Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 86 guests

Post #536361  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:09 pm 

Man U have 2 wins in 7 and both are those wins we’re last minute winners having been outplayed. The longer Ole stays as their manager the better. Most opposition fans would say the same and that should be pretty deafening for them.

Post #536362  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:10 pm 

After tomorrow’s games we play twice before anyone else, both games at home. 6 points from those 2 games would have us probably in 4/5th. Need to take advantage of these games

Post #536363  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:37 am 

I don't know many hard core Man Utd fans but the few I know what OGS out. One guy said the board is just waiting for an excuse that everyone can accept. Everytime he gets a bad run of games, he said OGS pulls a big win out of his Arsenal and saves his job.

They think the job is way too big for him. He wants either a big name manager or Neville if they stay inside the club. But prefers going outside.

Post #536364  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know many hard core Man Utd fans but the few I know what OGS out. One guy said the board is just waiting for an excuse that everyone can accept. Everytime he gets a bad run of games, he said OGS pulls a big win out of his Arsenal and saves his job.

They think the job is way too big for him. He wants either a big name manager or Neville if they stay inside the club. But prefers going outside.

He’s totally out of his depth. He played a team yesterday with Ronaldo, Greenwood, Sancho, Fernandes and Pogba. I don’t think any of them work hard without the ball and they can’t press. Add in that the defensive shield is Matic who is so immobile and slow. It’s a team that’s been put together at huge expense and yes when they face a team equally as disorganised off the ball they will steamroller them with their talent but plenty more teams will turn them over or give them a helluva game simply by being bang on it without the ball

Post #536365  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:09 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U have 2 wins in 7 and both are those wins we’re last minute winners having been outplayed. The longer Ole stays as their manager the better. Most opposition fans would say the same and that should be pretty deafening for them.

Morning Rich. Must admit I’m confused by your comment about being pleased Manchester United were beaten by Leicester (in post 536355) and then shortly after (in post 536359) you say the longer OGS stays in post the better, which I agree with. In my view the word ‘contradictory’ could have been invented to describe your posts 536355 and 536359.

Myself, while I don’t want Manchester United to go on a winning run that brings them success or trophies, I am happy to see them winning enough games to keep OGS in his job. I don’t dislike Leicester but I’ve no affinity with them. I would have felt perfectly comfortable with Manchester United beating them yesterday.

Post #536366  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 pm 

Germany has some talented young players coming through in the next generation. Florian Wirtz plays for Bayer Leverkusen, 18 years old, forward, 6 goals and 5 assists in 8 games so far this season. Already has 4 caps for the senior national team.

Also worth keeping an eye on Kameldeen Sulemana, young Rennes winger who tore PSG apart at the weekend. Absolute pace to burn.

We're going to need a bit of an overhaul in our strikers/forwards soon. With the likes of Saka/Emile Smith Rowe/Ødegaard seemingly cemented for the long term it will be important to get someone in to compliment them, for me that means blistering pace. I'd much rather we go for a younger forward with great athletic ability and pace than a Giroud type (not a dig at Giroud btw).

Post #536367  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Morning Rich. Must admit I’m confused by your comment about being pleased Manchester United were beaten by Leicester (in post 536355) and then shortly after (in post 536359) you say the longer OGS stays in post the better, which I agree with. In my view the word ‘contradictory’ could have been invented to describe your posts 536355 and 536359.

Myself, while I don’t want Manchester United to go on a winning run that brings them success or trophies, I am happy to see them winning enough games to keep OGS in his job. I don’t dislike Leicester but I’ve no affinity with them. I would have felt perfectly comfortable with Manchester United beating them yesterday.

Haha, well I don't think that single defeat will get Ole the sack. I said I was pleased because it was another poor Man U performance for which they deserved to be punished as they have an annoying ability to squeeze undeserved wins from such performances. Then the comment about keeping Ole is because I don't think they'll challenge anything with him there. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm contradicting myself just hoping for that fine line between Man U getting their comeuppance but still retaining faith in Ole - similar to yourself from what you've posted

Post #536368  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:07 pm 

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1449 ... 82214?s=20

Arsenal twitter posted this our 49th unbeaten game. 3-1 win v Villa at home. Watch the second Arsenal goal and see how quickly and easily we moved the ball from defence to midfield, lethal and clinical. However, the team was very good at doing this but the premier league is a much better league now than it was back then. Very few teams in the league would let this play happen now - unopposed line-breaking passing with a nice high line for a deadly striker.

There was a tipping point maybe about 6 years or so ago (as my best guess) where the TV money in the prem went astronomical, far superseding match day revenue. Of course the rich got very rich but it also meant that even teams at the bottom of the prem could easily outspend all but maybe 15 or so teams in the whole of the rest of Europe. You had teams at the bottom of the league being able to spend £30m on players, not all with great success but there are some very good players now in the lower parts of the league. I rarely see this sort of easy to play against set up that was often the case in 2003-4, and this isn't to downplay how good the invincibles were but the caliber of teams from 6th-14th is miles better today

Post #536369  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1449447238757982214?s=20

Arsenal twitter posted this our 49th unbeaten game. 3-1 win v Villa at home. Watch the second Arsenal goal and see how quickly and easily we moved the ball from defence to midfield, lethal and clinical. However, the team was very good at doing this but the premier league is a much better league now than it was back then. Very few teams in the league would let this play happen now - unopposed line-breaking passing with a nice high line for a deadly striker.

