Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests

Post #552881  Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:13 pm 

Zed wrote:
That 9-0 drubbing Aug 27 by Liverpool over Bournemouth was a killer.

Especially for Scott Parker’s employment prospects.

Post #552882  Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:35 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We missed out on champions league football by 2 points and some goals last year. We need teams around us to drop points. For motivational reasons I understand why people want us toe to toe with city to enhance our mentality but the fact is we won’t win the league and getting back in the champions league would be huge for us. They are a machine and at some point our injuries will hit. For them it doesn’t matter.

The fact it’s even being discussed as testament to our superb performance so far this year.

Logically you are perfectly right.

But this is football. :laughing7:

It just seems over the top to write off the league as already won by City on the 2nd of October, after 8 games. There are still 30 to be played by most clubs, and 31 for the others. It is not a ‘fact’ that Arsenal cannot win the league. Unlikely, I can except. But impossible because it’s a ‘fact’ we can’t? No chance.

As Rich has said, numerically City don’t have the biggest squad. Their players can get injured just as much as ours.

The one thing that will guarantee Arsenal not winning it is just giving up any hope that we can do. That will undermine our chances just as much as City’s qualities. Moreover, it could arguably damage our chances of getting a top four place if it puts us into a negative mind set of not being good enough to aim for the very top.

Post #552883  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:27 am 

Seeing Conte give up the game in the 71st minute with all his defensive subs was quite lovely. It made me wonder if there is another thing we’re able to add to our game now - mental intimidation. Remember how teams felt already beaten when they lined up against the invincibles in the tunnel - see how many teams effectively go for damage limitation v City or previously Liverpool, especially if they go behind early. Might we start to feel a similar fear factor benefit in some games?

Post #552884  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:41 am 

Ash wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Yes, it was very noticeable how Saka and Martinelli were doubled up on and how it gave space to the likes of Ødegaard, Partey, Xhaka and Ben White.

NLD are only great when you win them and boy did yesterday's result feel good, especially playing an exciting expansive brand of football. Our pace and intensity was frightening.

If I have one gripe its that we were a little bit too open at the back and Tottenham had several situations in the first half where a better final ball from the likes of Son and Richarlison and Spuds were in on goal. Some of the final balls that went astray were not even difficult and on another day they could easily have gone in at halftime leading against the run of play. Our instinct is to throw men forward but maybe a little tweak is needed against some teams just to close down that vulnerability to a quick counter-attack.

Morning Soc,

This video although fairly long (9mins) is good, giving a take on what our plan was to counter the counter. Basically by squeezing up on purpose and smothering the ball if it goes loose, meaning they can’t play those balls. Problem is there so much space a first time lumped clearance - very hard to stop - basically can become a killer ball over the top.

Saliba being the deepest player seems to be our insurance as he has pace strength and composure. Ramsdale on the sweeper would be the other but he didn’t seem to venture outside his box very often.

I agree the balance didn’t seem quite right, but it worked and I think they snatched at those passes because they had so few of them.

You didn't mention Ramsfale standing closer to the centre spot? Is this wise, won't someone one day just lob the ball over him or is it a risk worth taking,

Post #552885  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:29 am 

I find it hilarious after another embarrassing defeat for Man U that so many ex Man U players turned pundits come out with the 'I'm shocked' line. There should be nothing shocking about it, it is borderline arrogance to say that and I think it has been Man U's problem as a club for ages.
They need a re-set, a complet overhaul and they still just do the same thing every transfer window. We're Man U and we can go and spend £60m on a 5 times Champions League Winner, 30 year old Casemiro. Eriksen on a free.....Varane, Ronaldo, Anthony £80m! It is lazy and shows no thought towards proper squad building.

Post #552886  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
I don't see anyone getting near City if Haaland stays fit. He's the missing ingredient in an already very tasty recipe.

Of course if City were to suffer a calamitous injury crisis things could change but with two top players (at least) for every position they are probably the least likely team in the PL to be exposed by injuries.

Who’s to say he won’t get injured? He’s made of flesh and blood like everyone else.

