Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 106 guests

Post #537761  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Just expected a lot more from him. It is not a witch-hunt on him.
Spiteful? Well, if every critical review is spiteful, then I am. And you are being spiteful with me, with your criticism of my opinion. It's ok, does not stop me thinking the same of Ode until he becomes the type of game changing player we need when chips are down.

Maybe spiteful was too strong a word to use. I thought it shortly after making the post, but not within the hour we have to edit posts. So I apologise for using spiteful. Perhaps unreasonable would have been a better word than spiteful. I just think it’s a bit unfair to keep moaning about Ødegaard. There are far bigger negative issues facing the squad than him.

I think his talent is such that there is so much to be pleased about having him. Yes he’s been inconsistent. I’m sorry but that is the nature with so many creative players. Even our own Saka and Smith Rowe, but as academy graduates their poor displays are ignored more. And they have had them. In saying that, I’m not claiming Ødegaard has been as good as either. If we were to sell all three in January I would expect a lot more for Saka, then the second biggest fee for Smith Rowe, then the lowest fee for Ødegaard.

But Ødegaard doesn’t, in my view, deserve the criticism he got from you after the Liverpool defeat when I would say he did more in his.time on the pitch as a substitute than Saka and Smith Rowe did in their time as starters. Also, look at Maddison. The phrases ‘a bit on the edge of things’ or ‘often fails to affect the game’ could have been invented for him. But whereas he would have cost £60+m, at least Ødegaard cost about half that.

I’m more than happy we’ve got Ødegaard and think he could easily become a big part of a more successful future for the club. You imply you’ll continue your criticism until he becomes a game changer when the chips are down. Your moans suggests you were expecting him to change things radically at Anfield. Come on, let’s be realistic. The game was over well before he came on.

Fair comments

Post #537762  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:06 am 

Darn it. Wrote something and I got called away and it timed out. Anyway, as an aside, American university football stadiums have by far the biggest 'atmosphere' in America and I would contend, rival anywhere in the world.

My uni was a top tier sports uni. Our school had in my day around 25,000 students, all programs, undergrad, masters, PhD programs, etc, the city was a small southern college town of 20,000 people. The football stadium seated around 93,000. It was sold out every home game. Not surprising to some extent. There are only about 5 or 6 home games for uni teams. So, they are fairly scarce each season. The top tier schools are almost always sold out for home games going back decades.

The atmosphere that struck me the most with the most aura in my memory is Neyland Stadium at the University of Tennessee, over 100k seater, steps steep, so when you came back from the concession stand and walked down to your seat you felt like you were going to fall down.

In my home state of Pennsylvania, The Penn State stadium at home games was an atmosphere I have rarely if ever seen equaled. It seats at least 105-106k people and you can't hear yourself at all.

The stadium that I thought was the hardest for opposition fans but especially for players is LSU (Lousiana State University) in Baton Rouge. They were in our conference and I have been in town a few times for a game. Seats well over 100k and that swampy, oppressive, Bayou heat beats you down. Over 100,000 people all crammed into a stadium in swamp weather, well...you will lose 2 or 3 kg just being there. Imagine if you are an opposition football team with all that equipment and that helmut trapping that heat under you?

These football programs bring in on average over 50 million dollars annually to the top 15 or 20 programs. Its big money. If they have a good basketball program its tens of millions of more.

Post #537763  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:27 am 

This article does a decent job of summing up the particulars of the upcoming St. Louis vs the NFL, Kroenke, etc, court battle.

My guess? The City will win. The NFL owners are part of the present American 'corporotocracy' that has resulted in America being a large, inept and corrupt super power. The NFL lied and cheated host cities for decades. I have no reason to believe they didn't do the same to St. Louis which is a 2nd tier city in size and power so thought they could easily be brushed aside.

My other guess? The NFL will settle out of court. The potential pay out is too huge. The big question for Kroenke is if or how much the NFL will share in any monetary payout.

Some owners think they (via the league) should not be subject to any part of any settlement since (in their minds), Kroenke's city, Kroenke's deal, so Kroenke's problem. Kroenke could counter that the city got some reassurances from the league either directly or indirectly that they were going to keep the Rams. They spent a lot to keep the Rams happy thinking they were staying when they had already decided to leave.

The city, so far, has a fairly strong case, that they were led to be believe the Rams were staying, spent the money for upgrades that were "agreed to" while Kroenke knew the whole time he had no intention to stay and was just using that for time to put his move to LA in place.

