Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 97 guests

Post #531081  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Tierney knocked out so should be able to get a decent full preseason with us after a bit of a holiday. Xhaka and Saka still involved but I can't think of too many others who are away. I think we have Gabriel and Martinelli in the Brazil Olympics squad.

Massively important pre season, Arteta's first proper pre-season, we need to get our signings done asap and hit the ground running at the start of the season to take advantage. We don't have any long term injuries at the moment either - first time in a while I can think we've gone in to a season without someone on a long term injury.

Martinelli missed the final cut for the Brazil squad.

Post #531082  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:34 pm 

If England will play the runner up of Group F (France, Germany, Portugal and Hungary), am I right in thinking for England to get France in the next round (the last sixteen), Germany have to beat Hungary while France and Portugal have to draw their game? I think that would put Germany top of the group, France second, Portugal third and Hungary fourth.

Post #531083  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
Could've sworn I saw TG on the Independent live sit of fans arriving at Wembley. :14laughter:

Easy to see, he was flailing his arms in exasperation. :angel9:

:12hello-bye: :12hello-bye:

It was me

Horrendous England performance lightened up by a young lad with bundles of talent and spirit. Well done B

Told you :laughing7:

He was wonderful.

Post #531084  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:20 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Even from a financial standpoint it would be a horrible decision - Villa are reported to have bid £25m, and are now supposedly raising that to £30m. If Smith-Rowe continues on his current trajectory we could easily fetch twice as much in just a year or two. There's absolutely nothing to gain for Arsenal by selling.

Hi Haz,

Smith-Rowe won’t be going anywhere unless someone makes an offer to good to refuse and that won’t happen at this stage of his career because he hasn’t yet done enough to justify a monster offer.

A stellar next season and offers might begin to get tasty but not yet.

Post #531085  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Could've sworn I saw TG on the Independent live sit of fans arriving at Wembley. :14laughter:

Easy to see, he was flailing his arms in exasperation. :angel9:

Did he have his ‘Xhaka For The Guillotine’ t-shirt on?

Couldn't say really. :angel8:
:icon_compress:

Post #531086  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Tierney knocked out so should be able to get a decent full preseason with us after a bit of a holiday. Xhaka and Saka still involved but I can't think of too many others who are away. I think we have Gabriel and Martinelli in the Brazil Olympics squad.

Massively important pre season, Arteta's first proper pre-season, we need to get our signings done asap and hit the ground running at the start of the season to take advantage. We don't have any long term injuries at the moment either - first time in a while I can think we've gone in to a season without someone on a long term injury.

I read somewhere that we'd refused permission for Brazil to pick Martinelli for the Olympics, as is our right apparently. I think Gab may be going though I'm not certain.

Post #531087  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:08 pm 

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I read somewhere that we'd refused permission for Brazil to pick Martinelli for the Olympics, as is our right apparently. I think Gab may be going though I'm not certain.

He is.

https://dailycannon.com/2021/06/gabriel ... -olympics/

Post #531088  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:38 pm 

Depressed market

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57588639

Post #531089  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Well they bid over £90m last year sooo

Post #531090  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:06 pm 

In unrelated news I haven't had this covid thing yet, so I'm not sure why everyone keeps going on about a 'pandemic'. I'm perfectly healthy.

Post #531091  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Good player= costs a ton of money
Bad player = depressed market

Post #531092  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
This extract from Jonathan Liew's piece on Saka in this morning's Grauniad:

There are a few reasons why Saka feels like he’s slipped under the radar a bit. First of all, his raw numbers are really nothing special. He has just five goals and three assists for Arsenal this season. More often than not, he’s the man who plays the pass before the pass: or in Arsenal’s case the pass before the pass before Nicolas Pépé puts the ball straight out for a goal kick. So often this season Saka has felt like a sparkling player being tethered down by the dunderheads around him.

I think that’s grossly unfair on Pépé. But despite that, the comments do explain why I think people who focus heavily on assists and goals scored as the reliable measure of a player’s effectiveness are hopelessly misguided.

Indeed. A good point that is spoiled by the cheap and nasty joke at the expense not only of Pépé but on our other 'dunderhead' forwards.

Post #531093  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

No, the depressed market is a fact. But some clubs still have financial muscles to flex. It's really not that complicated.

Post #531094  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:24 pm 

There was a lot of snow here in Sweden in February. I therefore call nonsense on this whole climate change business.

