Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #541881  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If he doesn’t it’s a question I’ve asked before. Will Saliba be the most expensive player to have never played a competitive game for his new club? There was that guy, Emiliano Saka, who died in a plane crash shortly after joining Cardiff, but I don’t think he cost £27m.

In comparative prices Clive Allen may be our most expensive player to never play. Paid 1.25 million around 1980. Given what that was worth at the time it was a lot of money.

That’s true. £1.25m back then was probably worth more in the transfer market than £27m when Saliba joined. At least Allen was used to get who I still see as the club’s greatest left back since I’ve been watching them.

I still think ‘greatest of all time’ is a nonsense phrase to use, unless you’ve been watching Arsenal since 1886, and will live until the club no longer exists.

Actually, OMOH and LTG may well be entitled to use the term.

Post #541882  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
In comparative prices Clive Allen may be our most expensive player to never play. Paid 1.25 million around 1980. Given what that was worth at the time it was a lot of money.

That’s true. £1.25m back then was probably worth more in the transfer market than £27m when Saliba joined. At least Allen was used to get who I still see as the club’s greatest left back since I’ve been watching them.

I still think ‘greatest of all time’ is a nonsense phrase to use, unless you’ve been watching Arsenal since 1886, and will live until the club no longer exists.

Yes that was a pretty good player we obtained as a result of the deal. And Allen never really set Division 1 alight.

Post #541883  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 am 

Puzzling just why we invested so much time in this pursuit. Never once did it look plausible.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/28/dusan-vl ... vgr2Xt-koM

Post #541884  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 am 

Keep an eye on the relevance here and watch this space

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/01/14/ast ... nd/544120/

Post #541885  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Puzzling just why we invested so much time in this pursuit. Never once did it look plausible.

I concur with your views.

Post #541886  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

It was a bit odd. Maybe we got flirty signals that made us think he could be persuaded. However, given the need for a CF it does seem a little remiss to have let it play out for so long, especially if it leaves us short of striking options.

It does seem a little mad to let all these squad players go when we are effectively only just half way through the season. A spate of injuries or a covid cases and we could be in big trouble.

Post #541887  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 am 

long time gooner wrote:

"...had been coveted by Arsenal but Vlahovic had little interest in joining the Gunners and has instead signed for a club that can offer a regular diet of Champions League football."

Post #541888  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:21 am 

I enjoy not knowing the score beforehand. Also, hearing names banded about on here but never seen.

Post #541889  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:27 am 

There's a nifty little player named George Best in this game. Not too bad actually.

Post #541890  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 am 

Radford isn't too bad as well.

Post #541891  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 am 

I think its the reverse fixture. Not sure. Yeah, that Radford boy isn't that bad. The referees were helping Man Utd even back then it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkiKgsT3rc&list=TLPQMjkwMTIwMjL8tgqQtBn6gQ&index=2

Post #541892  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:51 am 

Bernard wrote:

:happy11: :happy11: :happy11:

Perfectly constructed, lured them in, devastating.

Post #541893  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’m flattered that you think that I will live until the club no longer exists. Although that is a little worrying for the club.

Possibly more likely if we were Derby County.

Post #541894  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:20 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:happy11: :happy11: :happy11:

Perfectly constructed, lured them in, devastating.
I'll tell you about my conversation with Henry Norris one day...

Post #541895  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:33 am 

Aussie winning tennis Slam - maybe all is not so bad in our crazy world. Oh my Margaret and Evonne from so long ago...

Post #541896  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:19 am 

Another of our players at the ACON. He had quite flown under the radar for me.

https://newsjust24all.com/omar-rekik-in ... jjOKVLYIk4

Post #541897  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:35 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m flattered that you think that I will live until the club no longer exists. Although that is a little worrying for the club.

Well you did get the Victoria Cross at Agincourt, although I suppose it was the Henry V Cross then.

Post #541898  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:43 am 

Were Arsenal v Man Utd & Liverpool, 'always' big matches?

Always meaning before you were born.

Post #541899  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:56 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Did we invest that much effort, though? I posted a couple of weeks ago that I didn't think Vlahovic had the slightest interest in joining us, and if an idiot like me can see it, I suspect the bigwigs at Arsenal did as well. I wouldn't be surprised if approximately 98 per cent of the articles in the last fortnight about this geezer were generated by either Fiorentina or his management team to add zeroes to his transfer fee or wages.

Post #541900  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:03 pm 

Stuck a cheeky 25 quid on Douglas Luiz joining us by Wednesday at 4 to 1

Post #541901  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Derby is actually the second worse place I’ve ever been to in terms of being poverty stricken. Must have been when my dad took me to my first away game there. We definitely went to a 2-2 draw when Charlie George scored both our goals (he later joined them). All the Arsenal fans were saying what an utter dump it was. I have been back to Derby a few times and it’s much improved.

The worse place was the Gorbals in Glasgow. We went to a few family holidays in Scotland and took a trip to Glasgow one time. I asked my dad to take me to see both Ibrox and Parkhead, as Celtic Park often seemed to be called back then. Purely because Rangers and Celtic were such famous clubs. Anyway, whilst in Glasgow my dad took us through the Gorbals, which I think is somewhere between Ibrox and Parkhead. I still remember it to this day, and it must have been sometime during the 1960s.

The Gorbals was so bad it was frightening. I’ve seen Arsenal play at Celtic a couple of times, once in a friendly and once in the Champions League when Eduardo famously got us a penalty. One of those times I went to see the Gorbals again, and it’s nothing like in the 1960s. All the old tenaments knocked down. Let me say I still wouldn’t want to live there. But the Gorbals is nothing remotely like as bad as it used to be. The cab driver who took me there said it was going to be nothing like how I remembered it, and he was right.