That has happened a few times in other cities, but the difference is these cities didn't file a law suit over it. I don't think the NFL or Kroenke thought St. Louis would. Probably because filing such a lawsuit would make it extremely unlikely the NFL would grant anyone else a franchise in St. Louis. That's the reason other cities didn't. Baltimore lost its team to Indianaopolis via subterfuge but they didn't file a lawsuit and eventually got another team. Implied agreement was don't sue us and we'll make sure you get another team when we can.

I've said before, that American cities don't consider themselves a 'big city' unless they have professional teams, especially an NFL team. Basketball, baseball, and ice hockey sports teams are all well and good but the NFL is for the "biggest, most important" cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Houston, etc.

2nd tier cities want to be one of the big boys and will screw over their own citizens with taxes in order to entice an NFL team or keep their team. Some of these cities were once major cities but fell on hard times due to a plethora of things, among which, the loss of the industrial base. Pittsburgh, provided steel for the nation and much of the world, gave us Carnegie, and other robber barrons of the day, now only has a population of about 300k. There are more people of Korean American ancestry in Los Angeles alone than people in Pittsburgh, to give you some perspective. Same for St. Louis with a similar population. Once hailed as the 'Gateway to the West, because everything moving from one side of the Mississippi river to the other came through there. It gave us the Pulitzer family of newspapers and the prize. Its a shadow of its past glory. Baltimore has over 600k people but that's about a quarter of LA, Chicago, and other cities. Its sandwiched between Washington, DC, Philadelphia and New York and is the least important of the aforementioned.

Possibly similar to Sheffield, Leeds and other cities in the UK for reference but I'm writing that with only nominal knowledge of their histories.

Anyway, my interest is almost solely about how it will affect The Arsenal if or when Kroenke loses the lawsuit. I'd be surprised if they won, unless the judge is a Republican appointee with a capitalist mindset.

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-nf-ls-billion-dollar-mediation-with-st-louis-begins-team-owners-could-wage-war-against-each-other-062242924.html

Post #537764  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am 

Just crossed my mind Willock may be making his return to Arsenal in a Newcastle shirt. I haven't followed him as much as I should. I hope he is doing well and does do well. If he scores in a losing effort for Newcatle, I won't begrudge him. :icon_mrgreen1:

Or just generally plays well in their loss (clean sheet if possible for us).

Post #537765  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 am 

The PSG - Man Utd - Poch situation is also interesting. I'm sure he has his own reasons, but off hand, don't know why he'd want to leave PSG for Man Utd.

Post #537766  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:27 pm 

I've never heard of Stoichkov before happening upon his video. Can't believe I haven't.

Post #537767  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 pm 

I’ve just watched the first part of a BT programme about the breeding grounds of football in South London. It’s called South of the River.

Both fascinating and informative. Well worth a watch if you can.

https://www.bt.com/sport/football/featu ... ocumentary

Post #537768  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:25 pm 

Yet another article on our enigma.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12470760

As they say, despite how well he plays it is hard to see him ever playing for us.

Post #537769  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:50 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

As they say, despite how well he plays it is hard to see him ever playing for us.

I worry he won't want to play for Arteta

Post #537770  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

There is an answer and that's the frustrating thing about it. I can't wait for the documentary on our season. I'm hoping it will shed some light if not sooner.

The club had better have a damn good reason why.

Post #537771  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I worry he won't want to play for Arteta

I honestly couldn’t give a *%^@

I hope we sell the geezer. It’s become so boring listening to people talk about him. If he comes back and does well people will blame arteta for loaning him earlier and and he does badly likewise it’s because of the loan.

Post #537772  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I hope we sell the geezer. It’s become so boring listening to people talk about him. If he comes back and does well people will blame arteta for loaning him earlier and and he does badly likewise it’s because of the loan.

Quite agree TG. Really really boring. It looks increasingly unlikely he'll be happy at Arsenal so sell.

Post #537773  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:44 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Quite agree TG. Really really boring. It looks increasingly unlikely he'll be happy at Arsenal so sell.

Best that we can hope for is that he enhances his transfer out value.

Post #537774  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Tiresome

He makes 2 mistakes in a game that both cost goals it doesn’t get mentioned, has a decent half and makes one decent tackle against mbappe and he’s the next beckenbaur.

Endless articles on the bloke and fans saying they would never forgive the manager if he gets sold.

Honestly I have no idea how our fans would be able to cope these days with a scenario like when George sold fan favourites like Sansom or lukic.

If we decide to sell him this summer and use the money to sign a top class midfielder who adds a new dimension to our team you will still have people moaning about Saliba mark my words.

Post #537775  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Best that we can hope for is that he enhances his transfer out value.