Post #531095  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 pm 

Sweden finished top of their group, thereby proving once and for all that they are a thrilling and brilliant football team.

Post #531096  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Good argument = priceless
Bad argument = rinse and repeat

Post #531097  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:46 pm 

It's all about what teams are interested in a certain player. Premier League teams generally have a lot more money to spend because of the amount of money that's in the league. That's why Nat Phillips is reported to be leaving Liverpool for about the same we're getting for Xhaka - and he's going to a side that was fighting relegation last season. Meanwhile Lazio are reported to be struggling scrounging together 15-20m euros for Torreira. And we're supposed to be selling Mavropanos after an impressive season in Bundesliga to Stuttgart for £7m.

This is nothing new, but has been amplified by the pandemic - we got Tierney for roughly the same fee as Sheffield United paid for Rhian Brewster.

Post #531098  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 pm 

Pogba is a different player entirely for France.

Post #531099  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:39 pm 

Expecting Germany to turn this around, but I've been well impressed with Hungary this tournament. They had an impossible task with that group, but they've given it everything they have.

Post #531100  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 pm 

John McAfee Reportedly Dead From Suspected Suicide In Spanish Jail

Spanish media reported the 75-year-old former antivirus pioneer was found dead in his cell.

John McAfee, the antivirus-pioneer-turned-cryptocurrency-enthusiast, alleged murderer, and alleged tax evader, was found dead in a prison cell in Spain, according to multiple reports by Spanish media.

Post #531101  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Expecting Germany to turn this around, but I've been well impressed with Hungary this tournament. They had an impossible task with that group, but they've given it everything they have.

Wow. 2-1 Hungary.

Post #531102  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:30 pm 

Zed wrote:

Spanish media reported the 75-year-old former antivirus pioneer was found dead in his cell.

John McAfee, the antivirus-pioneer-turned-cryptocurrency-enthusiast, alleged murderer, and alleged tax evader, was found dead in a prison cell in Spain, according to multiple reports by Spanish media.

Busy fella wasn’t he

Post #531103  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm 

10 minutes left for Germany to save themselves. One thing you can be sure of they’ll keep going to the end. Either way, an epic game and an epic performance by Hungary who as Haz said have done themselves proud.

Edit - and there it is Goretzka 2-2

Post #531104  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Pogba is a different player entirely for France.

Has to be seen as a failure on Man Utds part not getting more out of him. He's obviously not without fault there, but in terms of talent he's a top 3-5 midfielder in the world.

Post #531105  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
10 minutes left for Germany to save themselves. One thing you can be sure of they’ll keep going to the end. Either way, an epic game and an epic performance by Hungary who as Haz said have done themselves proud.

Edit - and there it is Goretzka 2-2

25 minutes away from advancing from that group, more than anyone could've asked of them.

Post #531106  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Villa are coming back with an improved bid of £30m for Smith-Rowe. It seems a strange one that Villa think they can sign him from us. I wouldn't put it beyond clubs to make 'posturing' bids - bids that they know won't happen but show the ambition of the club to the fans. I'm sure we've done it in the past.

It would be tempting to just string Villa along until the end of the window making them think they have a chance.

Well as an Arsenal fan we know a fair bit about posturing bids. Suarez and Mbappe just off the top of my head.

Post #531107  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 pm 

Flicking back and forth between the two games and, good grief, what has happened to Leroy Sane since he left City. He looks complete garbage.

Germany bang average on tonight's performance. No out-and-out striker, very slow in their build-up, Hummels very slow on the turn. Just lacking quality really.

England have been pretty average too so it could be an interesting game. England must fancy theiur chances.

Post #531108  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

Busy fella wasn’t he

Yeh. Apparentntly wanted to avoid extradition to the US to face his crimes.

Post #531109  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 am 

Will have to keep reminding TG he's a lying get as he appears to ignore postsc that challenge him directly on what he says and does.

I've not seen such a fantasist since I last read AG's earlier posts. Strange how he goes quiet for long periods then bounces back with more repetitive quotes than TG.

Hmm AG TG are they the Jekel and Hyde of this forum? :42laughter:

Post #531110  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:30 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Will have to keep reminding TG he's a lying get as he appears to ignore postsc that challenge him directly on what he says and does.

I've not seen such a fantasist since I last read AG's earlier posts. Strange how he goes quiet for long periods then bounces back with more repetitive quotes than TG.