There was a tipping point maybe about 6 years or so ago (as my best guess) where the TV money in the prem went astronomical, far superseding match day revenue. Of course the rich got very rich but it also meant that even teams at the bottom of the prem could easily outspend all but maybe 15 or so teams in the whole of the rest of Europe. You had teams at the bottom of the league being able to spend £30m on players, not all with great success but there are some very good players now in the lower parts of the league. I rarely see this sort of easy to play against set up that was often the case in 2003-4, and this isn't to downplay how good the invincibles were but the caliber of teams from 6th-14th is miles better today

Thanks for posting the Villa game clip. One of our great games imo. Totally destroyed Villa that day even though, completely against run of play they went goal up. Recall very clearly when it was 3-1 that I couldn’t imagine anything would ever change. Ho hum.
I think, a couple of weeks later, I saw a DVD of game on sale for £10 outside Arsenal tube and, to my great regret, was in a rush and didn’t buy it. Never saw DVD again but still often think and talk bout that game. A wonderful afternoon.

Post #536370  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1449447238757982214?s=20

Very few teams in the league would let this play happen now - unopposed line-breaking passing with a nice high line for a deadly striker.

Agreed. The passing was ridiculously easy. Each time our players were able to turn and run in the opponents half. Very few if any Prem teams would allow that today.

Post #536371  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm contradicting myself just hoping for that fine line between Man U getting their comeuppance but still retaining faith in Ole - similar to yourself from what you've posted

Neither did I in the spirit of what you wrote...oh well. lol

Post #536372  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
. So I wouldn't necessarily say I'm contradicting myself just hoping for that fine line between Man U getting their comeuppance but still retaining faith in Ole - similar to yourself from what you've posted

Neither did I in the spirit of what you wrote...oh well. lol

Rich said he was pleased United lost at Leicester then implied the longer OGS stays in post the worse it’ll be for them. While I agree yesterday’s result won’t be enough to get him the sack, it’s obvious that, added to other poor results, will together contribute to him eventually losing his job.

And what makes you hypocritical American is calling other people a troll. You had to get involved, didn’t you? Even though you lack the courage to include my post in the quote.

Post #536373  Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:40 pm 

This series of games before the next international break is where Arteta will need to demonstrate progress. Three home games and Leicester away. 10 points will be par for course I would have thought.

The games that follow up to New Year have some difficult games.

Post #536374  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
This series of games before the next international break is where Arteta will need to demonstrate progress. Three home games and Leicester away. 10 points will be par for course I would have thought.

In the last couple of weeks, Man United have played two of those same fixtures - at home to Villa and away to Leicester - and lost them both. Three wins and a draw would be nice, but 'par for the course' probably makes it sound a fraction easier than it is.

Post #536375  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:26 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

In the last couple of weeks, Man United have played two of those same fixtures - at home to Villa and away to Leicester - and lost them both. Three wins and a draw would be nice, but 'par for the course' probably makes it sound a fraction easier than it is.

If we are to be in with a shout of Europa League next season I think we must win these games at home. Every team has some period of really poor play and drops points. We will have some hard games after this period. I need to see some real consistent improvement and now is the time to deliver. Spurs was one step forward and Brighton one back after less than convincing performances against Norwich and Burnley. Tactically I will watch with a lot of interest.

Post #536376  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 am 

It will be 3am for me when Arsenal kicks off against Palace today. Hope the team play fast and furious football to keep me awake.

Post #536377  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:35 am 

I'm hoping my feed shows the crowd reaction when Vieira enters the grounds. The only time I can think of when he appeared after he left was our fantastic run to the final in the CL. Didn't Pires (of all people) pick his pocket that set up a goal? He was at Juve I think.

Other than that has Vieira been as part of the opposition?

Post #536378  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:37 am 

...and I wouldn't be suprised if Henry, Pires or any other invincible is in attendance.

Post #536379  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 am 

:42laughter:

Attachments:

Post #536380  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:44 am 

Moyes is continuing a bang up job at West Ham. He's continued the great form from last season. Always liked him. Felt badly for his stint at Man Utd even though I was happy to see them implode. I wish it had been someone else.

He might get another bite at a big club apple if he keeps punching above his weight class.

Post #536381  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:16 am 

Two wins in our two home games puts us in the top 4. Others will have games in hand but it would be a significant marker and turnaround.

Of course last year we only took 1 point from these next two fixtures so we need to play well

Post #536382  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 am 

George Graham interview in fourfourtwo this month, spotted an interesting quote as Graham describes the system of his back 4. He said he did sessions where he would have Seaman, the back 4 and a holding mid and they would be up against the youth team, the youth team always had the ball and the back 4 just had to move as a unit. They weren’t allowed to go in to their own box because that was Seaman’s area. The offsides flowed.
Graham also said “we always played in an arc, so the two centre halves would be organising the offside all the time, when we had the ball Dixon would make a run and then the back 4 became a back 3….”

