Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 109 guests

Post #541481  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:09 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

In my view he has a touch of the Hleb's ....... good rum , curry , cayenne pepper enema pre match might help .

:laughing7:
Any thought about what we can do about they others?

:laughing7: been vaguely musing over it yesterday ...to be honest Decaf with yesterday's lineup ; man for man I don't think we are that inferior to Liverpool .

Where I think the difference lies in the fact Klopp with typical Germanic efficiency sends his men out all knowing exactly what their role is .
Look how seamlessly 65 year old James Milner slots in when subbed .

Until Mikel cures this tendency to sideways / back pass ad nauseum we will never improve to where we put in consistent performances .

When called on to play a forward pass we are so incredibly wayward , which leads to us defending more .

Jota's second for instance .... Martinelli slips ; was it Alexander Arnold takes a touch , Jota makes the run , Alexander hoists it onto his chest .

Where would a similar effort by us end up ... hit the linesman , into the director's box , knock over the corner flag .

Post #541482  Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
:laughing7:
Any thought about what we can do about they others?

:laughing7: been vaguely musing over it yesterday ...to be honest Decaf with yesterday's lineup ; man for man I don't think we are that inferior to Liverpool .

Hmmm not sure about that. Their back 4 of Trent/Matip/VVD/Robertson won the champions league and Premier league. I like our back 4 but each of them are a step down from the Liverpool equivalent.
Fabinho is for me the best defensive midfielder in the league (maybe Rodri as well) Lokonga is raw and miles off him.
We all love Saka, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard but the facts show that Jota and Firminho are still a level above and difference makers in their team.
If you have Liverpool fans the option of adding any Arsenal player in to their best starting 11 I doubt they pick any of ours yet.

Post #541483  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:06 am 

Rich wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Hmmm not sure about that. Their back 4 of Trent/Matip/VVD/Robertson won the champions league and Premier league. I like our back 4 but each of them are a step down from the Liverpool equivalent.
Fabinho is for me the best defensive midfielder in the league (maybe Rodri as well) Lokonga is raw and miles off him.
We all love Saka, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard but the facts show that Jota and Firminho are still a level above and difference makers in their team.
If you have Liverpool fans the option of adding any Arsenal player in to their best starting 11 I doubt they pick any of ours yet.

Saka will likely be picked

Post #541484  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:52 am 

Rich wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Ahh but you miss the point I'm making , I'm not saying our mob is as good ...that's laughable .

I said not too inferior ...... what I meant was swap any of our players .... under Klopp's tutelage for a couple of months would perform just as well as the former ..
.... couple of exceptions .

Post #541485  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 am 

warrior wrote:
Louie Anderson, comic and 'Baskets' star, dead at 68

Seeing as you seem focused on obituaries ... look out for mine .

Friday some old tart rings up the OP Shop where I volunteer .... " Err ahhh hello ... yes I've got a few boxes of books you can have "

They send me around , I take my trailer .... loaded 90 full apple boxes on the trailer and stashed another 8 in the boot and on the back seat .of the car

Headed home ; wheels rubbing on the guards at every bump and corner

Yesterday took them all off and sorted them . This morning loaded 73 boxes back on and dumped them in a skip at recyclers ..... recipe for a heart attack .

Post #541486  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:06 am 

Fantasizing but dreaming of Fabregas as a back up midfielder coming off the bench finding Lacazette, Martinelli or others with one of his famous passes.

Anyway, hoping we pick up whomever our targets are. This serie A player's youtube highlights look good but its youtube.

All that said, fans are a bit too worried when I talk to other gooners, see forums, etc. If we were told before the season started we were given a vision of the table on January 22nd 2022, we'd be ecstatic. It's dicey right now. I'm nervous each match. A feeling I haven't had in a while. I was expecting the worse against pretty much any opposition several months ago.

There is no way rival fans could watch the Liverpool tie and not think The Arsenal are a very decent side. I'm going to query some opposition fans I know. Hear their thoughts. A few Brits I know from the old LA days. They are brutally honest about their own side as well as ours.

