Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 115 guests

Post #537961  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 am 

A while ago I wrote this of Ray Kennedy, which may be of interest:

"In his touching book Ray of Hope: The Ray Kennedy Story, Andrew Lees recounts how the strapping forward was born with his umbilical cord knotted around his neck. It seems that right from the start he was used to extricating himself from awkward situations, though as I write fate the mighty has him in the unremitting clasp of Parkinson’s Disease. As a striker at Arsenal he became renowned for his ability to escape close marking and his phlegmatic bearing of the marks of his violators. McLintock called him ‘Concrete Legs’ and coach Steve Burtenshaw recalled ‘defenders behind him could not even see the ball half the time, he was so powerful.’ Ray came from a working-class mining background in Northumberland and was drawn into football through the influence of his father Martin and his mother Veronica. There is the lovely anecdote how when Ray scored a goal he would say, ‘That’s one for me Mam.’ The one he scored in Belgium in April 1970 was shared with delight by millions of Arsenal fans, as was the fearsome header he netted a year later at White Hart Lane to secure the League title for The Gunners. That goal ensured that even when Ray moved on to experience many great days at Liverpool, his reputation remained unblemished at Arsenal."

Post #537962  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 am 

Interesting how he was loved by both clubs. Being a big part of a double will do that I suppose.

Post #537963  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:57 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

"In his touching book Ray of Hope: The Ray Kennedy Story, Andrew Lees recounts how the strapping forward was born with his umbilical cord knotted around his neck. It seems that right from the start he was used to extricating himself from awkward situations, though as I write fate the mighty has him in the unremitting clasp of Parkinson’s Disease. As a striker at Arsenal he became renowned for his ability to escape close marking and his phlegmatic bearing of the marks of his violators. McLintock called him ‘Concrete Legs’ and coach Steve Burtenshaw recalled ‘defenders behind him could not even see the ball half the time, he was so powerful.’ Ray came from a working-class mining background in Northumberland and was drawn into football through the influence of his father Martin and his mother Veronica. There is the lovely anecdote how when Ray scored a goal he would say, ‘That’s one for me Mam.’ The one he scored in Belgium in April 1970 was shared with delight by millions of Arsenal fans, as was the fearsome header he netted a year later at White Hart Lane to secure the League title for The Gunners. That goal ensured that even when Ray moved on to experience many great days at Liverpool, his reputation remained unblemished at Arsenal."

Nicely said, OMOH. There was a 1991 video Ray of Hope as well. He seems like such a lovely, easy-going bloke here, trying to take his affliction in his stride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_uZ5dVHdw

This video contains bonus and rare footage of Jim Leighton in an Arsenal shirt.

Post #537964  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Nicely said, OMOH. There was a 1991 video Ray of Hope as well. He seems like such a lovely, easy-going bloke here, trying to take his affliction in his stride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_uZ5dVHdw

This video contains bonus and rare footage of Jim Leighton in an Arsenal shirt.
Thanks for putting that up - I will have a butchers later today.

Post #537965  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:22 am 

African cup of nations is an absolute disaster waiting to happen for us in January right ?

It takes partey and Aubameyang out of our first 11 and Pépé and elneny off the bench. League games including one against Spurs plus a league cup semi and a fa cup tie all with a midfield 2 of lokonga and AMN. If you get any injuries on top of that we could be really short.

Post #537966  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:27 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
African cup of nations is an absolute disaster waiting to happen for us in January right ?

It takes partey and Aubameyang out of our first 11 and Pépé and elneny off the bench. League games including one against Spurs plus a league cup semi and a fa cup tie all with a midfield 2 of lokonga and AMN. If you get any injuries on top of that we could be really short.

Presumably Xhaka will be back and available by then. Plus whoever we buy in the transfer window.

Post #537967  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:29 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Presumably Xhaka will be back and available by then. Plus whoever we buy in the transfer window.

*%^@*** hell. I hadn’t thought about that. It’s even worse than I thought

Post #537968  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

*%^@*** hell. I hadn’t thought about that. It’s even worse than I thought

Perhaps the sensible reliable Xhaka will turn up.

