Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 108 guests

Post #527721  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:47 pm 

No takers on this one ?
warrior wrote:
Hi all

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this ?

=====================================
Dear Sir,
I’m sure my dad played for Arsenal duringWW2. He didn’t talk about it too much
He did say about some of the players like Bastin and the Compton Brothers . Can you check it out for me and let me know if you find out if he got any goals and if he played in any Cup games I’m just watching Arsenal v Fulham on my TV over here in NJ and that’s what made me think of my dad .
Thank you for your time
Margaret Jobson Worlock

Post #527722  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm 

warrior wrote:
No takers on this one ?
warrior wrote:
Hi all

Dear Sir,
He did say about some of the players like Bastin and the Compton Brothers . Can you check it out for me and let me know if you find out if he got any goals and if he played in any Cup games I’m just watching Arsenal v Fulham on my TV over here in NJ and that’s what made me think of my dad .
Thank you for your time
Margaret Jobson Worlock
What was her dad's name?

Post #527723  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm 

Long time reader of the forum but don't post these days as the club seems to be on time loop and it's all been said before. However, if Arsenal do go ahead with the European Super League then I will cut all ties as what Arsenal Football Club have turned into is unrecognisable from what I fell in love with.

Would be just if all 6 of these teams were relegated.

Post #527724  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm 

warrior wrote:
No takers on this one ?
warrior wrote:
Hi all

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your time
Margaret Jobson Worlock

Could be Thomas Henry Jobson.
T H Jobson played 3 matches for Arsenal all in the South Regional League season 1940-41. The matches he played in were as follows:

23 Nov 1940 away to Northampton won 8-1
30 Nov 1940 home to Crystal Palace drew 2-2
7 Dec 1940 away to Chartlton Athletic lost 0-5

T H Jobson scored in the first match and played alongside some famous England internationals namely Ted Drake, Cliff Bastin and George Male all of whom won major honours in the 1930's are regarded by fans as Arsenal legends.

Post #527725  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:26 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:
No takers on this one ?

T H Jobson played 3 matches for Arsenal all in the South Regional League season 1940-41. The matches he played in were as follows:

23 Nov 1940 away to Northampton won 8-1
30 Nov 1940 home to Crystal Palace drew 2-2
7 Dec 1940 away to Chartlton Athletic lost 0-5

T H Jobson scored in the first match and played alongside some famous England internationals namely Ted Drake, Cliff Bastin and George Male all of whom won major honours in the 1930's are regarded by fans as Arsenal legends.

Nice find:

Also found this on Thomas Jobson, played for Ipswich and Leyton Orient as well, passed in 1981.

https://prideofanglia.com/page.php?page ... &first=Tom

And this:
https://www.leytonorient.com/wp-content ... y-2020.pdf

Thomas Henry Anthony JOBSON
Wing half Tom Jobson was born in west London, 9 November 1911. He
started off as a reserve player with Chelsea in the August 1936, he left London
to join Ipswich Town in August 1936 and made his debut in the FA Cup
Preliminary Round, a 7-1 win against Eastern Counties United on 17
September 1936. He made a total of 4 senior appearances (3 in FA Cup and 1
in the Southern League with 1 goal). He left Ipswich in July 1937 because he
lived in London and found the travelling too much.
Between November and December 1940, he made 3 appearances with 1 goal
for Arsenal in the WW2 South Regional League, he scored 1 goal, in an 8-1
win at Northampton Town on 23 November, a 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace on
30 November and on 7 December a 5-0 loss at Charlton Athletic. He also made
1 appearance for Watford in 1942-43.
Jobson was a painter and decorator by trade and served in the Royal Navy as
a PT Instructor. During the war, he made 1 wartime appearance for Watford
in 1942-43, after the War, he managed a number of non-league clubs.
He died in in Boxmoor, Hemel Hempstead during 1981.
Jobson made 2 wartime appearances for O's, 1 appearance in the London Cup
‘B’ Division in 1940-41 and 1 appearance in 1942-43

Post #527726  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:26 pm 

danny wrote:
Long time reader of the forum but don't post these days as the club seems to be on time loop and it's all been said before. However, if Arsenal do go ahead with the European Super League then I will cut all ties as what Arsenal Football Club have turned into is unrecognisable from what I fell in love with. Would be just if all 6 of these teams were relegated.
Intriguing what might happen. If there is to be a punishment (which is unlikely) then presumably banishment from the whole English football pyramid would be logical rather than simple relegation? Make them start again. Of course that won't happen, but it would be fun watching The Arsenal in a public park. I'd go along just to see David Luiz side-step the dog *%^@.

