Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 98 guests

Post #532361  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 pm 

Early, I know but hoping we get better defensively on crosses and such.

Post #532362  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm 

...and not a fan of the style of the numbers but I will have to live with it.

Post #532363  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:03 pm 

Arsenal have signed highly-rated 18-year-old striker Mika Biereth.

He finished last season with 21 goals in 21 games for Fulham U18 (+ 13 assists).

Post #532364  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 pm 

Rich wrote:

He finished last season with 21 goals in 21 games for Fulham U18 (+ 13 assists).

Considering Biereth is only supposed to be 18, he looks old enough to be drawing his state pension. Okay, that’s a lighthearted exaggeration but I still think he comfortably (meaning by a few years) looks well into his twenties.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathleti ... eth/%3Famp

Post #532365  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:46 pm 

[quote="AmericanGooner"]This would have made a decent documentary. One of the good things about not being English (and there are too many to name.

From a bloody bell end yank :42laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter:

Post #532366  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
At the pub I used to watch games, I used to hear some people say such and such are a "cup team". With as many FA cups we have won, I haven't really heard that said about us. Maybe the term was used derisively. I am not sure. Maybe were called a cup team but I haven't personally heard other fans say that about us. I've heard it said of Sperz, even Chelsea (before Roman).

What a knob :1laughter:

Post #532367  Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:59 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
At the pub I used to watch games, I used to hear some people say such and such are a "cup team". With as many FA cups we have won, I haven't really heard that said about us. Maybe the term was used derisively. I am not sure. Maybe were called a cup team but I haven't personally heard other fans say that about us. I've heard it said of Sperz, even Chelsea (before Roman).

At this rate you’ll soon be blocked by our friend from across the Atlantic. Like many of us.

Post #532368  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:25 am 

Terry Henry wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

That pub AG refers to is the "Cock 'n Bull ' in Santa Monica in Cali, as is mentioned a few times on here.

Post #532369  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 am 

Zed wrote:
That pub AG refers to is the "Cock 'n Bull ' in Santa Monica in Cali, as is mentioned a few times on here.

Is that a real pub or an implication that’s what he talks a load of?

Post #532370  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:13 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Early, I know but hoping we get better defensively on crosses and such.

Thank you for posting this. One good post out of thirty thousand ain’t bad.

Post #532371  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 am 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...and I'm going to sound defeatist and negative...

You ?

:12hello-bye:

Post #532372  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:36 am 

Rich wrote:

We're going to win the league! :icon_mrgreen: But seriously, its always exciting getting young fresh talent.

Post #532373  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Arsenal have signed highly-rated 18-year-old striker Mika Biereth. Considering Biereth is only supposed to be 18, he looks old enough to be drawing his state pension.

My first impression was he must be a very experienced coach which had joined Arteta's back room staff.

Post #532374  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:33 pm 

Man U lost 4-2 to QPR yesterday, not seen it blown up and out of all proportion in the media.

Post #532375  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

We're going to win the league! :icon_mrgreen: But seriously, its always exciting getting young fresh talent.

Not sure you can gauge much from that compilation! A bloke and his dog walked past the camera at one stage

Post #532376  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:36 pm 

Suggestion is Roma have walked away from the Xhaka deal because they don’t want to meet the 20 million euro asking price even if its total peanuts. This will obviously mean Xhaka is a brilliant player to some on here :laughing7:

We will have to give him away in the end

Post #532377  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:58 pm 

Newcastle have offered 17 million plus 3 million in add ons for willock plus a 1.5 million loan fee for AMN for a season.

Not sure what to think about that. Doesn’t feel good enough

Post #532378  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Is that a real pub or an implication that’s what he talks a load of?

:happy7:

It is the actual name of the pub. AG has posted a photo of it awhile back. You make a good point though. :icon_razz:

Post #532379  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Newcastle have offered 17 million plus 3 million in add ons for willock plus a 1.5 million loan fee for AMN for a season.

Nowhere near enough. We can’t be the only club who doesn’t get to charge the English premium

Post #532380  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nowhere near enough. We can’t be the only club who doesn’t get to charge the English premium

It’s gotta be 25 for Willock hasn’t it really. The club should dig its heels in otherwise or get him to sign a new contract then loan him out again.

Problem is we are so desperate to offload players we aren’t in a position of bargaining strength

Post #532381  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

It’s gotta be 25 for Willock hasn’t it really. The club should dig its heels in otherwise or get him to sign a new contract then loan him out again.

Problem is we are so desperate to offload players we aren’t in a position of bargaining strength

It depends on the player. We are under no pressure to sell him. He is a young talented homegrown player. Contrast with Xhaka or Lacazette. Much older and far more likely to move outside the PL so potentially lower fee.

