Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 108 guests

Post #535601  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/prime_brodie/status/1439906771183849475?s=21

2 more minutes of Patino highlights from the Chelsea game

:58big-emoticons:

Post #535602  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Sister team? Really?

You must be the only Arsenal supporter who cares even remotely.

I thought my emoji would been a clue I was being sarcastic.I hate them and wish they'd crash and burn so Kroenke has to eat all that investment.

My point was that none of us cares enough to hate them or to take any interest in them at all. Completely off the radar.

Post #535603  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
As far as poor refereeing goes, this is probably the worst decision I've seen in a long time. Yellow card.

Did you not recognise the agressor?

Post #535604  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
As far as poor refereeing goes, this is probably the worst decision I've seen in a long time. Yellow card.

If he’d been a Man U or Burnley player against us it would have just been a warning.

Post #535605  Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 pm 

Maitland Nile’s agent getting pelters on Panorama for being dodgy. He asked for 125k agency fees for a player too young.

Wonder if this poses difficulties for Arsenal and explains their difficult attitude towards AMN. Might be something there

Post #535606  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:10 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Only caught the last 20 mins of the Burnley game so can't comment too much on the performance. The part I did see was a bit frustrating, we had some really good chances to counter attack but wasted them with poor passing that looked sloppy more than anything. .

This was a theme throughout (underhit passes, passes behind the attacker, etc). At the moment I'll chalk it down to players getting to know each other but some crisper, more accurate attacking passes would have seen us 3 up.

I'm hoping that the young team will start to get the feel for when a break is on and transition to attack more quickly. At the moment some players take off but then others are still a second or 2 slower.

Post #535607  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:14 am 

Rich wrote:
Agree with those that say we need more goals from our attack minded midfielders, as much as they carried us at times last year that does mean Saka and Smith Rowe.
One thing I’ve noticed from the games so far is Smith Rowe is much more willing to shoot and is getting in those goal scoring positions. Right now the composure and conviction in the finish is missing. That goal he scored in extra time v Newcastle in the fa cup is a prime example of a classic finish. Compared to the shot too close to the gk v Norwich and the relatively tame prod v Burnley.
If he keeps getting in those areas the goals will come.
For a successful season we need maybe 8 league goals each from Saka, Pépé, Ødegaard and Smith Rowe. We’d also need a similar 30+ contribution from all our strikers combined. Then add in another 10-15 goals from central mid, defence and own goals and you’ve got the right number of goals to finish 5th
\

When you put it like that... :20hospitals: :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #535608  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 am 

Rich wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnRUAKIyaM&feature=youtu.be

Good interview with Per Mertesacker here.

Always liked Per. Grounded guy :58big-emoticons:

Post #535609  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:01 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Only caught the last 20 mins of the Burnley game so can't comment too much on the performance. The part I did see was a bit frustrating, we had some really good chances to counter attack but wasted them with poor passing that looked sloppy more than anything. .

This was a theme throughout (underhit passes, passes behind the attacker, etc). At the moment I'll chalk it down to players getting to know each other but some crisper, more accurate attacking passes would have seen us 3 up.

I'm hoping that the young team will start to get the feel for when a break is on and transition to attack more quickly. At the moment some players take off but then others are still a second or 2 slower.

I understand from one of podcasts that the grass was cut extra long so to cause issues for us. Could explain some of the under hit passes. I think they are still trying to get to know each other as well.

Post #535610  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:22 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I thought my emoji would been a clue I was being sarcastic.I hate them and wish they'd crash and burn so Kroenke has to eat all that investment.

My point was that none of us cares enough to hate them or to take any interest in them at all. Completely off the radar.

It was a joke of sorts, which got lost in the post. I gave the impression that I followed them, judging from your reaction, and I wanted to clarify that, that's all. No worries. The only reason I even knew they were 2-0 is a friend back in LA went to the game and posted it. I defiintely don't expect anyone to follow or care for them, I don't either. It's more about a dig at Kroenke in backhanded way than anything.

Would love it if the LA project failed though. :42laughter:

Post #535611  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:27 am 

I wonder what new faces we'll see in the league cup game. Is Martinelli fit? I never got a chance to see Wimbledon in the top flight. Heard stories though, and from what I gather, their strategy was long ball to the strikers hoping for it to fall kindly. Or do I have it wrong. I would hear the people say 'Wimbledon' when clubs did that. I don't think of tennis automacally as well. :42laughter:

Post #535612  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I understand from one of podcasts that the grass was cut extra long so to cause issues for us. Could explain some of the under hit passes. I think they are still trying to get to know each other as well.