Post #527727  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

It is indeed Bromley - Tom Jobson

Thanks all.

Post #527728  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
danny wrote:
Long time reader of the forum but don't post these days as the club seems to be on time loop and it's all been said before. However, if Arsenal do go ahead with the European Super League then I will cut all ties as what Arsenal Football Club have turned into is unrecognisable from what I fell in love with. Would be just if all 6 of these teams were relegated.
Intriguing what might happen. If there is to be a punishment (which is unlikely) then presumably banishment from the whole English football pyramid would be logical rather than simple relegation? Make them start again. Of course that won't happen, but it would be fun watching The Arsenal in a public park. I'd go along just to see David Luiz side-step the dog *%^@.

At least there wouldn’t be VAR in a public park.

Post #527729  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm 

The idea of the superleague is growing on me. Someone on the radio reminded us what foortball was like in the 70s etc well it's going to happen so let's entertain it, provided:

The super leagues superperformers cannot play in our prem or for England if they played the same year in the sl. Our youth/second team would represent us in the prem and the same would happen at the other clubs who play in the sl. The prem regulates investment and wages so that football becomes a sport once again. Semi professionals would be welcome and prem players would represent National teams. Our youth, who I have always preferred to watch, will represent us say as the NL Arsenal. If necessary the big 6 will have to reform and joint from the lower leagues. 6 teams promoted from Championship first season 6 from 1st Division so on with our team coming back ast some point. Conversely tickets and prices would be greatly reduced and limited for all clubs at the same levels.

So no big money clubs everyone with same income and expenditure would result in grass roots football and would imo be better than what we have now.

Watch TG shoot this down, anyone agree?

Post #527730  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:04 pm 

Naturally stock market investors particularly the 2 on the US stock market are very happy. Juve and Man U in particular. Their stocks went up on news of this Super League.

Post #527731  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:11 pm 

One of the reasons I preferred Usmanov over Kroenke was because Usmanov, warts and all, would have been desperate to get accepted by fans and all. He'd have spent as such. Kroenke, once he got control, would be tone deaf to the wants of the fans.

Post #527732  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm 

Oh and while they're at it, let's just scrap the Euros comp this summer. Won't be necessary once this Super League comes into play. A lot of clubs not a part of the Super League, their players looking to represent their country, won't be able to participate in the Euros anyway. The impact on next year's WC may also be impacted.

Post #527733  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:25 pm 

No relegation in a Super League supposedly. Same set of clubs each season. Just rotation within the 20 participants, wun/lose. Guess splitting the PL into 2 groups of 10 so any promoted club into the PL at the start of a new season, from the Championship, wouldn't stand a chance of being promoted into the SL in May if they stay up. So Leicester, Everton, etc., while in the PL even can forget it.

Post #527734  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
It's Joe Lewis. He's one of the richest British football club owners in the country. Worth close to £4B.

Exactly. That was my point Zed. Lewis is British. Indeed, he’s from London like the team he supports and owns. I was uncomfortable with the idea we should be blaming foreigners, if that’s what Bored was implying. If he wasn’t, then I immediately apologise to him. But it was the impression his post gave me. It was:

“I dont mean to be xenophobic but I find it annoying that its being pushed by these foreign owners (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who have invested in English football clubs first and foremost to make money and who dont seem to care about the game or the fans itself.”

Probably right Bernard on what Bored said. Mainly it's non British owners pushing for the SL.

Post #527735  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:43 pm 

Let them have it. I won't be watching the majority of games, I will be watching our second team and my grandsons playing fair football not bought football.

Post #527736  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
The breakaway 12 clubs makes no sense. Presumably they’ll be cut off from the FIFA/UEFA/FA environments. If so then where will they get their players from? Any player signing for them would have no way back. I just can’t get my head around it at all.

Like bromley I doubt it will happen. I wonder if it’s a side threat, or negotiating position, for something else they want. Also, why are Bayern and PSG not getting involved?

I thought that was unusual as well. Nor have Dutch, Belgian, Portuguese clubs gotten involved. Turkey has two big clubs as well.

Post #527737  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

Only everyone who has followed football in the last decade could've predicted it would end up like this

A long time coming. This didn't just build up overnight.

