Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, old man of hoy and 98 guests

Post #552921  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:44 pm 

Arsenal are the most fouled team in the league, averaging 14 fouls per game. But our opponents have actually received fewer yellow cards than we have this season 14 v 15

Post #552922  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:37 am 

Rich wrote:
I'm desperate for us to sort out the contracts of Saliba, Saka and Martinelli - potentially 3 £100m players right there.

on

If contracts aren’t in place by the World Cup you may have a problem. The World Cup is a window to showcase players and if one or two put in impressive performances they could have all manner of clubs trying to turn their heads. I think Saka unlikely, Martinelli slightly more but Saliba most as centre backs or his quality aren’t in abundance and a player of his ilk in a few years could be worth an easy 80-100 million.

Post #552923  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:26 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
We've been brilliant so far this season, but talk of the title only 8 games in strikes me as very optimistic to say the least. Personally I think City must be long odds on. If Haaland does stay fit, I'd say nailed on. And that's not hero worship, just seeing what's staring us all in the face.
For me, getting back in the CL, and persuading Saliba to put pen to paper would make it a highly satisfactory season. I have no worries about Saka extending, but Saliba's going to have every big club in Europe after him.

Morning bromley. To be fair I don’t think anyone is suggesting Arsenal are likely to win it. City are clearly red hot favourites. However, what some of us do or may think (certainly me anyway) is that with only eight games played, it is still way too early to count City as definite or certain winners. I would have said that even if they’d won all their eight games, let alone dropping four points so far in them, which of course they have done.

Who knows, perhaps Haaland will remain injury free for the entire campaign? But if he does it’ll be out of the ordinary considering he missed 33 games through injury in his last three full seasons, and Hazuki pointing out he’s never played 30 games in a league campaign before.

I would bet my wine collection that Arteta is telling the players they have a chance of winning it. Because if he’s not and is telling them they have no hope at all of finishing above City, putting such a negative mind set into the players could even compromise (hopefully not scupper but who knows) our fight for a top four place. I think Arteta telling our players it’s impossible to finish above City would show mental weakness, and I don’t believe that’s a characteristic that applies to him.

Post #552924  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 am 

Headline 'Chelsea are monitoring Martinelli's contract situation' - he has 2 years left plus a further year option for the club.

Post #552925  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:11 am 

Rich wrote:
Headline 'Chelsea are monitoring Martinelli's contract situation' - he has 2 years left plus a further year option for the club.

Perhaps Arsenal should mention to a reporter or two that we’re monitoring Reece James and Mason Mount’s contract situations?

Post #552926  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:32 am 

I never expected this situation where we would have Saliba starting all 8 premier league games and being absolutely outstanding.
The fact that there was so much uncertainty with him being on loan for all his time here and many including me thinking Arteta didn't fancy him and he wouldn't get much playing time which would lead to him getting frustrated and looking for a way out.
This is actually the perfect scenario where Saliba looks totally invested , playing magnificently , celebrates the goals with so much passion and Arteta is praising him to the hills and has forced Ben White to right back.
It would have been very interesting to see what the starting line up would have been had Tomiyasu been fully fit for the Palace game.
Very likely he would have gone for the tried and tested of White and Gabriel which would have had Saliba kicking his heels on the bench apart from the Europa league games and league cup.
So happy for the boy. He looks so composed and his reading of the game is superb.
The way he dribbled out of our box on saturday with such authority and composure was a joy to behold.
i think Edu and Arteta are aware of how special he is and will look to tie him down as soon as possible.
Saliba says he is happy in london so here's hoping.

Post #552927  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Perhaps Arsenal should mention to a reporter or two that we’re monitoring Reece James and Mason Mount’s contract situations?

I thought exactly the same.

Post #552928  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:53 pm 

A rollicking good NLD win just makes the entire week so much more enjoyable doesn’t it?

