Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 107 guests

Post #532561  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Reports suggesting Madrid would want 43m for Ødegaard minimum but the player only wants to join on loan again. Honestly if that’s the case we shouldn’t go near him and invest our time in players committed to a future with us.

I don't think he did enough to justify that kind of outlay, TG. Another loan without an option to buy is stupid.

Post #532562  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Reports suggesting Madrid would want 43m for Ødegaard minimum but the player only wants to join on loan again. Honestly if that’s the case we shouldn’t go near him and invest our time in players committed to a future with us.

I don't think he did enough to justify that kind of outlay, TG. Another loan without an option to buy is stupid.

Paying much more would be a gamble I agree, he played well but I agree with what Perry Groves said when he mentioned he thought he has an Özil like tendency to be invisible in some matches whilst looking good in others. You can put it down to age and experience but unloading 50 million plus a hundred grand a week seems a big gamble.

Post #532563  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Paying much more would be a gamble I agree, he played well but I agree with what Perry Groves said when he mentioned he thought he has an Özil like tendency to be invisible in some matches whilst looking good in others.

True, although you could accuse most players of the same thing - for instance, how many stellar performances did Bergkamp manage at Old Trafford or Anfield?

Post #532564  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:55 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Paying much more would be a gamble I agree, he played well but I agree with what Perry Groves said when he mentioned he thought he has an Özil like tendency to be invisible in some matches whilst looking good in others.

True, although you could accuse most players of the same thing - for instance, how many stellar performances did Bergkamp manage at Old Trafford or Anfield?

Sorry you seem to be comparing Dennis Bergkamp to Martin Ødegaard. To quote Mr Spock I find that highly illogical.

To indulge the silly comparison however I’ll suggest Bergkamp was the master of consistency and in some games it simply won’t work out. The same observation some have made about Henry that he didn’t score enough in cup finals however to compare certain players performances in our hardest matches to Ødegaard not turning up in half his games isn’t the same thing.

Post #532565  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Sorry you seem to be comparing Dennis Bergkamp to Martin Ødegaard. To quote Mr Spock I find that highly illogical.

To indulge the silly comparison however I’ll suggest Bergkamp was the master of consistency and in some games it simply won’t work out. The same observation some have made about Henry that he didn’t score enough in cup finals however to compare certain players performances in our hardest matches to Ødegaard not turning up in half his games isn’t the same thing.

Calm down. I was just reflecting upon the fact that even our greatest-ever players sometimes didn't do much in the biggest games of the season. Don't worry - in 22 hours, my post will be rendered invisible by Rog's new settings.

Post #532566  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

If that’s true then absolutely not. Not at all what we need.

Post #532567  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Calm down. I was just reflecting upon the fact that even our greatest-ever players sometimes didn't do much in the biggest games of the season. Don't worry - in 22 hours, my post will be rendered invisible by Rog's new settings.

Rog is being generous in leaving it 24 hours until it’s rendered invisible. The time against my post 532544 last night is given as 10.28 pm. Top Gun this morning declared the “Conversation closed” because “It’s an old post now” in his post 532550 at 8.45 am. So just 10 hours 17 minutes later.

At least Rog is leaving the post as visible for 13 hours and 43 minutes after it becomes old and not worth debating.

Post #532568  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Rog is being generous in leaving it 24 hours until it’s rendered invisible. The time against my post 532544 last night is given as 10.28 pm. Top Gun this morning declared the “Conversation closed” because “It’s an old post now” in his post 532550 at 8.45 am. So just 10 hours 17 minutes later.

At least Rog is leaving the post as visible for 13 hours and 43 minutes after it becomes old and not worthy debating.

Good point, Bernard. My calculation was, well, little more than a guess - let's be honest. Perhaps either Rog or TG could clarify?

Post #532569  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm 

Pictures on social media leaked of Ben white with his arsenal shirt

Post #532570  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
It was a simple question. Is it less than half a day when you consider a post too old to make the conversation open?