Funnily enough I was wondering mid match whether they'd over or under watered the pitch before kick off to mess things up. Now I'm thinking it would mess teams up if the groundsman did long and short bands all over the place. :1laughter:

Post #535613  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:11 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I understand from one of podcasts that the grass was cut extra long so to cause issues for us. Could explain some of the under hit passes.

Do Burnley do that for other (or lots of) teams as well as Arsenal? After all, we’re hardly the only Premier League side to have more talented players than them. If not, perhaps it’s no more than a podcast clickbait?

Post #535614  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I understand from one of podcasts that the grass was cut extra long so to cause issues for us. Could explain some of the under hit passes.

Do Burnley do that for other teams as well? After all, Arsenal are hardly the only Premiership side to have more talented players than them. Perhaps it’s no more than a podcast clickbait?

Apparently Burnley do it for most of the games involving bigger teams.

Long grass and don’t water the pitch. I read arsenal were training last week on pitches that hadn’t been cut as much to prepare.

Look at the period of play when Pépé should have played in Aubameyang on the edge of the box. Normally he would play that pass 9 times out of 10 but it was under hit because of the pitch.

Post #535615  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently Burnley do it for most of the games involving bigger teams.

Long grass and don’t water the pitch. I read arsenal were training last week on pitches that hadn’t been cut as much to prepare.

Look at the period of play when Pépé should have played in Aubameyang on the edge of the box. Normally he would play that pass 9 times out of 10 but it was under hit because of the pitch.

Lots of teams have these little things they do at their own ground to give them an advantage. I recall a story once about Torquay United (I think) painting the away dressing rooms mustard yellow and brown as they were uneasy colours to look at. Also wasn't there one with Stoke where they reduced the width of the pitch to make the long throws more potent, or the wing areas of their pitch were basically a mud-bath as Stoke had no interest in fancy wing play as they launched it straight down the middle.

I find if you criticise this there are too many people (particularly dim people on social media) who will say "do you expect Burnley/Stoke to just try to play tika taka and roll over and let you play your pretty football, they'd get beaten 10-0 every game" Of course no one is ever saying teams have to play this way. Mostly fans just want the game to be played within the rules, certainly with respect to fouls and overly aggressive pre-meditated tackling. The longer grass and non-watering is almost certainly in the rules as being fine but as a purist I find it a bit of a shame that that is the limit of Burnley's ambition, that they exist to be the anti-football team. They will point to teams who have come up and played expansively and gone down, and they'd be quite right - but having been established in the top flight for what must be 4-5 years now you'd think their ambitions may change. Brighton are a good example of this. They were pretty dogmatic and turgid when they first came up, now they play decent football and have bloodied the nose of many big teams.

Post #535616  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 am 

With much fewer games this year and our inability to sell Nketiah I wonder whether it is now a mistake to not get Balogun out on loan. He's too good for U23 football but has at least 3 players ahead of him for the starting striker role in the first team.

I saw a contrast with Tammy Abraham who whilst he is 3 years older than Balogun had 40 games in the championship at 19 with Bristol City, another 30 in the prem with swansea at 20 and another 40 in the championship with Villa at 21. Then he came back to Chelsea's first team with 120 odd games of men's football and the thick end of 60 goals.

Lacazette and Nketiah are on their way next summer, this would have been a great year for Balogun to spend in the championship or lower prem team playing every week.

Post #535617  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am 

Rich wrote:
With much fewer games this year and our inability to sell Nketiah I wonder whether it is now a mistake to not get Balogun out on loan. He's too good for U23 football but has at least 3 players ahead of him for the starting striker role in the first team.

I saw a contrast with Tammy Abraham who whilst he is 3 years older than Balogun had 40 games in the championship at 19 with Bristol City, another 30 in the prem with swansea at 20 and another 40 in the championship with Villa at 21. Then he came back to Chelsea's first team with 120 odd games of men's football and the thick end of 60 goals.

Lacazette and Nketiah are on their way next summer, this would have been a great year for Balogun to spend in the championship or lower prem team playing every week.

Or otherwise just play Balogun instead of Nketiah. I suppose an argument could be made that Lacazette is more likely to win you a League Cup game than Balogun so he should be chosen ahead of him. But without wishing to appear overly negative about Eddie, I think Balogun is arguably just as likely to help us beat Wimbledon than Nketiah is. Perhaps even more so?

Post #535618  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:43 am 

Didn’t Darren state his belief that Saka would be sold next summer a while back? I have said if he doesn’t renew his contract, he’s unlikely to be with us for more than another two years. So this report may make uncomfortable reading.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #535619  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Or otherwise just play Balogun instead of Nketiah. I suppose an argument could be made that Lacazette is more likely to win you a League Cup game than Balogun so he should be chosen ahead of him. But without wishing to appear overly negative about Eddie, I think Balogun is arguably just as likely to help us beat Wimbledon than Nketiah is. Perhaps even more so?

