Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 101 guests

Post #528801  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
MOTD last night. Man City have spent about 400 million more than arsenal in the last 8 years.

Daft sport

Clubs like city and chavski would be midtable without their sugar daddy owners, that is clear.

Not sure how it can be called sport really.

I'd love some sort of 50+1 model in the EPL but prizing 'assets' away from billionaires under a tory government won't be easy.

I do wonder how this all is going to play out, but facing decades ahead under KSE while oligarchs and Arab states buy up success is not an option!.

Post #528802  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:51 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
MOTD last night. Man City have spent about 400 million more than arsenal in the last 8 years.

Daft sport

Clubs like city and chavski would be midtable without their sugar daddy owners, that is clear.

Not sure how it can be called sport really.

I'd love some sort of 50+1 model in the EPL but prizing 'assets' away from billionaires under a tory government won't be easy.

I do wonder how this all is going to play out, but facing decades ahead under KSE while oligarchs and Arab states buy up success is not an option!.

And what drives the future of the Spanish clubs after the ESL failed.

Apparently Barcelona owe 1.4 billion. How will they ever pay such an amount back ?

Post #528803  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:43 pm 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:
"Top half of the league" doesn't quite quicken the pulse in the same manner as "top of the league", does it?

I mean if you can’t celebrate the Arsenal breaking the shackles of 11th place and rising like mighty phoenixes to, er, 9th then you sir, and I’m sorry to use this strong language, are a curmudgeon.

9th does have a nice ring to it. 8th (or perish the thought, 7th) smacks of elitism.

You and Bored probably derive more pleasure from our superb swoop into 9th, than the average Bayern fan would from winning their 9th title on the trot. Supporting a serial winning team is like being a crack addict. One stops deriving any pleasure from winning and merely experiences grumpiness when deprived of winning the Champions League every year.

Post #528804  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 pm 

Looks like Bernard's asleep at the wheel.

Happy dreams.

Post #528805  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:24 pm 

Abu wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
If true then that’s a shame. It detracts hugely from the message that I presume that they were trying to get across.

Dont think it does, let's hope we see plenty more of this.

May or may not detract from the message. Sunday MU fans just carried over frustrations, anger from ESL fallout Owners need to stop pretending their constituents don't exist. England fans prefer to have owners sell up. At least the Glazers , Kroenke for Arsenal. Or if they don't, owners need to revise their operations. Thing is owners still get plenty of revenue from overseas.

Post #528806  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 pm 

Zed wrote:

Happy dreams.

Sorry, you’ve lost me.

Post #528807  Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 pm 

Zed wrote:
Abu wrote:

Dont think it does, let's hope we see plenty more of this.

May or may not detract from the message. Sunday MU fans just carried over frustrations, anger from ESL fallout Owners need to stop pretending their constituents don't exist. England fans prefer to have owners sell up. At least the Glazers , Kroenke for Arsenal. Or if they don't, owners need to revise their operations. Thing is owners still get plenty of revenue from overseas.

The problem is the owners don't have to do this, and don't want to. And the law is on the side of property.

When you sell your soul to the devil the deal doesn't include a buyback clause. If after you've enjoyed all the fornication and debauchery and intoxication, you don't find the ensuring fire and brimstone to your tastes, that is just too bad.

Post #528808  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am 

I see that Daniel Ek and his consortium are supposedly about to make a £1.8 billion offer to Stan Kroenke for Arsenal. However, I just don't see him selling out unless a significantly bigger offer is made.

Such is the value of Arsenal there are a very limited number of parties who could even envisage such a deal, and probably an even smaller number who could do so without massive borrowing. That then begs the question as to where the money would come from if a huge offer was made by an outside party, would they have to borrow heavily (using the club as collateral) and then have to service the debt in the way the Glazers did when they bought Man U? If that was the case would we be any better off?.

Post #528809  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 am 

socrates wrote:
I see that Daniel Ek and his consortium are supposedly about to make a £1.8 billion offer to Stan Kroenke for Arsenal. However, I just don't see him selling out unless a significantly bigger offer is made.

Such is the value of Arsenal there are a very limited number of parties who could even envisage such a deal, and probably an even smaller number who could do so without massive borrowing. That then begs the question as to where the money would come from if a huge offer was made by an outside party, would they have to borrow heavily (using the club as collateral) and then have to service the debt in the way the Glazers did when they bought Man U? If that was the case would we be any better off?.