Post #541487  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:09 am 

I was watching a very weird but good tv show called 'Euphoria' about American HS students. This song came up and it instantly reminded me of Sunday drives with my father. He had music like this on the radio. One of the best songs of the era by Gerry Rafferty along with Baker Street with what has to be the best saxophone hook in rock. :58big-emoticons:

Post #541488  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:53 am 

Seems Martinelli has a fan boy.

https://www.givemesport.com/1824887-liverpools-jurgen-klopp-made-sure-to-praise-gabriel-martinelli-after-20-win-vs-arsenal
Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp made sure to praise Gabriel Martinelli after 2-0 win vs Arsenal

Post #541489  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
warrior wrote:
Sad to hear about Meatloaf. He was an AntiVaxxer who died of Covid.

It’s brilliant watching these anti Vax loons video themselves and stick it on twitter. There’s a brilliant one going round of a sergeant at greater Manchester police booting them out of some place or other.

There's also the story of Trump supporting antivaxers not being allowed into a Trump restaurant. Cries of "Trump is a fraud". Who would have guessed? :laughing7: :laughing7:

https://www.indy100.com/viral/trump-vac ... x-b1982152

Post #541490  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:48 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ahh but you miss the point I'm making , I'm not saying our mob is as good ...that's laughable .

I said not too inferior ...... what I meant was swap any of our players .... under Klopp's tutelage for a couple of months would perform just as well as the former ..

Apart from saying their are a couple of exceptions, I have to agree with you kiwi. I think it’s too simplistic to list all Liverpool’s players and claim none of ours compare. There are rumours Liverpool want to buy Saka, and Klopp has talked glowingly of Martinelli more than once. Under Klopp would they get plenty of games at Liverpool? I bet they would. Ødegaard at Liverpool under Klopp would I’m sure be even better than the outstanding player he is fast becoming at Arsenal.

Who are your exceptions? Because would Xhaka or Partey under Klopp still be making the errors of judgment some accuse them of here? I bet he’d sort it out pretty damn quickly.

Post #541491  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ok, but having every one of your 11 best players as ‘not too inferior’ to Liverpool’s does add up to quite a gap when you look at the whole team, a gap that is currently represented in the table.
Klopp took a few years to get this team he has now, he turned over pretty much the entire squad and had the golden goose of Coutinho’s transfer- and for a while Liverpool were just getting hit after hit in the transfer market.
They are the best team for us to compare ourselves to in terms of where they were, where we were, where they are and where we want to be.

I agree that you could put Saka or Martinelli in to Liverpool’s best 11 and they wouldn’t look out of place but that’s also a lot to do with the quality they are surrounded by as well as their own quality.

Post #541492  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:21 am 

So do we want a draw between Man U and West Ham? And Chelsea to beat Spurs, even though Chelsea could be dragged in to the top 4 race, I think in the long run they’ll have too much quality so better to knock spurs down

Post #541493  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:28 am 

West Ham win. I'd rather fight for a 4th spot with West Ham and their much more limited resources compared to Man Utd. Second, its Man Utd. I hate them.

Post #541494  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:38 am 

Rich wrote:
So do we want a draw between Man U and West Ham? And Chelsea to beat Spurs, even though Chelsea could be dragged in to the top 4 race, I think in the long run they’ll have too much quality so better to knock spurs down

MU & WHU draw, Chelsea win

Post #541495  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:55 am 

Rich wrote:

Chelsea win or draw is fine by me.

Post #541496  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:31 am 

Interesting take on Kroenke and Usmanov. Quite plausible, especially as things have turned out.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... qK3N1lFCCE

Post #541497  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Chelsea win or draw is fine by me.

A draw? I don't think so. Put me down for Chelsea 8, Tottenham 1. With a late dubious penalty converted by Kane: no-one likes to see a team completely humiliated. Especially one without a trophy for a decade and a half, and a cheese room that never was.

Post #541498  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Interesting take on Kroenke and Usmanov. Quite plausible, especially as things have turned out.

Some may see Everton's woes as vindication Kroenke was the right choice. I don't.
First, two different clubs with two different situations and starting points. We've always had more collective talent than Everton.