Post #537969  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:44 am 

Sky reporting that Nketiah has turned down a contract offer.

To be fair in his situation I’d do the same.

Post #537970  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

Sadly there were reports he was a wife beater.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wiki.n ... 761672/amp

Post #537971  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

"What's going on with Viking ?! Brekalo attacks his own goalkeeper and is sent off in overtime. Incredible scenes."

One of the weirdest things I've seen in football. Bust-up between a keeper and his own defender. The defender shoves the keeper, who takes a dive and gets his own teammate sent off.

:1laughter: lovely.

Post #537972  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:28 pm 

Brighton get a draw. A win tomorrow and we are 4th.

Post #537973  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:40 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

I’m less confident about tomorrow than I would have been if OGS was still in post. It’ll be interesting to see what side Arteta puts out and how they perform. It’ll also be interesting to see if Ronaldo starts.

Post #537974  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Could be, but if his reputation is to be smeared I'd rather see something more convincing than that website!

Post #537975  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I’m less confident about tomorrow than I would have been if OGS was still in post. It’ll be interesting to see what side Arteta puts out and how they perform. It’ll also be interesting to see if Ronaldo starts.
Put your money on a United win - Ronaldo often had our number when we were a really good team, so expect more from him tomorrow. I want to be wrong, but know that I'm right...

Post #537976  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Could be, but if his reputation is to be smeared I'd rather see something more convincing than that website!

I agree, although it wasn’t the only such report.

https://celebsaga.com/former-liverpool- ... net-worth/

Post #537977  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm 

MU in 10th place. Don't ever think they won't be up for it. Carrick might put Ronaldo in early just to get a couple of goals in to warm things up.
Our response will be fascinating, even from first start.Need to turn up.

Post #537978  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Put your money on a United win - Ronaldo often had our number when we were a really good team, so expect more from him tomorrow. I want to be wrong, but know that I'm right...

You may well be right but age inevitably catches up with all players sooner or later. Ronaldo is 36 now and is approaching his 37th birthday in a couple of months (5th February).

So I’m hoping you’re not right.

Post #537979  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think it’s only a disaster if we get injuries.
Start Lacazette, Xhaka will be back or start AMN, Martinelli takes Pépé’s place. It leaves us a bit thin though. Hopefully we can delay the players leaving until the last minute.

Arteta has said he expects a quiet window but would be ready to move quickly if an opportunity arose

Post #537980  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:22 pm 

Good set of results for us tonight. The top 3 are mikes better than anyone else so as much as it’s nice to see the top 3 get beaten we should be wanting them to win every game, those 3 sail off in to the distance whilst making sure they take points off any rival of ours.

West Ham drew, Wolves drew, Leicester drew. We’ve got a little cushion at the moment but could really hammer it home tomorrow if we can get the win

Post #537981  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:50 pm 

Arsenal U21’s beat Ipswich on pens after a 2-2 draw in the Papa John’s trophy. This is a competition prem clubs can enter U21 teams against the men’s teams of EFL clubs and I think Arsenal and Chelsea are the only U21 teams still left in.

Post #537982  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:16 am 

We must start the match with confidence and aggression. Always take the initiative.

Post #537983  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:31 am 

https://tbrfootball.com/arsenal-fans-re ... h-reports/

Sell him in January for some dough. No way he will stay on after being left behind for so long.

Post #537984  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:51 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think it’s only a disaster if we get injuries.
Start Lacazette, Xhaka will be back or start AMN, Martinelli takes Pépé’s place. It leaves us a bit thin though. Hopefully we can delay the players leaving until the last minute.

Arteta has said he expects a quiet window but would be ready to move quickly if an opportunity arose

Lacazette seems rather injury prone these days. I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

Ntekiah?

Post #537985  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:00 am 

Given how last nights results went getting a single point tonight would be a great result. 3 points would be huge.

Feels like a draw. United will be wounded and dangerous

Post #537986  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:39 am 

gooner7 wrote:
https://tbrfootball.com/arsenal-fans-react-on-twitter-to-eddie-nketiah-reports/

Sell him in January for some dough. No way he will stay on after being left behind for so long.

