Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 90 guests

Post #547601  Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/05/19/arsenal-set-to-make-an-attempt-to-sign-french-star-on-a-free-transfer/

Anyone seen this guy play? I knew he was sought after as he's young and on a free transfer but I've not seen him play

Rich,
Marseille play Strassbourg Saturday. I usually watch the Marseille games anyway. Saliba, Guendouzi play. I've heard of Boubacar Kamara before only since watching Marseille. He does well. Whether or not he'll be in their lineup Sat. is another thing.

Post #547602  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:58 am 

Zed wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/05/19/arsenal-set-to-make-an-attempt-to-sign-french-star-on-a-free-transfer/

Anyone seen this guy play? I knew he was sought after as he's young and on a free transfer but I've not seen him play

Rich,
Marseille play Strassbourg Saturday. I usually watch the Marseille games anyway. Saliba, Guendouzi play. I've heard of Boubacar Kamara before only since watching Marseille. He does well. Whether or not he'll be in their lineup Sat. is another thing.

The free transfer players are always potential boom or bust. They command high wages so can be difficult to move on if it doesn’t work but if you get a good one you can obviously commit much more money to key positions.

Arsenal are in this dilemma. We maybe need 6 signings and maybe have £150m again like last year. So do you go with roughly £25m per player or do you commit £100m to solving to key positions and hope for bargains in other areas?

I think this is why we might shop in the ‘1 year left on the deal’ players, as I think you can pick them up for half of their market value.

Post #547603  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:
Rich,

The free transfer players are always potential boom or bust. They command high wages so can be difficult to move on if it doesn’t work but if you get a good one you can obviously commit much more money to key positions.

Arsenal are in this dilemma. We maybe need 6 signings and maybe have £150m again like last year. So do you go with roughly £25m per player or do you commit £100m to solving to key positions and hope for bargains in other areas?

I think this is why we might shop in the ‘1 year left on the deal’ players, as I think you can pick them up for half of their market value.

It seems to me that one of our problems is that we are one of the clubs for whom the price tag seems to go up when we express an interest. We are seen, rightly or not, as a rich Premiership club who can ‘afford it’.

Post #547604  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:
Rich,

If there are bargains in that segment of the market, why aren't other clubs exploiting it? The only thing I can think of is that the bargaining power of the player is reduced the nearer the end of the contract they are. But you'd only get bargains if there was weak competition on the demand side.

I would agree that it is better to pay a high transfer fee than be saddled with high wages! But wouldn't one be tending toward the high wage low transfer fee combination as the contract enters its final year?

Post #547605  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:51 pm 

And Australia has a new Prime Minister.

Post #547606  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:54 pm 

warrior wrote:

Good thing or bad thing? First time I've ever heard of Anthony Albanese.

Post #547607  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
warrior wrote:

Good thing or bad thing? First time I've ever heard of Anthony Albanese.

We'll have to see. The current government has been in power for nearly a decade.

Post #547608  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:21 pm 

Reuters - Breaking news.

Donald Trump has claimed victory in the Australian election with Arizona and Texas already doing a recount and launching legal action. More soon.

Post #547609  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 pm 

Not certain that anyone knew Stan had recently bought an old unused shopping mall earlier this month for $150m.

https://dailycannon.com/2022/05/stan-kr ... nade-mall/

Post #547610  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:
Rich,

Marquihnos fits that bargain shopping in at £3m.

Post #547611  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:29 pm 

Zed wrote:
Not certain that anyone knew Stan had recently bought an old unused shopping mall earlier this month for $150m.

Perhaps it’s going to be our new stadium.

Post #547612  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:45 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

If it is, I hope they put the stands nearer the pitch this time.

Pleased that Rangers won the Scottish cup, beating Hearts 2-0 in today’s final. Ramsey was on the bench again so didn’t get in their starting eleven. But this time he didn’t even come on as a sub. Boy did we dodge a bullet by not bringing him back.

Post #547613  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Pleased that Rangers won the Scottish cup, beating Hearts 2-0 in today’s final. Ramsey was on the bench again so didn’t get in their starting eleven. But this time he didn’t even come on as a sub. Boy did we dodge a bullet by not bringing him back.

Whilst I will bow to your greater than mine knowledge of all things Arsenal Bernard, not sure I agree with your last sentence.

I played in a relatively successful school team in Shropshire. Our captain got called up for England schoolboys, and the general response was what? How?

But when he was put in a team with better players, it was like WOW! He’s good isn’t he?

Same with Ramsey I think. Better players around him, he plays better. All respect to Rangers, they’re not top class.

Anyway, I’m biased. Cymru am byth!

Post #547614  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:20 pm 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Whilst I will bow to your greater than mine knowledge of all things Arsenal Bernard, not sure I agree with your last sentence.

I played in a relatively successful school team in Shropshire. Our captain got called up for England schoolboys, and the general response was what? How?

But when he was put in a team with better players, it was like WOW! He’s good isn’t he?

Same with Ramsey I think. Better players around him, he plays better. All respect to Rangers, they’re not top class.

