Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 349 guests

Post #541241  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is a guy on twitter who does a huge amount of stat based scouting on potential Arsenal players. One of the things I like that he sometimes does if just give you the stats of various players but doesn't tell you the player. You decide who's looks like the sort of player you want.

Anyway, these are 4 Serie A strikers - in all cases the taller the bar the better that attribute is. Which striker would you want?

Very interesting. Judging just by these stats I'd probably lean towards player D; high amount of goals, xG and xA says it's a player that makes things happen. High dispossessed stat could just mean it's a player that often tries to get past his defender - Saka gets dispossessed more than any other Arsenal player by a pretty big margin. Not very impressive pressing stats, but pressing is such a team thing, if you play for a team that doesn't focus too much on it your stats probably won't look great in that regard. Doesn't mean you can't be an effective presser in a different setup.

Post #541242  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Xhakas yellow card being investigated. Suggestion it was deliberate by the player

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-25993200

Would explain a lot

If lots of people were to suddenly bet on one player getting a yellow card and it was just coincidence, and not spot fixing, surely that player would be Granite Xhaka, who you literally called a walking Red card :laughing7:

Also as an aside at the end of the article what on earth is this all about?

Quote:
An alleged match-fixing plot also cropped up in Ghana last summer.
Inter Allies' Ghana Premier League clash with Ashanti Gold which was at the centre of the scandal.

Inter defender Hashmin Musah intentionally scored two own goals for his already-relegated side to prevent an alleged pre-arranged result involving his team.

Musah's deliberate actions went viral across social media, having come on with 12 minutes remaining as Allies trailed 5-0, and he claimed to have received praise for his teammates after the match ended 7-0.

"After the game, my technical team commended me for spoiling the bet they had staked," Musah revealed to Kumasi FM post-match.

"I promised my coach that if he allows me to play from the bench, I will spoil the bet. And after the game, my team congratulated me."

I don’t understand what I’ve just read. They all knew about the bet and it was for a 5-0 scoreline which presumably they’d enacted on the pitch but then praised one player for ruining it by scoring 2 own goals???? Eh??

Post #541243  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:

South Africa's trajectory in the AFCON is possibly the most ignominious of all.

They won it at the first attempt (1996). were runners up in the next tournament (1998), semi-finalists in 2000, quarterfinalists in 2002, failed to get to knockout stages in 2004, came last in their groups in both 2006 and 2008, and failed to qualify in 2010.

As a former driving instructor you will appreciate such smooth backward maneuvering :laughing7:

However they actually managed to top that in terms of wretchedness in 2012, by failing to qualify after laughably misreading the rules and playing out a draw when they needed to win. An excruciating experience. I stopped watching their televised matches after that. Life is too short.

thats an amazing run...

Post #541244  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 pm 

Tottenham are a couple of minutes away from losing to Leicester, who have been quite poor.

Post #541245  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:25 pm 

Incredible, Tottenham scores two goals in added time to turn it around.

Post #541246  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 pm 

Spurs late equaliser.

never mind most important thing is they have blown their extra games without overtaking us. We have a real chance of top 4 if we can keep our players fit

Post #541247  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 pm 

*%^@ you Leicester : weak effort at the end. I hope they plummet down the table. Gutless

Post #541248  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 pm 

Offs .. spoke to soon. Mental

*%^@*** Leicester

Post #541249  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:27 pm 

How the *%^@ did they lose that one

Post #541250  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:29 pm 

We're not getting top 4. Bergwijn scores two goals in added time, it's just their season. They have the gods on their side.

Post #541251  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:34 pm 

Seriously one of the worst bottle jobs I've seen. How can you be 2-1 up and then just let the opponents run right through your team to score in the 94th and 96th minute. Shocking stuff

Post #541252  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 pm 

*%^@*** *%^@
I can't believe it.
2 1 down to win 3 2

This was a game they should have dropped points
Jammy *%^@*

As for utd second best all game but *%^@*** winning 2 0
I hate these 2 teams
Top 4 looking shaky
Massive 3 points for spurs

Post #541253  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 pm 

Harvey Barnes
*%^@*** idiot
He square's it instead of shooting they win 3 1
Pigsick

Post #541254  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 pm 

I expected both to drop points actually but that's how it is. Brentford should have been up minimally one nil first half, but 2 one on one chances with De Gea and they didn't score.

How Leicester lost that game I don't know. A set back but still lots of football to be played.

Post #541255  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:42 pm 

Top 4 isn't going to end on a January night. Too much football to be played. We beat sperz and its forgotten.

Post #541256  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:46 pm 

Shane that they both didn’t drop points but take solace in the fact neither really can keep this level of luck and poor performance up without being properly punished it just isn’t sustainable.

Relying on injury time winners or poor finishing from opponents just doesn’t cut it in the long run

Post #541257  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Shane that they both didn’t drop points but take solace in the fact neither really can keep this level of luck and poor performance up without being properly punished it just isn’t sustainable.

Relying on injury time winners or poor finishing from opponents just doesn’t cut it in the long run

Really hope you're right Rich.
That actually feels like a defeat for us.
Sickening seeing that cumt kane celebrating at the end

Post #541258  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
We're not getting top 4. Bergwijn scores two goals in added time, it's just their season. They have the gods on their side.

