Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 91 guests

Post #541801  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:03 pm 

:1laughter:
Bernard wrote:
Top Gun here, borrowing Bernard’s computer. I’m sure Xhaka was our left back for that game in 1965.

Post #541802  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Flint got skinned. Other than this match, was he any good?
He was substitute in my Drought Years team: "At one time there were lots of Mc’s at Arsenal and one of my favourites was Billy McCullough from Woodburn, Northern Ireland. He was the sort of attacking left-back fans love, often seen way beyond the halfway line looking for something he rarely found. It made for great adventure. Billy was not the best defender Arsenal ever had but he was fun. How we enjoyed the aggression in him too. ‘He won’t eat you’ was a commonplace phrase of my youth. In Billy’s case a winger could not be sure of the truth of the statement. The McCullough was a man of strength. His crooked nose was indisputable evidence of how he was willing to put himself in harm’s way. Acres of power lay within his robust body, and it may not be myth that the north wind was tattooed on his chest."

Post #541803  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm 

Cheers, omoh.

Post #541804  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:13 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
That's hilarious ltg. But I believe it. There are players from my childhood teams that I don't recall at all.

Even weirder when I can clearly recall Ian Ure on Quiz Ball.

Post #541805  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:17 pm 

I have to say that the impending failure to land Guimaraes is really depressing.

We seem to spend forever checking players out only for them to not want to come or to be seduced elsewhere. The fact that it is Newcastle waving their dosh about adds hugely to the sense of desolation.

And the end of the transfer window is accelerating towards us.

Post #541806  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I have to say that the impending failure to land Guimaraes is really depressing.

We seem to spend forever checking players out only for them to not want to come or to be seduced elsewhere. The fact that it is Newcastle waving their dosh about adds hugely to the sense of desolation.

I think the list of players we’re linked to must be huge, the list of players the club is genuinely interested in and actively following wouldn’t be as big but would also be very big. And from that list we’re looking to make one signing in a particular position so naturally there are going to be huge numbers of players we move on from or decide aren’t as good for us as the one we do go for/get.
£33m for Guimaraes doesn’t seem like that much money and I would hope and expect that if he was our No.1 midfield target we’d be in there matching the bid and then if the player still wanted Newcastle it would be simply due to the extortionate wages we wouldn’t be willing to match - and then we’d say do we really want a player with that sort of priority?

Post #541807  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I think the list of players we’re linked to must be huge, the list of players the club is genuinely interested in and actively following wouldn’t be as big but would also be very big. And from that list we’re looking to make one signing in a particular position so naturally there are going to be huge numbers of players we move on from or decide aren’t as good for us as the one we do go for/get.
£33m for Guimaraes doesn’t seem like that much money and I would hope and expect that if he was our No.1 midfield target we’d be in there matching the bid and then if the player still wanted Newcastle it would be simply due to the extortionate wages we wouldn’t be willing to match - and then we’d say do we really want a player with that sort of priority?

We seem to be unable to attract because we aren’t at the pointy end anymore, or unable to attract because some clubs seem to have inexhaustible pockets.

And most players would have that sort of priority. It’s their job.

Post #541808  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:01 pm 

Can't really see anyone of note coming in now unless we do a Partey and trigger someone's release clause. That would mean paying the whole amount upfront, though.

More chance of a squadfilling loan.

Post #541809  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:23 pm 

socrates wrote:
Can't really see anyone of note coming in now unless we do a Partey and trigger someone's release clause. That would mean paying the whole amount upfront, though.

More chance of a squadfilling loan.

If we don’t strengthen the forward line it’ll seem like a big opportunity missed, which will be a miss made even bigger by not recruiting in midfield. The thing is, the miss in midfield was made worse by getting rid of Mainland-Niles for this season. He’s not brilliant but isn’t far off Lokonga as a back up.

I think we really had a good chance of a top four place this season and to let it slip, if we do, seems rather incompetent.

Post #541810  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:36 pm 

Personally I think Ainsley is a better player in midfield than Lokonga from what we’ve seen so far so it’s a little frustrating he seems to be on his way out.

Problem with him seems to be personal (I know but won’t comment) and commercial (his agent is a wrong un)

On the transfer stuff I find it a little hard to dig the club out too much. We need to get a lot of dross off the wage books and we seem to be doing this but the main problem is up front where Aubameyang and lacazette have seen their form unexpectedly drop right off. I mean these guys should be performing better than they are even considering their ages. They are still relatively Young enough to perform at this level and I can’t really blame the club for not foreseeing such a drop in form. We should have had enough to get through the season but it seems not.

Post #541811  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:55 pm 

Chambers sold to Villa!!

