Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 91 guests

Post #550561  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:02 pm 

Darren wrote:
I honestly think introducing more female pundits has been so refreshing for the coverage. They understand the game every bit as well as the retired male pros and are there entirely on merit IMO. Gaby Logan is a fabulous anchor and her presentation of the Euros was superb. Alex Scott has become a really confident pundit too.

We've been doing for years. Their usual role is playing topic provider and referee to two opposing views. But some are also very good at analysis. They either made a career in sports journalism or are former athletes themselves.

Post #550562  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:22 pm 

I used the downloaded STs in the wallet on my phone to get into the game on Saturday - largely because I couldn't find the actual STs so I didn't have any option.

Does anyone know if a screen-shot of the ST would work at the turnstile? It would make life much easier if it did.

The ticket's QR code on the phone gets scanned but is there any other electronic wizardry involved? Does the host phone need to 'talk' to the entrance scanner?

Post #550563  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:27 pm 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english ... overturned

Always a good page to follow for any controversial referee decisions.

Note the last one, Mitrovic making two yellow card offences within seconds of each other and wasn;t shown two yellows. At the lesser end of that scale Fofana at the weekend fouled Martinelli for a yellow card and then held on to the ball stopping a quick free kick. By the letters of the law the ref could have given him 2 yellows - most people would say that would be harsh and possibly that the ref would have to 'want' to do that - remind anyone of the Martinelli 2 yellow then red? If the refs had given 2 quick yellows in either of these situations they could have turned to the rule book and justified their decision but these things very rarely happen - except seemingly to Arsenal players....a lot.

Post #550564  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:28 pm 

Chelsea bidding £43m for Anthony Gordon really emphasises their scattergun transfer policy this year.

Post #550565  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm 

Nottingham Forest have signed 15 players at a cost of £106m. This includes two of Huddersfield's best players who they beat in the play off final. That single game is such a sliding doors moment for clubs

Post #550566  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:08 pm 

Rúnarsson will join Alanyaspor on a loan deal valid until June 2023

Post #550567  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
I suppose it's not in the same category as shirt pulling. Even an elbow or hand push to the face many times is not considered by some even to warrant a yellow card, let alone a red. Then again, as seen often, depends on which club is doing the violation.

I also think that Chelsea player deserves a booking for having a hair style like that. He’s a professional footballer not some guitarist from a 1970s hard rock band.

Well Bellarin managed to have his long hair pulled back when he played. Just depends on the player it seems.

Post #550568  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hair pulling isn't new. The December 2018 match at OT, which ended in a 2-2 draw, involved Fellaini pulling Guendouzi's hair as he was accelerating away from him and pulled Guendouzi down. This was all in front ref Andre Marriner at the time. Mariner only gave a free kick and no further action was taken towards Fellaini. Not even a caution.

Two weeks ago during the pre season match between Real Betis-Marseille, Guendouzi had his hair pulled by Mexico captain, Andres Guardado. No punishment given. So nothing new in it.

Not saying it doesn't matter, but apparently some refs don't see it as punishable.

https://youtu.be/a91mrDs6dSE
As pointed out on MOTD this hair pull by Hutu on Fellaini resulted in post match video review and a 3 match ban for Huth for violent conduct. So given plenty of time the PGMOL concluded pulling someone’s hair violently enough to throw their neck back is a red card offence….and then decide a few years later it isn’t.

I would think deliberately pulling a player's neck back whether pulling hair or not would be a red card. As any assault to the face be it a slap, elbow, kicking would be.

Post #550569  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:25 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Apparently Souness said that Aubameyang 'struggled' in the premier league.

His goal record was phenomenal, golden boot once, runner up golden boot once, settled straight away with 10 goals in his first half season. The last few months weren't good but his focus was gone - he certainly didn't struggle.

He may make me eat my words if Chelsea buy him, but I think Aubameyang would be a very high risk signing and I would almost expect him to flop.

Us Arsenal fans know him better than most - on his day he's a wonderful goalscorer, but apart from scoring he doesn't really do much else. He doesn't press well, he's not a hard worker, his hold up play and ability to link up with teammates is quite frankly very poor. He's a finisher and that's it, and sometimes that's fine, I just don't see him working under Tuchel who demands a lot more from his strikers as we've seen with the failure of Lukaku, Werner etc.