It feels a bit like that.

They seem to win games they don’t deserve at all. Leaves you shaking your head.

Long way to go but the game at their place looks critical and will probably have a huge impact on where either team finishes

Post #541259  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:59 pm 

Rich wrote:

Exactly. Like one night in January is the end of the season. lol

It hurts, no doubt about that, I felt sick to my stomach, seeing dropped points from both but I'm not going to overreact as well. I'm sure both those sides felt the same about us with our form in the league.

I'd be more worried if either side completely dominated their games and seemed on another level.

Post #541260  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:01 pm 

Rich wrote:

There’s also the possibility that it happens so often, can it genuinely all be down to coincidence? Let me say I didn’t watch either game. But the regularity with which they play poorly but get a positive result could mean they have more about them than you want to accept.

Post #541261  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm 

If the game had gone ahead at the weekend. Arteta out would probably be trending on Twitter right now and people would be saying all the silly stuff like “we have no style of play”

Post #541262  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

There’s also the possibility that it happens so often, can it genuinely all be down to coincidence? Let me say I didn’t watch either game. But the regularity with which they play poorly but get a positive result could mean they have more about them than you want to accept.

I think your right Bernard. They aren’t the poor side many believe. Not many “names” but There’s enough talent there to cause teams problems.

Post #541263  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:34 pm 

david.d wrote:
Giroud was very underrated in my opinion.
For the 12 to 14 million we bought him for he gave us fantastic service and could never understand why he was given a hard time by some of our fans.
Very good striker albeit lack of pace but excellent technique.
He would be so good for this current team.

I liked Giroud too and see Vlahovic in a very similar mould. Similar to Soc, I'd prefer a little more pace in the central striker but maybe with Saka and Martinelli on the flanks we have enough pace and having someone taller than Lacazette as the central striker gives us a heading option in the centre. DHD's point about the defences playing against Vlahovic in the highlight reels being 'ropey' is pretty fair too and he wouldn't be afforded anywhere near that much space in the PL.

I'm still not convinced Vlahovic is the right player for the long term but having read the collective wisdom on here he would at least give us more height in the midfield and the box to keep defenders like Maquire busy.

Post #541264  Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:46 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Tottenham are a couple of minutes away from losing to Leicester, who have been quite poor.

:evil7:

Post #541265  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
...the regularity with which they play poorly but get a positive result could mean they have more about them than you want to accept.
Yes. Score two goals in the opening minutes and nobody calls it lucky as they do when scored at the end. The old Clough cliche of it only takes a second to score a goal should never be forgotten.

Post #541266  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think your right Bernard. They aren’t the poor side many believe. Not many “names” but There’s enough talent there to cause teams problems.

Thought the same when Rich mentioned they keep getting lucky. He's right in saying that luck only runs so far but it also gives them time to get their act together and do it more consistently while they've already got the 'lucky' points on the board. Same with Man Utd who are still adjusting to Rangnick and tolerating Ronaldo's childish tantrums.

On top of the NLD I expect Spurs to be even more fired up with the 'injustice' of not being able to play us when our team was severely diminished and it will a tough match.

Post #541267  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:44 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Score two goals in the opening minutes and nobody calls it lucky as they do when scored at the end. The old Clough cliche of it only takes a second to score a goal should never be forgotten.

I'd guess that as unworthy we are of being labled lucky, that our rise from bottom of the table to legitimate top 4 contenders were littered with 'lucky Arsenal', 'referees favor Arsenal', etc. on our way up.

I certainly heard 'lucky Arsenal' almost on a weekly basis at the pub in LA during our heyday.

It's common for fans to say this, I say this. Sometimes its painfully legitimate such as referees rarely giving Man Utd a penalty at OT in previous years (if not now...I have no idea).

If these teams were so routinely lucky we wouldn't have caught them. :1laughter:

Post #541268  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:28 am 

My use of the word ‘lucky’ in my post was more aimed at Man U as they have played genuinely poorly in every game I’ve watched them recently and should have been 3-0 down at half time.
Spurs was more about their very late winners - by all accounts they were the more dominant team against a pretty decimated Leicester team. I recall a time about 10 years ago when Arsenal scored about 4 last minute winners in consecutive games - felt amazing as a fan but you just can’t keep doing that - and we didn’t. If scoring a goal was as easy as taking off a defender and throwing on another striker teams wouldn’t just do it for the last 10 minutes. It’s chaos football that rips up any structure and formation.

