Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 95 guests

Post #550201  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:13 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Attachment:
305C6E89-052D-4FDC-B8A6-543505F1A4F5.jpeg

Star? Really? Good luck to him anyway. Living the dream.

How much did we make from his sell on fee? :42laughter:

Post #550202  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:01 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Attachment:
305C6E89-052D-4FDC-B8A6-543505F1A4F5.jpeg

Star? Really? Good luck to him anyway. Living the dream.

How much did we make from his sell on fee? :42laughter:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #550203  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:35 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Zed wrote:
I would suspect most have heard of Buddy Holly.

Ah ah ah ...not so fast Zed ........ not if you live in the Highlands of Myanmar as Bernard obviously does

Its an interesting hypothesis. I'll scroll through my National Geographics to check if these tribes are known to binge on Get Carter and the Sweeney, and have a strong aversions to pastry and Gilberto 'the fish' Silva.

Post #550204  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:39 am 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Hells Bells let your head go Bernard , you're on fire I want you on my Trivial Pursuit team ... other German cars Messchersmitt , Borgward , Wankel , Opel , Daimler , Goggomobil , Maybach ,

Italian ... Isetta , Alfa Romeo , Lancia

In my spotty youth used to play Top Trumps cards as a craze for a while. Wankel never failed to have us all giggling.

There was a place in Matabeleland called Wankie. Now Hwange. Also this:

https://www.dw.com/en/austrian-village- ... a-55740967

Post #550205  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 pm 

Reminiscing about where we came to the here and now with a formidable back line. Oh the memories.

Remember this guy? Nice enough man I suppose, but shouldn't have been in an Arsenal shirt as long as he was. Good luck to him though. I know I rode him hard (but he needed it and benefited from it. :42laughter: )

Schalke 04
On 1 February 2021, Mustafi joined German side Schalke 04 on a permanent transfer. He was reportedly signed as the replacement for Liverpool-bound Ozan Kabak on a six-month contract. He made his debut five days later in a 0–3 defeat against RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

Levante
On 2 September 2021, Mustafi joined La Liga club Levante on a two-year deal.

Attachments:

Post #550206  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm 

Ornstein reports that Brook Norton-Cuffy has signed a new deal with Arsenal, he only had a year left, likely to go on loan in the Championship. He’s a fantastic talent at Right-back. Good to tie him to a longer deal

Post #550207  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:12 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
david.d wrote:
Nuno has scored for Marseille tonight.
Good for him

A fine goal too (expect the video to be taken down quickly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3zQgFj4os

Nice. Matteo pleased as well.

Post #550208  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 pm 

Ornstein confirms Arsenal still like Tielemans.

https://football-talk.co.uk/173215/davi ... tielemans/

Post #550209  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:18 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rangnick said they needed to sell ten players and buy ten players, and he basically got the sack. The way I see it they are where Arsenal was a few years ago, with a bloated and overpaid squad that needs a huge overhaul. Looking at their transfer dealings thus far in the summer, it doesn't seem like they've realized it though.

Man U now linked with a bid for Rabiot. That is like pouring petrol on the fire.

Man U had a much smaller rebuilding job than Arsenal because whilst there were factors of underperforming high earners which were similar they had a more successful recent team than us and they have a much bigger budget meaning more room for error.

I'll maintain the first step for Man U in their rebuild (and they still haven't taken it yet) is humility. Once they realise they are nowhere near the attraction they were and they realise they can't just sign a few big names and make it back to the top then they can start the rebuild.

How many of that Man U squad would you even take in our squad? Most of them are simply not very good footballers. I think Elneny would start in their midfield no doubt.

Their recent transfers have been woeful, for me it always seems lazy, there is never really a surprise signing for Man U, they mostly seem to buy whoever is the talk of the papers at the time. You could probably go through a list of signings that clubs in 7th-14th have made in the past 2 years and easily come up with a team better than Man U's for half the cost Man U have spent in that time.

Post #550210  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:11 pm 

A few sources in Spain saying Arsenal are in negotiations with Villarreal over Yeremi Pino, 19-year old right winger. No idea about the validity of the sources, but I know he's rated as one of the best young attacking players in Spain. Very interesting if true.

Post #550211  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:28 pm 

david.d wrote:
Still buzzing after Fridays win.
So great to start with a win and nice to see utd lose today.
We hopefully should take care of Leicester so 6 points out of 6 but can't take anything for granted.
Only downside is spurs have wolves who they should beat.
If saliba gets regular games then surely he signs a new contract.
Imperative we keep him.
He looks a monster and only 21.
Big clubs around Europe will definitely be sniffing around and tapping him up but to see Arteta being so positive about him and praising him is fantastic.
We have a jewel that has to be polished and nurtured.
Charm offensive is underway I reckon to get him to sign.
Supposedly we dropped a giant quote on our twitter over what Arteta had said about him after the game.

Really painful having to wait until Saturday for the next game.

