Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 100 guests

Post #535921  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Thanks Haz
You read my mind.
I tried to post the picture with no success.
Great photo!

Post #535922  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:27 pm 

david.d wrote:
Loved that celebration from Aubameyang with the grass slide and glare.
Very reminiscent of Thierry's celebration but I couldn't remember who it was against......
It was also against Spurs!! In 2002.
Wasnt it that mazy run from one half to the other and the slide rule finish?
Great seeing Thierry in the crowd wearing his vintage shirt. Didn't realise that was Daniel Ek sat with him.
Great great win and performance.
Bit nervy at 3 1and Kane went close a couple of times but we thoroughly deserved that.
Actually this was last game before another bloody international break but no Brighton next week.
Let's go again!

Attachments:

Post #535923  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:48 pm 

Post-match interview with David Seaman and Ramsdale. Ramsdale disappointed with not keeping a clean sheet, says he could've saved it.

https://youtu.be/FfQf-XjqLME

Post #535924  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:50 pm 

On way back from game sitting very happily in pub.
Interestingly to see real connection being forged between team and fans. Very early days but feels bit like early GG days.
Long May it continue.

Post #535925  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:08 pm 

Got up early to watch the highlights. We looked like a team who believed. Great win and will make the morning walk really enjoyable

Post #535926  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:20 pm 

Arsenal ladies 3 up against Man City

Post #535927  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:36 pm 

For me this result doesn’t buy Arteta anymore time. He’s got to prove it on the the big stage….after all… it was only Tottenham

Post #535928  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/sounes ... our-moment

What is wrong with Souness? I've also never heard him refer to Spurs as 'we'.

I find it a bit odd in the media that if Arsenal lose all the old phrases come out and they revel in taking us apart, but as soon as we win they tell us we can't celebrate it because we're still not good enough. Its like we can only 'win' in some pundits eyes if we win the title.

It needs a more objectionable eye with an ability to look past individual results and look at progress (or lack of). Talk about individual progress, recruitment, patterns of play. Absolutely fine to say 'they need to do this every week/more often' - but in reality you're saying that about 17 out of 20 teams in the league (I'm including Man U in that given the talent they have, money they've spent and poor results they still churn out)

Post #535929  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:58 pm 

Worth reiterating once again, apart from Aubameyang, Xhaka and Partey the rest of that team is 23 or under. All 6 summer signings were again on the pitch at the end of the match

Post #535930  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 pm 

Me waiting for MOTD

Post #535931  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:41 pm 

Yellowquadrant wrote:
Interestingly to see real connection being forged between team and fans. Very early days but feels bit like early GG days.
Long May it continue.

Block 133 where I sit was absolutely buzzing and very vocal all game. In fact the whole ground was very noisy today.

You are right in your observations I think. Don’t let people micro criticising the team and manager on the internet fool you, there is a lot of goodwill to this team from our support especially the younger fans it seems. Loved the fans behind Ramsdales goal at the end staying on twirling their scarfs and some taking their shirts off.

Post #535932  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 pm 

Does anyone still think we overpaid for Ramsdale and White ? Both terrific today only bettered by Gabriel and Tomiyasu who literally wins everything so many 50 50s and knockdowns. The guys been our man of the match in both our last 2 home games and looks an absolute snip at 19m.

You can see partnerships and trust forming in the team. The defenders know they can pass it back to their keeper now because they trust him, the midfielders know the can swing a high ball at Tomiyasu because he wins them. Trust and understanding is developing.

Only suggestion I would have made is that I felt maybe Lacazette for Aubameyang around the 70th minute would have made sense to me and that we still don’t seem to have realised that by the 60th minute of most games Emile Smith Rowe has totally burnt himself out with his work rate.

Post #535933  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:03 pm 

Full team dressing room photo

Attachments:

Post #535934  Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Does anyone still think we overpaid for Ramsdale and White ? Both terrific today only bettered by Gabriel and Tomiyasu who literally wins everything so many 50 50s and knockdowns. The guys been our man of the match in both our last 2 home games and looks an absolute snip at 19m.

You can see partnerships and trust forming in the team. The defenders know they can pass it back to their keeper now because they trust him, the midfielders know the can swing a high ball at Tomiyasu because he wins them. Trust and understanding is developing.

Only suggestion I would have made is that I felt maybe Lacazette for Aubameyang around the 70th minute would have made sense to me and that we still don’t seem to have realised that by the 60th minute of most games Emile Smith Rowe has totally burnt himself out with his work rate.

