Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 101 guests

Post #527681  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 am 

socrates wrote:
Sky, BT and Uefa are just pissed because someone else has the audacity to stick their snout in the trough.

I reckon Uefa should have increased the CL places in the PL 6, then at least all the so-called big 6 clubs would have had a decent shot at CL qualification every year, and that's all they really care about.

On your second point: I think UEFA has been shooting itself in the foot by bloating European football, creating a system where the balance between domestic and European competitions is so out of kilter, that domestic leagues, like the domestic cups before them, are in danger of becoming second tier qualifying competitions. Once that happens, there is going to be pressure from the big clubs to change the rules to ensure their qualification, and from there it is a natural step to breaking away from the domestic leagues altogether. So no, I don't think that increasing CL qualification to the top 6 would be a good move.

On your first point: I think that is probably the main reason that it is unlikely to happen. There are huge vested interest in the status quo. The EPL for example is still a vast money spinner with a huge following around the world. It will be a huge dislocation and a big risk for clubs to shift from that. However, this is a big warning: we really need to avoid a situation where clubs start treating 6th place as almost as important as winning the league, and play weakened teams in the league in order to focus on champions league games.

Post #527682  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Why not, Rich, its the next logical step, as Bored said, in maximising profits.

I understand that, but I think the backlash from authorities and fans will be big enough to stop it. Talk of the authorities banning players from the national team and excluding them from their domestic league. So the super league clubs are left with just the super league fixtures each season. Fans will vote with their feet and we’ve seen what a lack of fans does to a clubs finances. It is now a case of who blinks first, the clubs who have formed this super league or the authorities who have threatened the ban for them in domestic leagues.

I think it will get done eventually. Maybe not now, but these people are patient and play the long game. There are a great many things the rich want and eventually bide their time. The government as well. For example. The removal 'net neutrality'. Google and others wanted it gone for years. The public in America said hell no. Eventually they bid their time, waited, found the right Congress and President to do it and it got done. The same will happen. Step 1 throw it out there and gauge the reaction. Step 2,Then take note of the reasons the opposition has given and work on a narrative that neutralizes it. Step 3, There will be an event, something in the future that will let it happen.

It will happen, sooner than any of you think it will. There is simply too much money to make for it to go away simply because of outcry from some fans. The tv revenue from America alone will make it a no brainer. Then the Chinese market, Euro market, the rest of the world? It's going to happen. That kind of money to be made never, ever loses these days. They'll line up the right politicians, whatever they have to, and it will get done. Count on it.

Post #527683  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Why not, Rich, its the next logical step, as Bored said, in maximising profits.

I understand that, but I think the backlash from authorities and fans will be big enough to stop it. Talk of the authorities banning players from the national team and excluding them from their domestic league. So the super league clubs are left with just the super league fixtures each season. Fans will vote with their feet and we’ve seen what a lack of fans does to a clubs finances. It is now a case of who blinks first, the clubs who have formed this super league or the authorities who have threatened the ban for them in domestic leagues.

Hi Rich,

The big clubs are powerful enough to find a way around it. They might even propose a superleague where the initial 12 teams play each other 4 times a season, thus creating a league with both midweek and weekend fixtures. At this juncture anything could happen.

I suspect fans of the clubs involved might profess faux outrage whilst secretly embracing the idea of playing the big clubs in europe every week.

Of course, as others have mentioned, how long would fans be happy if their team could never actually win anything because the likes of Madrid, Barca, City etc are just too strong and have all he very best players. However, it might be argued that lesser teams like Arsenal and Milan, say, might receive so much of a financial boost from the new league that they would be able to produce competitive teams again.

Uefa won't ban players from internationals because their world cups and euros would be devalued.

If I am honest, I would probably prefer to pay to watch a superleague where every game involves big clubs than the PL where I don't watch two thirds of the games anyway. Who wants to watch Burnley v WBA when you can watch two big sides play each other. As it is I mainly only watch PL games involving at least one of the big six anyway.

How quickly the excitement of a superleague would wear off it we kept getting thumped every week is another matter.

Post #527684  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
They will throw big money at players wages but where will the money come from? TV money I assume. The chances of me paying any extra money to watch us is zero. I don’t see why UEFA could not ask nations to ban clubs from their competition (EPL) if they sign up. It is just greedy people trying to make even more money out of the golden goose. We need to be really careful here as a club. They probably are trying to scam some other deal by doing this but frankly the club is a disgrace for being involved.

They may very well throw big money at players wages. But for all players at these clubs? What happens to such as the academies? If an academy player doesn’t make it into the first team then is he barred from going to a non-breakaway club?