I think Daniel is as much a businessman as Stan is. If he buys the club with debt, I don't see us as better off. Arsenal football club becomes a commodity to be traded by businessman to businessman. My take.

Unfortunately, this is the new world order. That moment when the Olympic Games allowed professionals into the Games, was the day sports changed forever.

Post #528810  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 am 

socrates wrote:

So if their starting offer is 1.8 they might anticipate a final offer of around 2.2 ? Assuming they have given themselves 25 percent to negotiate ? They will know the first offer is never accepted.

You never know right ?

The protests need to continue in parallel and I thought Henry’s comments on sky yesterday were telling.

Post #528811  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 am 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think Daniel is as much a businessman as Stan is. If he buys the club with debt, I don't see us as better off. Arsenal football club becomes a commodity to be traded by businessman to businessman.

You are aware that Kroenke bought Arsenal with a massive loan from Deutsche bank ?

Unless your being bought by a sheik it’s a likely consortium with loans and financing. The problem with Kroenke has never been relating to finances as far as im concerned more so that he’s incompetent doesn’t understand football and tries to make decisions based on his own irrelevant expertise.

Post #528812  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 am 

American sports news is pretty accurate. ESPN, Fox Sports, all have former coaches, players, etc. who are well connected and informed with those in the league at every level including the board room.

Rumors are pretty much fact. I notice that every news item about Arsenal possibly up for sale is in the British press. The American sports press only reconfirms that the Kroenke's say they aren't selling.

I think its mostly wishful thinking. If the Kroenke's sell, I'm pretty confident its not because of the present protests both at the stadium and what Man Utd is going through. Stan is detached from the club: physically, even emotionally. We are items on a balance sheet. If he has any emotional attachment its for the Rams (and I doubt that too much). His alma mater's sports program is likely the only team he will give money to that is not business.

So, if he sells its business related reasons. Not because he feel pressured by fans. That could change if the fans totally revolt, but as I said, he sees a long waiting list for season tickets and must conclude, any protests will be symbolic and not affect revenue.

Post #528813  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:18 am 

Sadly, I think the last week has shown just how much the EPL is now controlled by American businessmen, and how little they care what we ‘Legacy Fans’ think or do. Despite the weasel-worded apologies (more like justifications in most cases) they don’t care about Government blustering or media condemnation. Despite some of the constituent clubs lagging behind others, the overall profitability of the Big 6 is still heading skywards. They will just keep schtum and tough it out. Never complain; never explain.

The Glazers, Kroenke and Fenway will never sell until such time as it turns a greater profit for them to do so. Currently, if reports are to be believed, Man U is worth about £3.05bn; the Glazers’ long-term vision is to grow that to £7.2bn ($10bn). In business terms, the Glazers have played an absolute blinder and many investors think they are gods. The six Glaziers have paid themselves £100m since 2015 for no particular outlay. That's clever. They certainly won’t be selling or relinquishing control any time soon. Kroenke and Fenway see those numbers and agree that sort of growth is realistic and is eminently deliverable. They are all the legal and legitimate owners of the clubs in question. There is nothing that Stock Exchanges, Governments, the FA, the EPL, UEFA or FIFA can do about it.

They will not be shifted until it suits them.

Post #528814  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am 

DHD wrote:
...They are all the legal and legitimate owners of the clubs in question. There is nothing that Stock Exchanges, Governments, the FA, the EPL, UEFA or FIFA can do about it. They will not be shifted until it suits them.
Yes, and attempts to kill off the ESL idea by the less-elite Premiership clubs will most likely strengthen the determination of elite clubs to make it happen. From their point of view it is too big of an economic winner to resist in the long run. The box belonging to Pandora was opened back in 1992, never to be closed again.

Post #528815  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm 

Usmanov wanted credibility and would have spent to have it. He'd also be easier to remove. He'd want to avoid bad press.

I stopped watching American sports 20 years ago because of men like Kroenke. I knew given time, they'd ruin the sport.