Post #541812  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:56 pm 

Good signing for Villa.
I like Chambers.
Better than Cédric

Post #541813  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:02 pm 

Matt Turner is a done deal but for the summer £7m

If Chambers to Villa is true that seems strange. I don’t think he’s good enough for us and I’d expect his position in the squad to be taken by Saliba and a back up right back in the summer…..but that is in the summer and he’s back up in those positions for the next 17 games.

We’re stripping the squad bare in a year when a volatile virus can spread like wildfire through a squad

Post #541814  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:07 pm 

Chambers is a free transfer with up to £2m add ins. He was free in the summer anyway. Are we that desperate to shift 6 months of his wages and the possibility but no guarantee of £2m? You’d have to think that with each position in the prem worth at least £1m per place that it might have been more sensible to keep him and lose for free in the summer

Post #541815  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:09 pm 

Amazing that not a single journalist picked up on the chambers transfer before it happened. Very rare

Post #541816  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:10 pm 

Rich wrote:

If Chambers to Villa is true that seems strange. I don’t think he’s good enough for us and I’d expect his position in the squad to be taken by Saliba and a back up right back in the summer…..but that is in the summer and he’s back up in those positions for the next 17 games.

We’re stripping the squad bare in a year when a volatile virus can spread like wildfire through a squad

It is true Rich. It’s confirmed on Aston Villa’s official website. With Maitland-Niles already gone it leaves Cédric as the only right back when Tomiyasu is out.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/januar ... s-signing/

Post #541817  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:30 pm 

Does Mari on loan and Chambers gone leave us with just 3 cbs and Tomiyasu who can play there at a push? Tierney as well I guess.

Post #541818  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:33 pm 

So outs this month:
Mari on loan
AMN on loan
Kolasinac contract cancelled
Chambers permanent to Villa
Balogun on loan
And the club desperate to move on Aubameyang

From the 5 outs I reckon we probably paid up Kolasinac’s deal but saved the wages of the other 4 which I’d estimate at maybe £200-250k per week which is £5-6m saving until the summer.

When you consider the prize money on offer for champions league, europa or even just every place in the league on the face of it that seems a strange set of deals for players who could have been emergency back ups for a thin squad. Mari and Kolasinac and Balogun I understand but AMN and Chambers offered versatile back up.

Arsenal fans will go absolutely spare if we don’t add some players in the next 4 days

Post #541819  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

It is true Rich. It’s confirmed on Aston Villa’s official website. With Maitland-Niles already gone it leaves Cédric as the only right back when Tomiyasu is out.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/januar ... s-signing/

Which is a risk considering Tomiyasu had a 2 week injury, rushed in to play because there were no other options and got another 2 week injury.

Post #541820  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
Does Mari on loan and Chambers gone leave us with just 3 cbs and Tomiyasu who can play there at a push? Tierney as well I guess.

….and Xhaka!

Post #541821  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:35 pm 

Chambers is another one in a pretty long list of players who's been mishandled at Arsenal in recent years. Should've just sold him a couple of years ago, we could've easily gotten 10-15m for him, and it was a long time ago he looked like someone who could be more than a bit part player at this level. Maitland-Niles is another one heading in the same direction - a year left on his deal this summer which will affect whatever fee we can get for him. At one point we had a bid of close to 20m on the table.

All of these missed transfer fees add up, and when we're sitting here all agreeing we need at least two starting players these things play a part in our ability to get them.

Post #541822  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:36 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Chambers is another one in a pretty long list of players who's been mishandled at Arsenal in recent years. Should've just sold him a couple of years ago, we could've easily gotten 10-15m for him, and it was a long time ago he looked like someone who could be more than a bit part player at this level. Maitland-Niles is another one heading in the same direction - a year left on his deal this summer which will affect whatever fee we can get for him. At one point we had a bid of close to 20m on the table.

All of these missed transfer fees add up, and when we're sitting here all agreeing we need at least two starting players these things play a part in our ability to get them.

Indeed.

Post #541823  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 pm 

socrates wrote:

Yeah, I think the plan for the rest of the season is White, Gabriel, Holding and Tomiyasu at cb, Tomiyasu, Cédric and Tavares at rb and Tierney and Tavares at lb. Might work, but it's a little risky.

Post #541824  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Yeah, I think the plan for the rest of the season is White, Gabriel, Holding and Tomiyasu at cb, Tomiyasu, Cédric and Tavares at rb and Tierney and Tavares at lb. Might work, but it's a little risky.

