Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 94 guests

Post #547401  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:02 am 

socrates wrote:
Wow, Xhaka has really thrown thrown the players under the bus with his post match interview.

Xhaka - "If someone isn't ready for this game, stay at home"

I was at home and I still wasn't ready for that.

Post #547402  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:12 am 

Post #547403  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:16 am 

I think it is daft to automatically assume we’ll struggle to get near CL next season on the basis that lots of other teams will improve. Everyone was sure with Man U’s summer buys that they would make this season a genuine 4 way title fight. Lukaku was the missing piece for CL winner Chelsea who would establish them in that title fight.

Newcastle will go crazy this summer but to jump from 13th or so to 4th is going to be very difficult.

As I said before Spurs are £75m down just to stay where they are if they make their 2 loan deals permanent. That is their CL money.
We’re £7m up following the sales of Guendouzi and Mavropanos and the purchase of Turner. We should be able to generate a further £60m from the sales of Torriera, Pépé, Bellerin, AMN, Mari, Nelso, Leno. If the Kronke’s back another £150m (+£60m from sales) spend this summer - which is needed- we would improve hugely. Just sticking most competent premier league strikers in our system improved us hugely - Wilson, Watkins, Ings, Pukki, Toney, Antonio etc I want us aiming better than these guys but they all improve us no end
2 strikers
Wide goal threat
2 central mids
Left back
Right back
That would be my ideal shopping list

Post #547404  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:20 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:
Wow, Xhaka has really thrown thrown the players under the bus with his post match interview.

Xhaka - "If someone isn't ready for this game, stay at home"

I was at home and I still wasn't ready for that.

I think his quotes will get taken out of context, they already have by Neville on sky. If that was a British Man U player Neville would be applauding him for telling some home truths. Xhaka was asked if the young age of the team was to blame for our poor result(s) and he said it doesn’t matter what age you are you have to do what the coach says and play better than that. So far from throwing the young players under the bus as the question was designed for him to do he made it a collective blame.

Post #547405  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:29 am 

When we play badly I’ve noticed Arteta often single out our inability to win duels and second balls. He did it again last night. He’s completely right. We struggled massively

Post #547406  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:04 am 

Now we hope for another twist for 4th.
Norwich play their best game ever to reward their fans, and beat Spurs.
Arteta wakes up the team and we beat Everton.

One can dream but wake up to its reality
:21encouragement:

Post #547407  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:32 am 

Rich wrote:
2 strikers
Wide goal threat
2 central mids
Left back
Right back
That would be my ideal shopping list

Aaron Hickey is on his way to us apparently. Can play either full back position. That would be a decent signing. Along with the young Brazilian too. At least we’re making moves early.

Very, very disappointing last couple of games. Maybe, it’s a good thing in the long term. I don’t feel we’re ready for CL right now. The financial side of missing out is huge but we need to smarten up before we’re ready to take on the big boys on the pitch.

No shame in what we’ve achieved this season, just a very flat ending to what was such fun for large parts. We can analyse to death but bottom line is we’re just a little short right now. Squad is thin and we’ve been derailed by injuries to some main men.

Post #547408  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 am 

Being able to stay fit for nearly all games is underrated. It’s been shown in the many things Messi and Ronaldo are amazing at but also when you look at the best players right now in the prem none of them are injury prone. No knocks, no niggles just constantly fit.

Tierney, Partey and Tomiyasu are all injury prone and it is hurting us. We need 3 players who are at their level in each of the 3 positions.

Post #547409  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:55 am 

Tielemans, Fabian Ruiz, Bissouma all have just one year left on their current deal. All are 25/26 years old. With only a year left you should be able to snap up two of those for a combined £40-50m. If we shop in the ‘contract expiring’ market this summer our money should be able to go a long way

Post #547410  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Tielemans, Fabian Ruiz, Bissouma all have just one year left on their current deal. All are 25/26 years old. With only a year left you should be able to snap up two of those for a combined £40-50m. If we shop in the ‘contract expiring’ market this summer our money should be able to go a long way

After watching that game last night I think we need a Bissouma more than a tielemans. Totally outmuscled and bullied in a game of frenetic pace. We needed to match that and couldn’t.

To be honest we need both but economics won’t allow it. The club needs to make some difficult decisions still, elneny and Lokonga are only good enough for the cup competitions, xhaka games outside of the top 4. We should sell the 3. You want to break into the champions league spots you need better than what we have. We aren’t dynamic in the middle of the pitch. Ødegaard was dropping deeper and deeper because we were not competing there and has been drawn into the criticism.

Look at some of the through balls for their 2 fast wingers our widemen just don’t get service like that.

Post #547411  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:57 am 

The reaction to last nights result has been daft. The media have gone full on crisis rather than reflecting on the progress this year. The youngest and most inexperienced side in the league finished 5th. We shed our underperforming names and improved.