The ESL isn't dead. It's just biding its time to re-appear when the planets align and trust me, it will. in the modern era, the American 1 percent ALWAYS gets its way. Americans waned on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan before Bush ended his presidency. 5 years is the average life span Americans have when it comes to war in terms of the general public's interest. By 2006, even the right wing electorate weren't going to put up a fight if the voices to get out were strong. A big part of Obama's appeal was that he was one of the few souls in the Senate to be against the war when it wasn't the popular thing to do. And being the son of a Kenyan moslem, he was called unAmerican. The fact that we are in both wars for 20 years when its very unpopular shows you just how strong the corporations that made literally trillions off it are.

You think they will give up so easily? I ran off some numbers before. The NFL is in the midst of an 11 year, 89 billion dollar tv deal. A sport that only Americans watch. They have done the math. The EPL is very popular in America as a tv spectator sport. When I first started watching football I was one of maybe 2 or 3 Americans at a British pub in LA, getting up at 4am for noon kick offs, paying a cover charge to watch it via satelite.

Now, its regular tv fare and there are 3 or 4 games on football Saturdays. I'm guessing, if done right, this super league could get at least 10 billion US a season. And I'm being conservative with that number. And I promise you, you will see rule changes not to improve the game but to squeeze every shilling they can out of the game. They will ruin it and make it unrecognizable. I promise you that. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind.

The sports I grew up with watching with the same childhood love that you all had at the same age for The Arsenal and football in general, the sports I love are gone. I can't sit through a whole game. I can't. Uni sports are the last bastions, the 'Maginot line' and they are going the way of their professional brethren.

I'm sad, angry and disgusted. Discovering football as an adult was transformative for me. Especially the English game. I saw other leagues and immediately they couldn't compare to the English version. The Bundesliga and the Eredivisie were decent but nothing came close to the aura of a game. I never, ever thought I could miss an Arsenal match. I had a job that I traveled around the country in 2003-2006. When I got my travel itinerary the first thing I did was look for British or Irish pubs and call them to see if they carried the games. I've missed flights to watch us. I'm not trying sell my Arsenal pedigree. You've all known me for 20 years and know being liked isn't a concern to me. The point is I have missed some games. I've missed league games. It's not just that we aren't as good. I'm not saying it as a fair weather fan. I just see the game changing, I know what kind of owner we have and what little care he has for the club I love dearly.

And we'll be stuck with them for 2 generations. :1cry: I knew no one would understand. US Martin would have understood. Andy Green perhaps. He's been in America long enough. American sports owners these days suck as the young people in LA say. Many years ago, they were similar to football owners. A born and bred local who made it good. Became a millionaire. Was likely on the terraces as a kid and bought his local club out of love and civic duty and understood he was caretaker. He would spend his own money if necessary to make them viable.

Now the EPL has ownership similar to what the NBA and NFL started doing in the 90s. I hope I can find access to Championship (although that is changing) and lower division football on some package. At least the passion and love is still there. At least the owners still seem to care.

Post #528816  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I think Daniel is as much a businessman as Stan is. If he buys the club with debt, I don't see us as better off. Arsenal football club becomes a commodity to be traded by businessman to businessman.

You are aware that Kroenke bought Arsenal with a massive loan from Deutsche bank ?

Unless your being bought by a sheik it’s a likely consortium with loans and financing. The problem with Kroenke has never been relating to finances as far as im concerned more so that he’s incompetent doesn’t understand football and tries to make decisions based on his own irrelevant expertise.

Hi OMOH,

100% spot-on.

I saw an interview with John Barnes in which he made the very important point that people are talking about the fans winning but in reality the only winners are Sky, BT and UEFA.

The ordinary fans hasn't won anything.........ticket prices aren't going down, replica kit and merchandise prices aren't going down, Sky and BT's subscription charges aren't going down. All that has happened is that the greedy sods at UEFA, Sky and BT have averted the gravy train from leaving their station.

Post #528817  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Are there any billionaires who buy football clubs who know anything about running football clubs? I can't think of any. But the best billionaire owners know about running successful businesses and a pretty simple rule is if you can't do it yourself you find the best people who can do it. That is what City and Chelsea have done.

The problem with Kronke is he will see his involvement in Arsenal as a huge success, if he sold tomorrow he's doubled his investment in 10 years (I think?), and he's done that by basically just not doing anything. The overall product of football has grown and his investment is just been swept along in the wave.