Post #527738  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:55 pm 

Scotland hasn't offered up Celtic and Rangers into this SL either. Though they may choose to be.

Post #527739  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:03 pm 

This whole SL will have an avalanche effect.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Americas and Caribean clubs with their CONCACAF say, hey, we'll do the same and have our own SL. Their top 20 clubs from South Ameica, obviously Brazil and Argentina and the next in succession. Then Central American clubs of their 2 or 3 maybe, the N. America, the US, Mexico are obvious choices to be part of this 20. Caribbean clubs is smaller choices.
Don't count out this not happening. It really could.

Post #527740  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:21 pm 

A decent read.

https://www.thearsenalreview.com/articl ... ner-to-cut

Post #527741  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:31 pm 

Kroenke
You utter *%^@.
You are a disgrace and have no allegiance to our great club.
*%^@ off out of my club and take your poxy super league plans with you.

Post #527742  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:48 pm 

And more....sorry to be such a bore, but....

JPMorgan has confirmed they underwrite the project.

Each founding member would be provided at the start with ~$400 million, which is more than four times what the winner of the Champions League took home in 2020.

By forming their own competition, they believe they can better leverage their brands without smaller, less attractive clubs diluting their value.

Post #527743  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm 

One of the sad things about this super league stuff is it acts as a reminder Arsenal haven’t competed at the highest level of football for some time.

Never mind Arteta for 5 minutes it’s been going wrong since 2010 and it’s so so gutting.

We were crazy not to build on the success of the invincible period and let the finances of the stadium move wreck our team building. We had such pull during that period if we had the finances we would have been such a draw for any player if we had the cash.

Now we find ourselves so adrift that we really haven’t got the finances for the rebuild required and likely have to change the manager every few years to maintain fan satisfaction and top players won’t want to join,

Arsenal no longer compete, wont anytime soon and it’s just gutting

Post #527744  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm 

david.d wrote:
Kroenke
You utter *%^@.

It’s not your club. It’s not mine either.

It belongs to one single person. His very own possession. And therein lies our problem.

He got rid of shareholders (like Bernard) who had a voice. Now he has to listen to nobody.

Post #527745  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 pm 

Zed wrote:
And more....sorry to be such a bore, but....

JPMorgan has confirmed they underwrite the project.

Each founding member would be provided at the start with ~$400 million, which is more than four times what the winner of the Champions League took home in 2020.

By forming their own competition, they believe they can better leverage their brands without smaller, less attractive clubs diluting their value.

For Arsenal financially it’s a no brainer! Covers the loan, gives a budget towards the rebuild and neglect Kroenkes ownership has brought the club plus it removes the aggro of having to qualify anymore which we are too crap to achieve anyway.

Makes complete sense! Bring it on.

Post #527746  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:
Kroenke
You utter *%^@.

It’s not your club. It’s not mine either.

It belongs to one single person. His very own possession. And therein lies our problem.

He got rid of shareholders (like Bernard) who had a voice. Now he has to listen to nobody.

Actual video of AG agreeing to handle all this "Super League" business :icon_mrgreen:

Post #527747  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:34 pm 

Relax folks, can't see it happening now.
Attachment:

Post #527748  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 pm 

danny wrote:
Long time reader of the forum but don't post these days as the club seems to be on time loop and it's all been said before. However, if Arsenal do go ahead with the European Super League then I will cut all ties as what Arsenal Football Club have turned into is unrecognisable from what I fell in love with.

Would be just if all 6 of these teams were relegated.

Mate you can still come on here because many other topics are discussed which probably points to how football is losing its flavour.

Post #527749  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 pm 

The whole project will come down to what it takes to convince the FA to keep the teams in the EPL. I am sure it will be a payment of money because the EPL can’t do without the clubs because they are riding their own cash cow. But I don’t see how we would have one competitive team, let alone 2 for the different comps. You sup with the devil , there is certain to be some poison around.

Post #527750  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm 

Am I alone in wondering why our government and Opposition are getting involved in this latest football development? With all the needs we have there is plenty for them to do without wasting their time trying to exert control over a legal, if not popular venture. If the politicians are keen on stamping down on greed, how about a closer look at the scandalous tax avoidance in our country? Whatever we think of this new league it is worrying to see a government getting involved. What next, Boris Rovers?