Aubameyang struggling with Tuchel ..hmmm. He and Tuchel worked together when Aubameyang was at Dortmund and had a decent relationship. So both should be familiar with each other's expectations.

Post #550570  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Chelsea bidding £43m for Anthony Gordon really emphasises their scattergun transfer policy this year.

So they have bid for, and are hoping to sign, Gordon, De Jong, Fofana and Aubameyang.

That's daft.

Post #550571  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
The language police. They can *%^@ off as far as I'm concerned.

Nobody is referring to this incident and calling him out as a sexist but it would be a daft comment to make once with a female player sat next to you but he then repeated it later!

It is worth observing though that he came across as a clueless prat from the 80s and that generally his comments yesterday were a load of tosh and forgive me for saying this but he might have had a few. It’s not really about the comment being sexist.

Indeed. Being polite is actually quite an old-fashioned idea, and not just one for the toffs. Sexist and racist comments are, apart from anything else, just rude. Not watching your mouth in mixed society, and not caring who you offend, doesn't make you a champion of free speech or of the working class. It makes you an arse.

Post #550572  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:10 pm 

Zed wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
He may make me eat my words if Chelsea buy him, but I think Aubameyang would be a very high risk signing and I would almost expect him to flop.

Us Arsenal fans know him better than most - on his day he's a wonderful goalscorer, but apart from scoring he doesn't really do much else. He doesn't press well, he's not a hard worker, his hold up play and ability to link up with teammates is quite frankly very poor. He's a finisher and that's it, and sometimes that's fine, I just don't see him working under Tuchel who demands a lot more from his strikers as we've seen with the failure of Lukaku, Werner etc.

Aubameyang struggling with Tuchel ..hmmm. He and Tuchel worked together when Aubameyang was at Dortmund and had a decent relationship. So both should be familiar with each other's expectations.

That's a good point, but how hungry is Aubameyang these days. I suspect he'd be good for a couple of months then lose interest.

Post #550573  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:15 pm 

Darren wrote:
And Souness's comment about it being a "man's game" whilst sitting next to Karen Carney was as crass and daft as anything else that went on yesterday.

But he was talking about a man’s game. The Premier League is mens football. And anyway his comment referred to stopping all the show pony fakery that has been prevalent. Refs letting play continue has been a big improvement this season so far.

Post #550574  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Wouldn't it be taken as read that anything that would qualify as assault under the law, and isn't explicitly excluded by the rules of the game (i.e. fair contact when going for the ball) is violent and/or ungentlemanly?

I would have thought so, but who knows? I’ve never read the rules and regulations and have no intention of ever doing so.

However, MOTD2 felt it worth mentioning that hair pulling is not mentioned when violent conduct is defined.

Rule 12 specifically mentions spitting, striking, and kicking. But unless I am mistaken it doesn't specifically mention a whole host of things, like biting someone, poking your opponent in the eye, etc. so I think it is not a valid argument to say only specifically mentioned things count.

Post #550575  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:22 pm 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

So they have bid for, and are hoping to sign, Gordon, De Jong, Fofana and Aubameyang.

That's daft.

Plus they are signing Casadei from inter and have already spent 90 million or something.

Those players you mentioned will easily cost 200 million if they get the deals done. That’s unprecedented spending I think. I can’t recall another team in the league spending 300 million in a summer window

Post #550576  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I would have thought so, but who knows? I’ve never read the rules and regulations and have no intention of ever doing so.

However, MOTD2 felt it worth mentioning that hair pulling is not mentioned when violent conduct is defined.

Rule 12 specifically mentions spitting, striking, and kicking. But unless I am mistaken it doesn't specifically mention a whole host of things, like biting someone, poking your opponent in the eye, etc. so I think it is not a valid argument to say only specifically mentioned things count.

To be fair to MOTD2, they didn’t. The pundits, as I said earlier, called it violent conduct. They simply mentioned that hair pulling wasn’t specifically mentioned in the regulations, which I think was an interesting and reasonable thing to point out.

Post #550577  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

That's daft.