Post #528818  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm 

After determining ability to buy a club, the biggest question after that for any fan is WHY they want to buy the club.

One of the reasons why its tough to buy an NFL team is 1) there are only 30 of them and they only come up for sale ever so often. In America at least, its the ultimate toy. There are over 600 billionaires in America. A select club in a country with over 330 million people and they look at you with awe in your presence. But among your peers, you're not special. 600 or so is a very big group and you all know each other or know of each other. No matter how disparate your businesses are, you run into most of your peers.

That said, owning an NFL team is seen as one of the things that sets you apart from your fellow billionaires. Bezos may be worth 5 x the amount of billions you have but he doesn't own an NFL team. You do. Only 30 of you can have it. He'll have to wait and...he'll have to be approved and you are one of the votes.

The NFL owners take a vote. It doesn't matter how much money you have. You know most of the owners and some of them may hold a personal grudge for a previous business deal stolen, or something petty. Doesn't matter. Bezos, for all his billions will have to kiss some azzes to buy a club. That's what sets the NFL apart.

The pettiness aside, the one advantage this process has over the EPL is that the league doesn't have as much of a say it seems as their NFL brethren. In the NFL the owners at large protects the interests of the smaller teams who may be desperate to be sold but in doing so invite in the select club someone who is bad for them all as a collective. This isn't as strong as it once was as evidenced by the league presently but for a long time it worked until greed got the best of them. The EPL needs to do better in that regard.

Post #528819  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Happy dreams.

Sorry, you’ve lost me.

Nothing Bernard. Saw you'd been on here for a long while is all.

Post #528820  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Zed wrote:

The problem is the owners don't have to do this, and don't want to. And the law is on the side of property.

When you sell your soul to the devil the deal doesn't include a buyback clause. If after you've enjoyed all the fornication and debauchery and intoxication, you don't find the ensuring fire and brimstone to your tastes, that is just too bad.

Fans fighting a losing battle it seems. The war was already won on paper.

Post #528821  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:06 pm 

Watched some of the CL match. We are a light year behind both these teams, not just 30 points. I don’t think Arteta has got our team playing anywhere like these teams, even for 10 minutes in any game this season. I wonder if Aubameyang will start at CF in the Europa or if he insists he plays wing. That would of course require him to admit he has been wrong.

Post #528822  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Watched some of the CL match. We are a light year behind both these teams, not just 30 points. I don’t think Arteta has got our team playing anywhere like these teams, even for 10 minutes in any game this season.

The fairytale of those two plucky underdogs fighting to get to the promised land that their great leadership* indomitable spirit** and excellent squad building*** has won for them just warms my heart. What’s stopping us from being more like them??

* money
** money
*** money

Post #528823  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:14 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Watched some of the CL match. We are a light year behind both these teams, not just 30 points. I don’t think Arteta has got our team playing anywhere like these teams, even for 10 minutes in any game this season.

The fairytale of those two plucky underdogs fighting to get to the promised land that their great leadership* indomitable spirit** and excellent squad building*** has won for them just warms my heart. What’s stopping us from being more like them??

* money
** money
*** money

You cynical man you.

Post #528824  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm 

KSE can say they don't want to sell, thing is though the appetite is clearly not there from the majority of fans to enter any sort of ESL.

Arsenal are now a loss making business in downward decline, even if any sort of ESL emerges again, which looks only possible in the long term, Arsenal may not be invited at that point as we'll likely be festering in midtable.

I keep hearing people say the club will continue to rise in value?, I don't see this as very likely, how is this going to happen if as is likely to happen we remain largely uncompetitive and without a ESL?.

Post #528825  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:00 pm 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

* money
** money
*** money

Well actually you would think after this period we might have crisp passing, people actually closing down opponents, and finding space out wide. It’s not money that does that, it is the coach having faith in the players and a system that allows for creativity. You can actually try to beat players and surge forward without the coach yelling at the player to stay. But if you like to play the poor card go for it. You might have missed the fact that When Aubameyang, Pépé and Lacazette play that is the most expensive forward line in the EPL. We have an owner who has money and he allowed other experts spend. We should be a better team than we have.

