Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests

Post #535721  Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

And is it named after an Arsenal player of yesteryear? I’ve always liked the idea of getting a dog and calling it Ljungberg

There’s a coincidence. My younger son and his partner got a couple of cats and he called one Bergkamp. Bergkamp turned out to be female. :icon_mrgreen:

How apt, if Dennis Bergkamp was an animal it would 100% be a cat. Graceful, sometimes aloof, killer instinct… resists attempts to transport it places…

Post #535722  Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:50 pm 

I have to say this has lowered my opinion of the guy. About money and nothing else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58668646

Post #535723  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I have to say this has lowered my opinion of the guy. About money and nothing else.

Ignoring the Copa America and the African Nations Cup because I know far less about them, what happens to the Euro Nations Cup? UEFA surely won’t want it cancelled.

I know because of Covid there was a Euro Nations Cup finals in 2021 not 2020, but the normal timetable is for an international tournament finals which individual top European international players appear in every two years. A four year gap between each World Cup finals and the Euro Nations Cup means there’s one such finals every two years.

If this idea of a World Cup every two years happens and the Euro Nations Cup continues, then in every four year period there will be two World Cup finals and one Euro Nations finals. If the top European players appear in both, does that that means every four years they play in three international finals tournament (two World Cups and one Euro Nations).

That’s too much in my view. Also, think of all the qualifying games to get into the finals. I think there are too many anyway, but they would surely have to be reduced. Top players need breaks for the sake of maintaining energy and avoiding injury. That’s why their employing clubs rest them. Moreover, it’s the top players who will be performing in all three, whether they’re internationals from England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and wherever else. I know next to nothing about the Copa America but I assume a similar point could be made of Brazilians, Argentinians and so on.

I’m perhaps not the right person to speak about the specialness of the World Cup. I’ve always been far more interested in club sport than international sport, whether it’s football with Arsenal and to a far lower extent Middlesex rather than test cricket. I would get more from Arsenal winning the League Cup than I would from my favourite international team winning the World Cup.

But many people appear to see the World Cup as special. With a World Cup finals every two years instead of four, will that compromise the specialness of it? I wonder if there’s a danger of too much international football. Myself I think there is already. The international breaks bore me. Am I alone in that?

Post #535724  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:29 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Surely an opportunity to get half a dozen. Really: was that comment and if so what was it based on. As I said the same could be said of Norwich and Burnley - so to follow your line of reasoning the players in those games failed as well. My dog probably has more common sense than you. As I said a roo loose in the top paddock.

What sort of dog is it?

If this argument is going to go on, it would be very good to have some background info about the main characters.

A border collie cross

Attachments:

Post #535725  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
What sort of dog is it?

If this argument is going to go on, it would be very good to have some background info about the main characters.

A border collie cross

Lovely. The comparison would have been been a bit rough on Top Gun if it has been a Chihuahua or Pekinese, although they also do bark a lot.

Post #535726  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
What sort of dog is it?

A border collie cross

Nice doggie, love dogs!

Post #535727  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:04 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ignoring the Copa America and the African Nations Cup because I know far less about them, what happens to the Euro Nations Cup? UEFA surely won’t want it cancelled.

I know because of Covid there was a Euro Nations Cup finals in 2021 not 2020, but the normal timetable is for an international tournament finals which individual top European international players appear in every two years. A four year gap between each World Cup finals and the Euro Nations Cup means there’s one such finals every two years.

If this idea of a World Cup every two years happens and the Euro Nations Cup continues, then in every four year period there will be two World Cup finals and one Euro Nations finals. If the top European players appear in both, does that that means every four years they play in three international finals tournament (two World Cups and one Euro Nations).

That’s too much in my view. Also, think of all the qualifying games to get into the finals. I think there are too many anyway, but they would surely have to be reduced. Top players need breaks for the sake of maintaining energy and avoiding injury. That’s why their employing clubs rest them. Moreover, it’s the top players who will be performing in all three, whether they’re internationals from England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and wherever else. I know next to nothing about the Copa America but I assume a similar point could be made of Brazilians, Argentinians and so on.

I’m perhaps not the right person to speak about the specialness of the World Cup. I’ve always been far more interested in club sport than international sport, whether it’s football with Arsenal and to a far lower extent Middlesex rather than test cricket. I would get more from Arsenal winning the League Cup than I would from my favourite international team winning the World Cup.

