Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner and 97 guests

Post #541841  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am 

Looks like Traore will move to Barca after turning down Spurs’s £15m bid. And Luis Diaz could go to Liverpool for £52m after Spurs bid £35m for him.
Not to pick on spurs but both players making understandable choices there.
Spurs struggling to move on their deadwood

Post #541842  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:12 am 

Guimares to Newcastle is almost done, it is 42m euros plus a further 8m euros if Newcastle avoid relegation. So a £42m deal. When you have unlimited money and are in Newcastle's position getting a player like this in isn’t a huge deal for them. Almost feels like when City got Robinho. As long as they stay up it doesn't matter if he is a success or not because it does more in terms of legitimises their ambitions and will attract others.

Newcastle will go crazy in the summer if they stay up. It is another 'sigh' moment for football though, how long before Newcastle are permanently in the Champions League places or winning titles? The wealth is like nothing we've seen before, it could be under 5 years

Post #541843  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:16 am 

Rich wrote:
Guimares to Newcastle is almost done, it is 42m euros plus a further 8m euros if Newcastle avoid relegation. So a £42m deal. When you have unlimited money and are in Newcastle's position getting a player like this in isn’t a huge deal for them. Almost feels like when City got Robinho. As long as they stay up it doesn't matter if he is a success or not because it does more in terms of legitimises their ambitions and will attract others.

Newcastle will go crazy in the summer if they stay up. It is another 'sigh' moment for football though, how long before Newcastle are permanently in the Champions League places or winning titles? The wealth is like nothing we've seen before, it could be under 5 years

They used to say the same sort of thing about Arsenal back in our glory days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_England_club

Post #541844  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:23 am 

If Liverpool get Diaz it would be sensible planning. I've long thought Liverpool had an issue coming up in that a lot of their best players including their famous front 3 are all near or over 30 and to let that drift and have to replace them all in a short period of time would be impossible.

But they bought in Jota, 25 who looks easily good enough to eventually replace one of the front 3 and keep Liverpool at title challenging level, and now potentially Dias also 25.

Their next challenge is replacing henderson and milner from their midfield, and I do think they made a mistake not replacing Wijnaldum.

It still won't be easy because if you're not sugar daddy funded you have to have a high hit rate with your transfers, which is exactly what Liverpool have had in the past 4 years or so. Hopefully we can build something similar, we seem to have had a good hit rate this summer and have built around a couple of academy players as well. We're maybe 3 years behind Liverpool when they started on their current path.

Post #541845  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:30 am 

Some reports we might have made a £25m bid for Neves. Highly doubtful, but I suspect Wolves would want at least double that and would be very reluctant to sell mid season when they could probably get exactly the same price at the end of the season

Post #541846  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:25 am 

Rich wrote:

They signed the guy from Burnley purely to disrupt their competition for relegation. Mental. Money without conscience

What’s their odds on a title in the next 5 years ? 8 to 1 Hmmn that might be worth a flutter

Post #541847  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:50 am 

Saw this table in twitter.

There are some obvious mitigating circumstances in there. Also shows the best sales have come from academy players.
T\he glaring ones are probably getting no fee for Ramsey, Wilshere and Welbeck. And then also almost being forced to release certain players for free because of their age and size of wage/contract.

Özil obviously stands out as well

Attachments:

Post #541848  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:51 am 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ar ... y-the-week

Post #541849  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:56 am 

For me there has always been a list of players we should have taken back and I think we didn't because we were petty about how they left. Starting with Anelka....Fabregas...and as painful as it is and I hate him for how and where he left, I'd have taken RvP back after he left Man Utd if he was willing to come off the bench.

We didn't leave on too bad terms with Ramsey. I'd welcome him back. He is dynamic.

Post #541850  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 pm 

Our relationship with Aubameyang is gone. We need to get another great striker. At his best, Aubameyang could have fit in all or at worst, almost any side in the league.