I read Nketiah is able to sign a pre-contract agreement with a non-English club in January to leave for nothing in the summer. Selling him to an English club is the only way to get anything for him and that will relative peanuts.

It’s shame he turned down the opportunity to join Palace last summer, after we’d accepted a realistic offer. I honestly can’t see him getting much game time at Arsenal in his last half season with us. I reckon Arteta would rather play Lacazette than Nketiah, which to be honest I see as a completely understandable decision. Of course, Lacazette’s contract also expires next summer so we’ll presumably be losing both at the end of the season for nothing, or next to nothing if either goes in January.

Post #537987  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:29 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Agreed ..... I'd put Ronaldo and someone else against Tavares .... destroy his confidence ... leave White and Gabriel marking fresh air ... other attackers coming from deep .

I'd love it to be otherwise all our newbies perform well ....... Smith Rowe and Saka have blinders

....... but the United team have copped so much flak in the last couple of weeks , fans will burn the stadium down if they lose to us .

Post #537988  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:52 pm 

The game ending our unbeaten run angers me immensely to this day. It was one of two times the otherwise amicable relationship between Arsenal and Man Utd regulars at the pub in LA came close to...well, lets just say it was tense. The scouse owners sense it, neutrals sensed it. The wrong word or look would have set things off.

The other time was Keown and the players on RVN's back. We were all giving each other a smirk after. I picked up a Londoner friend of mine who was a Man Utd fan and it was the most quiet drive back with a tight lipped 'bye' and no eye contact at the end.

Anyway, one of my biggest post match issues was the media. Calling the dive 'controversial' and similar synonyms or adjectives. Even after clearly seeing it was.

https://www.givemesport.com/1795574-man-utd-vs-arsenal-video-of-all-the-bad-refereeing-decisions-during-infamous-2004-clash

Post #537989  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 pm 

It’s a long time since I’ve watched that again. The sense of injustice and of blatant favouritism that I felt at the time has been rekindled. Truly awful refereeing.

Post #537990  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
It’s a long time since I’ve watched that again. The sense of injustice and of blatant favouritism that I felt at the time has been rekindled. Truly awful refereeing.

And the ref that day Mike ‘man u’ Riley is the head of referees in this country still. Says it all.

I watched a documentary on the Juventus scandal back in 2005, moggi Eason the phone regularly to the head of Italian refs, dictating to him which refs he wanted in which games, making sure players were yellow carded if they were due a suspension against Juve and all out full character assassination of any ref who in his eyes did wrong by Juve. Is it too far fetched to believe this hasn’t or wouldn’t happen in some form in our league?

Post #537991  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:24 pm 

Tavares keeps his place, Martinelli in for Saka who is on the bench and the one that will get Arteta lots of stick is Elneny starts, AMN and Lokonga on the bench

Post #537992  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:29 pm 

Apart from picking Tierney and maybe Lacazette I think the team makes sense. You won’t dominate possession in the first half and elneny is better off the ball than lokonga and AMN and has more experience.

Also it’s the same midfield that did well at old Trafford a little while back.

Won’t stop the manager getting pelters though

Post #537993  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:30 pm 

Lloris is Captain for Spurs and Kane IS playing?

Has this happened before, wasn't Kane club captain?

Post #537994  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:29 pm 

Surely a goal????

Post #537995  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:31 pm 

That's a goal all day long. Once again at OT we get a homer ref. He blew after the goal.

Post #537996  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:31 pm 

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #537997  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:32 pm 

I take it back.

Post #537998  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:32 pm 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. *%^@ YOU. THAT ONE’S FOR YOU OL’ RED NOSE!!

ahem.

Post #537999  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:33 pm 

What a terrible way to concede a goal, my heart goes out to this Man Utd side and their poor fans

Post #538000  Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 pm 

Emile Smith Rowe!!!!!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13447, 13448, 13449, 13450, 13451, 13452, 13453 ... 14269  Next