But many people appear to see the World Cup as special. With a World Cup finals every two years instead of four, will that compromise the specialness of it? I wonder if there’s a danger of too much international football. Myself I think there is already. The international breaks bore me. Am I alone in that?

While I am not sure about a WC every two years, I do agree with Wenger that the international calendar badly needs to be reformed. Top Gun is completely wrong that it is just about money.

What make international football so boring and excessive isn't the big tournaments. It is the pointless friendlies and endless qualifiers interfering with the seasons, especially the deadly dull miss-matches against inferior opposition (I think England have Andorra, San Marino, and Albania in their WC qualifying group?).

Its even worse for African and South American players because of the travel. Again, when the ACON can be a pain in the neck, its is the qualifiers that really create the biggest club vs country problems.

Post #535728  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
What sort of dog is it?

A border collie cross

Beautiful dog mate. Intelligent as well, collies, so you might have a point.

Post #535729  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
What sort of dog is it?

A border collie cross

That dog looks miserable

Post #535730  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 am 

Make sure to fill your petrol tanks up today folks ! :laughing7:

I honestly don’t know what’s happening to this country

Post #535731  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:36 am 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
There’s a coincidence. My younger son and his partner got a couple of cats and he called one Bergkamp. Bergkamp turned out to be female. :icon_mrgreen:

How apt, if Dennis Bergkamp was an animal it would 100% be a cat. Graceful, sometimes aloof, killer instinct… resists attempts to transport it places…

Extremely apt. One could also get a greyhound and name it Thierry (perhaps train it to cheat against the Irish too?).

Post #535732  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
A border collie cross

Lovely. The comparison would have been been a bit rough on Top Gun if it has been a Chihuahua or Pekinese, although they also do bark a lot.

Funny you mention barking. He does not have a bark. We believe he has a bit of Bernese mountain dog in him and they often don’t have a bark. His history is vague as we got him as a rescue dog as he was surrended by people who did not want him. It’s always nice to have a dog around if you have the room to allow them to have a run and have time with them.

Post #535733  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

While I am not sure about a WC every two years, I do agree with Wenger that the international calendar badly needs to be reformed. Top Gun is completely wrong that it is just about money.

What make international football so boring and excessive isn't the big tournaments. It is the pointless friendlies and endless qualifiers interfering with the seasons, especially the deadly dull miss-matches against inferior opposition (I think England have Andorra, San Marino, and Albania in their WC qualifying group?).

Its even worse for African and South American players because of the travel. Again, when the ACON can be a pain in the neck, its is the qualifiers that really create the biggest club vs country problems.

Hi Decaf,

International breaks are so boring and just interupt the momentum of the PL season. You get the occasional game where one big nation plays another if they are unfortunate enough to be drawn in the same group but otherwise it's just dross.

When was the last time England had a tough qualifying group?

Post #535734  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 am 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news- ... ad-derby-1

Can we mark this day in the calendar "All players in the men’s first-team squad are currently fit and available for selection"

Post #535735  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 am 

Not that I want him to play badly to prove us right in selling him but £25m for Joe Willock is looking quite good at the moment. Any pundits (or fans) that fell for his burst of 8 goals in 14 games and expected that to be the norm were a bit wide of the mark

Post #535736  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
Not that I want him to play badly to prove us right in selling him but £25m for Joe Willock is looking quite good at the moment. Any pundits (or fans) that fell for his burst of 8 goals in 14 games and expected that to be the norm were a bit wide of the mark

Careful, the same could be said of his current situation in the future.
Pundits who laughed at his 0 goals in 5 games, will have egg in their face when he suddenly gets into form.

You never know what's around the corner these days. We had our moment with Aubameyang. Desperately signing him onto a bumper contract, and then get an off-season from him.

Post #535737  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:10 pm 

It's never too early for my annual angst. Need Chelsea and 'Pool to lose a game. Not so worried about Man Utd too much. lol

Post #535738  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Well, we do know, but we're not allowed to say and no one is allowed to mention the "B" word :58big-emoticons: All caused by Covid apparently, nothing to see here. It's only going to get worse and they'll soon run out of road when it comes to the excuses.