We need antother. I think in time Martinelli can be like that. But until then we need a great striker. Since Henry, we have had Rvp for a season despite coming in, in 2004 (stayed injured), Adebayor (and Nasri scored like a striker out of the midfield), Sanchez, am I missing anyone? And then Aubameyang is the best out right striker we have had for some time.

We need another top striker again. In this day and age we need to spend big money. We rolled the dice on Pépé for 70 mil. It didn't work out but I am not upset. We needed to show ambition with our wallet. I didn't think we would spend that kind of money.

It's time to spend big again. Someone who will have immediate impact.

Post #541851  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:29 pm 

So with the American GK not coming in until the summer I presume that means Leno stays until then also. Then he'll have 1 year left on his deal so we'd probably be lucky to generate much more than £10m for him. At 29 he's still quite young for a GK.

Post #541852  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:32 pm 

Barcelona and Juve have made official approaches to take Aubameyang on loan until the summer.

If we can't get a striker in you'd have to turn it down.

However, if we can and if we want to be rid of Aubameyang permanently in the summer (still 1 year left on his deal at that point) then sending him on loan to a huge european club in the hope he gets some form and entices them to move permanently wouldn't be the worst strategic move

Post #541853  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
So with the American GK not coming in until the summer I presume that means Leno stays until then also. Then he'll have 1 year left on his deal so we'd probably be lucky to generate much more than £10m for him. At 29 he's still quite young for a GK.

He can't come till me (and USA Martin...remember him? ) have vetted him. :58big-emoticons:

Post #541854  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Barcelona and Juve have made official approaches to take Aubameyang on loan until the summer.

However, if we can and if we want to be rid of Aubameyang permanently in the summer (still 1 year left on his deal at that point) then sending him on loan to a huge european club in the hope he gets some form and entices them to move permanently wouldn't be the worst strategic move

Unless they can send someone of quality the other way, its a no. And if its a no, we should use him. Okay, he's out of favor. Lets use him to get 4th. If we aren't brining someone in and we aren't going to sell him, then why risk not getting 4th by not using him?

Post #541855  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saw this table in twitter.

There are some obvious mitigating circumstances in there. Also shows the best sales have come from academy players.
T\he glaring ones are probably getting no fee for Ramsey, Wilshere and Welbeck. And then also almost being forced to release certain players for free because of their age and size of wage/contract.

Özil obviously stands out as well

Slightly misleading. Mkhitaryan wasn’t really free. We swapped him in for a player who cost £31.7m. So I would put that down as another loss.

Post #541856  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:43 pm 

Saliba was named in the French league team of the week for the 8th time this season. If we hadn't already signed him we and many others would be all over him. We need to make sure this goes right when he comes back in the summer.
Every top club in the world is looking for CB who are: Tall, quick, strong, technically excellent, good passers, front foot defenders rather than sliding tackle types and young........ Van Dijk kind of raised the bar here and that is what everyone is now looking for.

Post #541857  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saliba was named in the French league team of the week for the 8th time this season. If we hadn't already signed him we and many others would be all over him. We need to make sure this goes right when he comes back in the summer.
Every top club in the world is looking for CB who are: Tall, quick, strong, technically excellent, good passers, front foot defenders rather than sliding tackle types and young........ Van Dijk kind of raised the bar here and that is what everyone is now looking for.

Can he play up front? :toothy9:

Post #541858  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:06 pm 

'66 Cup final. Everton vs Wednesday. I loved this video for a few reasons. First, its in color. Second, they showed the locker room prior and you can see and feel the nervousness of both sides. The third, is camera angles I haven't seen in prior '60s videos.

I didn't look up the score beforehand. I prefer it that way. It was an exciting game.

Post #541859  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:16 pm 

I never knew just how good Everton was in the '80s. Liverpool and them both very good at the same time must have had that city rocking. I can only imagine. I can also only imagine just how much intracity violence, hooliganism, that probably went on there. I'm guessing at that.

