Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 110 guests

Post #532281  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:56 am 

Ash wrote:
david.d wrote:
I would love to know the thinking behind Arteta and Edu even contemplating spending that sort of money on a bang average keeper like this.
What on earth do they see in this guy???
I really do question their sanity if they would be prepared to spend even 20 million on Ramsdale.
Just winds me up thinking of it.
Just beggars belief.

James gunnerblog said they like that “he’s quite good with his feet” is he? Prem experience. And I suppose young and homegrown completes the square equalling £30M+ apparently.

What’s somewhat ironic is Leno was literally touted as a ball playing keeper especially compared to Čech. Remember Leverkusen trolling Čech on Twitter after one of his dodgy displays with the ball at his feet? I think that’s seen an area of weakness for Leno that could be improved on in the market.

I don’t think Leno is anything like as bad distributing the ball as some do. If some think it’s a weakness, for me it’s a weakness that just isn’t there. That isn’t me saying he’s at a Neuer level. Just that to call it a weakness is not only an exaggeration, it’s grossly over the top.

Look, I’ve no idea what Ramsdale is really like. I’ve said a few times that the only games I watch these days are those involving Arsenal. Unless a player does something eye catching against us, either good or bad, I’m unlikely to notice him. But however good, bad or indifferent Ramsdale is, I think the criticism of Leno’s distribution is basically unfair.

Post #532282  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:14 am 

I'll let Rich (or another brave soul) say if this has any chance of coming to fruition...

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/arsenal ... y-abraham/
Arsenal should sign Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham

Post #532283  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:07 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Read an article we are having trouble selling Lacazette. Even in the low 20s. He's 28 so its pretty much now or never. I like him though. I like him probably a wee bit more than the average gooner. Now, I don't know if he can fit into Arteta's set up but as a player, I like him.

Lacazette is 30

Post #532284  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'll let Rich (or another brave soul) say if this has any chance of coming to fruition...

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/arsenal ... y-abraham/
Arsenal should sign Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham

For the life of me I can never understand why people put together these "Welcome To Arsenal" clips until a player has actually signed for us.

Post #532285  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:13 am 

tomc wrote:
For the life of me I can never understand why people put together these "Welcome To Arsenal" clips until a player has actually signed for us.

Couldn’t agree more Tom. From what I have seen, Abraham joining Arsenal is a damn site less certain than how it looks for White, and I’m a long way from being certain it’ll definitely happen with White either.

Post #532286  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

Couldn’t agree more Tom.

True, but pretty much everything about being a football fan is baffling and pointless, and posting those videos is harmless enough.

Post #532287  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 am 

I don't think it's actual fans doing those clips though, but channels dedicated to compilation videos. They probably just put a team name in the title to generate clicks.

Post #532288  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 am 

Your dealing with a different generation now. Kids seem to watch more you tube than television these days. Just look at AFTV as an example 1.3 million subscribers ! That’s mental.

People setting up channels to create content blah blah blah. It’s a whole new era

I have a lot of hope for Britains future from what I’ve seen of our younger generation from having children and their mates. More technology centric, many have a great work ethic despite being young, and they seem entirely removed from the horrendous outdated disgusting rhetoric that LTG encountered yesterday and still exists in older generations. Really hope the politicians don’t inhibit these kids futures.

Post #532289  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I don't think it's actual fans doing those clips though, but channels dedicated to compilation videos. They probably just put a team name in the title to generate clicks.

That's exactly right.

Post #532290  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:12 am 

Link for the day that I'm least likely to click on:

Trevor Sinclair tears into Arsenal's transfer policy amid Aaron Ramsdale pursuit [Mail Online, link not provided, call me a killjoy]

If it was finger-on-the-pulsers like Danny Mills or Simon Jordan, maybe I'd be interested. That bicycle-kick goal all those years ago was pretty good, though.

Post #532291  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Depressing and kind of scary.

Just back from playing at my tennis club. One player there who ‘follows’ Arsenal and knows that I do says to me “So Arsenal have signed some more players then”.

He follows this up with “two more black ones”.

I say “is that a problem?” and he replies “Well no, but….”

I say “What do you mean but?” and he replies “Well it would be nice to have a mix.”

Good grief!!!

Racism alive and well in Sussex.

Dick Advocat was manager of Zenit St. Petersburg. He was told he could not sign any black players. He said if Pele was here and we could sign him would you say no. The supporters said no. Quite amazing how stupid some people are.

Post #532292  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:46 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Couldn’t agree more Tom.