I'm not so sure of that. Looks more like a mobile slab of granite.

Post #552887  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:41 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Ash wrote:

Morning Soc,

This video although fairly long (9mins) is good, giving a take on what our plan was to counter the counter. Basically by squeezing up on purpose and smothering the ball if it goes loose, meaning they can’t play those balls. Problem is there so much space a first time lumped clearance - very hard to stop - basically can become a killer ball over the top.

Saliba being the deepest player seems to be our insurance as he has pace strength and composure. Ramsdale on the sweeper would be the other but he didn’t seem to venture outside his box very often.

I agree the balance didn’t seem quite right, but it worked and I think they snatched at those passes because they had so few of them.

You didn't mention Ramsfale standing closer to the centre spot? Is this wise, won't someone one day just lob the ball over him or is it a risk worth taking,

Someone will catch us out with a long ball from time to time, including that embarrassing goal from 60 yards. Similarly, a team that manages to pass through the press will have counterattacking options.

It is still worth it, however. As someone mentioned, the sheer intimidation value of pegging the opposition in their own half, is a major factor.

Post #552888  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:55 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Who’s to say he won’t get injured? He’s made of flesh and blood like everyone else.

However he looks he is flesh and blood. According to the site linked he’s missed 36 games because of injury since and including the 2018/19 season. Only 3 of the 36 were 2018/19. So in the last three full seasons he missed 33.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/erling- ... ler/418560

Post #552889  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

However he looks he is flesh and blood. According to the site linked he’s missed 36 games because of injury since and including the 2018/19 season. Only 3 of the 36 were 2018/19. So in the last three full seasons he missed 33.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/erling- ... ler/418560

Yes, you are right. And City do suffer when they don't have a proper striker and mess around with false nines.

Post #552890  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:18 am 

Oh dear oh dear. We’re not going to get much of a fee if this continues.

When Nicolas Pépé left Arsenal in the summer to join Nice on loan, the move was something of an admittance from the club that their record signing simply had not worked out. Mikel Arteta preferred the young Bukayo Saka over the Ivorian and rarely gave Pépé too many chances to prove him wrong.

The move back to Ligue 1 was expected to provide the Arsenal wantaway with an opportunity to revive the form he showed at Lille that earned him the infamous £72million move. However, since making the switch to France, things have not gone smoothly.

He has so far scored just once in eight matches, his sole goal coming from the penalty spot too. Further to this he has no assists and has been outshone by the likes of Ross Barkley.

In fact, in Nice’s last game, Pépé was dropped for the match with Paris Saint-Germain. Instead, Barkley was chosen in place of the Arsenal loanee.

Nice manager Lucien Favre criticised Pépé after his debut, highlighting a lack of commitment in terms of his pressing and ball recovery. "He hasn’t played for a long time in England. He has done the pre-season with Arsenal, but he hasn’t played any matches," the manager said.

"He is lacking a bit of rhythm, intensity in his placements, in his pressing as well and in his ball recovery, because everyone has to do that. There aren’t any exceptions. "If one or two players don’t do the work, the whole team is in trouble. Everyone has to do it at the same time, everyone has to defend to recover the ball.

"We’ve already discussed this (internally). Tiredness was there, we had extra time (during the Conference League qualification play-offs), there are players who ran 17km, I understand (their fatigue). But we cannot put that as an explanation for tiredness."

Since this, the performances have not particularly improved which has seemingly led to the drop against PSG. In the recent win over Ajaccio, Barkley was brought off the bench late on and contributed more than Pépé had despite starting the clash.

Whilst this might be vindicating Mikel Arteta’s decision to move Pépé on, even if temporarily, it is not exactly helping Arsenal. The Gunners will want to get a good fee for Pépé next summer but with just one year left on his contract, a strong loan would have helped maximise potential value.

Post #552891  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:23 am 

Continued and lazy inaccurate journalism.
The metro this morning '....the visitors outplayed for long periods and undone by Emerson Royal's dismissal...the score was level at that stage'
And 'with saturday's derby finely poised conte fumed at the decision to dismiss royal'
We were *%^@*** winning when their player got sent off.
What *%^@*** game is that so called journalist watching. infuriates me that these people actually earn a living from writing this *%^@!!