Anyway, neither Usmanov or Kroenke are acceptable to me but it is what it is. I've already beaten that horse about Dein bringing both into the club as a choice. Unforgivable and self serving. Fortunately, we have seen things improve in terms of the league this season. But it didn't happen over night. To be fair, we won some silverware as well.

Post #541499  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Some may see Everton's woes as vindication Kroenke was the right choice. I don't.
First, two different clubs with two different situations and starting points. We've always had more collective talent than Everton.

Anyway, neither Usmanov or Kroenke are acceptable to me but it is what it is. I've already beaten that horse about Dein bringing both into the club as a choice. Unforgivable and self serving. Fortunately, we have seen things improve in terms of the league this season. But it didn't happen over night. To be fair, we won some silverware as well.

The whole game (industry) has moved on so much as to be unrecognisable. I no longer have any idea about what a good owner is. I certainly can’t see many role models.

Imagine ending up like Derby County.

Post #541500  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:02 pm 

Rich wrote:

Draw or West Ham win for me. Just like the point you make about Chelsea (which I agree with) we should have enough quality to finish ahead of West Ham in the long run. Man Utd are more likely than West Ham to overtake us, if they get their act together.

Post #541501  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:08 pm 

Everton starting with two strikers I wouldn't mind seeing at Arsenal, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin.

With Calvert-Lewin, there's obviously the question of the price tag with him being young and English. His injury record is a little shaky as well, but I like him as a player - good target man, physical, but with some skill and not as slow as many other players of his ilk.

Richarlison I really like, versatile, can play in several positions but has been used mainly as a central striker this season. Skillful, hard working and tenacious. It's ridiculous that a starting striker for Brazil is playing in an Everton side fighting just above the relegation line.

Post #541502  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:13 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyway, neither Usmanov or Kroenke are acceptable to me but it is what it is. I've already beaten that horse about Dein bringing both into the club as a choice. Unforgivable and self serving.

But it was Fiszman who facilitated Kroenke’s control of the club, not Dein. Kroenke had less than 10% of the shares before Fiszman decided to sell his entire holding to Stan on his deathbed.

Post #541503  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:33 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
The whole game (industry) has moved on so much as to be unrecognisable. I no longer have any idea about what a good owner is. I certainly can’t see many role models.

Imagine ending up like Derby County.

I'm not familiar with most of the owners in the PL these days. Who would be regarded as a good one? Leicester City maybe? I don't know.

I was initially proud of our ownership when I first became a fan. From what I know they were well respected men in and out the league.

Post #541504  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Everton starting with two strikers I wouldn't mind seeing at Arsenal, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin.

With Calvert-Lewin, there's obviously the question of the price tag with him being young and English. His injury record is a little shaky as well, but I like him as a player - good target man, physical, but with some skill and not as slow as many other players of his ilk.

Richarlison I really like, versatile, can play in several positions but has been used mainly as a central striker this season. Skillful, hard working and tenacious. It's ridiculous that a starting striker for Brazil is playing in an Everton side fighting just above the relegation line.

Richarlison is a weird one. He has buckets of talent. Sometimes I look at him and wonder why he isn't playing for Real Madrid. Then on other occasions he looks like a pub league player. A move to a bigger club could benefit him. I definitely wouldn't complain if we signed him.

Post #541505  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:27 pm 

dec wrote:
Richarlison is a weird one. He has buckets of talent. Sometimes I look at him and wonder why he isn't playing for Real Madrid. Then on other occasions he looks like a pub league player. A move to a bigger club could benefit him. I definitely wouldn't complain if we signed him.

Yeah, I don't know if it's his temper that scares teams off because he's really talented. Could see both him and Calvert-Lewin score more in a better, more attack minded side, playing along the likes of Saka, Martinelli and Ødegaard.

Post #541506  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:52 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Yeah, I don't know if it's his temper that scares teams off because he's really talented. Could see both him and Calvert-Lewin score more in a better, more attack minded side, playing along the likes of Saka, Martinelli and Ødegaard.

