Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #537921  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 am 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I'd be gloriously happy if you are proved right G7 ......... but at Old Trafford it doesn't seem to matter the make up of the respective teams they beat us .

Maybe I'm thinking too much of the Rooney , Keane , Ferguson days .... we'll see next week . :icon_mrgreen1:

Hey Kiwi, the game is on Thurs not next week :icon_mrgreen:
I'll make sure you'll feel all the glory of happiness on your Friday.

Let's not get pedantic here Raffles Head Porter .... :emoticon_mClapp: whichever day week or month we play those plonkers we will lose ...... No ...?

Post #537922  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Ødegaard needs times. Considering how little he's been in the team, I think he has been fine.

With regard to the striker situation: what has happened to Ntekiah? He's done well when called on this season.

I also thought Ødegaard had a fine match. I didn’t think he was the man of the match as I saw someone call him on another Arsenal chat room. But he played well without being brilliant.

One thing he may need to improve upon is getting into positions more regularly when he can show his creative talents. He often seems to get the ball miles from the opposition goal. Perhaps I’m being unfair with that as at least he shows a willingness to make himself available for passes in deeper areas of the pitch and routinely keeps possession when he does. But his main strength seems to be in the front third of the pitch.

I'd agree with that. He's not a midfield general a la Scholes or Fabregas but more of a Bergkamp in latter years type. His ability to hold the ball and make a pass can do far more damage closer to the opposition box. He also seems a little lightweight to me and could with a few extra pounds of muscle.

Post #537923  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:20 am 

I was thinking 4 points from Man U away and Everton away would be a good return. Whatever we think we can get at Man U we really need to be looking at the Everton game as a game we should win. Everton are in awful form. 5 defeats and 2 draws from their last 7 and the Merseyside derby up next. I can't recall too many easy wins away to Everton but it is the sort of game that will show a lot about where we can hope to finish this season.

Post #537924  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 am 

Apparently Arsenal had bid for Romanian youngster Ianis Stoica:
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/arsena ... ian-mbappe

Post #537925  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 am 

Rich wrote:

A wonderkid eh? Is there any other sort? :laughing7:

Post #537926  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:46 am 

Rich wrote:

If the offer is £6m, and they want £10 plus 20% of any future transfer, the key difference seems to be the 20% of any future transfer. I’ve never heard of him before reading your post, let alone seen him. Have you, because these ‘next Mbappe’ claims could be applied to any kid?

Post #537927  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:54 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyway, while discussing his holdings, I was reminded that he no longer has his Denver sports teams because the NFL has a rule against cross ownership in other cities with professional sports teams. He sold the teams to his wife to get around the rule, but Josh is in charge so he is de factor owner. Completely forgot about him having to do that. His wife doesn't get involved in his business and that was an emergency, unique issue. My gues is they hit very hard times, she'll come in to help but its a last resort as in the sale of the Denver teams.

Doesn’t that show the Kroenke family are linked financially? Just like any married couple.

Post #537928  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

He's certainly lively.

Post #537929  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:47 pm 

I am always nervous us going to OT even when we were good. We really need Saka but we'll see if everyone steps up.

Post #537930  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:57 pm 

Really would like to see Rangnick in charge at OT Thursday. Mainly to see how up for it our young players will be, aside from a more motivated Aubameyang and new signings will be. Should be a huge incentive challenge to get stuck in. No capitulating defeat mentality if MU score a couple of goals. Happens too often players go into OT already mentally out of it.

Post #537931  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

If the offer is £6m, and they want £10 plus 20% of any future transfer, the key difference seems to be the 20% of any future transfer. I’ve never heard of him before reading your post, let alone seen him. Have you, because these ‘next Mbappe’ claims could be applied to any kid?

Never heard of him and never seen him play. Agree the sell on fee is key considering such a reasonably low fee.

Post #537932  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:10 pm 

Saw this stat online: Tomiyasu took 37 touches in the attacking third against Newcastle, his most in an Arsenal shirt. Hector Bellerin took more than 37 touches in that area of the pitch only once last season

Nice to see that Tomiyasu is comfortable doing that because against teams who play so deep we need wide threat from both flanks.

I read Tomiyasu generally plays left centre-back for Japan so he provides some decent versatility and cover across defence.

Post #537933  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm 

Zed wrote:
Really would like to see Rangnick in charge at OT Thursday. Mainly to see how up for it our young players will be, aside from a more motivated Aubameyang and new signings will be. Should be a huge incentive challenge to get stuck in. No capitulating defeat mentality if MU score a couple of goals. Happens too often players go into OT already mentally out of it.