Post #535739  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:08 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Careful, the same could be said of his current situation in the future.
Pundits who laughed at his 0 goals in 5 games, will have egg in their face when he suddenly gets into form.

You never know what's around the corner these days. We had our moment with Aubameyang. Desperately signing him onto a bumper contract, and then get an off-season from him.

Quite right. But even if Willock became a decent 1 in 4 goalscoring midfielder for Newcastle I doubt they'd be getting top half of the table and I still couldn't really see a fit for him in our team. The £25m is worth more to us than the player - however much we want academy prospects to prosper in our first team.

Post #535740  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
A border collie cross

Super smart dogs those ones.

Post #535741  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:58 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well, we do know, but we're not allowed to say and no one is allowed to mention the "B" word :58big-emoticons: All caused by Covid apparently, nothing to see here. It's only going to get worse and they'll soon run out of road when it comes to the excuses.

Hard to work out what has improved due to the B word other than being able to buy a pound of spuds. The downside is absolutely huge and very clearly visible.

Post #535742  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:49 pm 

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
A border collie cross

Super smart dogs those ones.

The only down side with him is the name with which he arrived. Given he answered to it I couldn’t really change it: Kane

Post #535743  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:47 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
What sort of dog is it?

A border collie cross

A cutie.

Post #535744  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news-latest-ahead-derby-1

Can we mark this day in the calendar "All players in the men’s first-team squad are currently fit and available for selection"

Yep. Straight Outta Colney.
:blob9:

Post #535745  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:59 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Friendlies are boring. Maybe good for under used or unrated players to get playing time they wouldn't normally have, as they most likely wouldn't make the first team in a regular season or a WC call up.
Also AW mentioned breaks in October and/or a 2 month break of March and October. No matter it will affect domestic club matches. Be interesting to see what the South America/Africa take is on this 2 year plan.

Post #535746  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 pm 

And Xhaka just might be returning for the NLD.

Post #535747  Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The only down side with him is the name with which he arrived. Given he answered to it I couldn’t really change it: Kane

What’s the spelling though? It might be Caine because of admiration for The Ipcress File, Get Carter and Zulu, rather than Kane because of any support for Tottenham?

Post #535748  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

What’s the spelling though? It might be Caine because of admiration for The Ipcress File, Get Carter and Zulu, rather than Kane because of any support for Tottenham?

It could have been any of the options but we had to collect him from the vet and they had written Kane - so I suppose fate or a vet receptionist who did not know better decided his name. I have not noticed him have a tendency to back into me and try and bring me down or just falling down in order to get a penalty (treat). As Warrior said he is pretty smart and likes routine.

Post #535749  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:02 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ridiculous comments from so called adults. One trying to get more people panicking the other a remoaner who's braincells have been in permanent sleep mode since Brexit became acting.

Stop panicking and shortagesxwill not happen.

Post #535750  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:30 am 

You have to laugh at Tim Sherwood’s view on football. He thinks Arsenal have made poor recruitment of foreign players that block the pathway to academy players. He doesn’t name any academy players blocked by the signings of Tomiyasu, Tavares and Lokonga, but he does say he doesn’t get why we signed Ødegaard because we have Smith Rowe.

Sherwood also says we should have signed Lewis Dunk (29) rather than Ben White. I particularly enjoy these views where a pundit picks an older defender who plays in a largely deep defence never having to push up and defend 1v1 on the half way line and declare they have no idea why big clubs don’t buy him.

Post #535751  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:36 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Darren wrote:

Ridiculous comments from so called adults. One trying to get more people panicking the other a remoaner who's braincells have been in permanent sleep mode since Brexit became acting.

Many things the so called project fear predicted has come to pass. Whereas I’m still waiting for the EU army and turkey joining.
People have been mugged off by politicians who have nothing but contempt for them. I will wager with you that we rejoin the single market within a decade. This is a totally failed experiment perpetrated by ultra rich tax avoiders.

Enjoy your sovereignty. Hope it keeps your heating on over the winter.

Post #535752  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:06 am 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Many things the so called project fear predicted has come to pass. Whereas I’m still waiting for the EU army and turkey joining.
People have been mugged off by politicians who have nothing but contempt for them. I will wager with you that we rejoin the single market within a decade. This is a totally failed experiment perpetrated by ultra rich tax avoiders.