Post #541860  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:39 pm 

Nketiah to Newcastle it seems. We are definitely bringing in a striker.

Post #541861  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I never knew just how good Everton was in the '80s. Liverpool and them both very good at the same time must have had that city rocking. I can only imagine. I can also only imagine just how much intracity violence, hooliganism, that probably went on there. I'm guessing at that.

And just as Everton qualified for the European Cup they found themselves banned as a consequence of the Juventus vs Liverpool disaster.

This later affected Arsenal too of course.

Post #541862  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:44 pm 

Darren wrote:

You’re ahead of the game with that news about Nketiah. Hope that you’re right about incoming but I’m not that optimistic.

Post #541863  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:52 pm 

It’s easier to list the players Newcastle aren’t signing at this point. Utterly crazy

Post #541864  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:54 pm 

Sell them! Sell them all !!!

Post #541865  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

You’re ahead of the game with that news about Nketiah. Hope that you’re right about incoming but I’m not that optimistic.

If Nketiah goes and Aubameyang remains in exile I think that leaves us with just 19 first team players.
GK: Ramsdale, Leno
RB: Tomiyasu, Cédric
LB: Tierney, Tavares
CB: Gabriel, White, Holding
CM: Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny
AM: Ødegaard
LW: Emile Smith Rowe, Martinelli
RW: Saka, Pépé
FW: Lacazette

Feels like we need at least 3-4 players in if this is the state of affairs. Surely at least 2 will come but we've backed ourselves in to a corner a bit so may end up panicking or overpaying. We might have more players on loan that available to pick for the next game!

Post #541866  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If Nketiah goes and Aubameyang remains in exile I think that leaves us with just 19 first team players.
GK: Ramsdale, Leno
RB: Tomiyasu, Cédric
LB: Tierney, Tavares
CB: Gabriel, White, Holding
CM: Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny
AM: Ødegaard
LW: Emile Smith Rowe, Martinelli
RW: Saka, Pépé
FW: Lacazette

Feels like we need at least 3-4 players in if this is the state of affairs. Surely at least 2 will come but we've backed ourselves in to a corner a bit so may end up panicking or overpaying. We might have more players on loan that available to pick for the next game!

Old school, retro football. Small squad, 70 games. When football were played by men and not softies more worried about what side they preferred the cameras to capture and their instagram photos. :53big-emoticons:

Post #541867  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:39 pm 

Total Premier League minutes played, 2021-2022
Ainsley Maitland Niles - 268
Pablo Mari - 180
Cal Chambers - 170
Sead Kolasinac - 91
Eddie Nketiah - 55
Total: 764

Post #541868  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:20 pm 

Reading about the potential deals in this window really highlights the stupid nature of football.

This or that player might leave on a loan without an obligation but first the selling club themselves need to get a new player in on a loan without an obligation to allow the other loan to take place. I mean you wot ! There’s probably more loans than actual transfers, at what point do they say we won’t bother.

They should ban loans to ensure there’s more accountability and ownership from the players and clubs

Post #541869  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Reading about the potential deals in this window really highlights the stupid nature of football.

This or that player might leave on a loan without an obligation but first the selling club themselves need to get a new player in on a loan without an obligation to allow the other loan to take place. I mean you wot ! There’s probably more loans than actual transfers, at what point do they say we won’t bother.

They should ban loans to ensure there’s more accountability and ownership from the players and clubs

FIFA are looking to bring in rules to limit the amount of loans a team can send out. Under 21's are exempt. The original point of loans was for young players to get experience, certainly not for teams to hoard talent and then just loan out the weakest of that very expensive group. I didn't understand the point of a loan with obligation deals when they first started happening but it all seems to be just an accounting trick to manoeuvre about any financial regulations.

Post #541870  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:03 pm 

I also have no doubt agents use Arsenal (and other clubs) names with supposed interest in order to get their clients new deals. Danilo in brazil and Cody Gakpo were both recently linked to Arsenal and both less than 2 weeks later signed new deals with their respective clubs.

