Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 108 guests

Post #553001  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:16 pm 

Very logical changes, rest Martinelli & Xhaka

Post #553002  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:20 pm 

Still some fight left in Bodo

Post #553003  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Still some fight left in Bodo

We've been ordinary in the second half. We need to be careful here.

Post #553004  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Why Saka? He has looked tired in some games.

Post #553005  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:36 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Perhaps in hope he will score and boost his confidence for the Pool game. Believe he hasn't scored yet this season.

Post #553006  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:37 pm 

These guys are no mugs
Will be tricky for us on their artificial pitch next week.
This group is far from won.
To win this competition we are going to need to see more of the first 11 as we progress as the opposition get harder.

Post #553007  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:37 pm 

Tomiyasu is so versatile, can play anywhere in the backline.

Post #553008  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:37 pm 

Wasteful from Nketiah there.

Post #553009  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:40 pm 

Let's see how Reiss measures up

Post #553010  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:40 pm 

Nelson getting a few minutes, Eddie off. He got a good goal but he's been underwhelming overall.

Post #553011  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:42 pm 

Phew. That’s put it to bed then. Jesus just sheer magic.

Post #553012  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:42 pm 

3-0 Vieira, that was absolutely brilliant from Jesus

Post #553013  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:43 pm 

Touch of class from Jesus there to set up Vieira.

Post #553014  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:43 pm 

Wow oh wow Jesus :53big-emoticons:
Vieira deserved his goal

Post #553015  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:45 pm 

Has everyone completely underestimated how good a footballer Jesus is simply because he was in a star studded City team and didn’t start every game

Post #553016  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
Has everyone completely underestimated how good a footballer Jesus is simply because he was in a star studded City team and didn’t start every game

I think so, I certainly underestimated him and I really rated him and was happy when we were first linked. Same thing with Zinchenko, saw him as a neat and tidy player who did his job at City, but I had definitely underestimated what a gifted player he is.

Post #553017  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:00 pm 

Disappointing 2nd half, lost control of the game and as a consequence had to bring on some of the big guns.

Did give us the chance to see what quality Jesus and Ødegaard have though.

I thought Tomiyasu was excellent, as was Tierney and Rob Holding was very good too.

Turner did well with his shotstopping but the ball is like a hot potato at his feet.

Nketiah showed glimpses and scored an excellent goal with an instinctive finish.

Vieira is very much like David Silva or Bernardo Silva, not the biggest or strongest but with superb technique, touch and vision.

Marquinhos looked a bit overawed to be honest but the quality is there.

Definite big hole in the centre of the park without Partey though.

Post #553018  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:04 pm 

Beat Bodo away and PSV in our next two games in Europa and we’d have 12 points and those two would only be able to have a maximum of 7 points. Considering they would still need to play each other it would be enough for us to qualify…..and we’d likely just need a point more to finish top and avoid an extra knock out round tie which the 2nd placed team has to do.

I think Arteta goes quite strong for the PSV home game

Post #553019  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:00 pm 

Good win tonight. Don't rush about the PSV match, as jolly, jolly, Oct. 13 Arsenal play Bodo away. Their fans will be up for it.

Post #553020  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:21 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Perhaps in hope he will score and boost his confidence for the Pool game. Believe he hasn't scored yet this season.

Saka scored our goal in the 3-1 defeat at Old Trafford against Manchester United.

Post #553021  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:25 pm 

3 nil but It wasn’t a good performance really which sounds odd

I thought Marquinhos had a really bad game and but for the 2 nil lead would have been hooked at half time. Turner looked a bit shaky and had terrible distribution and I have to say despite his goal it was hardly a performance to propel Nketiah back in the side. To be centre forward for Arsenal you have to have more to your game than chasing down loose balls in the hope the defender or keeper dwells on it.

That said Tommy was superb plus Tierney too and vieira showed some of his ability.

Post #553022  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Saka scored our goal in the 3-1 defeat at Old Trafford against Manchester United.

