Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 102 guests

Post #536321  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:11 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Fury vs. Wilder III was a great spectacle. Not boring at all. Fury, deserved winner. Congratulations to him.
However....truth is both did well in a weak boxing era. The heavyweight division is weak and has been for some time. Neither figher (and I'll include Joshua, Klitschko, and others) wouldn't have survived against the best heavyweights of the '90s.

None of the aforementioned would have gotten past a prime, Lewis, Tyson, Bowe, Moorer, Holeyfield and possibly against the old 90s versions of Foreman and Holmes and certainly no chance of either in their prime.

I consider the 70s the greatest heavyweight era, ever. There were guys in that decade who were never champion would have been even in the '90s possibly and certainly in the new century.
Yes, agree with all that. Can't help liking Fury though - brings something interesting to the ring every time he fights.

He's a showman and decent at it, but the singing was cheesy. He seems a good sort though, best of luck to him. Not sure if he can get to Marciano's record at his age. Maybe he's not thought of it, but he's dangerously close and nothing a few easy fights can't fix. :7laughter:

Post #536322  Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:16 pm 

International goals for Aubameyang, Pépé, Saka, Partey, Smith Rowe and Tavares this week

Post #536323  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 am 

I see a report Mike Dean has our Palace game. So what could go wrong.

Post #536324  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:40 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see a report Mike Dean has our Palace game. So what could go wrong.

What could go wrong?
It is when we play like we did against BHA.
We need to take initiative of our own destiny.
Play like we did against Spurs and put Palace on the defensive from the start.

Post #536325  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:16 am 

Tomiyasu playing CB for Japan against Australia in world cup qualifier.

Interestingly playing on left side of central defence.

Post #536326  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 am 

Matt Ryan with some very fine saves for Australia.

Post #536327  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:25 pm 

Exiled knows a lot about Arsenal history irrespective of the fact he trolled me mercilessly...lol..Someone, who knows him, may want to contact him to help Philip Jelf out. Good luck in finding the information Philip.

Post #536328  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:37 pm 

It will be very interesting how Newcastle's new sugar daddy will affect the league. If recent history is any evidence, they will likely eventually be champions at some point (within 10 years is how its usually been shaping up). And a CL win as well (City still waiting for theres but I doubt anyone thinks they won't ever achieve it).

They'll likely start out like City did. Throwing money at whomever with quality who will come for it. Bruce will eventually get sacked I'm guessing if he can't produce right away. Unfair but I'm guessing that will be the scenario after a huge amount of spending on a hodge podge of players.

This won't bode well for us. After seeing the docu on Sunderland, I'd be a little bit happier if they were ones with the sugar daddy. But can't help but feel a wee bit for the long suffering toon fans.

The football I first became a fan of is pretty much dead. We'll likely see City, Chelsea, Newcastle as permanent fixtures in the top 4-6, Liverpool, Man Utd somewhere among them...might as well throw in Leicester. They have proven they are resiliant and I have a wee bit more respect for them despite their being owned by big money.

I think Tottenham's run is going to wind down. Kane is 28, Son is 29, Lloris is 34. They'll need replacing. I thin Tottenham will be up and down in a few years.

So, where does this all leave us? Probably not good. Unless Mikel can get all these moving parts working together.

Post #536329  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:33 pm 

Juph123 wrote:
Hi
While searching my family tree, I have come across a newspaper obituary cutting stating that one of my Grandfather's proudest moments was having been a member of Woolwich Arsenal Football team with whom he played inside-left.
My Grandfather was Samuel Henry Timpson, one of the brothers that owned Timpson's coaches, (1886-1967).
Born in Woolwich, in 1900 he lived at 2 Woodhurst Road, Plumstead.
If anyone has any information regarding him, (eg. Old photos that he might have been in), or dates that he played, I would very much like to know.
Thank you for your help
Regards
Philip Jelf

Hello. The club’s official handbook often (it didn’t in the handbook for season 2020/21, for example) produces an alphabetical listing of the names and playing details (number of games, years of their first and last games, goals scored and for keepers clean sheets) in competitive first team games.

The handbook for 2021/22 hasn’t come out yet. But the list was produced in the 2019/20 handbook. The introduction to the listing said 864 players had at that point played for Arsenal’s first team in competitive matches. I’m afraid there isn’t anyone with the surname Timpson. The names either side of where your grandfather would have been is a Peter Tilley who played one game in 1953 and a Joe Toner who played 100 games and scored 6 goals between 1919 and 1925.

