Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 108 guests

Post #531041  Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
Hi Bernard,

It isn't Covid related. The format for Euro 2020 which was agreed several years ago was that it would be played in cities all across Europe.

With the exception of largely empty stadia, I think it is the biggest negative about this tournament. It is daft that a number of countries get to play their games at home while others are travelling all over the continent.

Also, there is something missing in not having a host nation.

Thanks dec. you’re right it seems daft to give what seems like so many countries having so many home games. If there’s a host nation one can understand them having an advantage. But why should England not only benefit from all their group games being at Wembley, but the final if they reach it when they’re not the host nation? Will their knockout rounds before the final be at Wembley too?

Their next game (last 16 will be at Wembley). No quarter finals are at Wembley. Both semi finals and the final are at Wembley.

Post #531042  Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:40 pm 

Nice one. Saka is man of the match. Well done that man.

Post #531043  Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Thanks dec. you’re right it seems daft to give what seems like so many countries having so many home games. If there’s a host nation one can understand them having an advantage. But why should England not only benefit from all their group games being at Wembley, but the final if they reach it when they’re not the host nation? Will their knockout rounds before the final be at Wembley too?

Their next game (last 16 will be at Wembley). No quarter finals are at Wembley. Both semi finals and the final are at Wembley.

So if England reach the final, the only game they won’t have at Wembley will be the quarter final. One single game off having the home advantage England had in Euro 96 as the home nation? What a joke. Hope they get knocked out.

Post #531044  Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

So if England reach the final, the only game they won’t have at Wembley will be the quarter final. One single game off having the home advantage England had in Euro 96 as the home nation? What a joke. Hope they get knocked out.

Every chance they'll be playing your lot next Bernard.

Post #531045  Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:18 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Every chance they'll be playing your lot next Bernard.

Is there? Multiply the last sentence of my previous post enormously.

Post #531046  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 am 

Zed wrote:
Could've sworn I saw TG on the Independent live sit of fans arriving at Wembley. :14laughter:

Easy to see, he was flailing his arms in exasperation. :angel9:

:12hello-bye: :12hello-bye:

It was me

Horrendous England performance lightened up by a young lad with bundles of talent and spirit. Well done B

Told you :laughing7:

Post #531047  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:15 am 

Sterling not interested in swapping to Spurs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -deal.html

Post #531048  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I have regularly seen reports as to how Brexit is affecting the general populace negatively. I have yet to see a single example of a benefit.

Hopefully somewhere along the line…..

The vaccine rollout would be rightly lauded as a success however our desperation for a remedy was definitely heightened by us being riddled with covid. So yes maybe you got a jab a couple months quicker because of it. Not sure that’s logical justification for wrecking several industries though

Well that wasn't what you was saying when I was calling for an end to lockdowns? I suppose that makes you sergeant Hindsight!

:42laughter:

Post #531049  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:24 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Turkeys still think Christmas is a great idea

https://twitter.com/bylinetv/status/140 ... 45190?s=21

I have regularly seen reports as to how Brexit is affecting the general populace negatively. I have yet to see a single example of a benefit.

Hopefully somewhere along the line…..

You're obviously reading the wrong newspaper and watching the wrong news stations or maybe you have your head in the sand?

As a one off try reading the Express for starters :42laughter:

Post #531050  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 am 

:14laughter: t
bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The vaccine rollout would be rightly lauded as a success however our desperation for a remedy was definitely heightened by us being riddled with covid. So yes maybe you got a jab a couple months quicker because of it. Not sure that’s logical justification for wrecking several industries though

Well that wasn't what you was saying when I was calling for an end to lockdowns? I suppose that makes you sergeant Hindsight!

:42laughter:

Did you get the vaccine? If you did you're a total hypocrite

You’re ridiculous anti lockdown petition showed you up mate :58big-emoticons:

Post #531051  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 am 

Did I ever say I was anti vax. You lie every time your mouth moves and the *%^@ you make up is beyond belief.