The transfer business this summer will determine if next season is the managers last. If it’s good he might just cling onto his job and bad then he’s finished. What I’ve realised is that he’s probably done anyway as for some reason an element of the online fanbase never give him the benefit of the doubt and it will take time to unseat a city or Liverpool. He won’t get that time.

Post #547412  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am 

Btw if Milan or Marseille offered 40-45 million for saliba id bite their hand off right now and spend the lot on Bissouma.

That part of the pitch needs upgrading and is failing its MOT.

Post #547413  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

After watching that game last night I think we need a Bissouma more than a tielemans. Totally outmuscled and bullied in a game of frenetic pace. We needed to match that and couldn’t.

To be honest we need both but economics won’t allow it. The club needs to make some difficult decisions still, elneny and Lokonga are only good enough for the cup competitions, xhaka games outside of the top 4. We should sell the 3. You want to break into the champions league spots you need better than what we have. We aren’t dynamic in the middle of the pitch. Ødegaard was dropping deeper and deeper because we were not competing there and has been drawn into the criticism.

Look at some of the through balls for their 2 fast wingers our widemen just don’t get service like that.

Nail on the head.

Post #547414  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am 

I believe the Sun is reporting Hickey a done deal for 21mil. At that price he should be a first team player.

Post #547415  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Btw if Milan or Marseille offered 40-45 million for saliba id bite their hand off right now and spend the lot on Bissouma.

Yes, but what if he turns out to be the new VVD, we'll be looking back in 3 years time and regretting the sale big time.

It's a big call but not sure if selling him just yet is the right call.

Post #547416  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes, but what if he turns out to be the new VVD, we'll be looking back in 3 years time and regretting the sale big time.

Undoubtedly it would be a big call.

I think you have to take that risk. We have 2 good centre backs, 1 reasonably competent back up and no midfield when partey is injured.

Midfield is where the games are won. Just bullied there yesterday.

Post #547417  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am 

Massively dissapointing end to the season after undeniable progress overall.
I just hope that the Krankey's (how funny would it be if Arsenal were owned by them) firstly acknowledge the significant improvement of the team, and secondly, that their healthy investment in players last summer has got us to within few points of the Champions League. Surely now is the time to increase their backing to Arteta and Edu financially.

Post #547418  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think you have to take that risk. We have 2 good centre backs, 1 reasonably competent back up and no midfield when partey is injured.

Bissouma is a good call, a physical presence with decent technical ability and PL ready. Would cost £50m and do we have that to spend.

Another problem is that we have too many injury prone players......Tierney, Partey, Tomiyasu. Three of our biggest players not playing in half the games. Going forward that is unsustainable.

Post #547419  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:19 am 

I would really like to see Saliba given a chance at Arsenal given his ceiling seems ridiculously high. If he's not going to sign an extension then we have no choice but to sell him, but given how good he is now and may eventually become, i think we try and hold on to him.

Post #547420  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:21 am 

gooner7 wrote:

Stranger things have happened.

Post #547421  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... n-stumble/

Quote:

Make no mistake, the squad needs to be strengthened. The requisite depth is not there, and the absence of key players through injury has been far more damaging than it would have been if Arteta had more options. How fitting it was that Newcastle’s opening goal started with a foul throw by Nuno Tavares, in for the injured Kieran Tierney, and was then made possible because Joelinton outran Mohamed Elneny, in for the injured Thomas Partey.

Questions will once again be asked about their decision to allow so many players to leave in January, without any new faces brought in. It is also fair to wonder whether Saka, visibly exhausted, has been asked to do too much for a player of his age and experience.

All of these issues need to be addressed by Arteta, although we can be sure he will do so behind closed doors. Not even the Amazon documentary-makers, who have filmed the club this season, will see the real conversations and decisions that will follow this second consecutive defeat.

Arsenal are run by intelligent people, and they know where they are. They knew that it was possible they would finish fifth when they announced Arteta’s new contract a few weeks ago, and these past two results will not shake their faith in the manager.

It will be, however, a source of considerable concern that this group of players lacked the necessary edge at the pivotal moment. This is a new generation, a fresh collection of characters, but on Monday it felt like Arsenal were suffering from the same old problems. Until that changes, they will never return to where they need to be.

Post #547422  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I believe the Sun is reporting Hickey a done deal for 21mil. At that price he should be a first team player.

He’s only 19. Looks a good two footed player but wouldn’t expect him to oust Tierney or Tomiyasu.

We should hope to be playing at least 10-12 more games next season so need the depth.

By the way we only played 4 fewer games than Man U this season for anyone using the ‘no European football’ line

Post #547423  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am 

Gunfire wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Stranger things have happened.

