Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 124 guests

Post #532641  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:54 am 

socrates wrote:
Is the game today on tv anywhere?

I understand Arsenal TV is covering it but I am unclear if you have to pay.

Will be interesting to see what system we play and who Arteta has in mind for his squad.

Post #532642  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 am 

This report suggests Viera at Palace is seeking a loan of Reiss Nelson. If the financial penalties weren't too severe for us I think it would be a good deal.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/patrick-v ... elson-loan

Post #532643  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:21 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
This report suggests Viera at Palace is seeking a loan of Reiss Nelson. If the financial penalties weren't too severe for us I think it would be a good deal.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/patrick-v ... elson-loan

There were rumours Vieira had wanted Nketiah as well. I’d be happy to see them both (Nketiah and Nelson) go to Palace, although preferably via sales rather than loans.

That’s not me writing both off as useless. I just can’t see either getting much game time this season. So I think moves would be beneficial to them as well as Arsenal.

Post #532644  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:48 pm 

Some poor challenges from Chelsea in the first half. Partey has gone off injured and now Tierney in some discomfort after a bad challenge from Zouma. Can someone tell Chelsea it's a friendly?

Post #532645  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:51 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Some poor challenges from Chelsea in the first half. Partey has gone off injured and now Tierney in some discomfort after a bad challenge from Zouma. Can someone tell Chelsea it's a friendly?

Can someone tell Arsenal that it’s a friendly. They want to charge £7.99 to watch it.

Post #532646  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:59 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Can someone tell Arsenal that it’s a friendly. They want to charge £7.99 to watch it.

There are a couple of links here:

https://reddt1.soccerstreams.net/event/ ... eam/667386

I'm watching the one called cappuccino, works fine.

Post #532647  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:00 pm 

There's a big gaping hole in central defense since Mustafi left but Ben will at least try to fill it in part if he can't whole.

Post #532648  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:14 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

There are a couple of links here:

https://reddt1.soccerstreams.net/event/ ... eam/667386

I'm watching the one called cappuccino, works fine.

Thanks. Tried that. Just keeps opening loads of windows with adverts.

Post #532649  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:30 pm 

Ha. Gotta laugh. Can only keep track via text updates. Our ‘just like a new signing’ has equalised.

Edit: Well that lead didn’t last long.

Post #532650  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:43 pm 

Plumbing new levels of awfulness. Just seen the Bellerin ‘backpass’ which put us 1-2. Truly horrible.

Post #532651  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Plumbing new levels of awfulness. Just seen the Bellerin ‘backpass’ which put us 1-2. Truly horrible.

Leno has made two of those as well, nearly leading to goals.

On the bright side Willock equalized from a shot that hit the crossbar and went in. Sadly the linesman missed it and there's no VAR.

Post #532652  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Leno has made two of those as well, nearly leading to goals.

On the bright side Willock equalized from a shot that hit the crossbar and went in. Sadly the linesman missed it and there's no VAR.

Hopefully it will all be better when we play them for real.

Post #532653  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm 

Aubameyang still sounds to be in the same vein of form as last season.

Post #532654  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:53 pm 

Individual mistakes will continue to happen by individuals who are not good enough. Individual mistakes were our absolute nemesis last season, gifting goals to teams who don’t have to work for them.

Oh and awful refs even in pre season!

Post #532655  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Individual mistakes will continue to happen by individuals who are not good enough. Individual mistakes were our absolute nemesis last season, gifting goals to teams who don’t have to work for them.

Oh and awful refs even in pre season!

Yeah, our high defensive line caused us some trouble in the first half, but that's something we can work on as a team. But in the second half, almost all of Chelsea's chances were the result of individual mistakes, which is something we just need to cut out of our game. Better concentration and decision making needed there.

Some positives too, thought we looked bright going forward at times. Smith-Rowe and Pépé look really lively, Partey bossed the midfield before going off. Tavares and Lokonga looked good after coming on. Should've scored a few more, the chances were there.

Overall some of the flaws from last season were still there, but some encouraging signs with our attacking play. Still just pre-season of course.

Post #532656  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:01 pm 

Good game for the neutral but boy our defending is hopeless. Chelsea must have been through on goal 6 or 7 times, mainly due to our poor positional play or individual errors.

Bright spots were Nketiah and Willock when they came on. Tavares and Lokonga looked decent.

Leno is a great shotstopper and brilliant 1v1 but his decisionmaking with the ball at his feet is terrible.