Bernard, you mightn't have heard. Since Rog optimised the PHP tables on Wednesday, everything posted on the forum expires after 24 hours. It is then considered an 'old post' and forum members are forbidden from engaging with its contents.

You are making this up? Right?

A wind up perhaps?

Post #532571  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:45 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard, you mightn't have heard. Since Rog optimised the PHP tables on Wednesday, everything posted on the forum expires after 24 hours. It is then considered an 'old post' and forum members are forbidden from engaging with its contents.

You haven't heard the rumours of Rog and Big Pharma? Whenever he takes a 15-minute break from colluding with the pharmaceutical industry to artificially stimulate drug prices, Warrior is deciding - unilaterally! - how long a forum post should remain extant. It's just like 'Logan's Run', but much less sexy.

Post #532572  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:33 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

You haven't heard the rumours of Rog and Big Pharma? Whenever he takes a 15-minute break from colluding with the pharmaceutical industry to artificially stimulate drug prices, Warrior is deciding - unilaterally! - how long a forum post should remain extant. It's just like 'Logan's Run', but much less sexy.

Kinda what I thought. Until I saw people picking up the ball and running with it. :toothy9:

Post #532573  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
You haven't heard the rumours of Rog and Big Pharma?

No I'm not in with Big Pharma although I used to smoke a fair bit of greenery back in college.

I had a poster on my wall of Bob Marley, and in the poster he was wearing a T-Shirt with a picture of me on it.

Post #532574  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Kinda what I thought. Until I saw people picking up the ball and running with it. :toothy9:

I shot JFK too - It was me on the grassy knoll.

Post #532575  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 pm 

I wonder which will happen first. Arsenal signing Ben White or Xhaka signing a contract extension.

Post #532576  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:03 pm 

Gawd blimey. Top Gun isn’t going to like this. Let’s hope he doesn’t look at the forum for another 10 hours 17 minutes so he won’t bother reading my post or opening the link. If he does, he’ll do his nut. Perhaps Arsenal weren’t willing to sell him for peanuts after all?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skyspo ... roma-talks

Post #532577  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I wonder which will happen first. Arsenal signing Ben White or Xhaka signing a contract extension.

Do we get to choose ?

Post #532578  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:06 pm 

Ben white confirmed. Wears number 4

.no way Xhaka signs a new contract btw, he hadn’t even returned back from his holiday when he should have. Model professional my arse.

Post #532579  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

.no way Xhaka signs a new contract btw, he hadn’t even returned back from his holiday when he should have. Model professional my arse.

Arsenal now reporting Ben White. That didn’t take long did it.

The Xhaka reports starting up. I suspect that it’s part of our negotiating stance with Roma.

Post #532580  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:25 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The Xhaka reports starting up. I suspect that it’s part of our negotiating stance with Roma.

I wouldn’t blame the club for sticking their heels in on this one. Roma have offered 12 million whilst signing other players left right and centre. Regardless of what I think of Xhaka he’s worth more than that as even youth players are going for more and if Xhaka wants to throw a paddy and stay in Portugal in a strop then the club should dock his wages and not be bullied. Good balls arsenal

Post #532581  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
So AW may be returning to a managerial position with Swiss club Blick that couldn't agree to terms with him in 1995. Instead he chose Arsenal.

Everything I’m reading is suggesting that it’s the Swiss national team.

It is Swiss national team as reported from Swiss outlet Blick. Messed that up by strange wording in an online piece.

Post #532582  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:35 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And there were no other offers supposedly from any other clubs then, just Roma. Thing is, does Xhaka really want to stay at Arsenal at all even.

Post #532583  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
if Xhaka wants to throw a paddy and stay in Portugal in a strop then the club should dock his wages and not be bullied. Good balls arsenal

Like other Euro players, wasn’t he given an extended holiday because of the Euros? That’s what I saw. The one thing he always strikes me as is a good professional.

Post #532584  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
if Xhaka wants to throw a paddy and stay in Portugal in a strop then the club should dock his wages and not be bullied. Good balls arsenal

Like other Euro players, wasn’t he given an extended holiday because of the Euros? That’s what I saw. The one thing he always strikes me as is a good professional.