What are you harping on about now? ? Because I pointed out your covid denial nonsense. It’s clearly wound you up.

How many signatures you up to on your awesome petition ? You managed to reach the landmark figure of 2! :laughing7:

Spending your time creating the petitions and telling people it’s an over reaction. I’d suggest taking a long hard look at yourself.

However you did think the EU owned transport for London in a secret conspiracy so what do we expect ? :15laughter:

Post #531111  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:57 am 

Southgate will be crazy not to play Saka againest Germany. His ability to win the ball in midfield and drive forward would be effective againest kroos and gundogan who are older legs.

It’s a massive call but he’s got to Drop Foden. I’m not expecting him to as the city contingent seem to have a massive sway over the national set up.

Strangely optimistic on the game, likely shortlived before an inevitable exit on penalties

Post #531112  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Southgate will be crazy not to play Saka againest Germany. His ability to win the ball in midfield and drive forward would be effective againest kroos and gundogan who are older legs.

It’s a massive call but he’s got to Drop Foden. I’m not expecting him to as the city contingent seem to have a massive sway over the national set up.

Strangely optimistic on the game, likely shortlived before an inevitable exit on penalties

I'm wondering whether conservative Southgate will go back to a back 5 with wing backs to match up with Germany.
I think it would be a mistake. I'd keep the same front 4, it seemed to have a nice balance of Kane as the primary striker - and make sure he doesn't drop too deep and gets in the box, grealish floating and committing defenders, saka picking it up and driving forward and sterling to add a pace threat on the shoulder.

Post #531113  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:28 pm 

I was disappointed, once we’d got it back to 2-2, that Germany didn’t go all out for the winner last night. Had we got it, that would have put England against France in the next round. Many people see France as the favourites and therefore would probably be more likely to knock England out than Germany are.

Sorry, but while I’m relatively patriotic when it comes to issues like politics and economics, I am another Kim Philby when it comes to sport. Particularly with football, but also cricket to a lesser extent.

Post #531114  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 pm 

Fabrizio Romano on Lokonga: "He would love to join Arsenal, he was contacted by Italian clubs, Napoli & Atalanta, but he said ‘my priority is Arsenal’, so let’s see if Arsenal will decide to complete the deal in the next days"

Post #531115  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

What are you harping on about now? ? Because I pointed out your covid denial nonsense. It’s clearly wound you up.

How many signatures you up to on your awesome petition ? You managed to reach the landmark figure of 2! :laughing7:

So, you're criticising someone because their petition didn't get enough likes? Are you 12 years old?

Post #531116  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:46 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

So, you're criticising someone because their petition didn't get enough likes? Are you 12 years old?

Nope just someone who hates covid denial freaks because it took someone close to me.

Post #531117  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Nope just someone who hates covid denial freaks because it took someone close to me.

Sorry to hear that, but that isn't what your post addressed. You were criticising him for his lack of likes, chuckling at the 'landmark figure of 2' for his 'awesome petition'. Literally.

Post #531118  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:59 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Sorry to hear that, but that isn't what your post addressed. You were chuckling at the 'landmark figure of 2' for his 'awesome petition'. Literally.

Well yes, I find it funny.

Any preposterous idiots pretending this horrendous thing isn’t serious are a complete joke to me and watching these clowns make total pricks of themselves is a source of continual amusement.

Do you need any more clarification or for me to be more specific or does this answer your question sufficiently ?

Post #531119  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Sorry to hear that, but that isn't what your post addressed. You were chuckling at the 'landmark figure of 2' for his 'awesome petition'. Literally.

Any preposterous idiots pretending this horrendous thing isn’t serious are a complete joke to me and watching these clowns make total pricks of themselves is a source of continual amusement.

Do you need any more clarification or for me to be more specific or does this answer your question sufficiently ?

You were chuckling at someone for their lack of popularity - ('landmark figure of 2' - tee hee) that's what your smiley face was about. It's called punching down. And it isn't as hilarious as you think it is.

Post #531120  Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:13 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You were chuckling at someone for their lack of popularity - ('landmark figure of 2' - tee hee) that's what your smiley face was about. It's called punching down. And it isn't as hilarious as you think it is.

It’s not a popularity contest if your cause is *%^@*** rancid and that’s what the comment was about not anything else.

However interpret as you wish.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13275, 13276, 13277, 13278, 13279, 13280, 13281 ... 14269  Next