Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 101 guests

Post #529521  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
and yet our form doesn't feel like we're a top 3 team since Christmas. What it does show is how congested a lot of teams are, a few good/bad results in the season are the difference of 4-5 places.
We're certainly not as bad as some of the results we've had this season, but Liverpool would say the same with some of their home defeats - and I'm sure anyone finishing 5th to 9th will point to 4 games where they really should have picked up another 10 points which would have had them in the top 4.

The margins are small right

If Xhaka didn’t get sent off at Burnley and the ref didn’t give that ridiculous penalty at Wolves we would be 5th right now and there would be a totally different atmosphere around Arsenal.

Despite our problems my feeling is our bad start was a bit of an anomaly and if we had Ødegaard and Emile Smith Rowe raring to go at the start of the season it might have been a different story.

Exactly, which is why I disagree with your argument that we need a major squad overhaul. I think we are evolving in the right direction.

The fact that we've had two players from the academy establish themselves (Saka probably was 70% there already after last season) and a quite a batch more that really look promising, is also massive.

Getting on par with City, United Chelsea and Liverpool will be a tall order, mind you.

Post #529522  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Table since Christmas.

Very interesting.

Post #529523  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 pm 

Maybe it hurts us technically table wise, haven't bothered to look, but I always cheer for Liverpool over Man Utd.
The very first match I can recall ever hearing about in English football. I vaguely recall as a little kid on American news, the sports section, seeing cops on horses and masses of people having to walk down a gauntlet and the commentator saying it had to be done for safety. The commentator and all of us wondering why all this over a game. Like 'really? Is it that serious?'. Came to understand 'yes, it is'..lol.

Post #529524  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:20 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Depends what you mean by European football. https://www.skysports.com/share/12304202

I'm guessing American Gooner hasn't looked at the table recently.

More generally, its actually silly how people buy into particular narratives, and just stick to them, regardless of facts. Flat-earthers and conspiracy junkies aren't the only ones who do this.

Spurs have to win two of their last three to be sure of finishing ahead of us. Everton likewise. They just dropped another 2 points thanks in part to Martinez's heroics. And I wouldn't bet against us winning both of our remaining games.

Sure we're still third favourites to finish 7th, but even if we miss out, we're probably going to end up very close to Spurs and Liverpool in the table. We had a terrible first half of the season, and shot ourselves in the foot in Europe, but actually we haven't been nearly as poor this season as people make out.

This is correct. It doesn’t always have to be extremes, one thing or other. It’s perfectly reasonable to believe Arteta has made some mistakes but also has done a good job generally whilst dealing with impossible circumstances

The first half of the season was poor and yes the semi final exit disappointing but there’s certainly evidence with some restructuring we could surprise a few next season.

Post #529525  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:28 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The margins are small right

If Xhaka didn’t get sent off at Burnley and the ref didn’t give that ridiculous penalty at Wolves we would be 5th right now and there would be a totally different atmosphere around Arsenal.

Despite our problems my feeling is our bad start was a bit of an anomaly and if we had Ødegaard and Emile Smith Rowe raring to go at the start of the season it might have been a different story.

Exactly, which is why I disagree with your argument that we need a major squad overhaul. I think we are evolving in the right direction.

Depends on what we want to achieve really ? Compete for a title or top 4 ?

For me our absolute essentials are 2 midfielders (no10 and CDM) and a better right back

That might get us a place closer to top 4

Nice to haves ..... left back cover, another creative midfielder to provide cover from the bench and maybe a new centre back.

Then consider replacements if somebody leaves.

Post #529526  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm 

Can we get MOTD to get their scream-ometer out for that Bruno Fernandes scream just then. He was back up on his feet within seconds!

Post #529527  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

For me our absolute essentials are 2 midfielders (no10 and CDM) and a better right back

Nice to haves ..... left back cover, another creative midfielder to provide cover from the bench and maybe a new centre back.

We need top quality signings at CM and rightback. We need to find a good up-and-coming left back and resolve the keeper situation too.