Supposed to be back by now. Not like Switzerland got to the final.

Look at the Ben white announcement, outside chance of being involved against chelsea.

Post #532585  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm 

Nice to see White finally confirmed officially. I hope the fee doesn't become an anchor for him, he won't come here and have an immediate Van Dijk/Ruben Dias type impact, but he's got all the qualities a modern centre back requires from what I've seen. Hopefully the fans will give him a chance, long term he could be an excellent player.

Post #532586  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Nice to see White finally confirmed officially. I hope the fee doesn't become an anchor for him.

Let me save you some time.

There will be people againest him on here regardless because of his fee, nationality and the manager who signed him.

Post #532587  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
There will be people againest him on here regardless because of his fee, nationality and the manager who signed him.

Well, if Xhaka stays there will be people against him no matter how he performs, but hopefully it will be a small minority in both cases.

Post #532588  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well, if Xhaka stays there will be people against him no matter how he performs, but hopefully it will be a small minority in both cases.

No it’s about 80 percent of the fan base

Post #532589  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 pm 

Don't think it's strange if we decide to keep Xhaka considering the rumoured bids from Roma. If he wants to leave it's best to explore that option, but he's under contract and we're under no obligation to sell him for peanuts. I have no doubt he understands that and will act professionally regardless of what happens. I still hope we sign another central midfielder to compete for a place, Willock would bring in more money than Xhaka anyway.

Post #532590  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 pm 

Read this pure self interest. I hope the clubs in England including ours have nothing to do with these scumbags

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articl ... d-30-07-21

Post #532591  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Who here will be against him because of his nationality? I’ve not noticed any posters who are anti-Arsenal’s English players.

Post #532592  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Who here will be against him because of his nationality? I’ve not noticed any posters who are anti-Arsenal’s English players.

What do you mean revolting English people ?

Post #532593  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Bernard, I'm hoping you'll see this post within 10-12 hours; otherwise, it'll be rendered meaningless. Fingers crossed.

Post #532594  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:04 pm 

Ben Stokes, who declared himself a Spurs fan in August 2019 apparently, has withdrawn from all cricket due to mental health issues. Are these two facts by any chance related?

Post #532595  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Are there any English people you don’t consider revolting? The question remains. Who here has ever criticised an Arsenal player because he’s English? Just wondering because I can’t think of anyone.

Post #532596  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Are there any English people you don’t consider revolting? The question remains. Who here has ever criticised an Arsenal player because he’s English? Just wondering because I can’t think of anyone.

Hint, it wasn’t me who called them revolting on here in the first place.

I won’t name names and cause more rows. Conversation closed. Bye Bernard

Post #532597  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hint, it wasn’t me who called them revolting on here in the first place.
I won’t name names and cause more rows. Conversation closed. Bye Bernard

I do consider some English people revolting. Don’t you consider some English people revolting?

The question remains as we can’t have reached 10 hours 17 minutes on this issue yet. You suggested White would receive criticism because of his nationality. Who here has ever slagged a player off because he’s English? I genuinely can’t think of anyone.

Post #532598  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:18 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard, I'm hoping you'll see this post within 10-12 hours; otherwise, it'll be rendered meaningless. Fingers crossed.

Post #532599  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Managed to keep reading till halfway through the 2nd para and thought “nah don’t bother”

Well it was only three hundred words (301 to be exact) and there have been countless longer posts here by many people. Perhaps you were reading it in the middle of the night?

Or perhaps he found your impeccable logic and careful marshalling of evidence too overwhelming. I'm sure many opposing generals, when faced with the blitzkreig, would also utter the words “nah don’t bother” before reaching for the white flag.

People like using rhetorical devices like 'top 5 of all time' or 'world class' when they don't literally mean it. Unwise!

Post #532600  Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:36 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

A small and mostly revolting minority?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13312, 13313, 13314, 13315, 13316, 13317, 13318 ... 14269  Next