Post #532657  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:05 pm 

socrates wrote:
Good game for the neutral but boy our defending is hopeless. Chelsea must have been through on goal 6 or 7 times, mainly due to our poor positional play or individual errors.

Bright spots were Nketiah and Willock when they came on. Tavares and Lokonga looked decent.

Leno is a great shotstopper and brilliant 1v1 but his decisionmaking with the ball at his feet is terrible.

Afternoon Soc,

Really nice seeing seeing Lokonga get on the ball in midfield. Little glimpse of what he could become, he often managed to find the forward pass when it looked like it had been cut off. He carried the ball forward to break the lines when it was and appeared a few times to intercept the ball in front of our defence.

I didn’t see Partey get injured, did it look bad?? :20hospitals:

Post #532658  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:07 pm 

socrates wrote:

Yes, Nketiah and Willock looked bright. Willock is probably our sellable player with the highest value, but if we're not going to bring in another central midfielder I would prefer him to stay and play ahead of Elneny. As criticised as Xhaka has been, a much bigger problem with our midfield last season was Elneny starting 17 league games. He's just a complete non-factor out there, spends all game chasing shadows basically.

Post #532659  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:08 pm 

Ash wrote:

Hard to say, he tried playing for a few minutes after the knock but was eventually taken off. Could've just been a precaution, but there were a number of unnecessarily bad challenges from Chelsea.

Post #532660  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:09 pm 

Not given as a goal

Attachments:

Post #532661  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:10 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Ash wrote:

Hard to say, he tried playing for a few minutes after the knock but was eventually taken off. Could've just been a precaution, but there were a number of unnecessarily bad challenges from Chelsea.

There was a physio Twitter handle that said what it looked like and reckoned 4-6 weeks.

Post #532662  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:17 pm 

Ash wrote:
socrates wrote:

Afternoon Soc,

Really nice seeing seeing Lokonga get on the ball in midfield. Little glimpse of what he could become, he often managed to find the forward pass when it looked like it had been cut off. He carried the ball forward to break the lines when it was and appeared a few times to intercept the ball in front of our defence.

Hi Ash,

Yes, Lokonga's got that nice way of moving with the ball through the midfield and spraying passes. Early days but the signs are promising.

Hard to tell with the Partey injury, he played on for a while but then had to be subsituted. A shame because he was excellent in possession.

I thought we saw both sides of Xhaka, a couple of wonderful passes but caught in possession a couple of times too. He is much better suited to Spain or Italy.

Post #532663  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:27 pm 

Totally agree on Elneny needing to be as far away from the team as possible now. Lokonga must be ahead of him and I think Azeez should be as well.

Holding struggles with a high line and i don’t think he’s good enough to start for a team with top 4 ambitions

Also we’ve still got an absolutely massive squad that still needs quality additions and lots of players to leave. Currently I think we’re battling spurs for 6th

Post #532664  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

There was a physio Twitter handle that said what it looked like and reckoned 4-6 weeks.

:1cry:

Oh bloody ‘ell. *%^@*** Chelsea. Tuchel jumped up with about 10 to go to do some pointing, then gave Danny Drinkwater some abuse for losing the ball then went and sat down again. :laughing7: seems suuuper intense.

Post #532665  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:45 pm 

Rich wrote:

If that's true central midfield becomes an even bigger priority. Think Lokonga needs to be eased in a bit, and we just can't go into the season with Elneny starting.

Post #532666  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
Totally agree on Elneny needing to be as far away from the team as possible now. Lokonga must be ahead of him and I think Azeez should be as well.

Holding struggles with a high line and i don’t think he’s good enough to start for a team with top 4 ambitions

Also we’ve still got an absolutely massive squad that still needs quality additions and lots of players to leave. Currently I think we’re battling spurs for 6th

Hi Rich,

I think getting rid of surplus players is the big issue. They are frankly earning more money than they are worth and teams don't want to have to pay a fee and take on board their large salaries. The trouble is we can't just give them away any more than we can magic up interest in them at the fees we are asking.

Post #532667  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:54 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

I think getting rid of surplus players is the big issue. They are frankly earning more money than they are worth and teams don't want to have to pay a fee and take on board their large salaries. The trouble is we can't just give them away any more than we can magic up interest in them at the fees we are asking.

Problem is that except for Xhaka these players are doing zero to persuade any other club to buy them.

Post #532668  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Problem is that except for Xhaka these players are doing zero to persuade any other club to buy them.