Clearly, the breakaway league would have to develop/adopt lower tiers and a feeder system. Imagine Arsenal ending up a the joke team that always ends up last in the league.

The situation between it and FIFA would presumably be resolved one way or another. Might end up like boxing, with competing federations? In any case, I imagine there would be a bonanza for marketers and lawyers, and it would be the death knell for the system of local support and tradition.

Post #527685  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 am 

Horrific wildfires in Cape Town.

Post #527686  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:10 am 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:
Sky, BT and Uefa are just pissed because someone else has the audacity to stick their snout in the trough.

I reckon Uefa should have increased the CL places in the PL 6, then at least all the so-called big 6 clubs would have had a decent shot at CL qualification every year, and that's all they really care about.

On your second point: I think UEFA has been shooting itself in the foot by bloating European football, creating a system where the balance between domestic and European competitions is so out of kilter, that domestic leagues, like the domestic cups before them, are in danger of becoming second tier qualifying competitions. Once that happens, there is going to be pressure from the big clubs to change the rules to ensure their qualification, and from there it is a natural step to breaking away from the domestic leagues altogether. So no, I don't think that increasing CL qualification to the top 6 would be a good move.

On your first point: I think that is probably the main reason that it is unlikely to happen. There are huge vested interest in the status quo. The EPL for example is still a vast money spinner with a huge following around the world. It will be a huge dislocation and a big risk for clubs to shift from that. However, this is a big warning: we really need to avoid a situation where clubs start treating 6th place as almost as important as winning the league, and play weakened teams in the league in order to focus on champions league games.

Hi Decaf,

The PL is a moneyspinner but its the players and clubs that make it so, if the big clubs walk away from the PL it becomes a non-event and subscriptions would plummet.

The big clubs have so much power they can do whatever they want, unless goverments actually intervene and then it becomes a legal minefield.

A superleague is an obvious step. As one of the pundits pointed out, Man U's owners would prefer to see them playing the likes of Madrid, Juve, Barca several times a season with all the worldwide tv rights money that would bring in.

Post #527687  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:15 am 

Decaf wrote:

Shocking scenes.

Post #527688  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:19 am 

Arsenal have released a startement backing the European League

https://www.arsenal.com/news/european-s ... -announced

Post #527689  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:19 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

The big clubs are powerful enough to find a way around it. They might even propose a superleague where the initial 12 teams play each other 4 times a season, thus creating a league with both midweek and weekend fixtures. At this juncture anything could happen.

I suspect fans of the clubs involved might profess faux outrage whilst secretly embracing the idea of playing the big clubs in europe every week.

Of course, as others have mentioned, how long would fans be happy if their team could never actually win anything because the likes of Madrid, Barca, City etc are just too strong and have all he very best players.

How quickly the excitement of a superleague would wear off it we kept getting thumped every week is another matter.

That's what happened with the failed Rugby League super league. It wasn't the same because you had clubs flying to the other side of the world but ... 1. Fans weren't that interested in watching Cronulla Sharks vs Wigan as there was no history or regional rivalry, 2 there was next to zero away support for travelling clubs and 3. The English clubs werent as competitive and were frequently getting demolished so the novelty wore off and it became stale very quickly.

I can easily see the same things happening with this football version.

Post #527690  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:21 am 

grantyboy wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Of course, as others have mentioned, how long would fans be happy if their team could never actually win anything because the likes of Madrid, Barca, City etc are just too strong and have all he very best players.

That's what happened with the failed Rugby League super league. It wasn't the same because you had clubs flying to the other side of the world but ... 1. Fans weren't that interested in watching Cronulla Sharks vs Wigan as there was no history or regional rivalry, 2 there was next to zero away support for travelling clubs and 3. The English clubs werent as competitive and were frequently getting demolished so the novelty wore off and it became stale very quickly.

I can easily see the same things happening with this football version.

Hi Granty,

I agree that the travelling support is an issue but is that not the case with the CL anyway?

How competitive it would actually be in reality is another issue but I think the potentially ludicrous sums of money involved will persuade the big clubs to give it a go.

Post #527691  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 am 

Decaf wrote:

Saw a smaller version of that when there a couple of years ago. Scary sight.

Post #527692  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
This image went round social media to show the limitations of Elneny. He passed this first time backwards. Look at where smith Rowe is. It’s also the fact Elneny has predetermined that he’s going to play it back before he even gets the pass.