To an outside observer, it does look like an own goal, especially the way the Brexit was done and the whole Boris thing. However, it also doesn't look like as big a deal as both sides make it out to be.

Post #535753  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:33 am 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Exactly this Darren.

What is becoming more apparent is that a lot of those who voted Brexit are simply refusing to accept the truth of the matter, which is staring them in the face. Many are doubling down on their commitment to a 'cause' that was never designed to benefit them. This can only be down to sheer embarrassment because they are unwilling to admit that they've been conned by the tax dodgers, and/or a blind faith.

And when challenged on their obstinacy and their continuing commitment to it, not one example of a benefit of Brexit, not a single one can be given.

I very much hope we return to a single market and F.O.M. soon, otherwise this shitshow is only going to continue.

But of course, that will cost a lot more than what we already had, and will make the £350m for the NHS that was promised (never realised that was coming from tax rises) look like small change.

Post #535754  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:36 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Darren wrote:

Give us an example of a benefit of Brexit, and how this has personally benefitted you, or indeed anyone, Chris?

Post #535755  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:48 am 

Here’s the thing. If billion dollar companies like Tesco, BP and Esso are struggling with their supply chain with all their resources and money at their disposal then imagine what it does to small business.

Boris is scrambling to get Christmas turkeys from Brazil because he knows that’s visible to the public if there’s an issue however what about the stuff that won’t reach the public eye.

Post #535756  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:10 am 

Decaf wrote:
To an outside observer, it does look like an own goal, especially the way the Brexit was done and the whole Boris thing. However, it also doesn't look like as big a deal as both sides make it out to be.

I try to avoid political debates like the plague, including Brexit. But I’ll make this my one of the year.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Decaf. I was speaking to a former colleague who’s an expert in that academic field and he or she (I’d rather not give even the slightest hint about his or her identity) made the point that both the likely benefits or likely damage that has or will occur from Brexit are being exaggerated.

Understandably this mainly happens because of people’s own bias and beliefs. Those who supported leaving are exaggerating the benefits that has and will accrue from Brexit whilst those who supported remaining are exaggerating the damage that has and will accrue from Brexit. The point being made was that much of the positive and negative developments that has and will occur in the sphere of economics and politics would have happened whether or not the country had stayed in or left the EU.

In short, things have happened and will happen in the sphere of economics and politics. Many of those same things have and will happen regardless of membership of the EU. Brexit may not actually make as big a difference, be it positive or negative, as is often claimed.

Post #535757  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:24 am 

People will always tend to jump to extremes I agree but to suggest the issues Britain is experiencing right now relating to transportation, haulage and migrant workforce is being exaggerated by people who don’t believe in Brexit is ludicrous. If you honestly believe that I don’t know what to say.

Post #535758  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
People will always tend to jump to extremes I agree but to suggest the issues Britain is experiencing right now relating to transportation, haulage and migrant workforce is being exaggerated by people who don’t believe in Brexit is ludicrous. If you honestly believe that I don’t know what to say.

But you have to admit that the ideological polarisation is a big problem.

The supply chain and labour issues are fairly serious, but the UK will muddle through those.

What it is less likely to muddle through is a descent into Trumpism which is what happens when you reach a critical mass of people who cannot imagine that they might be wrong about anything and that people who disagree with them even slightly are either idiots or engaged in a conspiracy.

Post #535759  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The supply chain and labour issues are fairly serious, but the UK will muddle through those.

What it is less likely to muddle through is a descent into Trumpism which is what happens when you reach a critical mass of people who cannot imagine that they might be wrong about anything and that people who disagree with them even slightly are either idiots or engaged in a conspiracy.

You’re right, although I believe we are already in a the Trumpism era here in the UK.

Only Pavlov’s chihuahua, Bubblechris, will disagree. Which proves the point.

Post #535760  Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No I agree entirely with you.

However being bloody minded in an opinion is one thing but right now you can’t get any petrol on the m27 and m3 motorways because of Brexit and we are only at the start of these distribution problems so suggesting these issues are exaggerated is problematic to those having to endure this bollocks. The country is sh1%%&ng it’s pants in front of the whole world so let’s be honest and admit things are pretty messed up without living in fantasy so we retain at least a modicum of self respect.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13391, 13392, 13393, 13394, 13395, 13396, 13397 ... 14269  Next