If your grandfather was born in 1886 he’d have been 20 in 1906. I might be wrong but I’ve always had the impression that youngsters were a bit older when they made their debuts then, than they often are now. Let me say I could be completely wrong about that. But it’s my impression. Let’s say your grandfather was an exception to my impression. He’d have been 17 in 1903.

The handbook listing does have records of players earlier than that. Random examples are a Sam Mills who played 25 games and scored 3 goals in 1895 and 1896; a James Moir who played 45 games between 1898 and 1900; and a Peter Mortimer who played 48 games and scored 23 goals from 1894 to 1896. Around the same sort of period that your grandfather presumably would have played there was a Jackie Mordue who played 28 games and scored 1 goal from 1907 to 1908.

Hope this is helpful and informative, even if it’s not what you were hoping to hear. But I can’t find any evidence in the handbook list, which is surely Arsenal’s own official record, of your grandfather Samuel Timpson having played for the club.

Post #536330  Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:46 pm 

I believe Gaz from Oz has asked similar questions about Saliba’s longer term intentions regarding his career at Arsenal?

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #536331  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
I believe Gaz from Oz has asked similar questions about Saliba’s longer term intentions regarding his career at Arsenal?

I think he has already left us mentally. But he is not silly. He will say that he wants to get back to Arsenal but it would not shock me if refuses moves to clubs and just holds out for a free transfer. I thought he was treated poorly by Arteta who apparently only watched him in 2 pre season games. He’s not the only player at the club who will be thinking about not being given chances IMO. But then again I am sure there are people on here who will have a different view.

Post #536332  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:46 am 

I'm sure I read yesterday that after his last International appearance Arteta is now interested in bringing him home.

Not sure what he's going to do with him though?

Post #536333  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:30 am 

Hope the reports are wrong and we don’t touch the Ox with a bargepole.

If we have to go there a 6 month loan in January to provide cover.

Post #536334  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I have to agree with you on this one. Oxlade-Chamberlain isn’t the worst player I’ve seen play for the club by a long way. But he’s probably just as far from being the best. Perhaps I’m being a little over-harsh but for me the word ‘average’ could have been invented to describe him.

Post #536335  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think he has already left us mentally. But he is not silly. He will say that he wants to get back to Arsenal but it would not shock me if refuses moves to clubs and just holds out for a free transfer. I thought he was treated poorly by Arteta who apparently only watched him in 2 pre season games. He’s not the only player at the club who will be thinking about not being given chances IMO. But then again I am sure there are people on here who will have a different view.

For me, I will be sad to see him leave Arsenal. But, Arteta did not give him sufficient opportunities at the club. I still think that refusal to let him play in the French Cup Final is a significant matter on Saliba's mind.

Post #536336  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I have to agree with you on this one. Oxlade-Chamberlain isn’t the worst player I’ve seen play for the club by a long way. But he’s probably just as far from being the best. Perhaps I’m being a little over-harsh but for me the word ‘average’ could have been invented to describe him.

I think he’s better than average and certainly better than AMN and elnenny I’m just fed up with the notion these twats can treat the club like shite and we just invite them back when they can’t get a game or contract elsewhere. Resigning Flamini never sat well with me either.

The only exception I’d make to this rule was not resigning Cesc which was a ridiculous decision.

Post #536337  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think he’s better than average and certainly better than AMN and elnenny I’m just fed up with the notion these twats can treat the club like shite and we just invite them back when they can’t get a game or contract elsewhere. Resigning Flamini never sat well with me either.

The only exception I’d make to this rule was not resigning Cesc which was a ridiculous decision.

I don’t think Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (AOC) ever played as well for Arsenal as Elneny did in that game he had at Old Trafford, whenever it was. Sure, it may have been a one off but on the evidence of that I’d say Elneny’s best is better than what I’d expect we’d get from AOC. I’d certainly rather have AMN than AOC, despite AMN’s lack of passing ability. At least he’d win you the ball more often.

As a general rule I’m not a fan of bringing old players back either, although it was exciting to see Henry back in the shirt and Sol was still, as I recall DHD saying, our best central defender on his return on loan. Not bringing Fabregas back never really bothered me, especially as I understood Wenger’s reason for not doing it.