Elneny is full of energy. Good to close players down. He has the stamina to chase and chase and chase. Other than that, the expectations from a good offensive midfield player is beyond him. Good squad player.

Me too and my mates in London I have spoken to feel the same way. They'll not apply for season tickets and go and support he local team.

Football is part and parcel of the heritage of England. I cannot understand how authorities have allowed clubs that have interwoven in the fabric of English life for over a hundred years to be the play things of foreign billionaires. The Tories could bring in a rule that corporates could hold no more than 49% as they do in Germany. You wouldn't sell and opera house or museum to an American billionaire so why a football team. This break away has been coming for a while and needs to be squashed.

Post #527693  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 am 

socrates wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Shocking scenes.

Our daughter used to live in one of the streets that is being evacuated. We've got fires burning in our area of the Eastern Cape too.

The older I get, the less I feel that the mostly great weather we have down here makes putting up with all the scary stuff worth it.

Give me miserable English weather, and even Boris and breakaway leagues, any day.

Post #527694  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:48 am 

Decaf wrote:
However, this is a big warning: we really need to avoid a situation where clubs start treating 6th place as almost as important as winning the league, and play weakened teams in the league in order to focus on champions league games.

Weren’t Arsenal treating fourth place as almost as important as winning the league for ages? If that becomes sixth place things are getting worse, but it’s surely a principle that was already in place.

A few weeks back Top Gun said words to the effect that the only Premier League owner worse than Kroenke was Mike Ashley at Newcastle. I don’t recall his exact wording, whether it was as I said in my first sentence or something like the division’s only owner that he’d rather keep Arsenal’s than swap is Newcastle’s. With regards the meaning of what he said, it was something along those lines.

I actually agreed with Top Gun at the time. But now, I’m not so sure. Perhaps Ashley if he owned Arsenal would also be pushing for the super league? But we don’t know that. Newcastle aren’t, but they won’t have been invited to so I accept it’s possible Ashley, had he owned Arsenal, might have. But I’ll repeat my earlier observation, we don’t know.

However, what we do know is that Stan is pushing very hard for it. For me, that’s enough to make me change my mind from the time Top Gun did his post. Yes, I’m pretty sure that if I had the choice of Stan Kroenke or Mike Ashley being Arsenal’s owner, I would now choose Ashley.

Post #527695  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:54 am 

What makes the CL and to a far lesser extent the Europa cup around quarter final / semi final time is seeing good, often iconic clubs in their own countries play each other. Juve vs Man Utd doesn't happen each season. They can go several years without playing each other so when they do its exciting. As an example. The proposed Super League is basically transforming those 'special' European nights into a league.

I think in the beginning it would be exciting to see them all play each other but after it got normalized it wouldn't be. Especially if some of the clubs have a bad season. If this proposed league fails it will likely be because of the product on the pitch. There will be global excitement having back to back games weekly of PSG vs. Juve, Man Utd vs Barcelona, Chelsea vs. Real Madrid or even Arsenal vs. Bayern Munich but the shiny new toy will lose its gleam after a while. They'll have to plan it and market it very carefully. My guess it will include some 'cup' as well as a league title and so, a possible 'double'.

Were I to advise them, I'd tell them not to make it a league in the traditional sense but have it every 2 or 4 years possibly.

There are way too many games now as it is if you include international friendlies and the Euros and world cup qualifiers. There is a saturation point.

One type of competition that would make a lot of money and garner some interest probably is an England XI from all the clubs vs a Spain XI and perhaps a German XI vs an Italian XI. The all EPL team basically vs the all la Liga? Seeing RM and Barcelona players on the same side against an EPL side with City, Man Utd and Liverpool players.

Post #527696  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
One type of competition that would make a lot of money and garner some interest probably is an England XI from all the clubs vs a Spain XI and perhaps a German XI vs an Italian XI. The all EPL team basically vs the all la Liga? Seeing RM and Barcelona players on the same side against an EPL side with City, Man Utd and Liverpool players.

My view is that it would have all the excitement of a pre-season friendly.

It’s an idea from a time gone by. There did used to be matches involving representative sides from the Football League, Scottish League and Irish League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Football_League_XI

Post #527697  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 am 

Close your eyes. Now imagine 1/8/21 the start of the super league. Our team, as it is, maybe with a few new players and some that have headed back to the EPL because they want to play in the WC. How competitive do you think we will be. Are you feeling excited?

Now go to the bookies and try to back Arsenal to finish last.

Post #527698  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

It’s an idea from a time gone by. There did used to be matches involving representative sides from the Football League, Scottish League and Irish League.

