Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 94 guests

Post #532841  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Eh ? Who mentioned our form in the 2nd half of the season. Not me.

You said we weren't good enough to get a European place. I'm suggesting you need to qualify that, if the point at issue is whether we are a terribly run club full of poor, overpaid players. Pretty easy to understand, I would have thought?

I said we didn’t qualify and errr we didn’t. It’s a fact we were not good enough. Like we haven’t done for some time in the champions league.

Take a look at the European qualification records of our rivals compared to us and consider if more qualification is needed.

Post #532842  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:20 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If Messi goes to America I’ll be happy enough. It’ll keep him outside the news more than staying at Barcelona or joining City would.

On another site the first fake photo of Messi in an Arsenal shirt has already appeared.

:14laughter:

That’s it Zed. They didn’t even superimpose Messi’s face on someone in this season’s home shirt.

Post #532843  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:34 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
The final days of the window will be interesting. I think a lot of interested clubs are waiting for the panic-discounts Arsenal will offer.

Not vice versa?

that too, though we have so many to shift off

Post #532844  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:14 am 

I might be the only one but £25m a season for Messi doesn’t seem that bad a deal. Imagine the shirt sales and merchandising deals, the marketing opportunities, the media coverage......it would probably pay for itself purely in the off-field possibilities and put Arsenal right back on the footballing map. It might even get us back in the CL (unlikely but you never know)

Post #532845  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:57 am 

Game day revenue, merchandising alone would halve that fairly easily.

Post #532846  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:58 am 

socrates wrote:
I might be the only one but £25m a season for Messi doesn’t seem that bad a deal. Imagine the shirt sales and merchandising deals, the marketing opportunities, the media coverage......it would probably pay for itself purely in the off-field possibilities and put Arsenal right back on the footballing map. It might even get us back in the CL (unlikely but you never know)

Morning socrates. Economically you may well be correct. But if Messi is open to moving to England, don’t you think other clubs would tempt him far more than Arsenal? City under Guardiola for a start, with them paying him even more generously. Okay, they’ve just signed Grealish so let’s say they’re not so keen now. How about their neighbours? In the Champions League, the country’s biggest club. With their worldwide fan base, and as big as Arsenal’s is United’s is miles bigger, they’d therefore sell way more Messi shirts.

The economic argument you give applies to Chelsea and Liverpool just as much as Arsenal, and aren’t they more tempting? At least Chelsea are in the Champions League. The only way Arsenal are in Europe this season is geographically.

Everyone here knows I’m not keen on Messi. But I appreciate what a wonderful player he was, especially at his peak. What I don’t understand is Arsenal fans clinging on to a hope he’ll join us, and I’m not saying you are socrates despite your last post. That picture I saw of Messi in an Arsenal shirt which Zed kindly posted here. It’s so ridiculous it’s laughable. There’s as much chance of a couple of supermodels offering a threesome to a homeless tramp in his cardboard box down the Embankment tube station.

Post #532847  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:18 am 

socrates wrote:

Isn’t he hugely more expensive than that? I thought that he had agreed to drop his wages to ‘only’ £39m

Post #532848  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Morning socrates. Economically you may well be correct. But if Messi is open to moving to England, don’t you think other clubs would tempt him far more than Arsenal? City under Guardiola for a start, with them paying him even more generously. Okay, they’ve just signed Grealish so let’s say they’re not so keen now. How about their neighbours? In the Champions League, the country’s biggest club. With their worldwide fan base, and as big as Arsenal’s is United’s is miles bigger, they’d therefore sell way more Messi shirts.

The economic argument you give applies to Chelsea and Liverpool just as much as Arsenal, and aren’t they more tempting? At least Chelsea are in the Champions League. The only way Arsenal are in Europe this season is geographically.

Everyone here knows I’m not keen on Messi. But I appreciate what a wonderful player he was, especially at his peak. What I don’t understand is Arsenal fans clinging on to a hope he’ll join us, and I’m not saying you are socrates despite your last post. That picture I saw of Messi in an Arsenal shirt which Zed kindly posted here. It’s so ridiculous it’s laughable. There’s as much chance of a couple of supermodels offering a threesome to a homeless tramp in his cardboard box down the Embankment tube station.

Hi Bernard,

He won't join Arsenal in a million years, I'm just saying that the economics might actually work in the favour of the buying club if they get it right.