Post #550212  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
A few sources in Spain saying Arsenal are in negotiations with Villarreal over Yeremi Pino, 19-year old right winger. No idea about the validity of the sources, but I know he's rated as one of the best young attacking players in Spain. Very interesting if true.

And getable due to the money issues that seem to be there for most Spanish clubs

Post #550213  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm 

Apart from scoring a fine goal last night, Nuno Tavares was also named man of the match and is getting lots of praise for his overall performance. Marseille are playing him as a left wingback with three central defenders, I can understand why he'd work well in a formation like that. Hides his flaws and lets him use his ability to drive forward. He's not a bad player, but I wonder if he'll ever work in a back four.

Post #550214  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 pm 

Posts mentioning that it was Saliba's debut at Friday's CP game.
Guess better than referring to him as a "new signing".

:icon_razz:

Post #550215  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:30 pm 

Torriera has joined Galatasary. I expect Bellerin and Mari to follow him out the door pretty soon.

Post #550216  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:32 pm 

Ødegaard covered more distance than any premier league player at the weekend. Lots of reports were that he had a poor game. At least the workrate doesn't stop so he still offers something even if his passing and touch is off.

Post #550217  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:44 pm 

RIP Olivia Newton-John. Dead at 73.

Attachments:

Post #550218  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 pm 

Zed wrote:

Gosh, that’s a shock. Any idea what she died of?

EDIT: Apparently breast cancer. My wife knew she’d had it.

Post #550219  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ødegaard covered more distance than any premier league player at the weekend. Lots of reports were that he had a poor game. At least the workrate doesn't stop so he still offers something even if his passing and touch is off.

That’s good to hear.

Post #550220  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

It is a shock Bernard. She battled cancer for 30 years apparently. Diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992.

Post #550221  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Rangnick said they needed to sell ten players and buy ten players, and he basically got the sack. The way I see it they are where Arsenal was a few years ago, with a bloated and overpaid squad that needs a huge overhaul. Looking at their transfer dealings thus far in the summer, it doesn't seem like they've realized it though.

Man U now linked with a bid for Rabiot. That is like pouring petrol on the fire.

Man U had a much smaller rebuilding job than Arsenal because whilst there were factors of underperforming high earners which were similar they had a more successful recent team than us and they have a much bigger budget meaning more room for error.

I'll maintain the first step for Man U in their rebuild (and they still haven't taken it yet) is humility. Once they realise they are nowhere near the attraction they were and they realise they can't just sign a few big names and make it back to the top then they can start the rebuild.

How many of that Man U squad would you even take in our squad? Most of them are simply not very good footballers. I think Elneny would start in their midfield no doubt.

Their recent transfers have been woeful, for me it always seems lazy, there is never really a surprise signing for Man U, they mostly seem to buy whoever is the talk of the papers at the time. You could probably go through a list of signings that clubs in 7th-14th have made in the past 2 years and easily come up with a team better than Man U's for half the cost Man U have spent in that time.

Before Fergie, they were in the same position. Ted MacDougal as an example. They never thought about how players fit in. They have returned to this phase. I am convinced that City actually take the piss with them. Alexi as an example - City say they want him and Utd step in and just overspend, Ronaldo - exactly the same. It looks like Utd hear about City rumours and just can't allow the player to go to them. If I was running Utd the person I would want to start the reorganisation is Edu. Get rid of the dross and start the rebuild. I don't think he would be interested but thats the model many clubs will look to for the future.

Post #550222  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

I thought you may know more about this but her father was a Professor in German at Melbourne Uni, but I believe he may have been a spy before that with MI5. Not an unusual path as I know of a number of ex British spies who moved down here with their families, often with name changes but not in this case. I can't confirm this. Her grandfather was a Nobel winning scientist who fled Germany.

She was a big supporter of cancer research. We have lost 2 great singers this week. Olivia and Judith Durham. I have such fond memories of her and John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. I was not a particular disco liker but the songs from that movie and Grease live in my mind just like the songs from the Sound of Music when I was very young. RIP Olivia: one of the greats.

Post #550223  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:59 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Ah ah ah ...not so fast Zed ........ not if you live in the Highlands of Myanmar as Bernard obviously does

Its an interesting hypothesis. I'll scroll through my National Geographics to check if these tribes are known to binge on Get Carter and the Sweeney, and have a strong aversions to pastry and Gilberto 'the fish' Silva.

Gidday Decaf I've got the sneaky suspicion that Bernard googled all those names first , then was deliberately vague to cover the fact he had .

Its an old Karen trick in the Golden Triangle

Post #550224  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Apart from scoring a fine goal last night, Nuno Tavares was also named man of the match and is getting lots of praise for his overall performance. Marseille are playing him as a left wingback with three central defenders, I can understand why he'd work well in a formation like that. Hides his flaws and lets him use his ability to drive forward. He's not a bad player, but I wonder if he'll ever work in a back four.

I like Nuno. He would do well in a left wingback role. Hope Arteta have him back in his plans next season.
Nice, unassuming chap as well.

Post #550225  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Gidday Decaf I've got the sneaky suspicion that Bernard googled all those names first , then was deliberately vague to cover the fact he had .