Post #552929  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:58 pm 

With Cédric fit it looks like we could rest almost all of the first 11 for Thursday
Turner, Cédric, Holding, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Lokonga, Xhaka, Vieira, Marquinhos, Nelson, Nketiah

I’m not happy about risking Xhaka but the guy never seems to get injured or show any fatigue. I don’t think Nwaneri can play as I read that in Uefa comps you have to be 16.
Not sure who else might come in to midfield. Smith possibly but it’s a risk in only the 2nd game in the group.

It shows that we need a little bit more depth because we’re only missing Elneny and Emile Smith Rowe. Another central midfielder and a winger in January and we have a squad that covers pretty much all bases

Post #552930  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:52 pm 

Arteta’s squad after his first summer window. Only 12 of the 30 remain

Attachments:

Post #552931  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:27 pm 

Michael Oliver is the ref for the game v Liverpool

Post #552932  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:39 pm 

Anybody use this one pre match ? Ignore the shite review it’s a nice place

https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/res ... 09464.html

Post #552933  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
A rollicking good NLD win just makes the entire week so much more enjoyable doesn’t it?

Amazing isn’t it.

I’ve been laughing all week so far.

Belter of a game that’s stuck in the memory, it was complete Tottenham bingo too.

Post #552934  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
We've been brilliant so far this season, but talk of the title only 8 games in strikes me as very optimistic to say the least. Personally I think City must be long odds on. If Haaland does stay fit, I'd say nailed on. And that's not hero worship, just seeing what's staring us all in the face.
For me, getting back in the CL, and persuading Saliba to put pen to paper would make it a highly satisfactory season. I have no worries about Saka extending, but Saliba's going to have every big club in Europe after him.

Morning bromley. To be fair I don’t think anyone is suggesting Arsenal are likely to win it. City are clearly red hot favourites. However, what some of us do or may think (certainly me anyway) is that with only eight games played, it is still way too early to count City as definite or certain winners. I would have said that even if they’d won all their eight games, let alone dropping four points so far in them, which of course they have done.

Who knows, perhaps Haaland will remain injury free for the entire campaign? But if he does it’ll be out of the ordinary considering he missed 33 games through injury in his last three full seasons, and Hazuki pointing out he’s never played 30 games in a league campaign before.

I would bet my wine collection that Arteta is telling the players they have a chance of winning it. Because if he’s not and is telling them they have no hope at all of finishing above City, putting such a negative mind set into the players could even compromise (hopefully not scupper but who knows) our fight for a top four place. I think Arteta telling our players it’s impossible to finish above City would show mental weakness, and I don’t believe that’s a characteristic that applies to him.

Evening Bernard
I am sure Arteta isn’t telling our players that anything is impossible, finishing above City or anything else. I would hope he’s telling them to believe in themselves and focusing on being the best they can be on a consistent basis. But I doubt he’s mentioning trophies of any sort at this point.
Of course stranger things have happened than City’s season going tits up - it’s just hard to see. From hoping for top 4 at the start of the season, it’d be a major disappointment not to make top 3 now, and we are live contenders in all the cups. Definitely looking to win one, preferably the Europa.

Post #552935  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:41 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Evening Bernard
I am sure Arteta isn’t telling our players that anything is impossible, finishing above City or anything else. I would hope he’s telling them to believe in themselves and focusing on being the best they can be on a consistent basis. But I doubt he’s mentioning trophies of any sort at this point.
Of course stranger things have happened than City’s season going tits up - it’s just hard to see. From hoping for top 4 at the start of the season, it’d be a major disappointment not to make top 3 now, and we are live contenders in all the cups. Definitely looking to win one, preferably the Europa.

“…..you need to believe in yourselves and believe in each other, because I tell you now guys it is a pleasure to work with you every single day and if we keep the belief, humility and hard work every single day we have a chance to do something really special, really special….ok let’s go!”

Maybe I’ve watched the documentary too many times

Post #552936  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 pm 

Wonder if there’s a realistic threat of Barcelona slipping into the Europa League this season? Three games played by each club in Group C and Bayern are top with 9 points, Inter are second with 6 (they beat Barcelona tonight), Barcelona are third with only 3 points, and Pizeri (the group’s laughing stock) have 0 points.