Yep subs could have been earlier. Game management is very important because even 3 nil isn't completely safe.

Big plus is the way we didn't take the foot of the pedal when we went ahead.

9/10 for Arteta.

Post #535935  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:31 am 

Seaman was giggling like a kid throughout the interview with Ramsdale, love it. Such a personality, exudes lots of positive vibes.

Post #535936  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:30 am 

Kaveh Solhekol the sky sports transfer guy is taking pelters from arsenal fans on social media. He was the guy who was giggling about us signing Tomiyasu and claimed he had inside info that Tomiyasu had been offered to every single prem club and not a single one was interested. I would wager there is no chance this bloke had ever seen Tomiyasu play

Post #535937  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 am 

Rich wrote:
Kaveh Solhekol the sky sports transfer guy is taking pelters from arsenal fans on social media. He was the guy who was giggling about us signing Tomiyasu and claimed he had inside info that Tomiyasu had been offered to every single prem club and not a single one was interested. I would wager there is no chance this bloke had ever seen Tomiyasu play

Tomiyasu was outstanding. Again. He seems perfect for the high intensity and physical nature of the Premier League.

Post #535938  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:
Long May it continue.

I've only been to the Norwich game this season but it was noticeable how there was an energy and enthusiasm amongst the support that you normally associate with a team going places. I think the emergence of such a young team, full of really likeable and commited players, all with something to prove, and backed by supporters who havent been to a match for over a year has created this atmosphere. If the team can keep improving it could turn out to be an exciting time to go to Arsenal matches.

Post #535939  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 am 

Noticeable after the game yesterday how every post match interview sang the praises of the fans. Feels like there may have been a directive for what to be saying in post match interviews even though players generally thank the fans quite often.
Arteta clearly trying to get everyone on board and pulling in the same direction. Wins like yesterday help a lot

Post #535940  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:36 am 

On MOTD2 last night, Keown said this was only the twelfth game Arteta’s teams have played in front of a full house. Nothing about the explanation for that, if it’s true, being the behind closed doors policy. Even the games last season when some fans were let in had a restricted capacity.

Post #535941  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
On MOTD2 last night, Keown said this was only the twelfth game Arteta’s teams have played in front of a full house. Nothing about the explanation for that, if it’s true, being the behind closed doors policy. Even the games last season when some fans were let in had a restricted capacity.

I wonder how many times Arteta has been able to pick Xhaka and Partey in the same team?

Post #535942  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:54 am 

But for the late and fortunate winner v Wolves and the late winner and then subsequent missed penalty v West Hame we'd be on equal points as Man U.

I always find it interesting to try to look at the stats of games and context of the performances because these will catch up with you and results will follow. Man U were poor against Wolves and West Ham and finally got punished for an equally poor performance against Villa with the defeat their previous 2 games might have deserved.

It reminds us of where we need to improve as I still see us as a team who generally only wins when we play well or clearly deserve it.

Post #535943  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:40 am 

Rich wrote:
Noticeable after the game yesterday how every post match interview sang the praises of the fans. Feels like there may have been a directive for what to be saying in post match interviews even though players generally thank the fans quite often.
Arteta clearly trying to get everyone on board and pulling in the same direction. Wins like yesterday help a lot

As the players came out Ramsdale and others were clapping the supporters. I think there are so many likeable players in the side, as a supporter you are prepared to cut them a lot of slack. The team looked balanced yesterday. You can’t fit Pépé Emile Smith Rowe Saka and Ødegaard all on to the field at the same time IMO. That’s not to say they can’t be rotated. Tomiyasu has been a very good buy.

Post #535944  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 am 

Bernard wrote:

This is a very valuable point to highlight.

The behind doors games appeared to be essentially high intensity training sessions where pretty much anything can happen.

Confidence plays a massive part in football as confidence enables creativity and expression and the players seeing that they have a stadium full of fans cheering them on like yesterday can only help especially for a team like ours with so many young players. Without that they are essentially listening to the media and social media to gauge people’s opinions on their performances and that is not good.

Post #535945  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

The team looked balanced yesterday. You can’t fit Pépé Emile Smith Rowe Saka and Ødegaard all on to the field at the same time IMO. That’s not to say they can’t be rotated.