Absolutely, though am I right in thinking he'll only have a year left on his contract come next summer? If so we'll do well to get our money back on him.

Post #537776  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Tiresome

He makes 2 mistakes in a game that both cost goals it doesn’t get mentioned, has a decent half and makes one decent tackle against mbappe and he’s the next beckenbaur.

Endless articles on the bloke and fans saying they would never forgive the manager if he gets sold.

Honestly I have no idea how our fans would be able to cope these days with a scenario like when George sold fan favourites like Sansom or lukic.

If we decide to sell him this summer and use the money to sign a top class midfielder who adds a new dimension to our team you will still have people moaning about Saliba mark my words.

Yes, midfield and up front are areas that need strengthening more than central defence. Gabriel and White are looking excellent and our backup is pretty decent as well.
Arteta clearly has his reasons for why the kid has been sent out on loan. I fancy it might be something to do with attitude and application, perhaps he was demanding to be first choice, I don't know. But Arteta would have kept him and played him if he came problem free. I back Arteta's judgement on this situation.

Post #537777  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:46 pm 

Wow. That’s a serious wedge. Stan Kroenke forced into $790M settlement after NFL dispute. Stan Kroenke faces a law settlement of $790m after the Arsenal owner relocated his NFL franchise from St Louis to Los Angeles back in 2016, which caused a stir in Missouri

Will it affect Arsenal?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... FRao6ORdWQ

Post #537778  Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Wow. That’s a serious wedge. Stan Kroenke forced into $790M settlement after NFL dispute. Stan Kroenke faces a law settlement of $790m after the Arsenal owner relocated his NFL franchise from St Louis to Los Angeles back in 2016, which caused a stir in Missouri

Will it affect Arsenal?

He can sell Saka and S-R to raise some funds

Post #537779  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Will it affect Arsenal?

Bite your tongue and never repeat such *¥!÷¥₩

Post #537780  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:27 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Trust no one.

Post #537781  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Will it affect Arsenal?

If the planets align and its a huge if, he'll be forced to sell Arsenal. That's really our only real hope of extricating ourselves from that family.

A huge settlement though could also mean, Arsenal without investment and living by our wits and good looks like I have done for years. :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #537782  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Trust no one.

Considering the wealth Stan's Walmart heiress wife has this fee shouldn't be an issue. A $790m fee to pay is relatively a speck on the wall. Then there's that brand new Rams So-fi stadium he could draw money against towards it. :angel4:

Post #537783  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:56 pm 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ay-it-all/

From yesterday.

Post #537784  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:20 pm 

Apparently Tottingham have lost to the lowest ranked team in the Europa Conference League...

Post #537785  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 pm 

Bored wrote:
Apparently Tottingham have lost to the lowest ranked team in the Europa Conference League...

I bet Conte is digging out his contract to work out how he can exit.

Post #537786  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:55 pm 

Bored wrote:

Check out the defending from £40m Davison Sanchez for the 94th minute winner.
Conte’s quite after was quite funny, “After three weeks I am starting to understand the situation. It is not simple,” he said. “At this moment the level at Tottenham is not so high“

Post #537787  Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bored wrote:

Conte’s quite after was quite funny, “After three weeks I am starting to understand the situation. It is not simple,” he said. “At this moment the level at Tottenham is not so high“

Let’s hope he takes a couple of years to not be able to sort it out.

Post #537788  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

I can’t see Conte having the patience to stay that long in any case. He only signed up to 18 months. My guess is he’ll ruthlessly root out some under performers and will be given some money to make some signings, who will be experienced players he’s previously worked with or knows well….but it won’t be the money he wants. He’ll look for quick fix and quick results and when they don’t come he’ll leave.

Post #537789  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I can’t see Conte having the patience to stay that long in any case. He only signed up to 18 months. My guess is he’ll ruthlessly root out some under performers and will be given some money to make some signings, who will be experienced players he’s previously worked with or knows well….but it won’t be the money he wants. He’ll look for quick fix and quick results and when they don’t come he’ll leave.

Yes, I think he has the personality to just walk away if he is not happy.

Post #537790  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:04 am 

Saw highlights of Marseilles defeat against Galatasaray this week just now

Saliba had another mare. Cost his team another 2 goals, one where he needlessly tried to dribble the ball out then lost it then another when he was asleep for a free kick.

Post #537791  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am 

Seen a few reports that Xhaka is set to return to training ahead of schedule. With Partey off to ACN in mid december we need him back

Post #537792  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:43 am 

Arsenal have 9 games between Saturday and the end of the year. 9 games in 32 days. We will need to see some rotation. Sunderland at home in the cup QF is the obvious place to start.