True, but pretty much everything about being a football fan is baffling and pointless, and posting those videos is harmless enough.

Largely true, but then there is this:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nOtNpAvwGo

Post #532293  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not 7000 is it ? 294k in the last 7 days

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

Sadly so. None of it good at all.

Makes the concept of freedom day and crowded events seem even more bizarre.

Yes, if the plan was to breed more variants of the virus, they could hardly go about it better.

Post #532294  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:32 am 

Decaf wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Good point! And being a fan is like that. The link between (for me) the Jennings/Rice/O'Leary/Brady/Supermac/Stapleton era and the current bunch gets more tenuous every year. But then a Saka or Smith Rowe pops up when you least expect it. Just when I thought I was out...

Post #532295  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:40 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Good point! And being a fan is like that. The link between (for me) the Jennings/Rice/O'Leary/Brady/Supermac/Stapleton era and the current bunch gets more tenuous every year. But then a Saka or Smith Rowe pops up when you least expect it. Just when I thought I was out...

Saka is total class, on and off the pitch. 19 years old, unbelievable. I could barely do my shoelaces up when I was 19.

We must enjoy him while we can.

Post #532296  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:06 pm 

RE: the links to Tammy Abraham. It is an interesting one because currently our two main strikers, Lacazette and Aubameyang are probably our two highest profile and highest earning players - but in my opinion neither are actually suited to the way I think Arteta wants to play or suited to the idea of the 'modern forward'. Of course both Lacazette and Aubameyang have good qualities but I could easily see a situation whereby the Arsenal hierarchy are actively looking at a way of moving both on sooner rather than later.
We have Nketiah who's time at Arsenal is surely up, and for my money he also doesn't fit in to Arteta's style or fit the 'modern forward' typology.

Then we have Balogun and Martinelli, both fit that 'modern forward' - quick, high work rate, flexible and mobile strikers - its yet to be seen how much Arteta likes them. Abraham would represent a very different type of striker to the two of them. If you move Nketiah and Lacazette on for £15m each and pay an extra £5-10m for Abraham it could be seen as good long term planning. Abraham in 4 years is probably still likely to command a similar fee he's being priced at now as long as he has at least 2 years left on a contract and no major injuries that slow him down.

My reservation is would we be buying a striker who is just that level below elite and who's ceiling is never going to get him to that elite status.

Post #532297  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:12 pm 

https://arseblog.com/2021/07/getting-high/
Good blog saying the things I've said with more eloquence about targeting and signing ball playing defenders to improve our attacking output. Similar reasons for the signing of more mobile central midfielders who can progress the ball more quickly, even if that means dribbling it.

Post #532298  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:13 pm 

Smith-Rowe has signed a new contract and will wear the No.10

Post #532299  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 pm 

Emile Smith Rowe gets a new contract and new squad number in 2 completely unrelated incidents :laughing7:

Post #532300  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Finally

Emile Smith Rowe SIGNS!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!

I was worried with those Villa bids and nothing materialising with the new contract so bloody relieved we have finally tied him down.

Just happened to be checking Newsnow and saw Emile Smith Rowe name corner of my eye but didnt think anything of it and instead clicked on a story about Maddison.

Then once finished reading scrolled down to be met with the words Smith Rowe signs new deal

GET IN THERE!!!
VILLA DO ONE.....

Post #532301  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:09 pm 

david.d wrote:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Finally

Emile Smith Rowe SIGNS!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!

I was worried with those Villa bids and nothing materialising with the new contract so bloody relieved we have finally tied him down.

Just happened to be checking Newsnow and saw Emile Smith Rowe name corner of my eye but didnt think anything of it and instead clicked on a story about Maddison.

Then once finished reading scrolled down to be met with the words Smith Rowe signs new deal

GET IN THERE!!!
VILLA DO ONE.....

Yes, great news - good point about Villa! At the end of 2019/20, Huddersfield fans were raving about him after the six-month(?) loan there, talking about him as a future England international, and I hoped they were right. It's a relief that we'll get to find out here, rather than at Villa Park, where we're getting our regular Emi Martinez updates.

Post #532302  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:40 pm 

By the way, has there been any discussion on the forum about the hoops on the socks on the home kit this season? What are they thinking? Usually there's some half-baked nostalgia somewhere in there in a ridiculously pretentious media release about the kit's visual themes, but all I can think of is Nayim from the halfway line. Am I missing something?