It will be interesting if Ronaldo plays. He goes against everything Rangnick wants in his forwards and tactic. Part of me wants him to play as he offers so little defensive work and throws the balance of their team out. But if a chance drops in the box or someone is needed on the end of a cross there is no player I’d want it to drop to less!

Post #537934  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saw this stat online: Tomiyasu took 37 touches in the attacking third against Newcastle, his most in an Arsenal shirt. Hector Bellerin took more than 37 touches in that area of the pitch only once last season

Nice to see that Tomiyasu is comfortable doing that because against teams who play so deep we need wide threat from both flanks.

I read Tomiyasu generally plays left centre-back for Japan so he provides some decent versatility and cover across defence.

At 17 million quid he looks an absolute steal of a signing when comparing him to other defenders fees

Likewise Tavares which for 8 million quid looks absolute robbery.

You can’t fault our recent transfer business. It’s impressive

Post #537935  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:45 pm 

Saka recently named Luiz as one of if not the most influential and helpful player he’s played with at Arsenal. Despite the bad reputation I think the media unfairly gave Luiz, and one that many Arsenal fans jumped on as well I think it is overlooked how much he did for the younger players behind the scenes. It may be popular opinion that Luiz was a reason for many of our problems over the past 2 seasons but perhaps in the wild ride of post wenger and changing managers, players and hierarchy as we struggled to establish a new identity Luiz was actually someone who was helping to hold things together in the dressing room.

Post #537936  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

At 17 million quid he looks an absolute steal of a signing when comparing him to other defenders fees

Likewise Tavares which for 8 million quid looks absolute robbery.

You can’t fault our recent transfer business. It’s impressive

Tavares at his price is incredible, mainly because of where you think he can get to. I heard someone compare him to when Toure joined, athletic and full of energy but young enough to be able to harness that and improve. The raw ingredients are there for him.

Post #537937  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 pm 

"What's going on with Viking ?! Brekalo attacks his own goalkeeper and is sent off in overtime. Incredible scenes."

One of the weirdest things I've seen in football. Bust-up between a keeper and his own defender. The defender shoves the keeper, who takes a dive and gets his own teammate sent off.

Post #537938  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saka recently named Luiz as one of if not the most influential and helpful player he’s played with at Arsenal. Despite the bad reputation I think the media unfairly gave Luiz, and one that many Arsenal fans jumped on as well I think it is overlooked how much he did for the younger players behind the scenes. It may be popular opinion that Luiz was a reason for many of our problems over the past 2 seasons but perhaps in the wild ride of post wenger and changing managers, players and hierarchy as we struggled to establish a new identity Luiz was actually someone who was helping to hold things together in the dressing room.

I’ve said it before but I think Luiz was a good signing. Apart from the dressing room stuff, which you rightly highlight as positive, I think his performances on the pitch were generally good. A few big mistakes. But generally a fine player with a good attitude. As I say, a good signing who I hope looks back on his time at Arsenal with happy memories.

Post #537939  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 pm 

Just saw an article that Edu admitted to talking to Wenger about a return. Hmm...I am curious to know how Arteta feels about it. It wouldn't be a surprise if he felt he was being underminded. He may welcome him but its tough to say.

Wenger would make a great sporting director. Or even another position.

Post #537940  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 pm 

Rich wrote:

I liked Luiz. Yeah, he was past it but he was a fighter and he played the ball at his feet as good as any CB out there. It's not a surprise he was good for the dressing room.

Post #537941  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:34 pm 

Even without Saka, if we come out like we did against Sperz, we can win this game. But I dare not even ask that of them, for fear of being greatly disappointed.

Post #537942  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:55 pm 

Luiz was okish and the best of the Chelsea pensioners we signed but my goodness I’d rather have Ben White who is something of an unsung hero in the side I feel. Very solid rarely gets praise thats currently lavished on ramsdale but always turns up.

Our transfer business this summer was exceptional. It’s 150 million which is a lot but my goodness did we stretch that budget far.

Post #537943  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:58 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just saw an article that Edu admitted to talking to Wenger about a return. Hmm...I am curious to know how Arteta feels about it. It wouldn't be a surprise if he felt he was being underminded. He may welcome him but its tough to say.

Wenger would make a great sporting director. Or even another position.

Get the impression it would be something Arteta would despise through gritted teeth then smile and say he thinks it’s a great idea.