Plus they are signing Casadei from inter and have already spent 90 million or something.

Those players you mentioned will easily cost 200 million if they get the deals done. That’s unprecedented spending I think. I can’t recall another team in the league spending 300 million in a summer window

Be interesting to see how many of the deals they do get over the line. So much transfer gossip is clickbait, after all. The number of different players Arsenal have been linked to this summer is astonishing, and it’s still happening. I’m quite sure clickbait is produced for every big club’s fans, as well as Arsenal and Chelsea.

Post #550578  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:41 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
It's the same here in Sweden. The thing is, being a good pundit seems to have very little to do with how much football experience one has. Sven-Göran Eriksson was a pundit for a while; he's by far the most decorated Swedish manager of all time, having won the league and cup double in three different countries, won the Serie A with Lazio, managed England and so on, and he's one of the worst pundits I've ever seen. Just a mumbling cliché machine. Conversely, some of the best pundits we have weren't anything special at all in their active careers, several of them never played above the Swedish top league.

Living in Philadelphia I get all of my EPL from NBCSPORTS. Rebecca Lowe is a terrific anchor…passionate, articulate and knowledgeable
Although he wasn’t in the very top flight as a player Robbie Mustoe is a very smart and perceptive analyst …all in all I enjoy their coverage a lot
I also like Andy Townsend as a co commentator

Andy,
Rebecca Lowe was a presenter on Setanta Sports after the BBC. She co-hosted Football Matters, Football Conference as well as commenting on the PL. She then moved on to ESPN after Setanta folded, and now at NBS Sports. She's an avid Palace supporter, so no doubt she'll be fist pumping Vieira to a possible win over Liverpool.

Post #550579  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:15 pm 

Zed wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Living in Philadelphia I get all of my EPL from NBCSPORTS. Rebecca Lowe is a terrific anchor…passionate, articulate and knowledgeable
Although he wasn’t in the very top flight as a player Robbie Mustoe is a very smart and perceptive analyst …all in all I enjoy their coverage a lot
I also like Andy Townsend as a co commentator

Andy,
Rebecca Lowe was a presenter on Setanta Sports after the BBC. She co-hosted Football Matters, Football Conference as well as commenting on the PL. She then moved on to ESPN after Setanta folded, and now at NBS Sports. She's an avid Palace supporter, so no doubt she'll be fist pumping Vieira to a possible win over Liverpool.

So will I be Zed!
Thanks for the bio info....didn't realize she was that experienced...I find her good value....got an idea she's married to a pro (or ex-pro) soccer player

Post #550580  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 pm 

The ref Tierney took charge of Liverpool games 6 times between December 2020 and December 2021 the last of these games was the 2-2 v spurs where he had a shocker failing to send off Kane and failing to give Jota a clear penalty. Klopp went on hard on him and Tierney has t reffed Liverpool since then until tonight. Half a season without reffing a game after being quite regular for them.

Have we ever been afforded that curtesy of removing a ref from our fixtures?

Post #550581  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:30 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Zed wrote:
Andy,

So will I be Zed!
Thanks for the bio info....didn't realize she was that experienced...I find her good value....got an idea she's married to a pro (or ex-pro) soccer player

Wikipedia says this about her marriage.

“On 12 June 2013, Lowe married former Torquay United, Luton Town and Cheltenham Town manager Paul Buckle in a private ceremony in Santorini, Greece.“

Post #550582  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm 

Crystal Palace 1-0 up at Anfield. If they manage to get a result here our win against them away will look even better.

Post #550583  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:52 pm 

Anyone looking for a third tier team (now League One, formerly Division Three) to have a soft spot for, might want to consider Fleetwood Town FC. They play in the traditional Arsenal kit of red shirts and white sleeves, and their home ground is named Highbury Stadium.

Post #550584  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:
And Souness's comment about it being a "man's game" whilst sitting next to Karen Carney was as crass and daft as anything else that went on yesterday.

But he was talking about a man’s game. The Premier League is mens football. And anyway his comment referred to stopping all the show pony fakery that has been prevalent. Refs letting play continue has been a big improvement this season so far.