Yep, we've been saying we need a massive clear-out for weeks but barely any movement so far because nobody wants to pay big fees for average players on inflated salaries.

If we are relying on sales to fund purchases from now until the end of the window then we might be in for a huge disappointment.

Xhaka was one of the stars of the euros (surprisingly) but the best offer we got was £12m + £3m add-ons.

Post #532669  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:10 pm 

Hey Hodd,

What do you know about this 18 year old kid Mika we've signed for Fulham. Potential wonderkid or just a hopeful gamble?

Post #532670  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:22 pm 

So....not looking good according to Arteta.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 21777/amp/

Post #532671  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:00 pm 

Missed the game but saw some of the mistakes on the internet including Bellerins.

These guys really aren’t helping themselves are they ?

Think you might see us accepting some of the unsatisfactory offers we’ve been getting for our players (apart from Xhaka) and an acceleration of activity.

If the club don’t make further changes you have another mid table finish occurring trust me. Too many average players still involved.

Post #532672  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:23 pm 

Partey possibly injured, Gabriel nursing an injury from the Olympics and Saka needing a decent rest from the Euros is not the best way for us to start the season.

Post #532673  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:36 pm 

It’s going to be very frustrating when Elneny starts the first few games of the season with Lokonga sat on the bench.

Playing a high line with chambers, holding and Mari who don’t have any pace between them seems a bit silly.

Post #532674  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
It’s going to be very frustrating when Elneny starts the first few games of the season with Lokonga sat on the bench.

Playing a high line with chambers, holding and Mari who don’t have any pace between them seems a bit silly.

Can’t believe we will be starting the season with Elneny and Xhaka starting again. Feels like we are stuck in a purgatory that never ends with mediocre players we are unable to move on. We just don’t have the resources to fix the many things that are broken.

Post #532675  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Can’t believe we will be starting the season with Elneny and Xhaka starting again. Feels like we are stuck in a purgatory that never ends with mediocre players we are unable to move on. We just don’t have the resources to fix the many things that are broken.

We spent 50m on Ben White, and everything we hear in terms of transfer rumours suggests there's more money to burn. If we don't sign another central midfielder it'll be because Arteta and Edu are satisfied with the options we have there, not because we can't get out of the last year of Elneny's 50k per week contract.

Post #532676  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:41 pm 

Aubameyang is a bit of a conundrum at the moment. Was quite poor for most of last season and has been missing quite a few chances in pre-season so far. But there was a couple of times today when he just breezed past Chelsea players with ease, so the pace is still there. You have to think he'll be able to find his groove again, when he hasn't declined physically. It would be another thing if his pace had gone, which could happen once a player reaches a certain age. But all the physical qualities look like they're still there.

Post #532677  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:52 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We spent 50m on Ben White, and everything we hear in terms of transfer rumours suggests there's more money to burn. If we don't sign another central midfielder it'll be because Arteta and Edu are satisfied with the options we have there, not because we can't get out of the last year of Elneny's 50k per week contract.

We’ve spent 77 million. I’m not sure the money is there to sign the players we need, 100 million for another 2 midfielders ? Surely that requires players leaving.

Post #532678  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
We’ve spent 77 million. I’m not sure the money is there to sign the players we need, 100 million for another 2 midfielders ? Surely that requires players leaving.

We don't need two, but if money is the reason we can't get one more in we simply haven't prioritized correctly. As much as I'm excited about White signing and I do think he'll improve our starting eleven, midfield was more important going into the summer. In fact, I'd be okay with us only signing one more player this season if it's a central midfielder.

Post #532679  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We don't need two, but if money is the reason we can't get one more in we simply haven't prioritized correctly. As much as I'm excited about White signing and I do think he'll improve our starting eleven, midfield was more important going into the summer. In fact, I'd be okay with us only signing one more player this season if it's a central midfielder.

We do need 2 midfielders, a right back and competent back up keeper. Encouraged by the white signing but concerned generally more of the same is about to follow if we don’t see movement. If you disagree fair enough.

Post #532680  Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

The fact that we've spend 77 million suggests to me that there is more to come, not that we are done. It's already more than I (and I imagine also you) expected!

It looks to me that Arteta is buying with a clear purpose in mind. He really does want to get the right profile of player in. Filling squad holes with journeymen does not seem to be the plan, and thank goodness for that. For what its worth I reckon we'll see one more very nice signing.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13314, 13315, 13316, 13317, 13318, 13319, 13320 ... 14269  Next