I just think the club should try and move forward rather than live in the past and bring old players back. I understand there may be occasions when it can bring benefits. But whatever Kroenke is doing to us, Arsenal is still bigger than any single player, including Fabregas let alone AOC. Long after everyone who ever saw Fabregas is six foot under, I’m sure there will still be an Arsenal FC despite KSE.

Post #536338  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Bernard, would you take Gnabry back?

Post #536339  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (AOC) ever played as well for Arsenal as Elneny did in that game he had at Old Trafford, whenever it was. Sure, it may have been a one off but on the evidence of that I’d say Elneny’s best is better than what I’d expect we’d get from AOC. I’d certainly rather have AMN than AOC, despite AMN’s lack of passing ability. At least he’d win you the ball more often.

Ox had several good games for us Bernard you must have forgotten. Do you remember when RVP was going crazy at wenger when he subbed him againest man united when he was having an absolute stormer? He also had a few real great games in the champions league including one againest Milan plus I remember him playing in centre midfield in a game at st marys where he showed his full array of short and long range passing in an impressive game.

Still wouldn’t resign him but he’s streets ahead of AMN and El Nenny in terms of technical ability when he’s on the pitch

Post #536340  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ox had several good games for us Bernard you must have forgotten. Do you remember when RVP was going crazy at wenger when he subbed him againest man united when he was having an absolute stormer? He also had a few real great games in the champions league including one againest Milan plus I remember him playing in centre midfield in a game at st marys where he showed his full array of short and long range passing in an impressive game.

Still wouldn’t resign him but he’s streets ahead of AMN and El Nenny in terms of technical ability when he’s on the pitch

I never said AOC didn’t have several good games. Of course he did. But in them he never reached the level of that single game Elneny had at Old Trafford. That’s my point.

I’m not talking of technical ability either. I would agree if you were rating AOC, Elneny and AMN in terms of skill, AOC would come top. But having more talent on the ball than the others didn’t stop AOC from having many average games. Alan Hudson had as much skill as practically anyone I’ve seen play for the club. But he had many games in which he underachieved.

It’s not only about skill. If it was, Hudson would be one of the greatest Arsenal players of the last fifty years. But he isn’t. Not even close, despite being one of the most gifted.

Post #536341  Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard, would you take Gnabry back?

I would certainly consider it, but it wouldn’t sit comfortably with me. It’s not like he’s one of the best Bayern players of all time anyway. I’d rather the club look for a new forward from elsewhere than getting Gnabry from Bayern.

As I say, my natural inclination is to look forward than bringing back former players. It’s just the way my attitude is regarding football signings. If I was an Atletico fan I wouldn’t favour trying to buy Partey back.

Post #536342  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 am 

I was actually a fan of the U.S. women's national team in football before I was an Arsenal fan. I am still a bigger fan of them than I am the men's team. The women play vastly more exciting football than the men's team.

I also slightly followed the Arsenal women's team and would include them in things to watch when I visit England. I recall our women's team team being heads and shoulders better than anyone else.

However, the football that has corrupted the EPL seems to have done the same with the women's league. Chelsea have now been dominating domestic women's football. Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are the only sides that have won titles in the last 10 years. Even though City have only won 1 title they were runner ups 5 times which attests to how much money they have put into it. I don't know if women teams have the same FFP rules but even if they do, it would appear that they have the same effect as the men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... _champions

Post #536343  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 pm 

A super computer has predicted the final Premier League placings at the end of the season. It makes Chelsea title winners by ten points, has Watford surviving and Arsenal in thirteenth place. If Arsenal finish thirteenth after the money spent in the transfer market and the talent coming through the youth academy, I think Arteta will be getting his P45 in a plain brown envelope as soon as the season ends.

I went through the strength of the overall squad fairly recently as well the first team. Arsenal should get a Europa League place in my view.

Myself, I suspect the anticipated table was put together by the first electric toothbrush ever made that is now not only out of date but worn out. A super computer? Yeah right. I’ve had pocket calculators more ‘super’.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #536344  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 pm 

I thought this was kinda cool. Kids recreating the M*A*S*H cast.

Attachments:

Post #536345  Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:13 pm 

It will be surreal seeing Vieira again in this incarnation. Obviously hope we win but not a hiding. One of my fave players with a club I have a soft spot for.