Post #527751  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Am I alone in wondering why our government and Opposition are getting involved in this latest football development? With all the needs we have there is plenty for them to do without wasting their time trying to exert control over a legal, if not popular venture. If the politicians are keen on stamping down on greed, how about a closer look at the scandalous tax avoidance in our country? Whatever we think of this new league it is worrying to see a government getting involved. What next, Boris Rovers?

The,answer to your question is May, 6th I think.

Post #527752  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:04 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Good point, they have been literally handing out multi million covid contracts to all their mates and relatives. I’m not sure how they can take the moral high ground for a group of businesses hoping to open a new market for themselves.

Post #527753  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 am 

Mourinho will likely never get another top job at a club again. Top being a top 10 or less global club. Juve, PSG, Barca, RM, City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Bayern Munich.

He'll be offered the next tier down. Tottenham was already the next tier down. My guess is the best he'll be able to do is Dortmund, Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia, either Rome clubs...maybe....maybe Milan. Celtic or Rangers, Ajax, Feyenoord, any french club other than PSG, such as Monaco, Marseille, or Lyon.

I have a feeling he'll end up as national team manager for Portugal or 2nd tier Euro power or a country like Japan, South Korea, China, a decent South American team that isn't Brazil. Maybe...maybe Argentina if they are desperate enough.

I would have thought Wenger would have gotten another managerial job by now. My guess and its only a guess he over estimated himself.

Post #527754  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The whole project will come down to what it takes to convince the FA to keep the teams in the EPL. I am sure it will be a payment of money because the EPL can’t do without the clubs because they are riding their own cash cow. But I don’t see how we would have one competitive team, let alone 2 for the different comps. You sup with the devil , there is certain to be some poison around.

Your right, The compromise I guess would be they agree to continue in the premier league, don’t participate in the league cup anymore and the fa will have to be careful with the scheduling of fa cup fixtures. That’s a lot.

Post #527755  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Your right, The compromise I guess would be they agree to continue in the premier league, don’t participate in the league cup anymore and the fa will have to be careful with the scheduling of fa cup fixtures. That’s a lot.

Yep, the FA and others are just as self interested as anyone else and would sell their souls to keep their own snouts in their trough.

Post #527756  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 am 

The more that I read of the situation the worse it seems. We’ll end up with 12 Harlem Globetrotters teams.

Post #527757  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 am 

long time gooner wrote:
The more that I read of the situation the worse it seems. We’ll end up with 12 Harlem Globetrotters teams.

Yes. I don’t know if others feel like this but I no longer care about the Europa Cup and wouldn’t blame anyone if they immediately disqualified both us and Man U from it. Similar with those left in the CL who are leaving next year.

Post #527758  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:05 am 

long time gooner wrote:

The founding members are just a start there will be more clubs eventually as if munich, Dortmund and Galatasaray see these club’s are making 100s of millions they will want to join too and they will be allowed as the ESL would be crazy not to let them in.

At the moment they need to force the breakaway through which is the difficult part.

I saw a comment on twitter from the author Irvine Welsh that the ultimate goal is to capitalise on market interest in football overseas in Asia and elsewhere and so on and remove the geographical dependency of the clubs ultimately so Arsenal could play home games in China or the Middle East in a true franchise type model.

Post #527759  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 am 

People keep saying that the Superleague will not happen but these clubs have not done this on a whim, they have spent two years planning the move, no doubt investigating the legalities of it all thoroughly, and have signed binding contracts.

As I said yesterday, Sky, BT and Uefa are just up in arms because they risk losing their cash cows. These organisations were at the forefront of monetising football in the first place, they started the ball rolling so to speak, and now someone else has come along with deeper pockets and they don't like it. Just seems a little hypocritical to me.

Post #527760  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The founding members are just a start there will be more clubs eventually as if munich, Dortmund and Galatasaray see these club’s are making 100s of millions they will want to join too and they will be allowed as the ESL would be crazy not to let them in.

At the moment they need to force the breakaway through which is the difficult part.

I saw a comment on twitter from the author Irvine Welsh that the ultimate goal is to capitalise on market interest in football overseas in Asia and elsewhere and so on and remove the geographical dependency of the clubs ultimately so Arsenal could play home games in China or the Middle East in a true franchise type model.

Yes. The Arsenal that I grew up loving has gone. I’ve been in denial for some time now and have been pretending that it’s not so.

Reading that the owners of the breakaway clubs don’t understand the concept of relegation, nor care about PR, is simply appalling.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13191, 13192, 13193, 13194, 13195, 13196, 13197 ... 14269  Next