Post #532303  Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
By the way, has there been any discussion on the forum about the hoops on the socks on the home kit this season? What are they thinking? Usually there's some half-baked nostalgia somewhere in there in a ridiculously pretentious media release about the kit's visual themes, but all I can think of is Nayim from the halfway line. Am I missing something?

In the fifties and maybe into the early sixties Arsenal always played with hooped blue and white socks so I guess there could be some “half baked nostalgia somewhere in there” if I understand your post correctly. And yes before you ask they were indeed blue and white

Post #532304  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:23 am 

azinoz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

In the fifties and maybe into the early sixties Arsenal always played with hooped blue and white socks so I guess there could be some “half baked nostalgia somewhere in there” if I understand your post correctly. And yes before you ask they were indeed blue and white

In my first season (1967/68) the socks were white with two navy blue hoops above the ankle. Can’t remember if they were kept for the 1968/69 season, but they might have been. In the 1969/70 season (when we won the Fairs Cup) the socks were definitely red with a thin white hoop near the top, and in the 1970/71 double year too. And onwards for quite a few years.

My favourite socks are white with some sort of red (NOT blue) trim on them. I prefer predominantly white socks to predominantly red socks. I just think they look better. Personally I feel this season’s socks have too much red on them.

Post #532305  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:00 am 

True, but pretty much everything about being a football fan is baffling and pointless, and posting those videos is harmless enough.[/quote]
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nOtNpAvwGo[/quote]

:53big-emoticons:

Post #532306  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 am 

So happy that Emile Smith Rowe has signed a new long term contract :53big-emoticons:

Post #532307  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:56 am 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/arse ... -campbell/

If I were in charge, I would not sign any player who clearly prioritises another team over Arsenal. Why risk having a top class player, whose head will be turned the minute a bigger (used loosely) team comes around? Not unless we have the bargaining power to move that player on with a profit. But seeing how we have not done well in this front, chances are we would have to let the reluctant (to stay) player go.

Locatelli is smart to choose a team playing in the ECL over us. Forget about him.

Then again, this article is likely nothing but hollow reporting.

Post #532308  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:57 am 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -Rowe.html

I'll be sad to see Willock move on. But don't think he wants to stay on as a squad player. Plus, Arteta clearly does not rate him as highly as Bruce. Sell him to Newcastle, but at a very good price.

Post #532309  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:18 am 

Rich wrote:
RE: the links to Tammy Abraham. It is an interesting one because currently our two main strikers, Lacazette and Aubameyang are probably our two highest profile and highest earning players - but in my opinion neither are actually suited to the way I think Arteta wants to play or suited to the idea of the 'modern forward'. Of course both Lacazette and Aubameyang have good qualities but I could easily see a situation whereby the Arsenal hierarchy are actively looking at a way of moving both on sooner rather than later.
We have Nketiah who's time at Arsenal is surely up, and for my money he also doesn't fit in to Arteta's style or fit the 'modern forward' typology.

Then we have Balogun and Martinelli, both fit that 'modern forward' - quick, high work rate, flexible and mobile strikers - its yet to be seen how much Arteta likes them. Abraham would represent a very different type of striker to the two of them. If you move Nketiah and Lacazette on for £15m each and pay an extra £5-10m for Abraham it could be seen as good long term planning. Abraham in 4 years is probably still likely to command a similar fee he's being priced at now as long as he has at least 2 years left on a contract and no major injuries that slow him down.

My reservation is would we be buying a striker who is just that level below elite and who's ceiling is never going to get him to that elite status.

Unless the person is the next Messi, I am against buying for positions we are sorted in, in comparison to other positions. At the end of the season we had a big need for a central defender and playmaking center mid. Until that's sorted, we shouldn't be looking at spending big on other positions. What's big? Any amount that will reduce the amount needed to buy a quality CB and CM.

I'd get a winger before we got a center forward.

Post #532310  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:17 am 

Willian.....still no takers

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/genuine-r ... -continues

Post #532311  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:27 am 

I'm seeing a very few faces coming in, and I like the ones so far. I don't think we'll be able to shed the extra fat much. I hope so, but we will likely end up paying their wages for the benefit of another club...as usual. I'd have thought Xhaka would be gone by now, he's still on the books, among others: Kols, Elneny, Torreira, Willian, do we want Soares? Mari? (who I like actually). AMN, Willock, Bellerin, Chambers, are they in Arteta's plans?

Post #532312  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:34 am 

Kane to City for £160m? City are bonkers if they’re paying that. Kane will be 28 next week and has a more regular history of injuries and a habit of taking some time to get back up to match fitness after. You could get Haaland or probably Mbappe for a similar price.