Post #528826  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 pm 

Very sad to hear the news about Alan McLoughlin today who lost his fight against cancer. His goal at Windsor Park for Ireland will long be fondly remembered. RIP.

Post #528827  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Ash wrote:

* money
** money
*** money

Well actually you would think after this period we might have crisp passing, people actually closing down opponents, and finding space out wide. It’s not money that does that, it is the coach having faith in the players and a system that allows for creativity. You can actually try to beat players and surge forward without the coach yelling at the player to stay. But if you like to play the poor card go for it. You might have missed the fact that When Aubameyang, Pépé and Lacazette play that is the most expensive forward line in the EPL. We have an owner who has money and he allowed other experts spend. We should be a better team than we have.

Yes, the quality is there. But that doesn't imply that our squad is remotely comparable to City's. You can't play Aubameyang and Lacazette together really (even on the rare occasions when they are both fit and in form) and there are major holes elsewhere in the squad. You could drive a bus through our midfield (especially with Xhaka covering Left Back) or left back position.

I don't see why you have to take such an extreme position. You spoil you argument when you say you haven't even seen 10 minutes of us playing anywhere near where City plays all season. We've looked very good indeed at times.

Post #528828  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:50 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
KSE can say they don't want to sell, thing is though the appetite is clearly not there from the majority of fans to enter any sort of ESL.

Arsenal are now a loss making business in downward decline, even if any sort of ESL emerges again, which looks only possible in the long term, Arsenal may not be invited at that point as we'll likely be festering in midtable.

I keep hearing people say the club will continue to rise in value?, I don't see this as very likely, how is this going to happen if as is likely to happen we remain largely uncompetitive and without a ESL?.

On your last point: the Guardian described Old Trafford as a giant shopping mall with a football stadium attached. I think that captures the general idea. So long as millions of people are buying two or three overpriced shirts ever year, and paying their money to the TV companies, it doesn't matter if the team doesn't win much. Look at how United and Liverpool rode their long lean spells without really losing their status. Even Spurs, despite never winning anything more significant than the Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament in living memory, are able to milk it.

Arsenal are a huge global brand with massive marketing potential. That would gradually fade but it would take a long time = lots of money in the interim as the air leaks from the balloon.

On your first point, isn't saying that just SOP? It would be extremely bad form, and would probably get Kronke blackballed from his club, to start off negotiations with an honest statement of how badly he wants to get rid of us. He may secretly be restraining himself from biting Ek's arm off ... $2 billion or whatever is pretty handy. Gets some some pretty nifty toupees, a couple of Congressmen, etc..

Post #528829  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:03 pm 

No matter who owns the club, be it Kroenke or Daniel Ek, what's stopping either one to not be in the ESL. If/when it's reintroduced. Kroenke as we all know, will push for it strongly. He won't sell up if this ESL is made definite. Ek on the other hand, could be persuaded into it. If Arsenal rusts in mid-table repeatedly, no matter what owner or manager there is overtime, chances are slim the club would again be part of the "dirty dozen".

Post #528830  Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:47 pm 

Zed wrote:
Nothing Bernard. Saw you'd been on here for a long while is all.

Ah, what I have done quite a few times is not exited the forum, even though I’m not looking at it. So I assume it must look as though I’m logged on when I’m not definitely not reading it or writing a post.

Post #528831  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I wasn't aware he took a loan to buy

Post #528832  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Yes, the quality is there. But that doesn't imply that our squad is remotely comparable to City's. You can't play Aubameyang and Lacazette together really (even on the rare occasions when they are both fit and in form) and there are major holes elsewhere in the squad. You could drive a bus through our midfield (especially with Xhaka covering Left Back) or left back position.

I don't see why you have to take such an extreme position. You spoil you argument when you say you haven't even seen 10 minutes of us playing anywhere near where City plays all season. We've looked very good indeed at times.

I beg to differ. Even in games when we won we rarely dominated and often wins are because of individuals rather than really putting a game and game plan together.

Post #528833  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:01 am 

We are very far from the best we have ever been. Our standard has regressed since the latter years of Wenger.
Arteta is struggling to establish a proper team. He does not have the players to make us good or great. His lack of tactical nous does not help either.

Post #528834  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 am 

Mourinho rocking up at Roma next year. You have to feel sorry for Chris Smalling and Mkhitaryan!