Read this Take that, Brussels! Brexit Britain booms as UK investment surges even DURING a pandemic

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... p_AppShare

Post #531052  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 am 

I thought Saka's back to goal play was really good last night, his first touch is always sound and then he has the strength to hold off the pressing defender and often rolling or turning him and driving forward 40-50 yards. Easy to see why Southgate picked him as he gives a dimension that was missing from the first two games.

Also, Saka has made 3 starts and got 3 man of the match awards for England

Post #531053  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:23 am 

Apparently Villa are coming back with an improved bid of £30m for Smith-Rowe. It seems a strange one that Villa think they can sign him from us. I wouldn't put it beyond clubs to make 'posturing' bids - bids that they know won't happen but show the ambition of the club to the fans. I'm sure we've done it in the past.

It would be tempting to just string Villa along until the end of the window making them think they have a chance.

Post #531054  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Villa are coming back with an improved bid of £30m for Smith-Rowe. It seems a strange one that Villa think they can sign him from us. I wouldn't put it beyond clubs to make 'posturing' bids - bids that they know won't happen but show the ambition of the club to the fans. I'm sure we've done it in the past.

It would be tempting to just string Villa along until the end of the window making them think they have a chance.

Might doing your second paragraph make Smith Rowe wonder if Arsenal could be tempted to accept an offer for him? If so, I would be against it. Also, I’ve never had any problem with Villa. A fine old, established and traditional club. Why deliberately try to mess up their transfer window? I think that would make us look petty, if not somewhat pathetic.

Post #531055  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:03 am 

This extract from Jonathan Liew's piece on Saka in this morning's Grauniad:

There are a few reasons why Saka feels like he’s slipped under the radar a bit. First of all, his raw numbers are really nothing special. He has just five goals and three assists for Arsenal this season. More often than not, he’s the man who plays the pass before the pass: or in Arsenal’s case the pass before the pass before Nicolas Pépé puts the ball straight out for a goal kick. So often this season Saka has felt like a sparkling player being tethered down by the dunderheads around him.

Post #531056  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:13 am 

DHD wrote:

There are a few reasons why Saka feels like he’s slipped under the radar a bit. First of all, his raw numbers are really nothing special. He has just five goals and three assists for Arsenal this season. More often than not, he’s the man who plays the pass before the pass: or in Arsenal’s case the pass before the pass before Nicolas Pépé puts the ball straight out for a goal kick. So often this season Saka has felt like a sparkling player being tethered down by the dunderheads around him.

I think that’s grossly unfair on Pépé. But despite that, the comments do explain why I think people who focus heavily on assists and goals scored as the reliable measure of a player’s effectiveness are hopelessly misguided.

Post #531057  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

I think that’s grossly unfair on Pépé. But despite that, the comments do explain why I think people who focus heavily on assists and goals scored as the reliable measure of a player’s effectiveness are hopelessly misguided.

I think the reference to Pépé was more for comic effect, Bern. This is the full (highly complimentary) article, if there's interest:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jun/22/bukayo-saka-euro-2020-england-czech-republic

Post #531058  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:46 am 

Tierney knocked out so should be able to get a decent full preseason with us after a bit of a holiday. Xhaka and Saka still involved but I can't think of too many others who are away. I think we have Gabriel and Martinelli in the Brazil Olympics squad.

Massively important pre season, Arteta's first proper pre-season, we need to get our signings done asap and hit the ground running at the start of the season to take advantage. We don't have any long term injuries at the moment either - first time in a while I can think we've gone in to a season without someone on a long term injury.

Post #531059  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Might doing your second paragraph make Smith Rowe wonder if Arsenal could be tempted to accept an offer for him? If so, I would be against it. Also, I’ve never had any problem with Villa. A fine old, established and traditional club. Why deliberately try to mess up their transfer window? I think that would make us look petty, if not somewhat pathetic.

Yeah I wouldn't advocate actually doing it, we're certainly better than that. I was more a jokey suggestion to annoy Villa.

Even if we did decide to do it I would expect we'd tell Smith Rowe that we have absolutely no intention of selling him first.

Post #531060  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 am 

Rich wrote:

It is slightly worrying that they see any point in making a second bid, as it suggests they weren't told he was not for sale under any circumstances. They must feel there's a chance of coming to some agreement.
Given who owns us I wouldn't be surprised if they sold him.