I’d be really shocked if he supported it despite saying the polar opposite

Post #537944  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

It will be interesting if Ronaldo plays. He goes against everything Rangnick wants in his forwards and tactic. Part of me wants him to play as he offers so little defensive work and throws the balance of their team out. But if a chance drops in the box or someone is needed on the end of a cross there is no player I’d want it to drop to less!

Rangnick if not mistaken, had played a part in Carrick's team set up for the Chelsea game, as Ronaldo was benched. Curious as to how MU team selection will be Thursday.

Post #537945  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:42 pm 

Zed wrote:

He won't be. He's waiting for his visa. They haven't beat us since 2018 so they are due a win. I think Carrick will have then set up to counter as he did against Chelsea.

Post #537946  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:39 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Zed wrote:

He won't be. He's waiting for his visa. They haven't beat us since 2018 so they are due a win. I think Carrick will have then set up to counter as he did against Chelsea.

Thanks Gunfire. News came in Rangnick will possibly miss the Crystal Palace match as well. Also he has to have Covid clearance.

Post #537947  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 pm 

RIP Ray Kennedy

Post #537948  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:01 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
RIP Ray Kennedy
Yes, such a fine young striker for us and later a top midfielder at Liverpool. Life gave him a lot early on but took a lot back later on.

Post #537949  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
RIP Ray Kennedy

Ah man.....that really saddens me. What a player and what a man.....him...a 19 year old.... and Big Raddy upfront for us in our 70/71 double year Scoring at WHL to win us the title and then being an integral part of one of Liverpool's best ever midfields.....travel well Ray.....one of the greatest Gunners ever.

Post #537950  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:17 pm 

I'm a bit vague on this story but while at Liverpool Ray was getting stick from some quarters and Charlie George called him and said "show em your medals, Ray"

If anyone can tell it better than me please do so.

Post #537951  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:49 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
RIP Ray Kennedy

That’s so sad. I didn’t know he’d passed away until reading your post just now. I always felt Radford was the more important of the two strikers but Kennedy was still a fine player.

It came as no surprise to me that he probably showed his best form in midfield for Liverpool. He played for Arsenal in a five a side tournament that they used to hold at Wembley. He was brilliant with a great touch and passing ability. I felt he had ‘I am a midfielder’ written all over him.

Post #537952  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:12 pm 

John Sillett has died. No links to Arsenal, but was Coventry’s manager when they won the FA Cup in 1986, beating Tottenham in the final.

Post #537953  Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:29 pm 

Twelve players who I’ve seen play for the club in a competitive first team fixture have now passed away. They are:

George Armstrong (56), Alan Ball (61), Geoff Barnett (74), Tommy Caton (30), Ray Kennedy (70), Paul Mariner (68), Alan Miller (51), Jose Antonio Reyes (35), John Roberts (69), David Rocastle (33), Kevin Stead (57), Paul Vaessen (39).

I’ve put the ages they were when they died after their names.

Post #537954  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 am 

RIP Ray Kennedy

Post #537955  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:42 am 

Hazuki wrote:

"What's going on with Viking ?! Brekalo attacks his own goalkeeper and is sent off in overtime. Incredible scenes."

One of the weirdest things I've seen in football. Bust-up between a keeper and his own defender. The defender shoves the keeper, who takes a dive and gets his own teammate sent off.

Lol that's hilarious. Don't need a translator to hear the commentators saying "Idiot". :1laughter:

Post #537956  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:41 am 

Attachment:

Post #537957  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Ah man.....that really saddens me. What a player and what a man.....him...a 19 year old.... and Big Raddy upfront for us in our 70/71 double year Scoring at WHL to win us the title and then being an integral part of one of Liverpool's best ever midfields.....travel well Ray.....one of the greatest Gunners ever.

He also scored our goal in the away 1970 Fairs Cup (now called the Europa League) first leg final at Anderlecht. We lost the game 3-1 so that made the 3-0 home win enough to win it.

Post #537958  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

He also scored our goal in the away 1970 Fairs Cup (now called the Europa League) first leg final at Anderlecht. We lost the game 3-1 so that made the 3-0 home win enough to win it.

And he did that having come on as a very late sub when we were 3-0 down and seemingly doomed.

Post #537959  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:39 am 

Shades of Kolasinac (and Özil) here. https://www.news18.com/news/football/wa ... 05912.html

Could have ended really badly. Happened in August so he seems fine after the event.

Post #537960  Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:37 am 

Andy Green wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
RIP Ray Kennedy

Yes, I loved watching him and Big John terrorise defenders with their strength, ball-holding ability and great heading skills. One of our greatest forward combinations.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13446, 13447, 13448, 13449, 13450, 13451, 13452 ... 14269  Next