Post #532849  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:32 am 

Messi will probably join PSG. They don’t appear to have any financial worries or constraints, just like Man City really. Bloated and obscene.

Post #532850  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:41 am 

We're linked with Takehiro Tomiyasu - right back from Bologna, currently with Japan at the Olympics. 22 years old 6 ft 2 and Spurs have been chasing him all summer and had a £15m bid rejected. We've apparently moved to the front of the queue.

So that would be 5 right backs at the club if he signs!?

Still so much work to do before the window closes.

Post #532851  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:44 am 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Isn’t he hugely more expensive than that? I thought that he had agreed to drop his wages to ‘only’ £39m

I had picked up the £25m a season based on his weekly wage being around £500k per week. But his yearly salary is posted online as 71 million euros!

Post #532852  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:46 am 

Talk of Kolasinac's contract being cancelled so he can join Fenerbache on a free - joining his best mate Özil. If there is no other way to move him out of the squad then just do it, even if we are having to pay 50% of his wages for the next year.

Post #532853  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:48 am 

Rich wrote:
We're linked with Takehiro Tomiyasu - right back from Bologna, currently with Japan at the Olympics. 22 years old 6 ft 2 and Spurs have been chasing him all summer and had a £15m bid rejected. We've apparently moved to the front of the queue.

Hi Rich,

You can never have too many right backs......just ask Gareth Southgate.

Post #532854  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Talk of Kolasinac's contract being cancelled so he can join Fenerbache on a free - joining his best mate Özil. If there is no other way to move him out of the squad then just do it, even if we are having to pay 50% of his wages for the next year.

We paid 90% of Özil’s contract for the period he was there before 30th June.

If Kolasinac’s contract is being cancelled, wouldn’t that mean paying it off in full?

Post #532855  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:01 am 

socrates wrote:

Isn’t it more than double that ? I read the new contract he’d agreed was still over a million a week. Can’t see Kroenke biting :laughing7:

Can just imagine the bed wetting here if Messi turned in a bad game. *%^@*** Arteta etc etc :laughing7:

Post #532856  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:10 am 

Rich wrote:

Arsenal are basically paying 2 million for a footballer to play for another club. It’s pretty amazing.Read this .. amazing the way both clubs are bending over backwards whilst the player obviously refuses to compromise himself. It’s almost more logical to stick him in the reserves and wait for an injury crisis.

Kolasinac’s agent wants Arsenal to pay off the remainder of his Gunners contract so he can join Fenerbahce. The ex-Schalke full-back, who returned to the Veltins-Arena on loan in January, has one year on his €5.5m-a-year (£90k-p/w) deal.

Arsenal are only prepared to pay off €2.5m (£2m) of the amount owed to Kolasinac for next season. However, his agent is pushing for €3.7m (£3m) from the north Londoners, with Fenerbahce covering the €1.8m (£1.5m) difference.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/05/a ... ct-report/

Post #532857  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:52 am 

No wonder Arsenal are short of cash. They keeping paying out fortunes for people not to play for them. Nuts.

Post #532858  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:00 am 

long time gooner wrote:
No wonder Arsenal are short of cash. They keeping paying out fortunes for people not to play for them. Nuts.

If I was advising any player on leaving the club, you would be silly not to require a full payout or just sit down and wait. With the pandemic many clubs where you are heading will not be offering big wages, particular if there is no CL money.

We, Arsenal, are caught in the half way area of being trying to get back into the top 4 and being forced to pay silly wages to attract or keep players. In my view we are negotiating from the wrong angle. We should be paying a good wage but topped by bonuses for trophies or top 4 or a lesser sum for Europa.

Post #532859  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:08 am 

Mustafi is now a free agent, can’t find a club and been voted “loser of the season”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... i-24693341

we were paying him a hundred grand a week. people on the SGF thought he was ace.

Post #532860  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:13 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Getting paid to leave? Hold on there ltg..lets not be too hasty on this. Just saying... :42laughter:

Post #532861  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If I was advising any player on leaving the club, you would be silly not to require a full payout or just sit down and wait. With the pandemic many clubs where you are heading will not be offering big wages, particular if there is no CL money.

We, Arsenal, are caught in the half way area of being trying to get back into the top 4 and being forced to pay silly wages to attract or keep players. In my view we are negotiating from the wrong angle. We should be paying a good wage but topped by bonuses for trophies or top 4 or a lesser sum for Europa.

Performance related pay. Yes please.