Yes you can, worked well againest Burnley. If you are playing a team less likely to dominate the middle of the park like a top 4 side or Leicester you can sacrifice some of your combativeness in the middle for creativity.

I can see us using that formation a lot this season especially at the Emirates so expect to be disappointed again.

Post #535946  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:33 am 

Trying to show with these screengrabs the pace of Smith Rowe which I'm not sure I appreciated he had.
image 1 he receives the ball and flicks it to Tierney - Sanchez I think is tight to him
image 2 Aubameyang flicks it round the corner and Emile Smith Rowe is 5 yards ahead of Sanchez
image 3 as Emile Smith Rowe bursts in to the area Snahcez is only just in the frame

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 24.43 KB | Viewed 5822 times ]
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG [ 28.61 KB | Viewed 5820 times ]

Post #535947  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

This is a very valuable point to highlight.

The behind doors games appeared to be essentially high intensity training sessions where pretty much anything can happen.

Confidence plays a massive part in football as confidence enables creativity and expression and the players seeing that they have a stadium full of fans cheering them on like yesterday can only help especially for a team like ours with so many young players. Without that they are essentially listening to the media and social media to gauge people’s opinions on their performances and that is not good.

I think Aubameyang in particular is someone who thrives off the crowd, I thought for all the plaudits other players were rightly getting yesterday I really enjoyed Aubameyang's performance leading the line. If we can get him at those sorts of levels for just 3/4 games this season we'll have a good season

Post #535948  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm 

Some pretty damning stats for Spurs after yesterday's game.
They rank 18th for goals scored, 19th for shots, 18th for shots conceded, 19th for expected goals and 20th for distance covered.

City look like they've done enough to completely disturb Kane, their midfield lacks skill, pace and balance. I saw them play a midfield of Hojberg, Skipp and Winks the other day - that is championship level.

They've bought a new CB and new RB and neither started against us. Dier and Sanchez will always have a mistake in them. Yesterday they seemed to just bypass their midfield and we had huge joy in almost creating a box style central midfield: Xhaka deep left, Partey deep right, Smith Rowe advanced left and Ødegaard advanced right - the later two in those half spaces that Spurs just struggled to pick up. Tierney and Saka kept the width for us and the back 3 provided a solid foundation.

Post #535949  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
As the players came out Ramsdale and others were clapping the supporters. I think there are so many likeable players in the side, as a supporter you are prepared to cut them a lot of slack.

I think you're right on the likability of the team and squad. Of course we all tend to like players better when they're winning matches and scoring goals but I think we're talking about personalities above football skills.
We seem to have the makings of a group who are humble but willing to fight for each other, the fans and the manager. There seems to be a sense that a lot of the players we have are ecstatic to be playing for The Arsenal. Obviously the Hale End boys but players like Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Tavares, Lokonga, White see us as a big deal, there isn't any moping around it feels more like an attitude of work hard and get back where we belong - a sense of opportunity.
Also, I'm not sure if this is a younger generation thing but I do believe younger footballers are more socially aware. The drinking and party culture is dead or dying and even the flashyness is not 'in fashion' anymore. Younger players, particularly those from more humble beginnings, realise they really are role models and have a big opportunity to give back - and I don't know if this is just Arsenal (because I don't listen enough to other teams players) but the younger lads speak very well in the media. I recall when Walcott joined how well he spoke for someone so young as it seemed to go against the stereotype so much. younger players potentially feel more relaxed in their media duties so you see more of the personalities - particularly evident in interviews I've seen with Saka and more recently Ramsdale.

Post #535950  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm 

Ashburton Grove has never been the forgress Highbury was. Last night could have been because its an NLD but if we can get anywhere close to that atmosphere on a regular basis, it's worth several points over the course of a season.

Post #535951  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm 

We're playing games now with what has to be described as our best 11, and in reality most of those 11 positions are clear now. What we need to do now is:
1. ensure that 11 stays as fit as possible and get them playing to that level as often as possible
2. not alienate the support cast
3. work out a way the players outside of that 11 can slot in and be equally effective

When I look through the squad and what Arteta wants from each player in each position there does seem to be quite some drop off in quality. I'd argue that Lokonga could come in to central midfield, Pépé could come in and Lacazette could play the central striker and things shouldn't drop off to much.

The key is not having too many of these 2nd 11 players slotting in at the same time. Tomiyasu appears to have a skillset that none of our other RB have so him being out would require a certain rethink, but Tavares looks a more raw Tierney so I would hope he could fit in with the other 10 and not lose too much.