Post #552892  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 am 

long time gooner wrote:

When Nicolas Pépé left Arsenal in the summer to join Nice on loan, the move was something of an admittance from the club that their record signing simply had not worked out. Mikel Arteta preferred the young Bukayo Saka over the Ivorian and rarely gave Pépé too many chances to prove him wrong.

The move back to Ligue 1 was expected to provide the Arsenal wantaway with an opportunity to revive the form he showed at Lille that earned him the infamous £72million move. However, since making the switch to France, things have not gone smoothly.

He has so far scored just once in eight matches, his sole goal coming from the penalty spot too. Further to this he has no assists and has been outshone by the likes of Ross Barkley.

In fact, in Nice’s last game, Pépé was dropped for the match with Paris Saint-Germain. Instead, Barkley was chosen in place of the Arsenal loanee.

Nice manager Lucien Favre criticised Pépé after his debut, highlighting a lack of commitment in terms of his pressing and ball recovery. "He hasn’t played for a long time in England. He has done the pre-season with Arsenal, but he hasn’t played any matches," the manager said.

"He is lacking a bit of rhythm, intensity in his placements, in his pressing as well and in his ball recovery, because everyone has to do that. There aren’t any exceptions. "If one or two players don’t do the work, the whole team is in trouble. Everyone has to do it at the same time, everyone has to defend to recover the ball.

"We’ve already discussed this (internally). Tiredness was there, we had extra time (during the Conference League qualification play-offs), there are players who ran 17km, I understand (their fatigue). But we cannot put that as an explanation for tiredness."

Since this, the performances have not particularly improved which has seemingly led to the drop against PSG. In the recent win over Ajaccio, Barkley was brought off the bench late on and contributed more than Pépé had despite starting the clash.

Whilst this might be vindicating Mikel Arteta’s decision to move Pépé on, even if temporarily, it is not exactly helping Arsenal. The Gunners will want to get a good fee for Pépé next summer but with just one year left on his contract, a strong loan would have helped maximise potential value.

Pépé lazy? Well colour me surprised.

Post #552893  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am 

Am I the only one that thinks almost everybody seems to assume that Just having Conte as your manager will guarantee instant success. The narrative seems that he’s clearly far superior to anyone bar Pep and maybe Klopp. When Son was brought on in their recent win against Leicester and he scored a hatrick is was presumed a master class of coaching, I thought he was just sent on late in the game to get some game time in. The spurs fans think he’s their ace in the hole and fully expected him to out think Arteta in the NDL and Graham Souness said recently that Spurs are definitely not spursy any more but where is the evidence of that?

I get that he has been a serial winner but has he ever coached a team to success that wasn’t really expected to win anything?

At least we know that Arteta has!!!

Post #552894  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:

This bit…

"If one or two players don’t do the work, the whole team is in trouble. Everyone has to do it at the same time, everyone has to defend to recover the Ball”

This is literally why arteta wouldn’t risk him unless we were totally desperate. I honestly wonder if we will be able to offload him. You simply can’t start him in the premier league because of this meaning our 72 million pound signing can only be started against europa league and carabao sides. A bonafide disaster

Post #552895  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:48 am 

I don't see any problem with Arsenal fans talking about challenging for the title - we're top of the leage, and we're there on merit, having dominated the game in all our seven wins so far. Even in our only loss we weren't exactly outplayed and could've very well have won it if it wasn't for some naivete in the way we attacked Man Utd.

Man City are obviously heavy favorites, if you look at the team they have and how consistently great they've been under Guardiola, and it's a long way to go until May etc. Injuries might hit us and see us fall away from the top, but what's to say injuries won't hit City as well? If De Bruyne and Haaland would miss significant time, they're all of a sudden a much less scary prospect, and neither of them has a stellar injury record. Haaland has never played 30 league games in a season.