I could see both of them angling for a move if there are clubs interested.
On the other side of today’s game is Ollie Watkins who I rate. Quick, full of energy, presses well, good off the ball runs, can link play and run the channels and play wide and gets in the box to score ‘classic’ striker goals.

Watkins and DCL is all about the price though.

Post #541507  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:08 pm 

'Ammers started lively. They may get something out of this.

Post #541508  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:10 pm 

Just to wind up Top Gun. :toothy9:

The view from Xhaka (with lots of sense really).

https://www.skysports.com/share/12521125

Post #541509  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:12 pm 

Moyes should be a serious contender for Manager of the Year if there is any fairness.

Post #541510  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:27 pm 

Each week that goes by I ask myself how on earth we managed to be the one team to lose to Everton. :36angers:

Post #541511  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:49 pm 

Play suspended at Brentford and Wolverhampton EPL game due to drone hovering above field

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ ... e=rss_feed

Post #541512  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:51 pm 

Man Utd wins the game in the 94th minute after their first good attack of the game.

Post #541513  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:55 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Man Utd wins the game in the 94th minute after their first good attack of the game.

Gutted, close to the perfect result for us. Spurs and Man U winning games in the last second 3 times in a row between them, and we lost to everton and Man City with last minute goals. Huge points swing.

What spurs and Man U are doing right now is winning marginal games. Two evenly matched teams and they’re sneaking the wins and winning when playing poorly time and time again. If we play poorly we don’t win, nearly all of our victories this season have been us playing really well.

Post #541514  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:00 pm 

Stuttgart are second from bottom in Germany. If they get relegated their obligation to purchase Mavropanos for about £3m becomes an option to purchase him for that price. Which means Arsenal can refuse and either bring him back or more likely sell him to a higher bidder

Post #541515  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
Stuttgart are second from bottom in Germany. If they get relegated their obligation to purchase Mavropanos for about £3m becomes an option to purchase him for that price. Which means Arsenal can refuse and either bring him back or more likely sell him to a higher bidder

Doesn't the option to buy mean we can't refuse the bid if it's for the right amount?

Post #541516  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:08 pm 

Seen the replay for the Man Utd goal a couple of times now, and it still looks offside to me. They did a VAR check so I assume they got it right, but...

Post #541517  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:15 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Seen the replay for the Man Utd goal a couple of times now, and it still looks offside to me. They did a VAR check so I assume they got it right, but...

Are you Rich in disguise? :15laughter:

Post #541518  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:18 pm 

warrior wrote:
Play suspended at Brentford and Wolverhampton EPL game due to drone hovering above field

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ ... e=rss_feed

Match resumed. Ref also had a communication equipment failure that got fixed.

Post #541519  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Are you Rich in disguise? :15laughter:

You be the judge!

Attachments:
resize.jpg
resize.jpg [ 21.8 KB | Viewed 3719 times ]

Post #541520  Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:05 pm 

I didn’t watch the game but had a look at the stats for the Manchester United (MU) vs West Ham (WH) game, and BBC Sport (a site I trust and rate very highly) give this.

Possession
MU 57% - WH 43%

Shots
MU 18 - WH 6

Shots on target
MU 3 - WH 1

Corners
MU 3 - WH 3

Fouls
MU 9 - WH 8

Nothing material between the corners and fouls, but on the stuff that arguably give a better guide as to who deserved to win, to me it looks like MU.

As I said, I didn’t watch the match and MOTD will no doubt provide the expected goals stat, which the BBC Sports website didn’t. But unless MU’s 15 off target shots (18 in total less 3 on target) were from miles out or so wide and high they went nearer the nets at the Etihad than Old Trafford while WH’s 5 off target (6 in total less 1 on target) were terrible misses from a few yards out, with the same sort of principles applying to the on target shots, then I anticipate MU’s expected goal stat to be higher.

I honestly feel MU win so many games with late goals that it’s a positive characteristic that deserves respect, even if it’s annoying.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13535, 13536, 13537, 13538, 13539, 13540, 13541 ... 14269  Next