Oh good, at least he has that knocked away

Post #553023  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I thought Marquinhos had a really bad game and but for the 2 nil lead would have been hooked at half time. Turner looked a bit shaky and had terrible distribution and I have to say despite his goal it was hardly a performance to propel Nketiah back in the side. To be centre forward for Arsenal you have to have more to your game than chasing down loose balls in the hope the defender or keeper dwells on it.

That said Tommy was superb plus Tierney too and vieira showed some of his ability.

I thought the worst player for us was Lokonga, he looked lost most of the time. And mostly playing sideways and back.

Post #553024  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:50 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I thought the worst player for us was Lokonga, he looked lost most of the time. And mostly playing sideways and back.

He was okish. He loves a sideways pass but is neat and tidy. I don’t really see him imposing himself on many games. However walking away from the ground my gut feeling was that our back up is now very strong in some areas and weak in others. To maintain a title challenge I think we need a genuine alternative to Thomas Partey, a new winger and I’m sorry to say new striker

Post #553025  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:26 am 

It is great to see some true depth in the squad, players who you now feel step in to the first 11 and there is not a break in fluidity and quality. Despite their relatively small squad this has been City's strength for a while. We need more in January though

Post #553026  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

He was okish. He loves a sideways pass but is neat and tidy. I don’t really see him imposing himself on many games. However walking away from the ground my gut feeling was that our back up is now very strong in some areas and weak in others. To maintain a title challenge I think we need a genuine alternative to Thomas Partey, a new winger and I’m sorry to say new striker

There is certainly a Thomas Partey shaped hole in our central midfield whenever he does not play. The way in which a modest team like Bodo gained control of the match in the 2nd half was a concern.

We don't really need a back-up, more a player on his level who can offer serious competition for his place. Not easy to find but definitely needed.

I read that Kante had been offered to us. I think if the financials were OK I'd take him as a a short term option if no longer term option is available.

Post #553027  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:41 am 

Thought it was a pretty decent performance last night, considering we switched almost our entire starting eleven. One thing noticeable in the first half was that despite changing 8 players from the weekend you could still see the same structure to our game, the same patterns of play, the same movements. The way we play looks set now, and our squad players look comfortable in their roles as well.

Tomiyasu and Tierney both made a case for being first choice in their positions, thought they were both great. Nketiah never stopped running, but we couldn't generate the same level of offense as a team and I felt he wasn't given enough to work with. Vieira is hugely talented, but there's still a big difference in the way Ødegaard affects the game compared to him. He'll learn though.

Post #553028  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:41 am 

Focus moves to Liverpool now

Can’t go due to my eldests birthday, tough game this one. We are no pushovers at home, the atmosphere will be amazing but Klopp desperately needs a big result.

Post #553029  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:28 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Tomiyasu and Tierney both made a case for being first choice in their positions, thought they were both great. Nketiah never stopped running, but we couldn't generate the same level of offense as a team and I felt he wasn't given enough to work with. Vieira is hugely talented, but there's still a big difference in the way Ødegaard affects the game compared to him. He'll learn though.

I also felt Tomiyasu (my man of the match) and Tierney were both exceptional. Indeed, as admirably as White has performed at right back this season, if I was choosing the starting eleven for a really important game Tomiyasu would probably be the right back.

Tierney or Zinchenko at left back is perhaps an even harder choice. I still think Zinchenko goes wandering a bit too much leaving the left side of the defence over exposed. So I might go with Tierney as the left back, but it’s a close call.

Post #553030  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:41 am 

Full back is definately the area of the squad where we are well covered. Whatever option is chosen is very, very good.

Post #553031  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:10 am 

Liverpool is definitely our biggest test so far. Going into the games against Man Utd and Tottenham it was very likely that we'd have 60-65% possession and be the dominant side in terms of controlling the play, and it would be a question of if we could minimize defensive mistakes and neutralize their counter attacks - against Man Utd we didn't manage to do that, but we did against Tottenham and got the deserved result in each match.

This will be our first opponent of the season where it's not certain we'll see more of the ball than our opponent. We should not be fooled by their poor form, at their best Liverpool are still a better team than us and they've been remarkably consistent for a number of years now. That being said, looking at the form for both teams this is obviously a very good time to be playing them. Really looking forward to this, a sizeable challenge for the team.