Before the group started it looked like one of Bayern, Inter and Barcelona would finish third to drop into the Europa League. I was hoping it would be Inter as I think we’d remain the strongest team in the competition even with them joining it. After winning all three matches, Bayern look likely to go through. But with only 3 points from beating Pizeri but losing to Bayern and Inter, Barcelona’s top two place looks under severe threat. If Barcelona do end up in the Europa League, that will make it harder for Arsenal to win it.

Post #552937  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:26 am 

I wonder if Arteta would consider taking back Guendouzi. He is thriving in his role at Marseille, and is Captain at that.
Tavares is also enjoying himself there. Hope his relationship with Arteta is not ruined to the extent he won't want to play for Arsenal again.
Was watching highlights of the Marseille-Sporting match. And Alexis is still the dynamo that he is. Still full of energy.

Post #552938  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:46 am 

gooner7 wrote:
I wonder if Arteta would consider taking back Guendouzi.

More chance of him signing Elvis.

Post #552939  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:47 am 

These stats are why I just can’t see what Spurs do as being sustainable. They’re too reliant on creating a low number of high quality chances and having elite finishers convert those chances at an unsustainable rate. I honestly think teams will work them out as you really just need to stop their only method of scoring, they don’t have multiple threats.

Attachments:

Post #552940  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:55 am 

Rich wrote:
These stats are why I just can’t see what Spurs do as being sustainable. They’re too reliant on creating a low number of high quality chances and having elite finishers convert those chances at an unsustainable rate. I honestly think teams will work them out as you really just need to stop their only method of scoring, they don’t have multiple threats.

I’d like to think you’re right Rich. But Conte was appointed nearly a year ago (7/11/21) and it’s worked for them so far. How long will it have to work for it to be seen as sustainable? I really don’t see Kane and Son declining any time soon.

Post #552941  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:46 am 

gooner7 wrote:
I wonder if Arteta would consider taking back Guendouzi. He is thriving in his role at Marseille, and is Captain at that.

Which one of Ødegaard, vieira, Smithers or xhaka would you drop to accommodate him?

Post #552942  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Which one of Ødegaard, vieira, Smithers or xhaka would you drop to accommodate him?

Why haven’t you included Partey in the shortlist? He’s better than Partey.

Post #552943  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:20 am 

Another reason why Conte might not be successful in the long term is the way he handles the squad. When asked why Matt Doherty hasn't played yet this season Conte replied "I'm not an idiot, I don't want to lose" which is just a bizarre comment to make in my opinion, and certainly can't be good for squad morale. Artet has had some pretty public falling outs with players, but you won't hear him openly disparage player performances like that.

Even with someone like Pépé, who Arteta clearly doesn't rate, he would always talk about how it's his fault certain players aren't getting enough minutes and how Pépé is excellent in training, has a great attitude etc. With the thin squad Tottenham has, I just don't see the advantage in alienating squad players like that for no reason.

Post #552944  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Not to drop anyone, shore up in case of injuries

Post #552945  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:33 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not to drop anyone, shore up in case of injuries

Expecting an outbreak of the plague or something ?

That’s 4 competing for 2 spots

Post #552946  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:16 pm 

Rich wrote:

1. I can't see any team managing to stem the flow of chances much more than is already the case.
2. Given that they do have Son and Kane, what grounds are there for thinking the conversion rate will drop?

Post #552947  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't see Ødegaard Vieira and Smith Rowe as competing for the same places as Xhaka, Partey, and Sambi. I haven't followed his form, but getting a combative CM like Guendouzi would surely be very handy to shore up the latter group.

Post #552948  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’d like to think you’re right Rich. But Conte was appointed nearly a year ago (7/11/21) and it’s worked for them so far. How long will it have to work for it to be seen as sustainable? I really don’t see Kane and Son declining any time soon.