So Graham was doing this before Pep and before Arteta

Post #536383  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:04 am 

Rich wrote:
George Graham interview in fourfourtwo this month, spotted an interesting quote as Graham describes the system of his back 4. He said he did sessions where he would have Seaman, the back 4 and a holding mid and they would be up against the youth team, the youth team always had the ball and the back 4 just had to move as a unit. They weren’t allowed to go in to their own box because that was Seaman’s area. The offsides flowed.
Graham also said “we always played in an arc, so the two centre halves would be organising the offside all the time, when we had the ball Dixon would make a run and then the back 4 became a back 3….”

So Graham was doing this before Pep and before Arteta

I've heard it wasn't just the alcoholism that did Clough in but football had progressed past him and he didn't change enough it all.

Bung scandal aside, could the same criticism be made of Graham?

Post #536384  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:07 am 

Rich wrote:
Two wins in our two home games puts us in the top 4. Others will have games in hand but it would be a significant marker and turnaround.

Of course last year we only took 1 point from these next two fixtures so we need to play well

The palace forums seem to think they can nick a point without much of a problem, even nick a win if the planets align. I get the feeling they are a bit too exuberant about their present form.

Anyway, Palace and Villa will both be tough to beat. I can see winning one and drawing one. Two draws wouldn't raise an eyebrow on me either.

Post #536385  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:20 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Wonder what post this was about? A reaction to 536370 perhaps? What other possibility is there? Because if it was 536370, it proves you must read my posts, so haven’t blocked me, after all. Having said that, you came close to revealing that a while back with your ‘next post’ reaction to one of my replies to Pod (or is it Pode)? Sure, you didn’t actually quote that post, like you haven’t today. But in both cases, it’s hard to see what else you could have been reacting to and I suspect you realised that as you edited the one a while back.

Post #536386  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Wonder what post this was about? A reaction to 536370 perhaps? What other possibility is there? Because if it was 536370, it proves you must read my posts, so haven’t blocked me, after all. Having said that, you came close to revealing that a while back with your ‘next post’ reaction to one of my replies to Pod (or is it Pode)? Sure, you didn’t actually quote that post, like you haven’t today. But in both cases, it’s hard to see what else you could have been reacting to and I suspect you realised that as you edited the one a while back.

Don't know why you bother Bernard.

AG is so far up his own backside, he meets himself on the way out.

Post #536387  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 am 

£90m for Ox, Iwobi and Willock has been really good business for Arsenal. Young and homegrown always sells well in the premier league.

Post #536388  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:47 pm 

Colin Powell, military leader and first Black US secretary of state, dies after complications from Covid-19

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/18/poli ... index.html

Post #536389  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm 

With the sole exception of the Iraq war lie (and it was a doozy), he's one of the rare Republicans with some sense of honor and decency. He redeemed himself to some extent post Bush years. He supported Obama over McCain (after he choose that looney Sarah Palin), and he supported Hillary over Trump. This cost him his place in the party. His 'Powell Doctrine' (never fight a war that doesn't have popular support , it has to be winnable and an exit strategy) still has some lingering sentiment.

One of the few Republicans I liked because he had some integrity.

Post #536390  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
£90m for Ox, Iwobi and Willock has been really good business for Arsenal. Young and homegrown always sells well in the premier league.

Hadn't realized it was that much. I recall being surprised at how much we got for Ox and Iwobi at the time but I forgot about it.

We got short changed on Mustafi. :42laughter:

Post #536391  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:08 pm 

No zaha for Palace.
Arsenal back in the 4-1-4-1 formation with Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard as the two central no.8’s

Post #536392  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
No zaha for Palace.
Arsenal back in the 4-1-4-1 formation with Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard as the two central no.8’s

Ir's 4-2-3-1 formation according to BBC sport website. Unless it's been changed.

Post #536393  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:42 pm 

I think with Zaha out it will be tough for Palace to get more than a draw. They may even park the bus.

Post #536394  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 pm 

Toon fans want Bruce out. But I think it would be fair to see how he does with all the new money coming in. Give him a season (or two) with a big transfer budget. I think eventually they'd get rid of him but at least let him give it a go with the money that is now available.

Post #536395  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:52 pm 

The pundit said we are one of the youngest sides in the league. I hadn't realized our average age was that young.

Post #536396  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 pm 

Aubameyang! 1-0

Post #536397  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 pm 

Aubameyang :21encouragement: sharp finishers goal :53big-emoticons:

Post #536398  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 pm 

Lovely one-two between Tomiyasu and Pépé, Pépé curls his trademark shot to the far corner, gk makes a good save but Aubameyang volley in the rebound from a very tight angle - made the finish look a lot easier than it was.

Wonderful to get the early goal

Post #536399  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:10 pm 

Pépé fancies it.

Great play with him and tommy

Post #536400  Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:10 pm 

Fantastic goal not withstanding, but what have they put in Aubameyang’s tea tonight?

He seems very enthusiastic and energized, much more than I’ve seen for some time.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13407, 13408, 13409, 13410, 13411, 13412, 13413 ... 14269  Next