As for the rest, it depends on how you see our current lot. What about Emile Smith Rowe? I agree with you that his Emile Smith Rowe's dynamism and footballing brain give him the edge over Ødegaard. If Emile Smith Rowe is the business (although with young players you always have to be wary about making big decision after just one good season) what is his best position? no10? Should we be getting another 10? Or an 8?

Post #529528  Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:09 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We need top quality signings at CM and rightback. We need to find a good up-and-coming left back and resolve the keeper situation too.

As for the rest, it depends on how you see our current lot. What about Emile Smith Rowe? I agree with you that his Emile Smith Rowe's dynamism and footballing brain give him the edge over Ødegaard. If Emile Smith Rowe is the business (although with young players you always have to be wary about making big decision after just one good season) what is his best position? no10? Should we be getting another 10? Or an 8?

I think Smith Rowe is a no10 who can also play effectively from the left in tighter bigger games. Would make sense to sign a more experienced no10 to rotate with him and share the load. A massive part of our problem is when we get a injury to a key player we can’t replace them so try numerous different solutions to a problem that can’t be fixed.

Think the club view Partey as the no8 and want another player to come in at the base of our midfield.

Post #529529  Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:38 am 

The Chelsea win has obviously bought Arteta some time for now. If the decision is already made then it really doesn't matter but assuming it hasn't, it's game by game I'd imagine.

My worry if they have decided to get rid of Arteta is not having anyone who will do any better on deck. We'll do what we did last time, invite some people for an interview or take CVs and have a sit down and discuss what they envision. My fear is we won't do much better. Emery had a good CV, Arteta worked with the best manager in the Prem. Anyone we interview will have a good CV and accomplishments. But will they be the right fit?

Rodgers is who I would want and who we should be focusing on. I hear calls for Gerrard but the SPL is a bit of a conundrum. It's a 2 team league for the most part. I'd like to see how Gerrard does in a league that has more competition and quality up and down the league. The Bundesliga is a one team league but they have good teams throughout.

Post #529530  Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 am 

The one thing Arsenal has to figure out and by Arsenal I mean the ones in the club who have some semblance of power, are not happy with the current ownership. The thing they need to figure out is how to be successful in spite of Kroenke. I've always said if we win anything it would be in spite of not because of Kroenke.

My hope is these voices within the club speak to each other.

Post #529531  Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:52 pm 

Club officially parting ways with Luiz at the end of the season. It’s the right call. Give Saliba a chance.
Luiz at 34 can’t be offered a new deal. He’s made mistakes, and often big ones with red cards and penalties, but from what I’ve read he seemed a positive influence on the club, was very good with the young players and showed some leadership when we were crying out for something. With the amount of flak he takes, much of it very undeserved, he’s mentally incredibly tough.

Post #529532  Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Club officially parting ways with Luiz at the end of the season. It’s the right call. Give Saliba a chance.
Luiz at 34 can’t be offered a new deal. He’s made mistakes, and often big ones with red cards and penalties, but from what I’ve read he seemed a positive influence on the club, was very good with the young players and showed some leadership when we were crying out for something. With the amount of flak he takes, much of it very undeserved, he’s mentally incredibly tough.

As you say he’s made mistakes. But overall I consider him to have been a good signing.

Post #529533  Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm 

I think Luiz has been a decent buy, the best of the 3 chelsea retirement buys (Willian, Čech)

There’s a possibility we could miss his passing out from the back unless we strengthen in defence and midfield.

I really hope we have a change in policy though and stop offering these older players the most expensive final contract offer they get when they are passed their best. Type of thing spurs did in the 90s

Post #529534  Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 pm 

Joe Willock misses a penalty

then scores on the rebound. 3-2 Newcastle beating Man City.

Two minutes later City score now 3-3

Post #529535  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:25 am 

If Saliba comes back and is even remotely as good as he was first reported to be, then a Gabriel, Saliba and Holding is a pretty good core of central defenders that is pretty solid. Throw in decent selection of full backs led by Tierney and the defense looks good with Partey in front of it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... z-24114104

Post #529536  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:31 am 

Note: "has been told" because Kroenke has no idea, no knowledge and my supposition, no love for the game.
He's advised to keep Arteta, but my question is were other voices in the club saying to sack him or did Kroenke see the table and ask if he should stay? I'm sure there are regular (likely monthly) meetings Kroenke has about Arsenal. He's given an update on finances, the clubs fortunes, good or bad and what it means and recommendations.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/kroenke-strong-arsenal-message-arteta-20599158

Post #529537  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 am 

Hmmm....at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist.