I'd agree on playing Balogun instead of Nketiah, but even then how many minutes is Balogun going to get with us this year? The odd league cup game until we meet a big team, same in the FA Cup, and some minutes off the bench if we're desperately chasing goals or are comfortably ahead.

Post #535620  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I'd agree on playing Balogun instead of Nketiah, but even then how many minutes is Balogun going to get with us this year? The odd league cup game until we meet a big team, same in the FA Cup, and some minutes off the bench if we're desperately chasing goals or are comfortably ahead.

How many central strikers do we have ahead of Balogun in the pecking order? Aubameyang and Martinelli. Apart from them, considering how poor Balogun was at Brentford maybe Lacazette. But he’s leaving on a free transfer next summer so I’d say even he’s debatable.

Post #535621  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:40 am 

Agree with some of the comments. I wouldn’t play Nketiah at all this season. He asked for a fortune and priced himself out of a move this summer and I don’t see why we should invest first team minutes in a player who is leaving. Also there’s not much between him and balogun anyway.

Start lacazette Wednesday and bring on Balogun as soon as they are put to the sword.

Post #535622  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

How many central strikers do we have ahead of Balogun in the pecking order? Aubameyang and Martinelli. Apart from them, considering how poor Balogun was at Brentford maybe Lacazette. But he’s leaving on a free transfer next summer so I’d say even he’s debatable.

In theory, with Balogun as good as we hope he is, only Aubameyang is ahead of him.
Martinelli hasn't proved it centrally either.
Lacazette has proved he isn't prolific for us, so we'd only choose him for team shape and balance.
If Eddie signs an extension, then maybe he'd be the one behind Aubameyang.

We might like Balogun to get a lot of games on loan (no idea about his preference or what was agreed when he signed his contract), but we just don't have the cover to let anyone go.

Personally, I see Eddie as quite a different type of striker. If he'd committed and were a bit better than he's shown so far, then he'd be a useful alternative to Aubameyang in some games.

Post #535623  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Didn’t Darren state his belief that Saka would be sold next summer a while back? I have said if he doesn’t renew his contract, he’s unlikely to be with us for more than another two years. So this report may make uncomfortable reading.

It'll only be uncomfortable if I click on it. For someone who only believes in arsenal.com for facts, why would you bother with 'www.football.london', whatever that is?

Post #535624  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:09 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
'www.football.london', whatever that is?

London football equivalent of the Daily Mail searching global social media for clickbait on its website

Post #535625  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:26 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It'll only be uncomfortable if I click on it. For someone who only believes in arsenal.com for facts, why would you bother with 'www.football.london', whatever that is?

Good point. I just suspect Darren might be right, albeit a year out.

Post #535626  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 pm 

I have to eat a lot of humble pie re Ramsdale.
i know still early days but i was one of many who didn't want him anywhere near Arsenal as he was crap.....
His first few performances have been excellent. Very comfortable with the ball at this feet and love the way he comes for the ball and claims it.
Also seems to have a great personality and authority about him compared to Leno.
Hope he continues making me eat humble pie.
I hope the rumours of Leno getting the spurs game are just that!
Arteta would be an absolute idiot to take out Ramsdale who is riding high on confidence but who would actually be surprised if he did bring Leno back in.
Surely Balogun didnt sign a new contract to be put back in with the Under 23s??
He hasnt even made the bench the last few league games. Seems he is in direct competition with Martinelli for a place on the bench. I hope he is one of these kids who will be humble and bide his time. Unfortunately no european football to give these kids some game time which is why the Europa league conference was a big miss.
Also please no Xhaka on sunday.
What sort of message does that send to Lokonga and AMN if he comes straight back in.
Make him wait and stick with the winning teams of last 2 games.

Post #535627  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:42 pm 

Also loving the look of the new defence.
They must all play v Spurs.
Let them build an understanding and stop the chopping and changing.

Post #535628  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

You might be right! Although I hope not.

Post #535629  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnRUAKIyaM&feature=youtu.be

Good interview with Per Mertesacker here.

Thought that was excellent. Obviously he's not going to criticise the club much being an employee, but he comes across really well and reinforces a lot of what we've heard about the plan for Arsenal going forward. Just hoping all of it can start translating into performances and results, because it seems we're trying to move the club forward in the right way.