I wonder if we might go for the Forest RB

Post #541825  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:52 pm 

There are 19 arsenal players who have made an appearance under Arteta who he has since sold, contract expired or are currently out on loan

Post #541826  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
So outs this month:
Mari on loan
AMN on loan
Kolasinac contract cancelled
Chambers permanent to Villa
Balogun on loan
And the club desperate to move on Aubameyang

From the 5 outs I reckon we probably paid up Kolasinac’s deal but saved the wages of the other 4 which I’d estimate at maybe £200-250k per week which is £5-6m saving until the summer.

When you consider the prize money on offer for champions league, europa or even just every place in the league on the face of it that seems a strange set of deals for players who could have been emergency back ups for a thin squad. Mari and Kolasinac and Balogun I understand but AMN and Chambers offered versatile back up.

Arsenal fans will go absolutely spare if we don’t add some players in the next 4 days

Reports suggest we did pay up Kolasnic’s contract. Mari was on £85k per week, AMN was on £52k per week, Chambers was on £50k per week, and Balogun was on £32k per week. That’s £219k a week.

£219k a week is a very high wage for a single player, a pretty high wage across two players, and a relatively average wage for three first team players. But the important point is that the squad, as it currently stands, is materially weaker than it was at the beginning of January. With us chasing fourth place, unless we are going to sign a couple of players before the window expires, I’ll be one of the fans going spare.

Post #541827  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:13 pm 

Cor. Wow.

Post #541828  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm 

At the end of the day we only have another 13 games to contest. 3 centre backs plus Tommy might be enough. Saliba comes in next year

Shame Callum left. Good player I thought and always gave his best. Shame really

Post #541829  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
At the end of the day we only have another 13 games to contest. 3 centre backs plus Tommy might be enough. Saliba comes in next year

Isn't it 17 games? Not that thats a massive amount more.

Post #541830  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Might have got the number wrong

Post #541831  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:38 pm 

At least the women’s team won 2-1 at home to Brighton after being 0-1 down at half time.

Post #541832  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Might have got the number wrong

Only just over half way through our season.

Post #541833  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 pm 

The goings on at the club seem very strange but in truth it’s just a continuation of shipping out the dead wood. It’s an ongoing process. I think we’re bringing one or two in personally. Nothing more than a hunch rather than any knowledge.

Post #541834  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:39 pm 

Rich wrote:

If he’ll replace an outgoing Leno, I’ll be surprised if it’s not another weakening of the squad.

Post #541835  Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

If he’ll replace an outgoing Leno, I’ll be surprised if it’s not another weakening of the squad.

Probably but can a club like Arsenal pay a reserve keeper 100 grand a week.

Would make sense to run a tighter ship till we are back in Europe

Post #541836  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:20 am 

Matt Turner signed. Posted that Weds. Joked about it, yet simplest, quickest and least expensive so far. Summer start for a GK with a decent record.

Post #541837  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:17 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Probably but can a club like Arsenal pay a reserve keeper 100 grand a week.

Would make sense to run a tighter ship till we are back in Europe

I'm pretty sure Leno isn't happy to just sit in the reserves as he could easily get a #1 spot with another club. So wouldn't discount him pushing for a transfer and out best option is to maximise the sale value.

On a side note we seem to have had plenty of reasonable keepers go through the club and onto greener pastures. Fabianski, Szczensy, Martinez all still #1's at their respective clubs after being 2nd string at Arsenal.

Post #541838  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:04 am 

Cutting it close again in the transfer market. We desperately need an established Striker and another box to box Midfielder.

Post #541839  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:22 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Cutting it close again in the transfer market. We desperately need an established Striker and another box to box Midfielder.

Agree with the midfielder G7 and also any chance of Top 4 would seem to ride on another striker. Then again, is it more the midfield issues disrupting things more than having another striker? We seemed to be doing ok when Aubameyang first got dropped and were scoring goals too. Injuries to Tomayasu didn't help as well as Tierney who doesn't seem to be the same since his return from injury.

Post #541840  Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
At least the women’s team won 2-1 at home to Brighton after being 0-1 down at half time.

Did you see the arsenal women’s team also got one of those FA charges for the players failing to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner (or whatever the official wording is)? In the 1-1 draw for other City a City cross field pass hit the referee and diverted the ball nicely in to the path of the onrushing winger and City scored in the next 2-3 touches. Arsenal women were furious because the rules say the game should be stopped if the ball hits the ref. 3 arsenal players complained seemingly respectfully and none of them were booked for dissent.
It does seem, like the men’s incident, that the FA try to make it all about indisciplined players rather than incompetent referee. But that’s a pretty low precedent bar to set for any future potential charges.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13543, 13544, 13545, 13546, 13547, 13548, 13549 ... 14269  Next