Post #553032  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:37 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

There is certainly a Thomas Partey shaped hole in our central midfield whenever he does not play. The way in which a modest team like Bodo gained control of the match in the 2nd half was a concern.

We don't really need a back-up, more a player on his level who can offer serious competition for his place. Not easy to find but definitely needed.

I read that Kante had been offered to us. I think if the financials were OK I'd take him as a a short term option if no longer term option is available.

The lone 6 role that Partey plays to a high level is one of the hardest profiles to find in world football right now. In the premier league I think Rodri and Fabinho are the only other two who do this to an elite level. Someone like Busquets has been doing it for years, but even in the prime Barca years he had Xavi sitting more deep than the set up Arsenal have with 2 advanced No.8's

Locatelli at Juve, it would be interesting to see how he's been playing since he moved to them as we were supposedly interested before

Post #553033  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I also felt Tomiyasu (my man of the match) and Tierney were both exceptional. Indeed, as admirably as White has performed at right back this season, if I was choosing the starting eleven for a really important game Tomiyasu would probably be the right back.

Tierney or Zinchenko at left back is perhaps an even harder choice. I still think Zinchenko goes wandering a bit too much leaving the left side of the defence over exposed. So I might go with Tierney as the left back, but it’s a close call.

Great to have those choices. I'm minded to agree with you that up against a really tough opponent with top class wingers I'd maybe go Tomiyasu and Tierney. But other games and tactics may suit White and Zinchenko better. White as a right-back has certainly surprised me so far this season - he's been excellent

Post #553034  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:41 pm 

Rafael Leao at AC Milan, I can imagine a big bid from a rich team within a year. He's very direct, tall, strong and scores goals. Plays mostly from the left wing.

Post #553035  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:46 pm 

One thing we've not quite reached in terms of what City and Liverpool have done for years is relentless scoring when we dominate games. We get the game won but don't kick on and score 5-6.

Not the worst thing to not have yet, winning games is what counts but I'm never relaxed until we get at least a 3-0 lead. We seem to be having enough shots in a game but we're not quite clinical enough, or we tend to drop the intensity still once we get comfortable

Post #553036  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm 

2 big challenges for Man U and Spurs this weekend. Potential sliding doors moments for the immediate part of the season.

Spurs started the season picking up points but not playing particularly well, they then lost 2-0 away at Sporting, got spanked by us 3-1 and drew 0-0 in Frankfurt. Spurs go away to brighton who are a very good side. Lose and this run starts to look very bad and a Conte rant won't be far away. Win and they can look up in the table after securing an excellent away win v a tough side

Man U started horrifically, recovered with some moral boosting wins, but in my opinion those wins glossed over the underlying issues still. They unsurprisingly got outclassed v City, so next they play Everton away who have conceded the fewest goals this season and Lampard seems to have galvanised the fans and the squad as well as making some astute signings through the spine of the team. Beat Everton away would be a very good win and a chance to push on, lose and Everton go above them and they'll still be languishing in mid table.

This feels like one of those weekends which could be very big for the top 4 race with us playing Liverpool as well.

Post #553037  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:12 pm 

Darren wrote:
Full back is definately the area of the squad where we are well covered. Whatever option is chosen is very, very good.

Definitely

I’d also suggest our best 2 full backs are the ones the played last night.

Post #553038  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:14 pm 

I'm feeling strangely calm about the game, which wasn't the case before we played United or Spurs. Just feels like there's not a lot for us to lose here, but a lot to win; worst case scenario after the weekend is we're second, two points behind City so it's not a disaster at all. After Liverpool our next three league games are against Leeds, Southampton and Nottingham Forest, so plenty of opportunity to get back on the horse.

If we win we're still top of the league and beating Liverpool will be a huge boost to the team. We need to get that monkey off our backs.

Post #553039  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:30 pm 

I have a slight feeling that we wont win on sunday. Probably just the memory of too many Liverpool victories against us in recent years.

Post #553040  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:42 pm 

I have absolute faith in this team, I think we'll do Liverpool on sunday

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13823, 13824, 13825, 13826, 13827, 13828, 13829 ... 14269  Next