Post #535630  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:04 pm 

david.d wrote:
i know still early days but i was one of many who didn't want him anywhere near Arsenal as he was crap.....
His first few performances have been excellent. Very comfortable with the ball at this feet and love the way he comes for the ball and claims it.
Also seems to have a great personality and authority about him compared to Leno.
Arteta would be an absolute idiot to take out Ramsdale who is riding high on confidence but who would actually be surprised if he did bring Leno back in.

So let’s gets this right ..

Arteta was an idiot for signing him
If he plays badly it’s Artetas fault
However he’s playing well right now so if Arteta rests him even if it’s for logical reasons then Arteta is a complete idiot for doing so.
If he has a drop in form the moment he does Arteta will get blamed though.

Great stuff, terrific. See how easy it is ?

Post #535631  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You might be right! Although I hope not.

Saka’s current contract expires in 2024. I think the key factor in whether he stays or goes will be if he extends it (as with many if not most players these days). If he does, I reckon the club will keep him. If he doesn’t, I reckon he’ll be sold.

The club should be looking to get him to sign an extension two years beforehand in 2022, so next year when Darren reckons he’ll leave. Myself, I think that’s a year early because selling him would surely have a massive negative impact on the Arsenal project, if that’s what building a younger improving side can be called.

So even if he doesn’t renew it I’d expect the club to keep him until 2023, so the end of next season. But if he hasn’t, I simply don’t see the club being willing to run the risk of losing him on a free in 2024. His transfer value is simply too big to allow that. That’s why I reckon Darren was a year out. I believe Arsenal should and will wait until 2023 before selling him, even if he shows little or no inclination to extend it.

Satisfying Saka’s wage demands will be the least of Arsenal’s problems, however big a pay rise he wants. Nearly all top players not only want money. They can all live in mansions and drive Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s, Bentley’s or whatever. Even a relative footballing nobody (as a Premiership star) like Reiss Nelson had a £3m property in Hadley Wood. I think the issue will be if Saka can be convinced he can win things at Arsenal, in addition to earning a ton of money.

Even Harry Kane, a lifelong Tottenham fan (despite the photos of him wearing an Arsenal shirt when linked with us as a schoolboy), eventually decided he wanted to move on to win things, even though he’s still there for now. As far as I’m aware, Saka has never pretended to be a lifelong Arsenal fan. Hopefully he can be persuaded or become convinced he can win trophies at Arsenal and sign a new deal. Otherwise my bet is we’ll have him for this and next season before selling him for a very big transfer fee.

Post #535632  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 pm 

https://arseblog.com/2021/09/tactics-co ... t-burnley/

This did a good job of analysing Ramsdale's strengths v Burnley. I was looking for some clips because when I watched some highlights I noticed at least a couple of times where the corner was swung right in oder the crossbar and Ramsdale confidently caught it when 95% of GK would punch that away and the pressure remains on the defence. Some still images from that are in this report.

There is one image, 84th minute, 1-0 up away from home to cloggers, corner swung in and there are 12 players in and around the 6 yard box including 4 within a foot of Ramsdale and he makes the catch. Superb

Post #535633  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

However he’s playing well right now so if Arteta rests him even if it’s for logical reasons then Arteta is a complete idiot for doing so.

Like i said i'm happy to eat humble pie re Ramsdale.
Clearly Arteta can do no wrong in your eyes.
Cant think of many who would legislate dropping a keeper high on confidence and on form last couple of games to bring back someone who is out of form.
But hey whatever suits your narrative.

Post #535634  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:

Really don't care who's in goal Sunday. Just do the job they're hired to do Sunday. Like not letting Spurs win is a start. :laughing7:

Post #535635  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:29 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Really don't care who's in goal Sunday. Just do the job they're hired to do Sunday. Like not letting Spurs win is a start. :laughing7:

For me Ramsdale has grabbed his chance with both hands. Leno should have to wait for an opportunity to get back in. Ramsdale deserves to stay in the team.

Post #535636  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 pm 

Paddy being a wee bit ecnomical with his part in it all..haha

Post #535637  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:36 pm 

Will his Chelsea side evetually replace Liverpool as the City's biggest challenger?

Post #535638  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:42 pm 

Forgot about Balogun...he needs minutes.

Post #535639  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 pm 

[quote="AmericanGooner"]Will his Chelsea side evetually replace Liverpool as the City's biggest challenger?
I think they're the team to beat this season. I make them favourites. The depth of quality in their squad is unrivalled.

Post #535640  Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

For me Ramsdale has grabbed his chance with both hands. Leno should have to wait for an opportunity to get back in. Ramsdale deserves to stay in the team.

Arteta just might go with experience, but who knows. If it is Ramsdale he most likely is aware of the pressure of this derby

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13388, 13389, 13390, 13391, 13392, 13393, 13394 ... 14269  Next