It has worked in so far that he scraped 4th ahead of us when we were quite depleted at the end of the season. Is that style going to win titles - highly unlikely. Might it win a cup - possibly - but I think they'd need to be very lucky to do it with the tactics they have.

My prediction is more teams will work Spurs out this season. They have very little genuine creative players who can unpick a crowded defence. Also 1 mistake in their tactics rips everything up for them, if they fall behind to anyone decent they have to flip their tactics on their head - that has always seemed a bit strange to me. They've not started well in the CL, 1 point and no goals and their fans are getting restless at the boring football they're being served up each week. I also predict some Mourinho style fallings out and rants from Conte this season as he attempts to distance himself from any mistakes or poor results. Conte's contract is up in 8 months and I don't think he will extend.

Then where do Spurs go from there. Harry Kane will be 30 and have 1 year left on his deal this summer. Most of their reliable elite performers are 29 or over. They have lowered the age of the squad with some recent signings but not many of them have shown they're at top 4 level. I also wonder how the repayment of the stadium is going.....

This season is Conte's win or bust season, he can go all at it and if he fails he can walk away - probably in to the Juve job - and Spurs are left to pick up the pieces.

Of course I'm biased and I hope all of this happens but I think it will for them as well

Post #552949  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:51 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

1. I can't see any team managing to stem the flow of chances much more than is already the case.
2. Given that they do have Son and Kane, what grounds are there for thinking the conversion rate will drop?

Teams get worked out, and working out Conte's football is a lot easier than Klopp's or Pep's. Teams will be scared of the pace and the counter, last year teams didn't have many opportunities to work out Conte's Spurs as it was all quite new - the same could be said when Arteta played the lop sided back 5 to win the FA Cup. If you don't overwhelm teams with your own quality then I think you are easier to plan for.
Kane and Son may still hoover up the chances they get - albeit Son has already shown he's slipped hugely from the heights of last year - but I don't think they'll get as many clear cut chances as they're used to on those counter attacks.
Kane and Son were exceptional last year, can they keep that up again? the slightest drop off from either will affect Spurs far more than most of the other top teams if their best players are off it - never mind the possibility of injuries. If you're so reliant on 2 players and so reliant on the opposition to somewhat play to your strengths I just don't see it as being sustainable.

They may well get top 4 again this season - but where does it actually take them? They have to win things, they have to win them now to make the most of two players in their prime who lets be honest are miles above Spurs station.

Post #552950  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It has worked in so far that he scraped 4th ahead of us when we were quite depleted at the end of the season. Is that style going to win titles - highly unlikely. Might it win a cup - possibly - but I think they'd need to be very lucky to do it with the tactics they have.

Of course I'm biased and I hope all of this happens but I think it will for them as well

I’m not sure winning the league should be the criteria for judging sustainability. Even winning a cup. I’d say a top four place is as good as any.

Post #552951  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Kane and Son were exceptional last year, can they keep that up again? the slightest drop off from either will affect Spurs far more than most of the other top teams if their best players are off it - never mind the possibility of injuries. If you're so reliant on 2 players and so reliant on the opposition to somewhat play to your strengths I just don't see it as being sustainable.

They may well get top 4 again this season - but where does it actually take them? They have to win things, they have to win them now to make the most of two players in their prime who lets be honest are miles above Spurs station.

Rich, Kane had a very poor first half of last season.

You say they have to win things. Are you saying they do but we don’t? If so isn’t that using different criteria to measure success for alternative clubs at the same sort of level?

Post #552952  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don't see Ødegaard Vieira and Smith Rowe as competing for the same places as Xhaka, Partey, and Sambi. I haven't followed his form, but getting a combative CM like Guendouzi would surely be very handy to shore up the latter group.

I would completely agree with you there Decaf.

Post #552953  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:31 pm 

The extension of the adidas kit deal has also increased the money Arsenal get from £60m a year to £75m a year. Deal runs until the end of the 2029/30 season.