That said it’s hugely frustrating to see these wins when you think it’s a good opportunity for them to drop points. Spurs still have to go away to Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Man U. Let’s see how they get on v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge at the weekend - lose that and we beat Burnley as we should then we’re back 2 points above them with them only having 1 game in hand

Post #541269  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:39 am 

The Leicester defending for the spurs winner is as bad as you’ll see. They lose the ball cheaply after their own kick off then one simple pass and Leicester have 7 men ahead of the ball, their back 3 are too high and holding a terribly staggered line, there’s no pressure on the ball. And finally and I think worst of all Schmiechel has a poor starting position and doesn’t come out to clear it, if your defence is 10 yards short of half way as a gk you need to be on the edge of the box, when the ball is played through Bergwein gets on to it and takes his first touch 5 yards outside the box. If Smcheichel’s position is correct he sweeps that through ball up in his sleep!the screenshot below shows about a second before Bergwein makes his first touch, that ball has travelled from the half way line to the edge of the box, awful awful Goalkeeping

Attachments:

Post #541270  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:43 am 

As I’ve said a few times, I’ve never seen Vlahovic kick a ball even on YouTube let alone telly. There’s been discussion about his alleged lack of pace. For those who have seen something of him, how does it compare to Harry Kane’s, who I’ve never seen as a speed merchant even though he’s arguably the world’s best centre forward, or at least one of them?

Post #541271  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:13 am 

In the mess that saw the first leg of our semi called off it turns out Liverpool did their tests and nearly all were negative, they then ordered more tests (which were not required) and had their infamous false positives. It seems they were desperate for some positive tests one way or another.

Post #541272  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
As I’ve said a few times, I’ve never seen Vlahovic kick a ball even on YouTube let alone telly. There’s been discussion about his alleged lack of pace. For those who have seen something of him, how does it compare to Harry Kane’s, who I’ve never seen as a speed merchant even though he’s arguably the world’s best centre forward, or at least one of them?

From what I’ve seen which is limited he looks like a left footed Harry Kane with fractionally more pace. One the things you rarely notice about Kane is his lack of pace because it’s compensated by his positional awareness, ability to link play and anticipation. Seems similar from what I’ve seen. He’s a van nistelrooy really by the looks of it not a wright or Henry.

Post #541273  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

From what I’ve seen which is limited he looks like a left footed Harry Kane with fractionally more pace. One the things you rarely notice about Kane is his lack of pace because it’s compensated by his positional awareness, ability to link play and anticipation. Seems similar from what I’ve seen. He’s a van nistelrooy really by the looks of it not a wright or Henry.

Many thanks. Being a bit like a left footed Harry Kane or another Van Nistelrooy doesn’t seem a bad starting point to me, even if he’s not another Henry or Wright.

Post #541274  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 am 

Seems like Liverpool really wanted the first leg to get postponed. Wonder what Jamie Carragher's take on this will be.

Post #541275  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Seems like Liverpool really wanted the first leg to get postponed. Wonder what Jamie Carragher's take on this will be.

Thing is I knew I had covid but had to do 4 tests to return a positive one myself. The testing process isn’t perfect

Post #541276  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Thing is I knew I had covid but had to do 4 tests to return a positive one myself. The testing process isn’t perfect

False negatives and false positives are two very different things though. One is relatively common and the other one isn't.

Post #541277  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

False negatives and false positives are two very different things though. One is relatively common and the other one isn't.

Then if they have to submit their tests how did frig it. Have they got a team of biochemists on their payroll

Post #541278  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Then if they have to submit their tests how did frig it. Have they got a team of biochemists on their payroll

Isn't the main point why they did another round of testing when it wasn't required? Surely teams would do the test required see it is negative and think 'good that player can play in the next game'. Why take more tests if you don't need to as you could run the risk of a mix up?

The coincidence of this happening at exactly the same time a postponement would have been perfect for Liverpool is just to fishy. And for balance it was probably fishy when Arsenal had a number of players 'injured' so we could call off the NLD, were they too injured to play, or if we were forced to play would we have seen them out on the pitch and playing at 75% fit? We used it to our advantage but didn't break any rules - can Liverpool say they same? Even if they can then why is the equal hysteria and finger pointing by the mainstream media as we had?

edit: also the Athletic article shows Liverpool requested a postponement BEFORE they had any positive tests

Post #541279  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Isn't the main point why they did another round of testing when it wasn't required? Surely teams would do the test required see it is negative and think 'good that player can play in the next game'. Why take more tests if you don't need to as you could run the risk of a mix up?

The coincidence of this happening at exactly the same time a postponement would have been perfect for Liverpool is just to fishy. And for balance it was probably fishy when Arsenal had a number of players 'injured' so we could call off the NLD, were they too injured to play, or if we were forced to play would we have seen them out on the pitch and playing at 75% fit? We used it to our advantage but didn't break any rules - can Liverpool say they same? Even if they can then why is the equal hysteria and finger pointing by the mainstream media as we had?

edit: also the Athletic article shows Liverpool requested a postponement BEFORE they had any positive tests

Don’t you think we shouldn’t be throwing stones about this right now.

Feels to me like it’s debating the price of fish and chips to be honest

Post #541280  Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:32 am 

With this Xhaka yellow card and potentially suspicious betting I hadn't appreciated in the Leeds game when Xhaka got booked it was for time wasting in the 85th minute when we were 4-1 up. I think I had in my mind that he was booked for the 'stamp' tackle on Raphinha.
It does make it a bit more odd to get booked for time wasting when 4-1 up with only 5 mins to go - but, how do you prove it?

[ 571948 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13529, 13530, 13531, 13532, 13533, 13534, 13535 ... 14299  Next