With Liverpool struggling to start the season, there's a decent chance to move up in the table. I still think City will win it in the end, but we're at least getting to a point where second place seems like a real possibility. In fact, I'd be disappointed if we only ended up in 4th place now because even if Liverpool find their way back to their world class form we're at the very worst the 3rd best team in the league and I'd put some distance between us and whoever you think is 4th best.

Post #552896  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:26 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I don't see any problem with Arsenal fans talking about challenging for the title - we're top of the leage, and we're there on merit, having dominated the game in all our seven wins so far. Even in our only loss we weren't exactly outplayed and could've very well have won it if it wasn't for some naivete in the way we attacked Man Utd.

Man City are obviously heavy favorites, if you look at the team they have and how consistently great they've been under Guardiola, and it's a long way to go until May etc. Injuries might hit us and see us fall away from the top, but what's to say injuries won't hit City as well? If De Bruyne and Haaland would miss significant time, they're all of a sudden a much less scary prospect, and neither of them has a stellar injury record. Haaland has never played 30 league games in a season.
ar
With Liverpool struggling to start the season, there's a decent chance to move up in the table. I still think City will win it in the end, but we're at least getting to a point where second place seems like a real possibility. In fact, I'd be disappointed if we only ended up in 4th place now because even if Liverpool find their way back to their world class form we're at the very worst the 3rd best team in the league and I'd put some distance between us and whoever you think is 4th best.

Morning Haz
I'm enjoying the ride at the moment and am loving the way we are starting games and on it from the off.
I cant get used to the talk of title challengers and would be happy with top 4.
Just sort of feels like we are not ready for a title challenge.
However the unmistakable fact is if we beat Liverpool we will be 14 points clear of them.
Lets just keep on as we are going and get ourselves into a strong position that 4th is more or less guaranteed then go from there.
Partey is absoloutely key to any thing we do.

Post #552897  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:30 am 

Tim Lewis has resigned from his role as a partner with Clifford Chance in order to focus on his work as an Arsenal board member.

Post #552898  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:39 am 

david.d wrote:

I agree that we're probably not ready yet, but my counter to that argument would be that people said the same about Liverpool in 2018. In the 17/18 season they got 4th place, 25 points behind Man City. In 18/19 they exploded, getting 97 points and finishing 2nd place just one point behind City. We definitely look like we've hit another level this season compared to last year.

With regards to being happy with top 4, the reason I say I'd be disappointed with 4th place is because it would mean at least one team who I believe aren't as good as us will finish ahead of us. City are clearly better than Arsenal, no shame in admitting that. And we shouldn't completely rule out Liverpool, they have started the season poorly, but they've gotten 90+ points in three of the last four seasons. We should definitely finish ahead of Chelsea, Tottenham and Man Utd though. In my view we're just a much more complete team, and we play in a way that I think is more profitable in the long term.

Post #552899  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:40 am 

david.d wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

ar

Morning Haz
I'm enjoying the ride at the moment and am loving the way we are starting games and on it from the off.
However the unmistakable fact is if we beat Liverpool we will be 14 points clear of them.
Lets just keep on as we are going and get ourselves into a strong position that 4th is more or less guaranteed then go from there.

I think the most enjoyable part is this all feels very sustainable. The structure of the side is key here. New signings are integrated seamlessly, all the players know their role and we set up to dominate games from the start. The intensity to win the ball and swarm the opposition is now so ingrained that it becomes easier for every player to buy in to it. The fact that we're doing this with the youngest squad in the league is another reason for its longevity.
The plan has become more clear every day since the day Arteta joined with his 'non negotiables' and in reality Arteta and others at the top haven't wavered from it. When the plan bears fruit in what we see on the pitch the fans get behind it and the support for the team in the stadium has been the best I've seen for goodness knows how long.

Exciting times to be an Arsenal fan

Post #552900  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 am 

Seems chelsea have signed Nkunku. Good player and one that Emery wanted if you recall.

My goodness they are chucking money around.

I do wonder what would have happened had Emery been given the players he asked for? He wanted zaha, nkunku and Nzonzi didn’t he, he got Pépé, Ceballos and Torreira

Think the bloke got let down a bit.