Post #529538  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

As you say he’s made mistakes. But overall I consider him to have been a good signing.

At his best he was still very good. The performance he put in to beat city in the fa cup semi final was as good as any modern CB for Arsenal. Then did it again in the final.
He’s a player who might have 8/10 good games but then make 1 mistake and that is the only thing people will remember.
Its the right decision to not renew we need to build for the future but we will miss his leadership on and off the pitch

Post #529539  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Note: "has been told" because Kroenke has no idea, no knowledge and my supposition, no love for the game.
He's advised to keep Arteta, but my question is were other voices in the club saying to sack him or did Kroenke see the table and ask if he should stay? I'm sure there are regular (likely monthly) meetings Kroenke has about Arsenal. He's given an update on finances, the clubs fortunes, good or bad and what it means and recommendations.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/kroenke-strong-arsenal-message-arteta-20599158

"Has been told" by a former United player being interviewed by a betting site, you nutter.

Post #529540  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:40 am 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

"Has been told" by a former United player being interviewed by a betting site, you nutter.

Still, it's interesting to discover that AG believes Kroenke has no love of the game. I wish AG would post more often, to keep us better informed of his views.

Post #529541  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:23 am 

FA Cup final day. I remember how it felt to lose in 2001 against Liverpool - it was an absolute travesty. Stephane Henchoz's handball, a billion shots on and off target etc. Nonetheless, had God had a quiet word after the match - 'Don't worry, cobber,* Arsenal are going to appear in seven FA Cup finals in the next two decades and win every last one of them' - I think I'd have settled for that. Thanks, God.

* God is Australian. It's obvious if you really know your Bible.

Post #529542  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

On the other hand, the idea that Kroenke might "see the table" and revise his views radically, is something I'm sure we can relate to.

Post #529543  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:05 am 

Burnley v Leeds ought to be interesting. Leeds are a decent side. I don't think we can say they can't catch us, a game in hand and "only" 5 points behind. The way our season has been going, the 2 remaining games aren't a given.

Post #529544  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:10 am 

Hadn't noticed this before but we're actually the most in form club at the moment. 3 PL wins in a row.

Post #529545  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 am 

Some eery similarities. Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham. Burnley and Soton very close to where they are now.

First Division 1967-68
Pos Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD Pts
1 Manchester City 42 17 2 2 52 16 9 4 8 34 27 43 58
2 Manchester United 42 15 2 4 49 21 9 6 6 40 34 34 56
3 Liverpool 42 17 2 2 51 17 5 9 7 20 23 31 55
4 Leeds United 42 17 3 1 49 14 5 6 10 22 27 30 53
5 Everton 42 18 1 2 43 13 5 5 11 24 27 27 52
6 Chelsea 42 11 7 3 34 25 7 5 9 28 43 -6 48
7 Tottenham Hotspur 42 11 7 3 44 20 8 2 11 26 39 11 47
8 West Bromwich Albion 42 12 4 5 45 25 5 8 8 30 37 13 46
9 Arsenal 42 12 6 3 37 23 5 4 12 23 33 4 44
10 Newcastle United 42 12 7 2 38 20 1 8 12 16 47 -13 41
11 Nottingham Forest 42 11 6 4 34 22 3 5 13 18 42 -12 39
12 West Ham United 42 8 5 8 43 30 6 5 10 30 39 4 38
13 Leicester City 42 7 7 7 37 34 6 5 10 27 35 -5 38
14 Burnley 42 12 7 2 38 16 2 3 16 26 55 -7 38
15 Sunderland 42 8 7 6 28 28 5 4 12 23 33 -10 37
16 Southampton 42 9 8 4 37 31 4 3 14 29 52 -17 37
17 Wolverhampton Wanderers 42 10 4 7 45 36 4 4 13 21 39 -9 36
18 Stoke City 42 10 3 8 30 29 4 4 13 20 44 -23 35
19 Sheffield Wednesday 42 6 10 5 32 24 5 2 14 19 39 -12 34
20 Coventry City 42 8 5 8 32 32 1 10 10 19 39 -20 33
21 Sheffield United 42 7 4 10 25 31 4 6 11 24 39 -21 32
22 Fulham 42 6 4 11 27 41 4 3 14 29 57 -42 27