From Spurs side £160m would be huge and could easily facilitate a rebuild in a number of positions. I’m still amazed no big club comes in seriously for Son. He would improve most teams.

Post #532313  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:59 am 

Rich wrote:
Kane to City for £160m? City are bonkers if they’re paying that. Kane will be 28 next week and has a more regular history of injuries and a habit of taking some time to get back up to match fitness after. You could get Haaland or probably Mbappe for a similar price.

From Spurs side £160m would be huge and could easily facilitate a rebuild in a number of positions. I’m still amazed no big club comes in seriously for Son. He would improve most teams.

Hi Rich,

Great to see FFP working its magic.

A double whammy for us in that it strengthens an already brilliant team and, as you say, gives one of our rivals the money to finance a big rebuild (assuming the money is not used to pay off stadium debts).

One thing about Daniel Levy is that he gets top dollar for his best players when they leave.

Post #532314  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 am 

160 million pounds or 160 thousand pounds, does it really matter? FFP obviously doesn't work. Okay, the Sheikh doesn't buy himself a couple yachts this year, how does it impact him?

It's bonkers to the rest of us, but not them. A coworker and I got dropped off at the wrong terminal once,and paid the equivalent of about 10 pounds for a taxi to run us to the next terminal, a 1-2 minute drive at best. It
was close enough to leg it over there perhaps, but we'd have been a bit sweaty but didn't want to take the chance even though we had an hour to get there. The airport bus came periodically. Bonkers to pay that? Yeah. But in the bigger scope of things, we didn't miss that money.

City are operating in the Bezos of football world. Money isn't an issue. It should be, but sadly it isn't.

Post #532315  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:16 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Great to see FFP working its magic.

A double whammy for us in that it strengthens an already brilliant team and, as you say, gives one of our rivals the money to finance a big rebuild (assuming the money is not used to pay off stadium debts).

One thing about Daniel Levy is that he gets top dollar for his best players when they leave.

Morning socrates. Surely a question has to be asked how reliable these transfer fees in the media are? I suppose Daniel Levy, if he’s going to sell Kane, will want the Tottenham fan base to be as comfortable with the sale as possible. That’ll hopefully (from Levy’s standpoint) make the supporters at least understand selling their best player and captain. That makes it feasible he would ask someone trustworthy (who won’t reveal what he or she later did) to release an inflated figure to a contract from the media.

But for reasons Rich mentions (probably being able to get the younger Haaland or Mbappe for similar, or even less), would City really pay £160m for Kane? Myself, I remain to be convinced.

Similarly, I still have doubts that if White does end up joining Arsenal, that Brighton will get £50m for a central defender who is allegedly not anything special in the air and wasn’t considered the standard required for England’s final Euro squad. However good at passing and dribbling he is.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, my advice is not to trust transfer gossip either in terms of what players are rumoured to be moving clubs, and the transfer fees being suggested. My own policy is to wait until a transfer is confirmed on Arsenal.com before knowing we’ve gained or lost a player, and even then it’ll be for an undisclosed fee.

Post #532316  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 am 

Rich wrote:

News this morning saying Son has signed a new contract.

Post #532317  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yep - 4 more years. He's 29, never won a thing but could walk in to more successful sides. As surprised as I am that no one seems to have seriously bid for him I'm equally surprised that he hasn't had enough and wants a new challenge and trophies like Kane has seemingly done

Post #532318  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:09 am 

I learned a few new thinigs about Le Tiss. Didn't know he was a childhood fan of Spurs. Some of these clips were Bergkamp-esque. And had he took the sperz offer, their front line would have been unstoppable.

Post #532319  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:13 am 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Yep - 4 more years. He's 29, never won a thing but could walk in to more successful sides. As surprised as I am that no one seems to have seriously bid for him I'm equally surprised that he hasn't had enough and wants a new challenge and trophies like Kane has seemingly done

With Kane leaving, I'd say they have offered him a big contract. A bit like our situation with Alexis and Özil, they couldn't afford to lose the two of them and for it to happen in the same window would be a huge hit.

Post #532320  Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:41 am 

Rich wrote:

I may be wearing "rose-tinted specs" on this but every article I've read on this says £160m DEAL
In my parallel world that means that the total deal - transfer and contract - is worth £160m
With weekly wages of £400k, the contract takes up £83.2m, which would leave c£80m for the transfer - more reflective of the current market.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13305, 13306, 13307, 13308, 13309, 13310, 13311 ... 14269  Next