Post #552901  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:50 am 

Paul Scholes on social media today
"anyone remember a time when wingers helped their full backs?" with a picture of Giggs and Beckham.

I love the ex-Man U players with their knives out for anything Man U. Of course the old successful players are going to expect high standards but there is a continued arrogance of anybody connected to Man U that they simply expect the success because they had it in the past, and they also think because they can spend huge amounts of money that should equal quality which should equal success.

Man U experts in the media should be professing humility and patience. ten Hag has shown he can set teams up well and get more than the sum of the parts from them. They need to let him make some very tough decisions without putting them under the microscope. ten Hag himself obviously needs to find a way to win over the support be that winning matches or simply showing that he can change attitudes and style on the pitch.

Post #552902  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Seems chelsea have signed Nkunku. Good player and one that Emery wanted if you recall.

My goodness they are chucking money around.

I do wonder what would have happened had Emery been given the players he asked for? He wanted zaha, nkunku and Nzonzi didn’t he, he got Pépé, Ceballos and Torreira

Think the bloke got let down a bit.

I think you're right. There was a bit of a mess of roles, we had Sven scouting players, Sanllehi wheeling and dealing and Emery was effectively told to just do training and matches.
Football has certainly moved on from the one man show the likes of Wenger and Ferguson employed but there has to be a clear strategic approach and clearly defined roles and responsibility that all those at the top buy in to. Personally I can't see any way a team works where the manager has had no say in player recruitment.

In modern times surely the process is:
Manager sets out his team and tactics and advises his sporting director the sort of player he wants and how he fits in the team - listing as many attributes as possible to refine the search.
The scouting/sporting director then come up with a list of players fitting that mould.
Then as a team they work through that list looking at potential cost, wages, mentality, fit, personality and all come to an agreement together of the priority order to chase.

Post #552903  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Paul Scholes on social media today
"anyone remember a time when wingers helped their full backs?" with a picture of Giggs and Beckham.

I love the ex-Man U players with their knives out for anything Man U. Of course the old successful players are going to expect high standards but there is a continued arrogance of anybody connected to Man U that they simply expect the success because they had it in the past, and they also think because they can spend huge amounts of money that should equal quality which should equal success.

Man U experts in the media should be professing humility and patience. ten Hag has shown he can set teams up well and get more than the sum of the parts from them. They need to let him make some very tough decisions without putting them under the microscope. ten Hag himself obviously needs to find a way to win over the support be that winning matches or simply showing that he can change attitudes and style on the pitch.

The ronaldo stuff is funny. The manager is quite right to drop him but Ten Haag is damned if he does or doesn’t. Roy Keane was slagging them off for not playing or selling him.

Post #552904  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:29 am 

david.d wrote:
Morning Haz

Wow. That bit about if we beat Liverpool made me sit up. That’s a hell of a statistic.

And we shouldn’t go into that game with any sort of inferiority complex whatsoever.

Post #552905  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
This bit…

"If one or two players don’t do the work, the whole team is in trouble. Everyone has to do it at the same time, everyone has to defend to recover the Ball”

This is literally why arteta wouldn’t risk him unless we were totally desperate. I honestly wonder if we will be able to offload him. You simply can’t start him in the premier league because of this meaning our 72 million pound signing can only be started against europa league and carabao sides. A bonafide disaster

Indeed so.

And then compare and contrast to Florian Balogun at Reims this season. He is definitely making the most of his opportunity.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2022/10/03 ... e-1-reims/

Post #552906  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:31 pm 

Xhaka has scored 16 goals for Arsenal, over 40% of those have been
3 v Man U
2 v Chelsea
1 v Liverpool
1 v Spurs

Post #552907  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:55 pm 

At the pace he's going, Haaland is going to destroy any season long scoring record in the modern era. I just hope he doesn't stay in the league long enough to make people forget Henry as the greatest of them all in the EPL.
I'm hoping Real Madrid or Barcelona will come calling or PSG. The guy is a freak of nature. A one man force.