Post #529546  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Some eery similarities. Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham. Burnley and Soton very close to where they are now.

First Division 1967-68

Hmm, City followed immediately by United is interesting maybe ... to fans of those clubs. Four out of the rest of the division doesn't seem that much of a coincidence.

Post #529547  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:25 pm 

I am sure we can all also relate to being completely ignorant of Arsenal's form. 99.9% of the world population, perhaps including such luminaries as Trump and Kroenke, are probably unaware that we won our last 3 games. Kim Jong-Un probably thinks of something else entirely if the word 'arsenal' comes up in conversation.

Post #529548  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:27 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

First Division 1967-68

Hmm, City followed immediately by United is interesting maybe ... to fans of those clubs. Four out of the rest of the division doesn't seem that much of a coincidence.

Doesn't quite send shivers down the spine but is actually moderately interesting which improves AG's batting average slightly.

Post #529549  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:40 pm 

Decaf wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Doesn't quite send shivers down the spine but is actually moderately interesting which improves AG's batting average slightly.

Actually, looking at it again, it's first and second in the same positions, but also with both Fulham and Sheffield United relegated again. That is pretty creepy. It's odd that AG buried the lead - well, kind of the lead.

Post #529550  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:58 pm 

Maybe its a sign from the football gods we'll win the double in 3 years time. :58big-emoticons:

Post #529551  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:03 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Maybe its a sign from the football gods we'll win the double in 3 years time. :58big-emoticons:

And, hopefully, United being relegated in 2027.

Post #529552  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:33 pm 

Leeds made easy work of Burnley. I would still put us down to finishing ahead of Leeds but not stating that with a lot of confidence.
We have a decent amount of rest till our next match so lets see what happens.

Post #529553  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Leeds made easy work of Burnley. I would still put us down to finishing ahead of Leeds but not stating that with a lot of confidence.
We have a decent amount of rest till our next match so lets see what happens.

Like you, I'm terrified that Leeds might end up ahead of us. That hard-fought ninth-place finish I was hoping to tell the grandchildren about.

Post #529554  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:54 pm 

Hey LTG did you get a notification of a 3pm ko today v CP, you remember previous conversation huh. I got one and I think the problem is one or all of Outlook, Edge or Microsoft, but how nor why I don't know.

Post #529555  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Hey LTG did you get a notification of a 3pm ko today v CP, you remember previous conversation huh. I got one and I think the problem is one or all of Outlook, Edge or Microsoft, but how nor why I don't know.

Beats me too :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #529556  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:07 pm 

Possibility of Sarri managing Tottenham. Interesting if it happens. Not sure if it will matter if they don't spend money.

Post #529557  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 pm 

There will be no takeover of Arsenal. I suspect the press knows that.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9582271/Arsenal-insist-not-received-takeover-bid-club-despite-Daniel-Ek.html

Post #529558  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:33 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Actually, looking at it again, it's first and second in the same positions, but also with both Fulham and Sheffield United relegated again. That is pretty creepy. It's odd that AG buried the lead - well, kind of the lead.

1967/68 was actually my first season of going, my initial game being a 3-0 win against Nottingham Forest on 23/12/67. Scorers were Graham (2) and Armstrong (1).

Post #529559  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm 

Watching the cup final (come on Leicester) have turned over from BBC to BT because of Jenas and his non stop utter drivel, unbearable.

Post #529560  Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:08 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

No. But then I never get automated electronic notifications anyway.

All very odd.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13236, 13237, 13238, 13239, 13240, 13241, 13242 ... 14269  Next