.

Post #557456  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Did anyone see that comment from moshiri that it wasn’t his decision to sack Lampard. Basically more fuel to the fire that the club is owned by usmanov indirectly

Well supposedly it wasn't his choice. Hence Moshiri's sudden announcement club is up for sale, if Usmanov still connected in any remote way.

Post #557457  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:56 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Complicated situation with them being part way through building a new stadium.

Like to see who takes over to complete this buildout.

Post #557458  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm 

There are fears Elneny’s knee injury is serious and could keep him out for the season - which may force us in to the market for a central midfielder.

I think we need one.
Trossard gives good attacking cover and Kiwior gives us options to rotate at the back. But in central midfield we’re now massively reliant on Partey/Xhaka/Ødegaard. Only really Ødegaard has cover in Emile Smith Rowe and Vieira. Lokonga hasn’t worked so far and looks like he needs a loan. Partey back up is non existent, if he was out I think we’d have to move Xhaka back there and use Emile Smith Rowe/Trossard in Xhaka’s role

Post #557459  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
There are fears Elneny’s knee injury is serious and could keep him out for the season - which may force us in to the market for a central midfielder.

I think we need one.
Trossard gives good attacking cover and Kiwior gives us options to rotate at the back. But in central midfield we’re now massively reliant on Partey/Xhaka/Ødegaard. Only really Ødegaard has cover in Emile Smith Rowe and Vieira. Lokonga hasn’t worked so far and looks like he needs a loan. Partey back up is non existent, if he was out I think we’d have to move Xhaka back there and use Emile Smith Rowe/Trossard in Xhaka’s role

I did read yesterday that Kiwior could possibly play defensive midfield. No idea how much experience he has of that though.

Post #557460  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think we need one.

I did read yesterday that Kiwior could possibly play defensive midfield. No idea how much experience he has of that though.

Can Ben White fill in ?

Post #557461  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:55 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Can Ben White fill in ?

That sounds more promising than throwing in an untested player out of position.

Perhaps Zinchenko can cover Xhaka's position if necessary?

Post #557462  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 pm 

I always think it’s dangerous if you lose a first 11 player to then pluck other first 11 players out of their positions to fill the gaps.

In theory if Partey got injured (with Elneny out as well) you could move Xhaka to deep midfield, Zinchenko to Xhaka’s position and being in Tierney. But it feels like shuffling too many parts.

I don’t know about Ben White there, I prefer Xhaka for the ball progression ability.

Arsenal are likely to try hard for another central mid, remember when we thought Elneny would miss a fair chunk of the start of the season we went with 3 bids for Douglas Luiz at the end of the summer window. Well we’re in the same position now.

Tielemans is still there and easily obtainable, but you’d question why the club haven’t done it yet if they really wanted him. He’s also more Xhaka’s position than Partey.
Reading lots about making a big play for Declan Rice in the summer. He’d be excellent but West Ham won’t sell him mid season when they’re in a dog fight at the bottom.
Onana from Everton is another mentioned, huge guy, more of a screen that Partey’s all round game but could do a job

Post #557463  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:33 pm 

They will sign somebody there’s no way they will play the polish centre back in that position. Whilst he’s played there it was last season and all his recent games are at centre half. They aren’t moving Ben white either.

Got a feeling this guy might turn up despite our fans pissing his dad off :laughing7:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-29043271

Would feel a bit meh though

Post #557464  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Chelsea have bid 55m for Moses caicedo and it’s been rejected and are now going back with a Bigger offer. Potter seemed to be making comments that they should offer 100 million for him I mean ffs :14laughter:

I mean is any of this not mental. Are the football authorities going to look at it.

There was a suggestion they are going back for Fernandez too.

It is certainly being looked at. UEFA are bringing in a rule to limit transfer fee amortisation to 5 years. Chelsea are trying to get around FFP by offering these long contracts and amortising them accordingly. It's a very risky strategy because if players don't work out you are stuck with these guys on high wages for years.

We will probably have to wait until next year to see how it impacts on their financial accounts and then see if UEFA will act.

Post #557465  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
They will sign somebody there’s no way they will play the polish centre back in that position. Whilst he’s played there it was last season and all his recent games are at centre half. They aren’t moving Ben white either.

Got a feeling this guy might turn up despite our fans pissing his dad off :laughing7:

:

No.idea about the Juve guy, but I agree on the rest. They aren't going to throw in the Polish kid in central.midfield. Elneny is hardly long term cover for Partey anyway. Given our league position and the chance we have to do something remarkable, I think we will bring in a decent midfielder.

Post #557466  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:56 pm 

Mudryk's eight and a half year contract provoked the thought that even the President of the US doesn't get that long.

Post #557467  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

We aren't going to get anyone even close to being good enough to do what Partey does for the team (as least not in January).
If Partey gets crocked we'll have to rethink the midfield.

Mckennie looked lively and combative at the WC and might be a good squad addition, but (judging from a very small sample of games) ... as you say , a bit meh...

Post #557468  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:27 am 

Man Utd will likely end the season with a trophy, the league cup. I'm hoping Newcastle wins and beats them in the final, but I'd think the odds makers will side with Man Utd I'm guessing. Ironically enough its going to be these two clubs more than likely fighting for the 3rd and 4th spots in the league.