This is what pundits are saying about Haaland

and

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lqHq6_SM-0c

Post #552908  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:05 pm 

Next batch of Prem fixtures
Liverpool (h)
Leeds (a)
Southampton (a)
Forest (h)
Chelsea (a)
Brighton (h)
Wolves (a)

In any normal season such is the strength of the league and our expectations of Arsenal you'd look at that and think maybe only 1 'easy win' fixture. Right now I see 3 tough fixtures (Liverpool, Chelsea, Brighton) and 4 I expect us to win (Leeds, Saints, Forest, Wolves) - only Wolves from those 4 have anything resembling a decent defensive structure and they've just sacked their manager.

What a message it would send out if we were to beat Liverpool at the weekend and go and do the same to Chelsea. Play at our best with our best 11 and I see no reason why we can't do both of those.

If we could take 17 out of those 21 points I think we'd be in a clear battle with City for the title going in to the world cup break

Post #552909  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:08 pm 

Also, getting way, way ahead of myself here but if the title really did turn in to a 2 horse race between us and City would we expect to be the neutral's favourites or preferred team - cheering us on? I wouldn't bet on it. Most people wanted City to win it instead of Liverpool mostly because of their arrogant fans - I don't doubt many will feel the same about us not just Spurs fans.

Post #552910  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:11 pm 

Seeing Foden score a hat-trick, Saka frightening every left-back in the league, Ben White locking down the right side of the defence - why is it that Southgate persists with such a dull brand of football loyal to those who are at best out of form and at worst simply not very good at all.

I've long since thought as an International manager you need to identify who your best players are and what makes them so great and replicate as much of that in your team as you can - and your relatively simplistic instruction is to 'do what you do every week for your club'

Post #552911  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:16 pm 

If Spurs had beaten us the media would have ploughed in to Arteta and Arsenal on the basis that we knew exactly how Spurs would play and we were naive to set up and play to their strengths. So now that Arsenal thoroughly beat Spurs can we say that Conte was completely naive to play so handsomely in to the hands of Arteta? Everyone knew exactly how Arsenal would play, we'd have a high line, dominate the ball and territory, attack in a 2-3-5 and look for quick short passes and to draw spurs to one side before overloading the other. So Spurs with their passive low block played in to our hands no?

I'm being a bit facetious because the media tend to have to have a winner and loser in every big match up. The reality is usually somewhat more blurred.

Post #552912  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think you're right. There was a bit of a mess of roles, we had Sven scouting players, Sanllehi wheeling and dealing and Emery was effectively told to just do training and matches.
Football has certainly moved on from the one man show the likes of Wenger and Ferguson employed but there has to be a clear strategic approach and clearly defined roles and responsibility that all those at the top buy in to. Personally I can't see any way a team works where the manager has had no say in player recruitment.

In modern times surely the process is:
Manager sets out his team and tactics and advises his sporting director the sort of player he wants and how he fits in the team - listing as many attributes as possible to refine the search.
The scouting/sporting director then come up with a list of players fitting that mould.
Then as a team they work through that list looking at potential cost, wages, mentality, fit, personality and all come to an agreement together of the priority order to chase.

I agree with you Rich but Sanllehi obviously still thinks differently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... stake.html

Post #552913  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:42 pm 

I'm desperate for us to sort out the contracts of Saliba, Saka and Martinelli - potentially 3 £100m players right there.

I had a look around the contracts of the other top 6 clubs and all of the following players are out of contract in June 2023.

Arsenal: Elneny, Nelson
Man U: De gea, Rashford, Shaw, Dalot, Ronaldo, Fred, Jones
Chelsea: Kante, Jorginho, thiago silva
Liverpool: Firminho, Keita, Ox, Milner, Adrian
City: Gundogan, Carson, (Mendy!)
Spurs: lenglet (loan finishes)

Now, some may sign extensions but you can see where the problems are coming up for some teams, they will need to invest heavily in some cases to just stand still.