Post #541871  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:28 pm 

Rich wrote:

I would let him go even without any signings. Aubameyang can no longer be trusted to give his best. Too professionally immature as a player, let alone as Captain. I can't see him wanting to help Arteta achieve his goal after being publicly dropped.

We should have a new striker by next week.

Post #541872  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:32 pm 

Rich wrote:

I fear we've already lost him. We messed him up after signing him. Don't think he wants to play for Arteta. He made a telling comment when asked about Arsenal. Instead of commenting about his role and/or desire regards Arsenal, he stated he is happy at Marseille.

Post #541873  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:33 pm 

Darren wrote:

Was hoping he would come good, and surprised how poor he is. Good sale if it happens.

Post #541874  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
I also have no doubt agents use Arsenal (and other clubs) names with supposed interest in order to get their clients new deals. Danilo in brazil and Cody Gakpo were both recently linked to Arsenal and both less than 2 weeks later signed new deals with their respective clubs.

Guillem Balagué Was on the radio the other night saying he gets calls from agents asking to talk about their player suggesting clubs are involved to essentially put the player in the shop window.

I guess it’s a trade off so when he needs a story they also comply. You scratch my back

Post #541875  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Darren wrote:

Was hoping he would come good, and surprised how poor he is. Good sale if it happens.

Offer is meant to be £9.5m

Post #541876  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:36 pm 

Agreed G7
I think Sailba has mentally burnt his bridges with us.
Sending him out on loan again was the last straw for him and he must think Arteta doesn't rate him.
He is playing every week for Marseille.
Why on earth would he want to come and be 3rd in the pecking order behind white and Gabriel.
Huge shame we will never see him play for our first team.
He has all the attributes to be a success.

Post #541877  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:18 pm 

david.d wrote:

If he doesn’t it’s a question I’ve asked before. Will Saliba be the most expensive player to have never played a competitive game for his new club? There was that guy, Emiliano Saka, who died in a plane crash shortly after joining Cardiff, but I don’t think he cost £27m.

Post #541878  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:40 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Offer is meant to be £9.5m

Good price, grab it!

Post #541879  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
david.d wrote:

If he doesn’t it’s a question I’ve asked before. Will Saliba be the most expensive player to have never played a competitive game for his new club? There was that guy, Emiliano Saka, who died in a plane crash shortly after joining Cardiff, but I don’t think he cost £27m.

In comparative prices Clive Allen may be our most expensive player to never play. Paid 1.25 million around 1980. Given what that was worth at the time it was a lot of money.

Post #541880  Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:00 am 

david.d wrote:
I think Sailba has mentally burnt his bridges with us.
Sending him out on loan again was the last straw for him and he must think Arteta doesn't rate him.
He is playing every week for Marseille.
Why on earth would he want to come and be 3rd in the pecking order behind white and Gabriel.

Saliba was well scouted. As I understand it, the intangibles are researched as well: attitude, etc,
So, his personality was not a mystery to anyone. We haven't gotten the full story. We haven't heard both sides. We haven't heard much of anything frankly. Its the first thing I will look for when the documentary comes out.

Till this day I don't know what Podolski did wrong. I recall someone, a player, coach, not sure saying he was one of the most clinical finishers he saw. But he was frozen out for whatever reason(s). Joel Campbell, an Asian player I can't seem to recall (Japanese?). Didn't we make a panic buy for some vet that never played and was a head scratcher?

Saliba was out before he kicked a ball. On the surface, ability doesn't seem like the likely reason. It's something to do with character, personality, attitude, said intangibles.

If he ends up somewhere else, which seems likely at this point. I'd be surprised if he signs another contract, then perhaps he'll feel free to speak on his side. I am also a bit surprised no one of note has made a bid to buy him. This one is a big mystery. A shame.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13544, 13545, 13546, 13547, 13548, 13549, 13550 ... 14269  Next