I think from what I can find that is the equal highest manufacturer deal alongside Man U and adidas at £75m a season

Post #552954  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich, Kane had a very poor first half of last season.

You say they have to win things. Are you saying they do but we don’t? If so isn’t that using different criteria to measure success for alternative clubs at the same sort of level?

Yes I think we have to win things now to have a successful season. We could finish runners up in the league and have no trophy and I'll feel like huge progress has been made and a big goal of getting back in the CL will have been achieved but I want us to win trophies - particularly the Europa League this season.
Spurs should be treated no differently, and winning trophies for them has to be what is deemed a success because they haven't won one for 13 odd years is it now.

Ultimately top 4 is only such a goal and driver for the big 6 for 2 reasons, 1) to compete in the biggest competition and have a chance of winning it 2) to earn huge money from that competition to enable greater squad strengthening with a goal to winning something. Ultimately it all comes down to tangible success being winning something.

I suppose to bring it back to the original point of whether what Spurs are doing is sustainable you have to agree how long we're measuring it for and whether 'sustainable' means standing still (ie: continually getting 4th place for them), or whether using that terms in football sense it means pushing on and winning something.

Post #552955  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
I suppose to bring it back to the original point of whether what Spurs are doing is sustainable you have to agree how long we're measuring it for and whether 'sustainable' means standing still (ie: continually getting 4th place for them), or whether using that terms in football sense it means pushing on and winning something.

I guess we’re using the word a little differently. For me sustain means continuing what you’ve been doing. As you point out, it’s been a fair while since Tottenham have actually won anything. So for me getting into next year’s Champions League would count as sustainability for them. Winning something would represent improvement for them more than sustaining themselves.

As an Arsenal fan I would agree we should be aiming to win trophies. Although we have won something more recently than them (2020), that’s why I’m looking to win something rather than get back into the Champions League. I think Hazuki made a good point recently. Although I think we’re a bit light up front with only Jesus and Nketiah and our back up keeper looking a bit dodgy, I think our team and squad is easily good enough to get in the top four.

Finishing fourth would possibly leave me feeling a little underwhelmed. I was possibly alone in thinking our squad was good enough last season to get in the top four, so I certainly think we are this season. Hence I’m looking to win something as well as getting a top four place. That’s improvement I’m hoping for.

Post #552956  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
The extension of the adidas kit deal has also increased the money Arsenal get from £60m a year to £75m a year. Deal runs until the end of the 2029/30 season.

I think from what I can find that is the equal highest manufacturer deal alongside Man U and adidas at £75m a season

£75m is a good deal now. But if we’re still going to be getting £75m in 2029/30. £75m is unlikely to look such a good amount in seven years.

Post #552957  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:06 pm 

Apparently according to his personal opinion, Bodo-Glimt manager Knudsen, has Arsenal sussed out. He watched carefully the Zurich and Spurs matches, feels he now knows how to handle the Arsenal set up.
Well, nothing new here. Would expect most coaches/managers have some knowledge of their opponents strategies prior to any comp they have against them. Would expect same from Arteta.
:angel9:

Post #552958  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:42 am 

Arteta has been doing his homework with a bit of help from Øde.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/05/mikel-ar ... -17510640/

Post #552959  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

£75m is a good deal now. But if we’re still going to be getting £75m in 2029/30. £75m is unlikely to look such a good amount in seven years.

Our original adidas deal ran until 2024 so we’ve negotiated that one up a season and a half early.
Currently City earn £65m a season, Liverpool and Chelsea £60m and Spurs £30m from their kit deal.

Post #552960  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:21 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Our original adidas deal ran until 2024 so we’ve negotiated that one up a season and a half early.
Currently City earn £65m a season, Liverpool and Chelsea £60m and Spurs £30m from their kit deal.

Sure I get all that. But by it being such a long term deal, in seven years time with football inflation how much is £75m going to be worth? Nothing remotely like what it’s worth now I reckon.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13821, 13822, 13823, 13824, 13825, 13826, 13827 ... 14269  Next