Agreed ... I expect a push for the word MAN to be removed from the dictionary any day now ... far too sexist , racist , bigotted or some handle will be attached to it .
As you say this game and even our game against Leicester ... a mild coming together someone falls theatrically and and .... NO whistle ; play on ..so refreshing

Post #550585  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Crystal Palace 1-0 up at Anfield. If they manage to get a result here our win against them away will look even better.

A Pool loss here would have the added bonus of making them more determined to bury Man U next week

Post #550586  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:17 pm 

Darwin Nunez sent off for Liverpool, they're in big trouble here

Post #550587  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:17 pm 

The nonsense and shithousery in the league is ridiculous

We need to up our game in this :laughing7:

Post #550588  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Anyone looking for a third tier team (now League One, formerly Division Three) to have a soft spot for, might want to consider Fleetwood Town FC. They play in the traditional Arsenal kit of red shirts and white sleeves, and their home ground is named Highbury Stadium.

It’s difficult to have any positive feelings about a club that hired Joey Barton as a manager.

Post #550589  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 pm 

This is getting better Nunez sent off :laughing7: great the misery of other clubs is delicious

Bugger that didn't last long

Post #550590  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:21 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Darwin Nunez sent off for Liverpool, they're in big trouble here

A three match ban presumably.

Shame that the 10 men have just equalised.

Post #550591  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:40 pm 

Eze looks a player for palace. So good on the ball, wonder if Patrick would be willing a swap with Pépé

Post #550592  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Eze looks a player for palace. So good on the ball, wonder if Patrick would be willing a swap with Pépé

Eze was on Arsenal’s books as a youngster. The club released him when he was 13.

Post #550593  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 pm 

Two more dropped points for Liverpool. Draws against Fulham away, a possible relegation candidate, and Crystal Palace at home, who appear an almost archetypal mid-table outfit. I’m happy with that, even though as they haven’t lost yet it won’t stop our friend from across the Atlantic going on about them remaining unbeaten.

Liverpool are already four points behind City (and Arsenal). It’s far too early to feel confident Liverpool won’t win the title. But at least they’ve started slowly.

Post #550594  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm 

Exactly so.

Attachment:

Post #550595  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Zed wrote:

That's a good point, but how hungry is Aubameyang these days. I suspect he'd be good for a couple of months then lose interest.

Aubameyang already playing CL football, so maybe a matter of time if he and/or Xavi have a falling out, so to speak. Thing is, Tuchel probably feels Aubameyang can enhance Chelsea's chances both CL and the league. If he's hungry for trophies, won't matter which club he chooses to either stay or move on to win them.

Post #550596  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
So will I be Zed!

Wikipedia says this about her marriage.

“On 12 June 2013, Lowe married former Torquay United, Luton Town and Cheltenham Town manager Paul Buckle in a private ceremony in Santorini, Greece.“

Yes she was.

Post #550597  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
I suppose it's not in the same category as shirt pulling. Even an elbow or hand push to the face many times is not considered by some even to warrant a yellow card, let alone a red. Then again, as seen often, depends on which club is doing the violation.

I also think that Chelsea player deserves a booking for having a hair style like that. He’s a professional footballer not some guitarist from a 1970s hard rock band.
Yes, he should have one of those Guendouzi cuts...

Post #550598  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Completely agree with your second point about pundits judging players too much by their supposed 'attitude'. It's how Maguire has been able to maintain his reputation for so long, even though he's looked out of his depth at Man Utd from the minute they signed him. They see the 'determination' and think he's a leader, when he's just a very mediocre (by PL top club standards) defender who tries to cover his flaws by shouting a lot.
Maguire's England performances have generally been of a high standard, so he can play. The guy is being slaughtered right now - it will be interesting to see if he can come through it strongly. It is an unforgiving business.

Post #550599  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:45 pm 

Darren wrote:
Do you not think a bit too much was made of his comment? Nobody seems to have considered he might have been making a distinction along boys v men lines, rather than having a go at women playing football!

Post #550600  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:52 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
...I also like Andy Townsend as a co commentator
I always liked Andy Townsend - not too hyperbolic and clearly with a real pro's understanding of the game.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13762, 13763, 13764, 13765, 13766, 13767, 13768 ... 14269  Next