Fully agree with what you say from the player/agent perspective. So would I in their position. We just have too many Winston Bogardes.

Post #532862  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Getting paid to leave? Hold on there ltg..lets not be too hasty on this. Just saying... :42laughter:

How much do you want? :15laughter:

Post #532863  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:50 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'll chip in with a fiver.

Post #532864  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:07 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I'll chip in with a fiver.

If I could do smilies that would get some.

Post #532865  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Mustafi is now a free agent, can’t find a club and been voted “loser of the season”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... i-24693341

we were paying him a hundred grand a week. people on the SGF thought he was ace.

Just to clarify, do you mean they thought he was ace when we signed him, or later?

Post #532866  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Just to clarify, do you mean they thought he was ace when we signed him, or later?

Also, does ace mean not thinking he was quite as bad as Top Gun claimed?

Post #532867  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 am 

I think we're probably all guilty of using hindsight on transfers. I'm sure there have been plenty of transfers that when they happened at the time Arsenal fans either got caught up in the excitement of a new signing, or didn't really have a bad word to say about the signing or perhaps a few grumblings. Possibly because with lots of the players we haven't actually seen them play and we look at the transfer fee rather than the wages.

For example:

Kolasinac was voted Bundesliga best left-back, was physically imposing and had a reputation for flying down the wing and providing lots of assists, and we signed him for free! At the time I don't think there were too many moans. Hindsight shows he wasn't good enough to justify his place in the team or his wages and now we are all grumbling about his signing because we can't shift a player we don't want.

There are probably similar arguments for Mustafi, Xhaka and Willian (although people definitely grumbled about the length of his contract)

Post #532868  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 am 

Rich wrote:
I think we're probably all guilty of using hindsight on transfers. I'm sure there have been plenty of transfers that when they happened at the time Arsenal fans either got caught up in the excitement of a new signing, or didn't really have a bad word to say about the signing or perhaps a few grumblings. Possibly because with lots of the players we haven't actually seen them play and we look at the transfer fee rather than the wages.

For example:

Kolasinac was voted Bundesliga best left-back, was physically imposing and had a reputation for flying down the wing and providing lots of assists, and we signed him for free! At the time I don't think there were too many moans. Hindsight shows he wasn't good enough to justify his place in the team or his wages and now we are all grumbling about his signing because we can't shift a player we don't want.

There are probably similar arguments for Mustafi, Xhaka and Willian (although people definitely grumbled about the length of his contract)

There were grumbles when Mustafi joined as his career was pretty unimpressive to be honest but it was Hobson’s choice for us as we were desperate. Willian definitely, Xhaka not. Then later on even after a healthy blooper reel including cup final cock ups people here were still calling mustafi “a bloody good player” so the initial thoughts are pointless anyway :laughing7: .

Post #532869  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:02 pm 

Rich wrote:
...Kolasinac was voted Bundesliga best left-back, was physically imposing and had a reputation for flying down the wing and providing lots of assists, and we signed him for free! At the time I don't think there were too many moans. Hindsight shows he wasn't good enough to justify his place in the team or his wages and now we are all grumbling about his signing because we can't shift a player we don't want.
Very good points. Even if we have paid Kolasinac £3m pa in salary (and who knows the truth of that figure), has it been the worst deal ever made to spend say £12-15m on a squad man who played over a hundred times in four years? In the scheme of things not a big stick to beat the club with.

Post #532870  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I'm glad you asked. I have a number in mind, there are several that I seriously think would consider it. :7laughter:

Post #532871  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
...Kolasinac was voted Bundesliga best left-back, was physically imposing and had a reputation for flying down the wing and providing lots of assists, and we signed him for free! At the time I don't think there were too many moans. Hindsight shows he wasn't good enough to justify his place in the team or his wages and now we are all grumbling about his signing because we can't shift a player we don't want.
Very good points. Even if we have paid Kolasinac £3m pa in salary (and who knows the truth of that figure), has it been the worst deal ever made to spend say £12-15m on a squad man who played over a hundred times in four years? In the scheme of things not a big stick to beat the club with.

And, for what it's worth, Kolasinac got off to a flyer in his first season. Scoring against Chelsea in the Community Shield, Arsenal Player of the Month in August and October that season. We shouldn't completely rewrite history about what an overpaid hack he is. Plus, you'd want him by your side when under knife attack.

Post #532872  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:14 pm 

Pep confirms Bernardo Silva wants to leave City. Would you take him?