Post #557469  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:45 am 

I’ve just read an article lauding the new found ‘dark arts’ employed by Newcastle. It enjoyed how Eddie Howe said ‘we’re not here to be popular we’re here to compete’. It said how Howe had spent time observing Simeone’s Atletico Madrid in his time away from the game, Lascelles has been booked twice as a sub for interfering with the play, Joelinton is the enforcer and has 7 yellows, they waste time, Wilson scuffed the penalty spot before Mitrovic slipped and missed from the spot recently, Jacob Murphy waving off a Saints player when he was carded, the coaching bench launching a bottle at Klopp, tactical injuries to eat up time and how Howe’s ‘handsome’ assistant Tindall can turn ugly with his antics on the touchline.

It’s funny because I thought we’re getting absolutely lambasted for only a fraction of that behaviour. And Arteta has been doing what he’s doing ever since he started at Arsenal and it’s strange that it’s only now that we’re top of the league that people find anything wrong with it. But plucky ‘state sponsored’ underdogs Newcastle are lauded for anything they can do to topple the elite?

Simon Jordan says a lot of things but he got it spot on with Arteta, he said people are getting overly upset because he’s seen as a jonny-come-lately, he shouldn’t be this good this soon, he’s putting noses out of joint and his thoughts and tactical brain on the game are hugely threatening for anyone who still goes for the ‘get in their faces’ approach to winning games. Wenger had to put up with this all his Arsenal career.

Post #557470  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:48 am 

How nice to see a list of Arsenal squad wages and not see loads of players who are bleeding the club dry for their wage. It’s been far too long.

Attachments:

Post #557471  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:26 am 

As someone commented on The Guardian website, 'What is so exciting and encouraging about this season is that we are clearly the best team in the league over the first half, and by a noticeable margin. And critically, we have backed up important wins with more important wins, and bounced back from our rare setbacks immediately (loss to United, crushed Brentford away next game. Drew with Southampton, crushed Forest next game. Drew with Newcastle, followed up with an away win at Spurs).'

Post #557472  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:44 pm 

Break our transfer record in a January window. Can’t see it.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 55782.html

Post #557473  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:47 pm 

Guardiola on Arteta.

"He's an Arsenal fan. He was always jumping and celebrating except against one team... I was jumping and when I turned to him he was sitting there. That team was Arsenal."

"I'm pretty sure if I left before and he was here it would be better. But I extended the contract. I'm sorry and he didn't wait."

…. Reminder people here wanted the bloke sacked last year :58big-emoticons:

Post #557474  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:52 pm 

Rumor season coincides with the transfer window
Latest is Moises Caicedo @ Brighton

Post #557475  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:56 pm 

If things go according to level and form the league cup will be Newcastle vs Man Utd and I'm sure I'm not the only gooner who will be cheering for Newcastle that day.

That being said, we may end up facing Man Utd again this season. Right now, we've got to be at or near the top of the favorites for the Europa League cup. Man Utd play Barcelona in the same competition and while Barca should be the favorites, I can't rule out Ten to come up with the right tactics to take Barca.

We could end up with Man Utd again in a Semi or Final. I'd love to avoid it but it could happen. More than likely Barca but again, with their present form, and having a manager who is good at tactics, I can't count them out by any stretch.

Post #557476  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm 

Some talk around Ibrahima Bamba

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... ase-clause

£26.5m release clause, defensive midfielder but has been playing CB in Brazil this season. He’s only 20

Post #557477  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 pm 

Now Kolo Touré sacked from Wigan.

Post #557478  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:38 pm 

Kiwior’s agent

“Zinchenko dragged Jakub into the changing room after the game against Manchester United. I think when he saw what kind of atmosphere there was, he already wanted to participate from the pitch.”

Zinchenko fast becoming a huge fan favourite. And to think Gary Neville said he’d watched Zinchenko and said he wasn’t a leader. Despite him being his nations captain and plenty of evidence in City team talks which he led.

The problem I have with Neville and Arsenal is not that he has an opinion that I think is wrong it’s that he refuses to use the evidence in front of his eyes to revise that opinion. Last week you had Carragher talking about Arsenals wide players and Neville was talking about what it was like in his day marking Marc Overmars. That was 20 years ago when everyone played 4-4-2 and full backs overlapped wide men….talk about the perspective of the full back with modern formations, 4-3-3 and how he’d play against Martinelli with no full back overlapping but instead Xhaka popping up between him and his CB, and then Zinchenko dropping in to central midfield.

Post #557479  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:21 am 

DHD wrote:

And then today, I went to Bernard's memorial gathering. I confess I have found Bernard's death really difficult to process. This was a man I'd known for maybe 25 years, exchanging views and opinions often daily. And yet I met him only once and we'd never had a proper spoken conversation. I had no idea of the circumstances of his death and I wasn't able to offer my condolences to his family because I didn't know them and I had no contact details. Thankfully, today has filled in a number of those blanks for me and I have been able to meet and talk with his wife and one of his daughters. Today has been helpful. I can confirm that Bernard was a remarkable man.

Plenty of Gooners including representatives of The Supporters Trust and The Gooner; both were important to Bernard and he was to them. There was a smattering of Forumites there though not many active contributors. Chapeau to truegooner, Gaz ( B/Wood ) and Pete on the beach. I think Pete is going to post something here soon so I won't spoil his thunder.

Sorry not had a chance to post pics etc yet , since Monday I’ve been hit with a real busy week , will aim for next week

Post #557480  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:39 am 

Highest yearly wage spends of football clubs.

Remarkable how we’ve slashed our wage bill. All but level with Spurs and between £130-170m less than Man U, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. For now that helps bridge the gap of not having Champions League money, if we get Champions League money next year which looks increasingly strong we add something in the region of £80m extra revenue per season guaranteed rather than being in the Europa. Someone like Declan Rice may not be out of reach after all

Attachments:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13934, 13935, 13936, 13937, 13938, 13939, 13940 ... 14269  Next