Post #531061  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:25 am 

First job well done by England. The reward is a match against a potential trophy winning team, so history suggests we may not go any further in the competition. Southgate may have to release the handbrake to buck the odds, but for me there were some good signs last night. Saka was the obvious highlight and Kane looked more mobile. Grealish faded but has a brilliant first touch and ability to win free kicks. Sterling will always cause trouble when running forward, though he has the annoying habit of slowing build-up play at times. The major bonus is the defence which apart from Stones' scary far forward excursion last night has been almost Italian in its pragmatism.

Post #531062  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

It is slightly worrying that they see any point in making a second bid, as it suggests they weren't told he was not for sale under any circumstances. They must feel there's a chance of coming to some agreement.

Morning Bromley
Not even Arsenal are that stupid to countenance selling Emile Smith Rowe ........are they.
There would be a *%^@*** riot if this was to happen.

Post #531063  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:56 am 

As for the way we are treating Saliba or namely Arteta is treating him.
Shameful.
Farcical.
From Arteta being quoted as saying he was our player for sure and he would be coming back for pre season to now strong rumours that Saliba will be loaned out again or sold.
If that happens the little bit of respect i had for Arteta will disintegrate.
And for sure if Saliba is loaned out again then that will be his bridges with the club burnt.
Even if he has a blinder on loan next season there is no way he will commit to us by signing another with the 2 years left on his contract after next season.
I just find it extremely frustrating that a player with seemingly so much potential may not even be given a chance to show what he can do.
Considering what we spent on him that is a disgrace.
And all down to Mikel *%^@*** Arteta.

Post #531064  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:07 am 

david.d wrote:
Shameful.
Farcical.
From Arteta being quoted as saying he was our player for sure and he would be coming back for pre season to now strong rumours that Saliba will be loaned out again or sold.
And for sure if Saliba is loaned out again then that will be his bridges with the club burnt.
Even if he has a blinder on loan next season there is no way he will commit to us by signing another with the 2 years left on his contract after next season.
I just find it extremely frustrating that a player with seemingly so much potential may not even be given a chance to show what he can do.

You just can’t beat another Saliba meltdown based on absolutely NOTHING :15laughter:

Darren got it absolutely nailed on when he described our fans as having some kind of fetish about this

Post #531065  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:
Shameful.
Farcical.

You just can’t beat another Saliba meltdown based on absolutely NOTHING :15laughter:

Darren got it absolutely nailed on when he described our fans as having some kind of fetish about this

Yawwwwnnnnnnn

Post #531066  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm 

david.d wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yawwwwnnnnnnn

Seriously write a letter to Vinai Venkatesham or something. If nothing else it might bring some closure on the issue for you

Post #531067  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:
Yawwwwnnnnnnn

Seriously write a letter to Vinai Venkatesham or something. If nothing else it might bring some closure on the issue for you

Yawn

Post #531068  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:23 pm 

Top 7 global problems

Food security.
Inclusive growth.
Future of work/unemployment.
Climate change.
Financial crisis
Future of the internet/Fourth Industrial Revolution.
William Salibas lack of minutes for Arsenal football club

Post #531069  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:36 pm 

Obviously, instead of Saliba’s lack of minutes as one of the seven main global issues can’t be a Gleiber forum poster’s unwillingness to let anyone else have the last post on an issue, even when the other person has only written ‘yawn’?

Post #531070  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:38 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I think there's an interesting stylistic dilemma for England this tournament with your attacking options. Guys like Foden and Mount are brilliant players, but more team oriented, works well in a system but doesn't provide the same cutting edge as guys like Grealish, Rashford and Saka. Maybe the latter is better suited for a tournament like this, where almost every game is a decider.

Grealish is an absolute gem of a player. I can't understand why he isn't a fixture in the team.

Have it on good authority that the manager and some of his back room staff cannot stand him, stems from U21 days when he was seen as a disruptive character. Nothing to do with ability.