Out of interest - if we ignore price tags and just focus on the player, who would you rather have if Arsenal could only sign one of Ødegaard, Aouar, Maddison, Silva?

Now if we bring in possible price tags of:
Ødegaard £35m
Aouar £20m
Maddison £60m
Silva £45m
Who would you have?

ps: the price tag for Silva is my stab in the dark, the others are what has been widely reported)

Post #532873  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:17 pm 

Rich wrote:

For example:

I personally thought Kol was better than people gave him credit for. Tough, uncompromising, put in a decent cross. I don't recall too many over mistakes that cost us. I don't recall many, if any, passes to Tottenham players that led to goals. :42laughter:

Mustafi...really, why drag him in it. It was obviously we were taken and the shock was that he got as many appearances as he did. A halfway decent purple patch for a few months where, it was mre he didn't make glaring mistakes than he played well, doesn't erase his Benny Hillesque compilation of errors.

Post #532874  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:18 pm 

Apologies to the late great Benny Hill. Greatest British comedian ever. :58big-emoticons:

Post #532875  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:43 pm 

Rich wrote:

For example:

Afternoon Rich. I once remember you calling Kolasinac the best left back in the Bundesliga. I pointed out at the time, he got into the Bundesliga’s team of the year at the end of one season. That’s like getting into the Premier League’s team of the year. I asked, is that alone enough to define him as the best left back in the Bundesliga because, for me, Alaba was for quite a lengthy period. Kolasinac getting more votes for the Bundesliga’s team of the year one summer doesn’t, or didn’t, change that.

But like OMOH, I do agree with your basic argument in that post, including what you say about Mustafi, Xhaka and Willian as well as Kolasinac. I see part of the trouble as some posters frequently using language that is too extreme when putting over their views on players. It goes both ways with decent players being defined by words more extreme than good, and disappointing players being described with words much worse than bad. The fact that players not only become professional footballers but in Arsenal’s case play in the Premier League, means there is something positive about them that makes descriptions like rubbish or useless not only unfair, but possibly ridiculous.

All of Kolasinac, Mustafi, Xhaka and Willian are or were Premier League players for a club of Arsenal’s standing. But also, they are full internationals and in the cases of Willian and Mustafi, for two of the world’s most outstanding national teams in the modern era, if not any era. They are NOT rubbish or useless, and it’s silly to use such words to describe them. It is probably legitimate to have expected them to be better than they were at Arsenal, and from that as disappointing signings. But to use words like rubbish, useless, and more vulgar criticisms than that, in my view reflects most badly on those calling them that.

Post #532876  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Mustafi...really, why drag him in it. It was obviously we were taken and the shock was that he got as many appearances as he did. A halfway decent purple patch for a few months where, it was mre he didn't make glaring mistakes than he played well, doesn't erase his Benny Hillesque compilation of errors.

I've mentioned it before, but the veeeeeery slight disconnect between AG's many, many, many posts ridiculing Mustafi, and his many, many, many posts complaining about being trolled by members of the SG forum is worth bringing up every now and again.

Post #532877  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

For example:

Afternoon Rich. I once remember you calling Kolasinac the best left back in the Bundesliga. I pointed out at the time, he got into the Bundesliga’s team of the year at the end of one season. That’s like getting into the Premier League’s team of the year. I asked, is that alone enough to define him as the best left back in the Bundesliga because, for me, Alaba was for quite a lengthy period. Kolasinac getting more votes for the Bundesliga’s team of the year one summer doesn’t, or didn’t, change that.

Hi Bernard, I think if I ever said Kolasinac was the best left back in the Bundesliga it would have been based on him being voted in the team of the year rather than my personal opinion because I don't watch anywhere near enough German football to have a view on it that I would stand by. And yes, anyone who has seen Alaba play for Bayern (only in the Champions League for me) can see he would have almost certainly been the best left back in the league generally.

Post #532878  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
:14laughter:

That’s it Zed. They didn’t even superimpose Messi’s face on someone in this season’s home shirt.

No it wasn't.

Post #532879  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Visions of sugarplums. If rumours are to be believed, PSG/Poch has already contacted Messi's reps.

Post #532880  Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:53 pm 

Rich wrote:

Another one added to all the so-called possibilities being targeted. Still plenty of time in this Russian roulette of a transfer window.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13319, 13320, 13321, 13322, 13323, 13324, 13325 ... 14269  Next