Post #541902  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:15 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Did we invest that much effort, though? I posted a couple of weeks ago that I didn't think Vlahovic had the slightest interest in joining us, and if an idiot like me can see it, I suspect the bigwigs at Arsenal did as well. I wouldn't be surprised if approximately 98 per cent of the articles in the last fortnight about this geezer were generated by either Fiorentina or his management team to add zeroes to his transfer fee or wages.

Unless he tried to give the impression he would join us, I suspect you’re right Mcquilkie. Either that or Edu is a complete thicko.

Post #541903  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
The Gorbals was so bad it was frightening. I’ve seen Arsenal play at Celtic a couple of times, once in a friendly and once in the Champions League when Eduardo famously got us a penalty. One of those times I went to see the Gorbals again, and it’s nothing like in the 1960s. All the old tenaments knocked down. Let me say I still wouldn’t want to live there. But the Gorbals is nothing remotely like as bad as it used to be.

Hi Bernard, I'm sure you wouldn't post for no reason, but saying that the Gorbals was so bad it was frightening, and then not adding any further information, is a bit tantalising. As an initial question: in what way was it so bad that it was frightening?

Post #541904  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Unless he tried to give the impression he would join us, I suspect you’re right Mcquilkie. Either that or Edu is a complete thicko.

Good point! And I think we're all hoping that Edu isn't a complete thicko.

Post #541905  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:37 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The Gorbals was so bad it was frightening. I’ve seen Arsenal play at Celtic a couple of times, once in a friendly and once in the Champions League when Eduardo famously got us a penalty. One of those times I went to see the Gorbals again, and it’s nothing like in the 1960s. All the old tenaments knocked down. Let me say I still wouldn’t want to live there. But the Gorbals is nothing remotely like as bad as it used to be.

Hi Bernard, I'm sure you wouldn't post for no reason, but saying that the Gorbals was so bad it was frightening, and then not adding any further information, is a bit tantalising. As an initial question: in what way was it so bad that it was frightening?

The whole place felt threatening. Not only the tenement properties but the people.

Post #541906  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Derby is actually the second worse place I’ve ever been to in terms of being poverty stricken. Must have been when my dad took me to my first away game there. We definitely went to a 2-2 draw when Charlie George scored both our goals (he later joined them). All the Arsenal fans were saying what an utter dump it was. I have been back to Derby a few times and it’s much improved.

The worse place was the Gorbals in Glasgow. We went to a few family holidays in Scotland and took a trip to Glasgow one time. I asked my dad to take me to see both Ibrox and Parkhead, as Celtic Park often seemed to be called back then. Purely because Rangers and Celtic were such famous clubs. Anyway, whilst in Glasgow my dad took us through the Gorbals, which I think is somewhere between Ibrox and Parkhead. I still remember it to this day, and it must have been sometime during the 1960s.

The Gorbals was so bad it was frightening. I’ve seen Arsenal play at Celtic a couple of times, once in a friendly and once in the Champions League when Eduardo famously got us a penalty. One of those times I went to see the Gorbals again, and it’s nothing like in the 1960s. All the old tenaments knocked down. Let me say I still wouldn’t want to live there. But the Gorbals is nothing remotely like as bad as it used to be. The cab driver who took me there said it was going to be nothing like how I remembered it, and he was right.

Moss Side in Manchester wasn’t too clever either in the seventies and eighties.

Post #541907  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:06 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

My comment wasn’t about effort expended, it was about time wasted. Unless of course we don’t need a new striker(s).

Post #541908  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:49 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Very true. But palatial compared to the Gorbals in the sixties.

Post #541909  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Very true. But palatial compared to the Gorbals in the sixties.

I’ve never been to the Gorbals, thankfully. I shudder to think what it must have been like then.

Post #541910  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:10 pm 

Isak :26surprise:

Post #541911  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

What about him?

Post #541912  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What about him?

He’s been spotted in London in Selfridges

Post #541913  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 pm 

Isak £70-75m release clause
Osimhen £70m
Calvert-Lewin £60m
Jonathan David £50m

If those are our striker targets, not one of those becomes cheaper in the summer. Feels like we need two of them come the summer.

Post #541914  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
What about him?

Tenuous or what? Is he signing for Chelsea then?

Post #541915  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:20 pm 

You’d think that they’d have noticed that before buying him wouldn’t you?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... zBA5I_REg4

Post #541916  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
What about him?

Partying in a Soho nightclub with Adnan Januzaj.

Post #541917  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:52 pm 

Barcelona want to take Aubameyang on loan for 6 months, but they have to move Dembele on first. If we get a striker through the door would it be worth offering Barca a loan swap and brining Dembele to us for 6 months!?

Post #541918  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:10 pm 

I’ve thought about some of the value signings the best teams make. Liverpool for example have signed Dias for around £40m which seems a very low price. Other teams might end up paying double that for a winger with Dias goals/assist record etc. The problem is, if these ‘bargain’ players come up then plenty of clubs are probably willing to pay it but the player obviously wants to go to the best teams so naturally they are getting the best bargains of the top players

Post #541919  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Considering Top Gun’s £25 bet on him joining, has Douglas Luiz been spotted in the Finsbury Park Lidl?

Post #541920  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:22 pm 

Why do we keep rejecting offers for Nketiah?
Is it not better to get something now rather than possibly nothing in the summer if he goes abroad.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13545, 13546, 13547, 13548, 13549, 13550, 13551 ... 14269  Next