Post #532382  Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 pm 

Zed wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

I was about to say more 'bull' than 'cock', but actually Terry makes a good point.

Post #532383  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

The trouble is the only way to “get him to sign a new contract then loan him out again” is presumably by paying Willock a massive amount. If we do, then to loan him out again we’ll have to pay much of his salary while he’s playing for another club. We’ve been in that scenario before.

Willock’s current contract expires in two years, 2023. That means now is arguably the right time to sell without giving him a huge rise to extend it. As you say in your second paragraph, “we aren’t in a position of bargaining strength”. As a general rule, players have much if not most of the power these days.

Many fans will, like you, have doubts about the reported Newcastle offer for him, if the figures are anything close to the truth. But if we don’t accept their offer, as outlined above we either:

(1) have to pay him so much he’ll renew his contract. And if that’s to send him out on loan again, presumably have much of his salary while playing for someone else around our necks.

(2) Or, with two years remaining on his contract, if we send him out on loan without signing a new contract with us, when he returns from his loan he’ll be a year from a free transfer. That really is the territory of letting him go for peanuts next summer.

(3) It’s a difficult one. But accepting Newcastle’s current offer could be a serious third option.

Post #532384  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:44 am 

Goalscoring central midfielders are incredibly rare and everybody wants one. Just ask Chelsea how much difference Lampard made to them season after season.

The problem we have is that we don't yet know whether Willock's goalscoring streak last season was simply a purple patch or indicative of the kind of career he will have. There is no doubt he consistently gets himself into goalscoring positions so there is a chance he could evolve into a player who regularly bangs in 10+ goals a season.

If we sell Willock for £17m we are probably giving Newcastle a player with little downside and massive upside if he continues the way he did for them last season. English as well.

Post #532385  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:55 am 

From what I saw of Willock's goalscoring run and general play at Newcastle last year it was a team set to play perfectly to his strengths and not ask him to do much that he's not so good at. Newcastle counter attacked very well at the back end of the season so it allowed Willock as a 'free' central midfielder with license to join the counter and arrive late in the box. Newcastle don't dominate possession and look for their most advanced central mid to link play and probe with creative passes.

As much as we need goals from midfield I'm not convinced Willock is our answer to that. I think we need to push for the sale this summer.

Post #532386  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:01 am 

Lots of reports saying Ben White is done, will be official by Wednesday.

Post #532387  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:23 am 

Rich wrote:
Lots of reports saying Ben White is done, will be official by Wednesday.

I read somewhere White was getting back from his holiday on 26th July, so today. If that was the case, it sounds logical that the deal will be confirmed by Wednesday.

Post #532388  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:31 am 

Right back is an interesting position for us right now.
Bellerin, Cédric, Chambers

It seems Chambers is the first choice currently and the club are actively trying to sell Bellerin and Cédric is clearly the back up.

With the work we have to do signing another central mid and a creative mid it might be that a new right back might be too much work for us to do this summer or we don't ave the budget for it. If sacrificing getting a new right back meant we could get our first choice CM and creative mid then I'd be happy enough.

Chambers isn't spectacular but could be capable of doing a job that works with the managers plan and helps get the best out of others. He adds aerial ability to defending set pieces and crosses, has vastly improved his own crosses and his introduction to the team coincided with the best performances from Pépé.

In an ideal world we'd get rid of Bellerin and Cédric and be able to use the Bellerin money to buy a right footed Tierney and have Chambers as a back up RB and central defence cover.

Post #532389  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 pm 

Away from football I was pleased to see Tom Daley win Olympic gold in the diving this morning with his teammate Matty Lee.
Daley competed at his first Olympics amid much fanfare at 15 years old, lost his father at 17 years old and had to live his life and coming out very much in the public eye. He won 2 bronzes in previous Olympics and kept going and now at 27 wins a gold. Fair play

Post #532390  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:45 pm 

I'm not a Chambers fan at RB or even as CB fill in. I like him personally and wish him well but I think we can do better. Didn't he play a sweeper type role in the midfield on loan at one time? I could have gotten him mixed up with someone else we had on loan, but for some reason Chambers comes to mind, if so, and he did decently at it, perhaps as a back up for Partey perhaps?

As for Willock, I have always liked him and when he came on in some of those Europa games I cheered for him to do well. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be in Arteta's plans so we may as well get the most we can for him and wish him well. He knows how to get in dangerous positions either for a pass or a rebound. That's a rare knack. Freddie, sometimes Pires had that about them. Jeffers should have done that for us but injuries and a hot head getting a red card sealed his fate.