Post #531071  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 pm 

david.d wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Morning Bromley
Not even Arsenal are that stupid to countenance selling Emile Smith Rowe ........are they.
There would be a *%^@*** riot if this was to happen.

You’d hope not David. It just seems odd if Villa weren’t given a clear ‘not for sale, feck off’ message. Anyway, it’s probably just more clickbait.

Post #531072  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Unless instead of Saliba’s lack of minutes is a Gleiber forum poster’s unwillingness to let anyone else have the last post on an issue, even when the other person has only written a derivative of ‘yawn’?

The only person here with an issue about having the last word on anything is you :58big-emoticons:

I merely can’t resist indulging you

WHY OH WHY ISNT ARTETA PLAYING SALIBA!!!! errr it’s pre season

Post #531073  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:43 pm 

On smith Rowe I wouldn’t worry too much.

Have a read up on his agent who sounds a
Tottenham supporting prat of the highest order. Just angling for a better contract

Post #531074  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm 

Whatever one thinks of Arteta and Edu, they don't strike me as being blind to the current negative mood among Arsenal fans based on the chaos of the last few years. Selling Smith-Rowe would not only be a terrible football decision, but an absolute disaster from a PR perspective that would lead fans to rightfully want to see their heads roll. Just no way they're going to let that happen, unless Smith-Rowe suddenly decided he desperately wants out.

Post #531075  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:18 pm 

Even from a financial standpoint it would be a horrible decision - Villa are reported to have bid £25m, and are now supposedly raising that to £30m. If Smith-Rowe continues on his current trajectory we could easily fetch twice as much in just a year or two. There's absolutely nothing to gain for Arsenal by selling.

Post #531076  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:19 pm 

Seems like some snails pace movements on some of the outgoings.
Xhaka to Roma has stalled. Two teams need to agree a fee

Torreira now seems happy to move to Lazio after saying he only wanted to go and play for Boca. Two teams need to agree a fee

Guendouzi now of interest to Marseille who want a loan with obligation to buy. The only reason for loans with obligation to buy is over the delay of the payment but if we can get the fee we want for Matteo (rumoured to be 20m euros) then I'd take the loan with obligation to buy.

Right now these seem to be the 3 closest to leaving.

Newcastle are interested on Willock obviously, there are a number of teams after AMN but nothing concrete and I've not heard a whisper about Nelson or Nketiah.

Arsenal would do well to try to get Nketiah in on any deal for White (or Bissouma) from Brighton. He'd be good at finishing all the chances they create.

Post #531077  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 pm 

Rich wrote:

I wouldn't do that. Counter intuitive, because we should not inject negative thoughts in the mind of Emile Smith Rowe

Post #531078  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:23 pm 

DHD wrote:

So true .... which is why I fear it is a matter of time before the top clubs start to bait him. Arsenal need to show ambition and progress on the field at a faster rate.

Post #531079  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 pm 

david.d wrote:
Shameful.
Farcical.

Hi David, I hate to agree with Top Gun, and will generally do whatever is required to avoid it. However, getting angry about something that hasn't even happened yet - i.e. Saliba maybe going out on loan next season - just doesn't seem like a very good use of your energy. If every 'strong rumour' turned out to be true, we'd have signed Higuain, Zaha, Aouar, Buendia, etc, etc...

Post #531080  Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Unless instead of Saliba’s lack of minutes is a Gleiber forum poster’s unwillingness to let anyone else have the last post on an issue, even when the other person has only written a derivative of ‘yawn’?

The only person here with an issue about having the last word on anything is you :58big-emoticons:

I merely can’t resist indulging you

WHY OH WHY ISNT ARTETA PLAYING SALIBA!!!! errr it’s pre season

If you remember correctly, which you obviously don’t, I did actually let you have the last post on our last disagreement. Zed, a poster I have respect for, had commented on it and although you had in your normal obsessive manner done the last post, for the sake of everyone else not getting bored, I left it at that.

So either you’re a blatant liar or you have a dreadful memory? I prefer to put it down to your memory.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13274, 13275, 13276, 13277, 13278, 13279, 13280 ... 14269  Next