I wonder whether it is time to bring Ødegaard back in for Lacazette, particularly for a game like Newcastle at home where in theory we should be more dominant in possession and territory and may require some more guile and creativity.

Id expect Tierney to come back in and there should be some more minutes for Pépé, Martinelli, Holding, AMN over the next month.

One thing is for sure we need to avoid injuries to key players in this period. timing is crucial with injuries, get a 3 week knock as an International break comes up and you might miss 1 club game, get one in the coming month and you could miss 6 or 7

Post #537793  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:45 am 

Zed wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Trust no one.

Considering the wealth Stan's Walmart heiress wife has this fee shouldn't be an issue. A $790m fee to pay is relatively a speck on the wall. Then there's that brand new Rams So-fi stadium he could draw money against towards it. :angel4:

Hi Zed. The net worth of Ann Kroenke is $9.6b. With Stan’s net worth of $10.7b, as a couple together they’re therefore worth a net $20.3b. $790m is 4.1% of $20.3b. Obviously they’d rather not lose 4.1% of their family fortune but it’s not going to leave them in poverty if it happens. They won’t be moving from whichever of their huge ranches they reside in the most to sleeping in a cardboard box on the streets of the roughest part of Los Angeles.

Interestingly, the net worth of the Kroenke’s together ($20.3b) is actually more than the net worth of Manchester City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour who has $20.0b.

Post #537794  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Saliba had another mare. Cost his team another 2 goals, one where he needlessly tried to dribble the ball out then lost it then another when he was asleep for a free kick.

and your point is?

Post #537795  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:17 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

and your point is?

TG's point is that he's highly annoyed whenever anyone has an agenda against a particular Arsenal player, and that singling out one bad performance - as if any player doesn't occasionally make mistakes - is typical of the modern-day, Johnny-come-lately try-hard who calls themselves a fan. So, he'd certainly never do the same.

Post #537796  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hi Zed. The net worth of Ann Kroenke is $9.6b. With Stan’s net worth of $10.7b, as a couple together they’re therefore worth a net $20.3b. $790m is 4.1% of $20.3b. Obviously they’d rather not lose 4.1% of their family fortune but it’s not going to leave them in poverty if it happens. They won’t be moving from whichever of their huge ranches they reside in the most to sleeping in a cardboard box on the streets of the roughest part of Los Angeles.

Interestingly, the net worth of the Kroenke’s together ($20.3b) is actually more than the net worth of Manchester City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour who has $20.0b.

But Arsenal is nothing to do with his wife. So Kroenke's wealth is half of Mansour's essentially. Not sure why you keep mentioning her wealth as if she she should or could be helping in funding Arsenal.

What are your thoughts on this government led report on football governance? Some interesting points in there.

Post #537797  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

and your point is?

None really I was just making an observation

Post #537798  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:40 pm 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But Arsenal is nothing to do with his wife. So Kroenke's wealth is half of Mansour's essentially. Not sure why you keep mentioning her wealth as if she she should or could be helping in funding Arsenal.

What are your thoughts on this government led report on football governance? Some interesting points in there.

Isn’t it normal for married couples to have a range of individual and joint accounts? Me and my wife certainly do, and so do every married couple we know.

As you probably know, I collect fine wine. If I had the opportunity to buy some cases of an extraordinarily expensive wine that I couldn’t afford from my own personal accounts, would my wife let me use money from our joint accounts to buy it? Yes of course she would. If we still didn’t have enough from my personal and our joint accounts, if I convinced her it was a good investment, she’d also give me money from her own personal accounts?

Likewise, married couples routinely buy their properties together, not separately. We simply do not treat our money as hers or mine. Our family’s wealth is her and my money together.

Maybe you and your wife are different Darren. But if you are, I suspect you would be in a minority, certainly from the friends and family we know. I therefore believe it is relevant to consider Ann as well as Stan’s fortunes when considering the wealth of the Kroenke’s.

Sorry but I haven’t yet read the government led report on football governance.

Post #537799  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

and your point is?

None really I was just making an observation

very observant :42laughter:

Post #537800  Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

and your point is?

TG's point is that he's highly annoyed whenever anyone has an agenda against a particular Arsenal player, and that singling out one bad performance - as if any player doesn't occasionally make mistakes - is typical of the modern-day, Johnny-come-lately try-hard who calls themselves a fan. So, he'd certainly never do the same.

:1laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13442, 13443, 13444, 13445, 13446, 13447, 13448 ... 14269  Next