Remember the Anglo Italian games that happened in the 70’s

Post #527699  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Thrilling weren’t they?

Post #527700  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Thrilling weren’t they?

They were if you were a Swindon fan.

Post #527701  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Thrilling weren’t they?

No but neither are a lot of the games in Europe nowadays. Mind you never saw a game: just read some reports.

Post #527702  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 am 

*%^@*** hell Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer actually agree on the super league.

It’s just got no chance of happening :laughing7:

Post #527703  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:10 am 

The real interesting thing on the super league is going to be watching the managers being asked to comment on it and watching them squirm as they have to navigate their viewpoint that they don’t agree with it whilst trying to not talk themselves out of a job.

Might get quite a few “no comments”

Post #527704  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

lol...really? How can I be sure you're not poo pooing the idea and drafting a presentation to the big boys about it so you can make some dosh?

Anyways, too many matches as it is, but then again, is any more than all those replays I read about in the cups in bygone years?

Post #527705  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am 

Jose sacked

Post #527706  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:27 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Thrilling weren’t they?

No but neither are a lot of the games in Europe nowadays. Mind you never saw a game: just read some reports.

To be fair you can say the same about current domestic league matches. Boring games isn’t really the problem with the super league idea.

Post #527707  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:31 am 

DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

Ryan Mason in temporary charge. I'm amazed they've sacked him before the league cup final. Levy must have someone lined up already as he did when he sacked Pochettino

Post #527708  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am 

DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

I heard the rumours. Is it confirmed? Somone said he came out against the super league as well but I haven't seen the statement.

Post #527709  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 am 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

Ryan Mason in temporary charge. I'm amazed they've sacked him before the league cup final. Levy must have someone lined up already as he did when he sacked Pochettino

Might Levy be hoping for a new manager bounce? If so, the timing may not be too surprising. I hope they don’t get a new manager bounce for the final next weekend. But City were poor against Chelsea and I’ve got to say, worse teams than Tottenham have beaten better sides than City in one off fixtures many times.

Post #527710  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 am 

DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

Only everyone who has followed football in the last decade could've predicted it would end up like this

Post #527711  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:01 am 

Levy must have locked down his new manager already surely?

That’s what he’s been doing recently when he hires and fires. Who is it likely to be ?

Post #527712  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 am 

The super league is just the obvious next step to follow the formation of the premier league, the champions league, both of which concentrated the money to fewer and fewer clubs, and of course the arrival of billionaires owning our football clubs. I preferred football the way it was but then I’m from a different era to the young people around the world who will tune in to watch the super league.
I’ve preferred grass roots football to top level football for a while now.

Post #527713  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 am 

This ESL is why Kroenke bought us in the first place. It’s all been leading up to this. Arsene said this would happen years ago and he must have told the Kroenkes that too. They knew it was only a mater of time. This is the cash cow they’ve always wanted.

Post #527714  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:59 am 

DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

Can we really say Arteta is doing a better job?

Post #527715  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:03 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
The super league is just the obvious next step to follow the formation of the premier league, the champions league, both of which concentrated the money to fewer and fewer clubs, and of course the arrival of billionaires owning our football clubs. I preferred football the way it was but then I’m from a different era to the young people around the world who will tune in to watch the super league. I’ve preferred grass roots football to top level football for a while now.
I agree with you- I am just hoping The Darts resist the invitation to join. Amongst the many quick-fire responses from pundits so far, the one that has made me chuckle most is the notion that this latest football development is somehow against a pandemic-suffering world. Across the globe billions of taxpayer's money has flown into greedy pockets - often unaccountably - and we are supposed to be outraged by football clubs setting up a new competition?

Post #527716  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:07 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
DHD wrote:
Jose sacked

Yes - he led Arsenal to a trophy, unlike Mourinho at Spurs!

Post #527717  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:17 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

Yes - he led Arsenal to a trophy, unlike Mourinho at Spurs!

True, and that's the sole reason he's still at the club.

Post #527718  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Levy must have locked down his new manager already surely?

That’s what he’s been doing recently when he hires and fires. Who is it likely to be ?

Allegri? Nagelsman is the bookies favourite.

Post #527719  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:10 pm 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56799400

I felt sorry for Jose after his Man Utd sacking. I won't make that mistake again. He's a class A a-hole. Will always be one.

Post #527720  Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 pm 

Front page of CNN now.

Shock and outrage as world reacts to European Super League breakaway plans

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/19/foot ... index.html

Anyone heard of this ? :angel4:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13190, 13191, 13192, 13193, 13194, 13195, 13196 ... 14269  Next