The thing is John1, apart from one outstanding season, was he ever that great at Arsenal? Look he scored a couple of cup final winners, scored one of the best Arsenal goals I’ve ever seen (from memory in Turkey or Greece) and was pretty decent. Indeed, I see him as an Arsenal legend.

But week in, week out, I’ve seen far better. Rangers, who I agree aren’t too class, have better players. That’s why he can’t get into their team. It’s all personal opinion, of course. But in my view we dodged a bullet by not bringing him back.

Post #547615  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

The thing is John1, apart from one outstanding season, was he ever that great at Arsenal? Look he scored a couple of cup final winners, scored one of the best Arsenal goals I’ve ever seen (from memory in Turkey or Greece) and was pretty decent. Indeed, I see him as an Arsenal legend.

But week in, week out, I’ve seen far better. Rangers, who I agree aren’t too class, have better players. That’s why he can’t get into their team. It’s all personal opinion, of course. But in my view we dodged a bullet by not bringing him back.

Who knows, as I said, I’m biased. He makes a massive difference to a Wales team that is currently punching far above its weight.

I think he would have had a positive impact, even if he wasn’t first choice. When we let him go, that was a bad choice.

But people who understand football far more than me made the decision not to bring him back, and I respect that.

Post #547616  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:31 pm 

Oh, and I am currently 10 pints in.

Iechyd da pawb!

Post #547617  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:50 pm 

Changing subjects, I was pleased to see Vivianne Miedema extended her contract with Arsenal Women. Her contract was expiring this summer, she hadn’t renewed it, and there were big rumours she’d be moving on to Barcelona (who are losing tonight’s Champions League final to Lyon).

I’d like to see us return to being unarguably the best women’s team in England, and indeed Europe as under Vic Akers we won the women’s Champions League (still the only time an English team have won it). Chelsea have taken over domestically and who knows what priority (money) their new ownership will give to the Chelsea women’s team?

I’m hoping Miedema’s staying is an indication the Kroenke’s have decided to spend money on the women’s team (we improved last season) as well as the men’s team. I was as anti the KSE ownership regime as much as anyone. But I must admit as time moves on the Kroenke’s are impressing me more and more. They are finally spending. Just wish it hadn’t taken Stan ten years to do it.

Post #547618  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Changing subjects, I was pleased to see Vivianne Miedema extended her contract with Arsenal Women. Her contract was expiring this summer, she hadn’t renewed it, and there were big rumours she’d be moving on to Barcelona (who are losing tonight’s Champions League final to Lyon).

I’d like to see us return to being unarguably the best women’s team in England, and indeed Europe as under Vic Akers we won the women’s Champions League (still the only time an English team have won it). Chelsea have taken over domestically and who knows what priority (money) their new ownership will give to the Chelsea women’s team?

I’m hoping Miedema’s staying is an indication the Kroenke’s have decided to spend money on the women’s team (we improved last season) as well as the men’s team. I must admit as time moves on the Kroenke’s are impressing me more and more. They are finally spending. Just wish it hadn’t taken Stan ten years to do it.

Hoping you’re not changing subjects just because I’m 10, not make that 11, pints in, Bern? :1laughter: :1laughter: :1laughter: :1laughter:

Post #547619  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I’m hoping Miedema’s staying is an indication the Kroenke’s have decided to spend money on the women’s team (we improved last season) as well as the men’s team. I must admit as time moves on the Kroenke’s are impressing me more and more. They are finally spending. Just wish it hadn’t taken Stan ten years to do it.

On a more serious note, I think it’s the son, Josh.

Post #547620  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:59 pm 

john1 wrote:
Hoping you’re not changing subjects just because I’m 10, not make that 11, pints in, Bern? :1laughter: :1laughter: :1laughter: :1laughter:

Ten pints? Must admit I do drink beer and lager to be sociable when going to a pub with mates. But it’s not something I enjoy. Much prefer red wine.

Post #547621  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:02 pm 

john1 wrote:
On a more serious note, I think it’s the son, Josh.

I’m sure it’s Josh who persuaded Stan to spend it, so I think you’re right. But at the end of the day it is Stan’s money as he is the sole owner of KSE.

Post #547622  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:09 pm 

[quote="Bernard"]The thing is John1, apart from one outstanding season, was he ever that great at Arsenal? Look he scored a couple of cup final winners, scored one of the best Arsenal goals I’ve ever seen (from memory in Turkey or Greece) and was pretty decent. Indeed, I see him as an Arsenal legend.

But week in, week out, I’ve seen far better. Rangers, who I agree aren’t too class, have better players. That’s why he can’t get into their team. It’s all personal opinion, of course. But in my view we dodged a bullet by not bringing him back.[/quote]
To be fair, Bernard, the current version of Ramsey is nothing like the player we had. He might be only 31 but he has been playing first team football since he was 16/17 and the injuries have really taken their toll. He was a very very good player for us and had he not suffered an injury in the latter half of the season when Leicester won the league, we might well have won it. After Fabregas left, it looked like Ramsey and Wilshire would be our midfield for years. I still remember a game against Man Utd when the two of them were very young but they dominated the midfield. Sadly, injury wrecked Wilshire and considerably damaged Ramsey. I totally agree that returning to us would not be a good move, but he was a fine player for us.