Post #535952  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:43 pm 

Post #535953  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Ashburton Grove has never been the forgress Highbury was. Last night could have been because its an NLD but if we can get anywhere close to that atmosphere on a regular basis, it's worth several points over the course of a season.

Although, I found an old article from december 2020 that tracked the first 272 games at the Emirates vs the final 272 games at Highbury and The Emirates comes out on top. 178 wins at The Emirates compared to 171 wins at Highbury, exactly the same amount of defeats with 35.

Post #535954  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
Some pretty damning stats for Spurs after yesterday's game.
They rank 18th for goals scored, 19th for shots, 18th for shots conceded, 19th for expected goals and 20th for distance covered.

It's true. So far we've beaten the three worst teams in the league.

Post #535955  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 pm 

The most interesting quote I saw over the weekend said Spurs were cosplaying a big club.
Applies to us too. Ever since the coming of the oligarchs and the stadium we were outdone for money. History held us up for a while. Then we went into cosplay mode acting big. Buying Özil & Sanchez & extending Özil. Spent a lot of money but distorted the team.

Original Wenger was based on younger, cheaper signings. (And an inherited defence.)

This summer's window is the most impressive I can remember for us. Many signings, who all appear to be good and worth the money. It's a very long time since that was true. And potential to grow.

Post #535956  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:48 pm 

What I liked most about the match was that we showed style. First evidence I've seen that Arteta envisages a team with the old Wenger style and swagger. Well, not the same but still good to watch. That was one of my biggest doubts - mostly because he'd never had the players, which I appreciated but nice to see an example of style. Even if we won't be in a position to repeat it very often.

Post #535957  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
I really enjoyed Aubameyang's performance leading the line. If we can get him at those sorts of levels for just 3/4 games this season we'll have a good season

Yeah, it was so good to seem him back with a bit of fire.
And Emile Smith Rowe and Saka scoring.

Post #535958  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:36 pm 

A few good stats after the weekend.

Emile Smith Rowe has more shots on target and attempted dribbles so far this season that he did on the whole of last season (league only)

Arsenal have been dribbled past by their opponents the least in the league so far this season. A better emphasis on 'winning duels'? - which seems to be a new buzz theme in football.

Post #535959  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm 

I wanted to see the average position plan of the Arsenal team from Sunday to see if it backed up what I watched in the match - essentially Emile Smith Rowe and Ødegaard constantly in the half spaces and pockets of spaces making them very difficult to pick up, especially by an accommodating and frankly terrible Spurs midfield.

You often see training pitches marked out how I've tried to do with the red lines below. 3 central zones in the attacking half indicating the space between the box and 6 yard box on each side and a wider central zone. Emile Smith Rowe (10) and Ødegaard (8) were perfectly in these spaces a lot of the time. Aubameyang holding the central ground and Saka and Tierney providing the width.

All very promising.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 15.34 KB | Viewed 5574 times ]

Post #535960  Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
We're playing games now with what has to be described as our best 11, and in reality most of those 11 positions are clear now. What we need to do now is:
1. ensure that 11 stays as fit as possible and get them playing to that level as often as possible
2. not alienate the support cast
3. work out a way the players outside of that 11 can slot in and be equally effective

When I look through the squad and what Arteta wants from each player in each position there does seem to be quite some drop off in quality. I'd argue that Lokonga could come in to central midfield, Pépé could come in and Lacazette could play the central striker and things shouldn't drop off to much.

If you’re right and the first eleven is to be taken as yesterday’s starting team, so:
Goal: Ramsdale
Full backs: Tomiyasu and Tierney
Central defence: White and Gabriel
Deeper midfield: Partey and.Xhaka
Wide or advanced: Saka, Smith Rowe and Ødegaard
Striker: Aubameyang.

That makes the back up players:
Goal: Leno
Full backs: Tavares, Maitland-Niles, Cédric and Kolasinac
Central defence: Mari, Holding and Chambers
Deeper midfield: Lokonga and Elneny
Wide or advanced: Pépé and Martinelli
Striker: Lacazette, Balogun and Nketiah

So eleven first teasers and fifteen back ups. Out of the fifteen, I reckon you can get an eleven that would finish at least mid-table in the Premier League.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13396, 13397, 13398, 13399, 13400, 13401, 13402 ... 14269  Next