I absolutely promise I didn’t.

Post #550226  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:03 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I like Nuno. He would do well in a left wingback role. Hope Arteta have him back in his plans next season.
Nice, unassuming chap as well.

I’ve said before that I rate Tavares. There’s a fine player in there. I’m more hopeful he can operate in a back four, which is clearly the system that Arteta prefers. He made some bad errors last season but I would like to think that sort of issue will be overcome with more experience when playing in a back four.

Post #550227  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Okay fair enough ... I'll take your word for it ; staying with the car theme how many past and present makes of British car can you rattle off ....without Googling

Post #550228  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:21 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Okay fair enough ... I'll take your word for it ; staying with the car theme how many past and present makes of British car can you rattle off ....without Googling
Rolls Canardli. Rolls down hill but can hardly get up them...I'll get my coat.

Post #550229  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:27 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Vauxhall, British Leyland, Mini. I’m sure there must be others but I’m struggling to think of any.

EDIT: Lotus who sponsor Norwich. I think Maclaren make road cars too, though I associate them more with Formula 1.

That’s eight. I would have added Daimler but didn’t you say they were German?

Post #550230  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 am 

Don't worry about it Bernard, you certainly know more car brands than I do. I've never owned a car, and I don't really see myself ever doing so. Living in a big city I just feel there's no need for it, public transport gets me wherever I want anyway.

Can we send someone to check up on kiwipete, I fear I just gave him an aneurysm.

Post #550231  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:45 am 

Rich wrote:

Don't know what you mean, I think he sounds like the perfect guy for when you want to bring the locker room together.

Post #550232  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:54 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Don't worry about it Bernard, you certainly know more car brands than I do. I've never owned a car, and I don't really see myself ever doing so. Living in a big city I just feel there's no need for it, public transport gets me wherever I want anyway.

Can we send someone to check up on kiwipete, I fear I just gave him an aneurysm.

As you’re in Sweden, Volvo is the only Swedish car manufacturer that springs to my mind.

Damn, I forgot Range Rover when listing the British ones. I presume they’re the same company as Rover, rather than a different firm with Range stuck in front of the name.

Post #550233  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Vauxhall, British Leyland, Mini. I’m sure there must be others but I’m struggling to think of any.

EDIT: Lotus who sponsor Norwich. I think Maclaren make road cars too, though I associate them more with Formula 1.

Close, Bern.

Rolls Royce is German (BMW)
Bentley is German (VW)
Jaguar is Indian (Tata - now branded Jaguar Land Rover)
Vauxhall is German (Opel)
British Leyland ceased trading in 1986
Mini is German (BMW)
Lotus is Chinese
McLaren is Bahrain

Post #550234  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:17 am 

Do New Zealand make any cars, or indeed have they ever made any cars? I'm no automotive expert but none spring immediately to mind.
Kiwi?

Post #550235  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Do New Zealand make any cars, or indeed have they ever made any cars? I'm no automotive expert but none spring immediately to mind.
Kiwi?

I'm not sure about our near-neighbours, but Australia has always been good at making cars. The 1952 Triumph Mayflower Utility was one of our finest.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44362971@N08/15294826786

Post #550236  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 am 

Haven't been many truly British cars for years but from my youth:

Wolseley, Riley, Singer, Hillman, Humber, Standard, Austin, Morris, Hawker Siddeley, Triumph, Jensen, Jowett - all now defunct brands. I'm sure there are more.

Sad, isn't it?

Post #550237  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 am 

Was there a British car called a ‘Morgan’?

Post #550238  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:43 am 

Bored wrote:

Yes, that’s another. They’re still in business I believe. Think they specialise in cars with an older more classical appearance.

Post #550239  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Close, Bern.

Rolls Royce is German (BMW)
Bentley is German (VW)
Jaguar is Indian (Tata - now branded Jaguar Land Rover)
Vauxhall is German (Opel)
British Leyland ceased trading in 1986
Mini is German (BMW)
Lotus is Chinese
McLaren is Bahrain

Thanks DHD. Didn’t know BMW own Rolls Royce and Volkswagen own Bentley. Lotus is Chinese and Jaguar Indian? Good grief!

Thought BMW might own Mini as the BMW dealer in Enfield that sold me my car also sells Minis from the same site.

Post #550240  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:00 pm 

Bored wrote:

Good call, Bored.

Still being made pretty much as they were 50 years ago, albeit with better engines (by BMW). Hand crafted ash framing on an aluminium chassis. Highly prized and expensive but with a long waiting list if you want one.

Years ago, an old boss of mine had a 3-wheeler Moggy. Sounded like a Spitfire. I was a passenger many time. No weather protection, no seat belts, vague steering and dodgy brakes but it went like *%^@ off the shovel. Used to get spattered with oil so despite looking like Biggles, a flying helmet was de rigeur. I think they still make a version of those too.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13753, 13754, 13755, 13756, 13757, 13758, 13759 ... 14269  Next