If you look at players with 18 months left on their deal (the ones clubs should be getting nervous about and trying very hard to tie down or shift) you have

June 2024 contract expiry
Arsenal: Saka, Saliba, Cédric (martinelli, Xhaka, holding all have a club options of a further year)
Man U: Lindelof, Wan-Bissaka, Martial
Chelsea: Mount, Kovacic, Pulisic, Loftus-Cheek, Aubameyang, Azpilicueta
Liverpool: Thiago, Matip
City: Foden, Walker
Spurs: Kane, Dier, Sanchez, Moura, Lloris, Doherty, Perisic, Forster

I find these lists very interesting. More and more players are running down their deals (as wenger predicted) and a lot of these players who these clubs would be happy to not re-sign won't be able to be shifted for decent transfer fees due to their wages - we've suffered this pain already and are mostly out of the other side. Lets see how the others get on

Post #552914  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
So now that Arsenal thoroughly beat Spurs can we say that Conte was completely naive to play so handsomely in to the hands of Arteta? Everyone knew exactly how Arsenal would play, we'd have a high line, dominate the ball and territory, attack in a 2-3-5 and look for quick short passes and to draw spurs to one side before overloading the other. So Spurs with their passive low block played in to our hands no?

The thing with both Tottenham and Man Utd is they are built well for counter attacks, especially Tottenham who only need to lob a half decent ball up to Kane or Son for them to create things. But that's just from an attacking sense. Neither team is great defensively, and still have too many players in key defensive areas that are pretty mediocre. If your gameplan consists of dropping deep, defending and hitting teams on the break you'd prefer to be a lot more stable defensively and I'm still waiting for that penny to drop for the pundits.

Post #552915  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:11 pm 

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1576 ... VHhLogMtyw

Xhaka voted Arsenal player of the month - a message from him to the fans.

He seems so happy and content right now, credit to both him and Arteta for turning it round. He was vilified both inside and particularly outside the club far worse than his actual performances warranted. His mistakes were given far greater scrutiny and emphasis and the things he did well went unnoticed.

He's absolutely thriving in this leadership role with this group of players.

Post #552916  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:21 pm 

Boring Monday at work.....so I was looking at the WC fixtures and came up with the following where we could see AFC players up against each other...

Nov 24 Portugal vs Ghana
Nov 25 England vs USA
Nov 28 Brazil vs Switzerland

Post #552917  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:22 pm 

Interesting interview with Ødegaard where he said they'd practiced in training getting Partey in to those positions because they knew Spurs would allow him that space, or they'd sit deep and close down the other options.
Considering Partey has had something like 56 shots from outside the box without scoring that was some epiphany to make it part of the game plan

Post #552918  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
That 9-0 drubbing Aug 27 by Liverpool over Bournemouth was a killer.

Especially for Scott Parker’s employment prospects.

Also more so since he was sacked from Fulham.

Post #552919  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
Interesting interview with Ødegaard where he said they'd practiced in training getting Partey in to those positions because they knew Spurs would allow him that space, or they'd sit deep and close down the other options.
Considering Partey has had something like 56 shots from outside the box without scoring that was some epiphany to make it part of the game plan

Shots from distance are a much better game pan than usual if Spurs sit that deep. Two of our goals came directly or indirectly from a long(ish) shot. Saka’s was I think in the box but fairly far out and Jesus with the rebound. Can’t see why other clubs can’t do that if Spurs drop deep and either look to score or get a deflection or rebound rather than just lob in crosses to Dier’s head. Hopefully we’ve shown the league a blueprint to get some joy against their park the bus then kick and rush bollocks.

Post #552920  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 pm 

We've been brilliant so far this season, but talk of the title only 8 games in strikes me as very optimistic to say the least. Personally I think City must be long odds on. If Haaland does stay fit, I'd say nailed on. And that's not hero worship, just seeing what's staring us all in the face.
For me, getting back in the CL, and persuading Saliba to put pen to paper would make it a highly satisfactory season. I have no worries about Saka extending, but Saliba's going to have every big club in Europe after him.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13820, 13821, 13822, 13823, 13824, 13825, 13826 ... 14269  Next