Absolutely no chance. Aren’t they officially the worst premiership team of all time. Honestly don’t do it to yourselves

Post #547424  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:24 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Bissouma is a good call, a physical presence with decent technical ability and PL ready. Would cost £50m and do we have that to spend.

Another problem is that we have too many injury prone players......Tierney, Partey, Tomiyasu. Three of our biggest players not playing in half the games. Going forward that is unsustainable.

Would he cost £50m with only 12 months left on his deal?

Post #547425  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:39 am 

Last night was a must win game and not one player was over a 7 out of 10.

I'd say Tavares and Nketiah at least gave it a go, the rest were well below par and appeared to be overawed by the occasion and the intensity of the opposition.

Post #547426  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:41 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Has he only 12 months left?

Post #547427  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:44 am 

Apparently we've conceded 10 more goals than last season.

Post #547428  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:48 am 

socrates wrote:
Apparently we've conceded 10 more goals than last season.

Our defence is better, considerably though. Bit of a misleading figure. There was a few games like city and spurs where with ten men it went to sea and we shipped too much.

Post #547429  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:48 am 

I think to go out of the top four rave with such a whimper is just unacceptable.

Did we think we only had to turn up last night, or are we just so mentally feeble we can't cope with the pressure or level of expectation of a game like this.

Post #547430  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:51 am 

When you look back on the season there are so may ifs and buts. Losing to Palace, Southampton and Brighton on the bounce felt like a pivotal period. Ultimately cost us 4th.

Post #547431  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:52 am 

Apart from a good transfer window this summer I want to see a bigger emphasis on attacking football next season, more goals and more excitement.

As soon as Saka and Emile Smith Rowe lost a bit of their mojo any excitement disappeared. Tonight we looked like we could play all night without creating any big chances.

Teams know if they can stop Saka half the battle is won.

Post #547432  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:13 am 

socrates wrote:
I think to go out of the top four rave with such a whimper is just unacceptable.

Did we think we only had to turn up last night, or are we just so mentally feeble we can't cope with the pressure or level of expectation of a game like this.

We have been running on empty for weeks. Everyone knows this. It’s not about attitude or mental approach just look at the level of dejection from our players at the final whistle. I think when we summoned the energy to turn over united and Chelsea in a week really it felt like we used all our credits left.

What does affect things though is if your 2 midfield players need 3 touches to control a ball and can’t move it first time. It’s not attitude it was energy and lack of technical ability in certain areas.

I think if Tierney and Partey hadn’t suffered with injuries we would have finished above Chelsea.

Honestly go for a long walk or something today and think it over. No point getting wound up about it

Post #547433  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:15 am 

socrates wrote:
Last night was a must win game and not one player was over a 7 out of 10.

I'd say Tavares and Nketiah at least gave it a go, the rest were well below par and appeared to be overawed by the occasion and the intensity of the opposition.

I felt Xhaka made it a list of three.

Post #547434  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 am 

What will happen today is we will be described as bottlers lacking motivation, hunger and desire. The reality is we lacked quality.

It seems that whenever a team loses people say the other team wanted it more, or the losing team bottles it. Sometimes the other team is just better, it doesn’t mean you weren’t trying hard enough.

We looked tired last night, there was no zip in any of our attacking or defending. It’s not a surprise seeing as we played on Thursday with 10 men and Newcastle had a full weeks rest. Spurs also played without much zip and energy v Burnley and got the win via a dodgy penalty. These things happen and it doesn’t always have to be an assassination of a group of players character and personality

Post #547435  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Has he only 12 months left?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/yves-bi ... ler/410425
According to this which is a pretty reliable website, contract expires in June 2023

Post #547436  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:20 am 

If we spent our entire budget on neves, Bissouma and Jesus and brought in nobody else I’d consider that an awesome summer.

We need power in the middle of the pitch. It’s so obviously being missed.

Post #547437  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:21 am 

socrates wrote:

Except there are occasions when we’ve really risen to the pressure of games, we’ve had more single goal victories than any team this year, that’s a lot of games with a pressure finish. It is a young team without natural leaders, or at least missing some leaders. They’re running on fumes and just couldn’t get over the line. There are still a lot of positives this season

Post #547438  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If we spent our entire budget on neves, Bissouma and Jesus and brought in nobody else I’d consider that an awesome summer.

We’d face the same problems at full back as we have this season. We need quality cover there as well

Post #547439  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:25 am 

Jesus, Abraham, Bissouma, Ruiz, Hickey, Saliba. I reckon that is £180-200m of signings. We should be able to make £60-70m of sales.

That would have us really competing next year.

Post #547440  Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:31 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We’d face the same problems at full back as we have this season. We need quality cover there as well

Yes but not at the expense of that midfield. If we need another season of Tavares and Tommy back up on the left I’d put up with that. Our midfield is ridiculous

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13683, 13684, 13685, 13686, 13687, 13688, 13689 ... 14269  Next