Ben White isn't done till ltg says it is. lol... :12hello-bye: at ltg. I'm excited about him coming though. I've long wanted to us have 2 quality CBs. No experiments and rolls of the dice that sometimes work (Kos) but usually doesn't (take your pick of a long list). I wish Arsenal had a bit of George Graham and buy quality defenders and not on the cheap hoping they will step up and do well.

I was hoping Willian would be gone, even more than Xhaka and its no secret how I feel about him. Although not more than some on here. And Guendouzi and Torreira still on the books, as well as Kols (who I actually like) and Elneny (who may have a place....maybe). You would think we'd have had deals set up just waiting for the first day of the window to finalize.

It will be interesting what kind of season Pépé will have. Will he continue to do well and get better or regress? Could be a make or break season for him. I want to see more of Martinelli as well. Lacazette knows he's not wanted and so far he's been a good professional. He works hard when he's in the game. I just hope he doesn't run out his contract with uninspired performances. I don't think so but you never know. Your club doesn't want you, you want to stay healthy for the next contract. Of course, doing well increases his contract but carries risk for injuries as well.

Post #532391  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 pm 

Hi all.

Somewhere between 24 and 72 hours from now, the Forum will be moved to another webhost.

The current webhost is ceasing operations.

The new webhost people is the parent company of our current one.

There will almost certainly be migration problems and/or the forum might be unaccesable for a period of time.

Have to see what happens when they do it.

Rog

Post #532392  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:51 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hi all.

Somewhere between 24 and 72 hours from now, the Forum will be moved to another webhost.

There will almost certainly be migration problems and/or the forum might be unaccesable for a period of time.

Rog

Jinx. :laughing7:

Post #532393  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal not willing to extend Lacazette's deal, want to invite offers in the region of £15m and find someone to take on his big salary.

If we can't sell Lacazette you have 2 options, new contract or keep him 1 more year and lose him for free
A new 3 year deal for Lacazette at £200k per week would cost us £31m and we have a player for 3 more year who is probably on the decline.
Losing him for free next year means we lose any potential fee (£15m)

I lament us losing players for free but in Lacazette's case it would be preferential to lose him for free than to give him a new deal in my view

Yeah I'd be comfortable with that. He's done reasonably well during his time (at times the only scorer) but often seemed a little bit off top form and mis kicking things. I think that fine margin prevented him from being a really top striker and he's only going to go one way in the next year or 2.

Post #532394  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:11 pm 

Thanks warrior. Tirelessly working and unfortunately seemingly thankless at times I have to think. It's not lost on us.

Post #532395  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:59 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hi all.

Rog

Lucky that we’ve got an ace technician to deal with it all. :58big-emoticons:

Post #532396  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Ben White isn't done till ltg says it is. lol... :12hello-bye: at ltg.

Sure isn’t.

Post #532397  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Lucky that we've got an ace technician to deal with it all. :58big-emoticons:

Oh thank Christ. Can you call him then please ?

I'm in way over my head here. ;-)

Post #532398  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm 

Actually, I agree. It's been 'done and dusted' in the press for a few days now but no appearance at Colney. It may very well happen, but its been 'finalized' for a few too many days for my liking. I hope it happens, I think it will happen, but then again, we've all seen a list of very good players that were 'done and dusted'.

Post #532399  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:07 pm 

Just had a look at Arsenal.com. It lists the squad by grouping players as either goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, and forwards. Willian is included with the forwards. Myself, I think Smith Rowe should have been too, but anyway the nine midfielders listed were Partey, Saka, Smith Rowe, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lokongo, Elneny, Willock and Xhaka.

I still think of Saka as more of a free role wide player rather than someone I associate with a traditional central midfield role. Also, for me Smith Rowe is a deep lying number 10 forward or a wider player.

If I’m right, that leaves seven central midfielders: Partey, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lokongo, Elneny, Willock and Xhaka. Of them, I see Partey as the only automatic starter. Torreira appears desperate to leave, and Xhaka seems eager to. I’ve read Maitland-Niles would prefer to move. Willock seems likely to go to Newcastle, either on a permanent transfer or another loan. I’ve never seen Lokongo and for all I know could be absolutely brilliant or totally useless. Realistically he’s probably somewhere in between. Elneny is okay as a squad back-up, but I’m not sure about him being a first team regular.

But that doesn’t look a strong central midfield to me. Hence I agree with those who say strengthening central midfield has to be the priority this summer.

Post #532400  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:45 pm 

Matchoi Djalo, 18 year old wonderkid. Supposed Portuguese target, a winger, at £1M.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13307, 13308, 13309, 13310, 13311, 13312, 13313 ... 14269  Next