Post #536346  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
A super computer has predicted the final Premier League placings at the end of the season. It makes Chelsea title winners by ten points, has Watford surviving and Arsenal in thirteenth place. If Arsenal finish thirteenth after the money spent in the transfer market and the talent coming through the youth academy, I think Arteta will be getting his P45 in a plain brown envelope as soon as the season ends.

I went through the strength of the overall squad fairly recently as well the first team. Arsenal should get a Europa League place in my view.

Myself, I suspect the anticipated table was put together by the first electric toothbrush ever made that is now not only out of date but worn out. A super computer? Yeah right. I’ve had pocket calculators more ‘super’.

The supercomputer came up with some controversial predictions there, but I think we can all agree that Brentford will qualify for the Champions League.

Post #536347  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:20 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The supercomputer came up with some controversial predictions there, but I think we can all agree that Brentford will qualify for the Champions League.

Good point. I should have mentioned that one.

Post #536348  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:18 am 

Morning Chums

Neither I nor any of my family or friends can make it to the Liverpool away game this season – Sat 20 Nov 5:30 pm – (it's on SKY).

So does anybody want 2 tickets for the match? PM me if you do. I’d need to apply today or tomorrow.

Post #536349  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:24 am 

Bernard wrote:

Predicts we're getting just 1 more away point this season.

That's a seriously pessimistic toothbrush.

Post #536350  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Predicts we're getting just 1 more away point this season.

That's a seriously pessimistic toothbrush.

Was the super computer some of the sky commentators, on the turps, writing down where they hope teams will finish.

Post #536351  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:32 pm 

Noa Lang for Pepé in January.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-21854834

Post #536352  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:39 pm 

Zed wrote:

Football London is an absolutely shite website. It's pure clickbait.

Post #536353  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:22 pm 

Man U will have to play their 3rd and 4th choice CB pair for the next couple of games. £60m combined Bailly and Lindelof. Reading the media it’s like the excuses are already lined up for Man U if they don’t win.

Post #536354  Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:20 pm 

dec wrote:
Zed wrote:

Football London is an absolutely shite website. It's pure clickbait.

Not the only outlet this Noa thing showed. Pain in the Arsenal had it 2 days ago. Reported only doesn't mean it happens obviously.

Post #536355  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:26 pm 

From a Palace forum:

If Xhaka is still suspended. Draw 1-1.

If Xhaka plays. We win 3-1.

Most overrated player in the PL by far.

Although somehow he looked decent this summer for Switzerland.

Post #536356  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
From a Palace forum:

If Xhaka is still suspended. Draw 1-1.

If Xhaka plays. We win 3-1.

Most overrated player in the PL by far.

Although somehow he looked decent this summer for Switzerland.

Those Palace fans are a bit out of touch seeing as Xhaka has been ruled out injured until the New Year

Post #536357  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:12 pm 

Very please to see Leicester beat Man U 4-2. At 1-1 I thought this was going to be another get out of jail late goal from Man U, a moment of individual skill papering over the cracks of another weak performance and even weaker managerial tactics. I wrote a while back that I felt a lot of last season Man U kept sneaking points even when they played badly and it was annoying, the temptation was to brand them lucky (which I'm sure I did many times) but the reality is that they still have some very very good players who are capable of that individual moment to bail them out of games, and they have a lot of players who are willing to try something, be that shooting on site or dribbling aggressively in the box so things can happen. My opinion of Ole hasn't changed, the guy is definitely out of his depth, clearly the weakest of the top 4 managers and as much stick as Arteta takes there is no chance in a million years I'd swap him for Ole!

Post #536358  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:19 pm 

Just noticed that we're the friday game next week, meaning we play monday then friday. Shouldn't be a problem for us as we have players used to playing twice a week but our opponents on friday are Villa who will have 52 hours more to prepare for the game - kind of takes away our advantage of not being in Europe this year because that's the kind of extra prep time teams get over teams with european football

Post #536359  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:44 pm 

They may be but their view on Xhaka is the take away from it. lol

Post #536360  Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:45 pm 

Yeah Leicester. Hope Liverpool loses soon and put my annual angst to bed.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13406, 13407, 13408, 13409, 13410, 13411, 13412 ... 14269  Next