Post #528835  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:40 am 

I saw City had signed a 17 year old Brazilian, Kayky for £9m plus add ons and thought I'd look back over some recent signings they've made that no one has heard of:
Pedro Porro £10m
Kayky £9m + add ons
Pablo Moreno £9m
Filip Stefanovic £7.5m
Nuhuel Bustos £6m
Ante Palaversa £6m
Diego Rosa £5m
Yan Couto £5m
Issa Kaboure £5m

£60m for the lot, not one of them has ever played for Man City, all find themselves on loan and will undoubtedly move on in the future for at least the fee City paid for them. They really only need 1 of those 9 to be good enough for the first team and they're quids in.
Chelsea have a very similar strategy. The tactic is almost just sweep up every good player available and send them on loan to your sister clubs, it keeps these players out of the hands of your rivals. It helps that City can make £60m worth of transfers without any intention of using them in the first team and without it impacting the budget for the first team signings - which is of course colossal - it is a win/win strategy for those with the money. Yet another example of the huge advantage cheat mode money brings.

Post #528836  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:08 am 

Niall wrote:
Very sad to hear the news about Alan McLoughlin today who lost his fight against cancer. His goal at Windsor Park for Ireland will long be fondly remembered. RIP.

Hi Niall,

Very sad. Only 54.

RIP

Post #528837  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:10 am 

Rich wrote:
I saw City had signed a 17 year old Brazilian, Kayky for £9m plus add ons and thought I'd look back over some recent signings they've made that no one has heard of:
Pedro Porro £10m
Kayky £9m + add ons
Pablo Moreno £9m
Filip Stefanovic £7.5m
Nuhuel Bustos £6m
Ante Palaversa £6m
Diego Rosa £5m
Yan Couto £5m
Issa Kaboure £5m

£60m for the lot, not one of them has ever played for Man City, all find themselves on loan and will undoubtedly move on in the future for at least the fee City paid for them. They really only need 1 of those 9 to be good enough for the first team and they're quids in.
Chelsea have a very similar strategy. The tactic is almost just sweep up every good player available and send them on loan to your sister clubs, it keeps these players out of the hands of your rivals. It helps that City can make £60m worth of transfers without any intention of using them in the first team and without it impacting the budget for the first team signings - which is of course colossal - it is a win/win strategy for those with the money. Yet another example of the huge advantage cheat mode money brings.

Hi Rich,

Indeed.

It's one of the reasons I was hoping Edu could give us a big advantage with the young south american signings. Doesn't seem to be happening yet though.

Post #528838  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am 

The reason why Arsenal will continue to go up in value is not revenue related. There are only so many clubs with a global following or recognized at least. Arsenal's name is recognized on every continent. West Brom who are also in the league (this season) aren't.

30, 40 years ago, there were only so many people who would be willing to pay for a 'premium club' (Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Bayern, Juve, etc). There are far, far more billionaires than 30 years ago. There are over 2,700 billionaires globally. Also, 30, 40 years ago companies wouldn't consider buying a club. These days there are a number of them. Now you have far more companies (Red Bull, Volkswagen, willing to buy clubs.

So the big differences is there is far more money chasing a limited product (elite clubs). Arsenal's value is based in large part on that.

Lastly, the prestige and ego stroking that comes with owning a major club.

Post #528839  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:46 am 

Here is an interesting transfer rumour. Apparently Leno has told Arsenal he'd like to move on in the summer, he's got 2 years left on his deal so Arsenal should really be making a decision one way or the other. A GK who Arsenal may target to replace him is Szczesny, bringing him home as Juve target a free transfer signing of AC Milan's Donnarumma.
Szczesny is a better GK than when he left us but I haven't watched much of him recently to see if he's still a top GK, at 31 he shouldn't be in decline yet - more like in his peak years as a GK. He also counts a a home-grown player which is something we need to be mindful of if we're looking at selling Bellerin, AMN, Willock, Nelson and Nketiah this summer

Post #528840  Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 am 

Decaf wrote:
Even Spurs, despite never winning anything more significant than the Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament in living memory

oi that's a prestigious trophy, don't pooh-pooh it!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13218, 13219, 13220, 13221, 13222, 13223, 13224 ... 14269  Next