Post #547623  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:17 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

To be fair, Bernard, the current version of Ramsey is nothing like the player we had. He might be only 31 but he has been playing first team football since he was 16/17 and the injuries have really taken their toll. He was a very very good player for us and had he not suffered an injury in the latter half of the season when Leicester won the league, we might well have won it. After Fabregas left, it looked like Ramsey and Wilshire would be our midfield for years. I still remember a game against Man Utd when the two of them were very young but they dominated the midfield. Sadly, injury wrecked Wilshire and considerably damaged Ramsey. I totally agree that returning to us would not be a good move, but he was a fine player for us.

Absolutely. He was a great player for us. To be fair to Bernard, he did say Aaron was an Arsenal legend.

On a separate note, how can I still be typing like this after 11 pints? I’m normally done after 6 these days.

Post #547624  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:32 pm 

john1 wrote:
On a separate note, how can I still be typing like this after 11 pints? I’m normally done after 6 these days.

Paul Gascoigne has eleven pints for breakfast.

What brand of beer/lager have you had, or what mix of beers/lagers?

Post #547625  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Paul Gascoigne has eleven pints for breakfast.

What brand of beer/lager have you had, or what mix of beers/lagers?

it’s 6 Guinness, followed by whatever lager the pub was serving. So no idea basically.

On the way home now.

it’s been a day out in Liverpool city Centre and the theatre; hugely annoying because of the mass of full kit w#nkers on display.

But hey ho, that’s the price I pay in supporting the greatest team in the world.

COYG

Post #547626  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:40 pm 

john1 wrote:

Iechyd da pawb!

10 pints!!! I only ever did that once and that was about half a century ago. And it didn’t go well.

Post #547627  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:46 pm 

Wow. The figures quoted for Mbappe are truly astounding. Something like £100m signing on fee plus about £1m per week plus bonuses.

Financial Fair Play. Yeah right. What is ironic is that La Liga are moaning despite the finances of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Post #547628  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:58 pm 

And at the other end of the spectrum, and far more heartwarming, I’ve been watching an interview with Ade Akinenwa who is now retiring at 40. What a truly great bloke. Respect.

Post #547629  Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
And at the other end of the spectrum, and far more heartwarming, I’ve been watching an interview with Ade Akinenwa who is now retiring at 40. What a truly great bloke. Respect.

Must admit I’d never heard of him. Just looked him up on Wikipedia. Says he came from Islington but supported Liverpool as a kid. That makes him a prat in my books.

Post #547630  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:46 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Utter waste of money. For that sort of dough, we could have got Mesut Özil back.

Post #547631  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:04 am 

End of another season upon us and before I forget.

Warrior, thank you for another great season of caring for the website.
To the moderators - thank you

To Judith and family - thank you for allowing us all to continue to participate in Steve's dream.

To all the other forumites : enjoy the off season.

Post #547632  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:28 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Wow. The figures quoted for Mbappe are truly astounding. Something like £100m signing on fee plus about £1m per week plus bonuses.

Financial Fair Play. Yeah right. What is ironic is that La Liga are moaning despite the finances of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

It sounds nuts. Read this. 127 million pound signing on fee

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61522315

He’s on more than 3 times the salary we had Özil on. That’s just mental. The moaning from Madrid is pathetic really but you have to say the premise of their moaning is justified.

Can we just get these state and oil clubs and put them in their in their own league.

Post #547633  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Must admit I’d never heard of him. Just looked him up on Wikipedia. Says he came from Islington but supported Liverpool as a kid. That makes him a prat in my books.

100%. Why do people do that.

Post #547634  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:01 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

To Judith and family - thank you for allowing us all to continue to participate in Steve's dream.

Attachment:

Post #547635  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:39 am 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Iechyd da pawb!

10 pints!!! I only ever did that once and that was about half a century ago. And it didn’t go well.

Just got up.

As @Arseblog would say - boilk! :20hospitals:

Post #547636  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hear hear. :53big-emoticons:

Post #547637  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:31 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Loud echo from me .............

Thanks Warrior, moderators and all who made this forum fun to participate in

Post #547638  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Completely agree, Gaz.

A big thank you to Warrior and all the moderators who keep us up and running and thank you to Judith and her family for allowing Steve's fantastic legacy to continue. :53big-emoticons:

PS......Warrior may be a lazy, overpaid good for nothing party boy but he's our lazy overpaid good for nothing party boy!

Post #547639  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Ten pints? Must admit I do drink beer and lager to be sociable when going to a pub with mates. But it’s not something I enjoy. Much prefer red wine.

11 pints? I'm amazed that you can still type.

Post #547640  Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:55 am 

long time gooner wrote:

The moaning of Real Madrid is the only good thing about Mbappe staying at PSG. Think it's a bit sad that possibly the best player in the world is going to continue playing his trade in the French league purely because of money.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13688, 13689, 13690, 13691, 13692, 13693, 13694 ... 14269  Next