Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests

Post #527441  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 am 

I think we need to rest players this weekend. The league is done, frankly. Put everything into the Europa, rest some key players in the PL and give the fringe and young players some minutes.

Post #527442  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am 

Darren wrote:
I think we need to rest players this weekend. The league is done, frankly. Put everything into the Europa, rest some key players in the PL and give the fringe and young players some minutes.

I totally agree but the problem Arteta has is the moment he drops any key player he gets attacked so he can’t win. The hysteria that follows any result that isn’t 3 points for us affects confidence. It’s an absolute furore

Post #527443  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:50 am 

Darren wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I frankly disagree.

Same. I think last night showed exactly how powerful it can be. That picture of Lacazette will live long in the memory.

Really impressed with Lacazette this whole season: for his role on the pitch, and as an example and leader for the younger players.

Post #527444  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Our biggest enemy at the moment is the proverbial handbrake.

We’re so inconsistent. A fine win today, but we’re more than capable of dropping points against Fulham.

We can win the Europa League with the players we have. On paper the most likely final is Arsenal versus Manchester United. The respective league positions of the two clubs suggests they’re the better team. But if we have one of our good days in the final, I’d fancy us to beat them. The uncertain thing is whether we’d have one of our good days. You don’t know what Arsenal is going to turn up in any game.

I'd rather be playing Utd in a one off game than over two legs.

Heard on the radio this morning that next seasons European Super Cup Final will be held in Belfast!! Here's hoping to see the arse back in town, been a while.

Post #527445  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

I totally agree but the problem Arteta has is the moment he drops any key player he gets attacked so he can’t win. The hysteria that follows any result that isn’t 3 points for us affects confidence. It’s an absolute furore

I'm focussing on the upward trajectory in our mean performance (even if that is harder to detect definitively in our results), and trying to shut out rather significant scatter around that mean :laughing7: :laughing7:

Arteta needs to figure out how to cut out those frustratingly sluggish starts. Against Liverpool and West Ham, the mentality might have been to keep it tight which leads to tentativeness and it goes pear-shaped from there. We are simply not playing to our strengths. Ditto the first league against Prague. If you are the home team in first leg, you need to put the fear of away goals completely out of mind.

Post #527446  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am 

Darren wrote:

I thought we could have made some subs earlier, given them half and hour whilst resting the likes of Emile Smith Rowe and Saka for another day. I mean not even we could have conceded four goals in half an hour? Could we :laughing7:

Post #527447  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm focussing on the upward trajectory in our mean performance (even if that is harder to detect definitively in our results), and trying to shut out rather significant scatter around that mean :laughing7: :laughing7: .

What do you mean ? You think Arteta shouldn’t be sacked for bringing on El Nenny for 14 minutes in a sewn up game ?

Lefty woke nonsense off with the guys head.

Post #527448  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:25 am 

If we get past Villarreal I dont think my nerves /health could handle a final against Utd.
Losing to Chelsea in Baku was bad enough but losing to those tossers would be excruciating.
I'm praying Roma can knock them out but are they strong enough to? I have my doubts.
Can only hope and pray.
Utd are a very good team but so are we on our day.
But first Villarreal......

Post #527449  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 am 

Decaf wrote:
Darren wrote:
Same. I think last night showed exactly how powerful it can be. That picture of Lacazette will live long in the memory.

Really impressed with Lacazette this whole season: for his role on the pitch, and as an example and leader for the younger players.

He’s not perhaps quite up to the standard required for a title challenging team, but he’s an honest professional and in my opinion, a far better choice for Captain than anyone else at the moment.

And keep taking the knee; if people say they’re getting hacked off with it, it means there’s still work to do in getting rid of racism.

Post #527450  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 am 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

He’s not perhaps quite up to the standard required for a title challenging team, but he’s an honest professional and in my opinion, a far better choice for Captain than anyone else at the moment.

And keep taking the knee; if people say they’re getting hacked off with it, it means there’s still work to do in get ting rid of racism.

:53big-emoticons: :53big-emoticons:

Post #527451  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am 

Gunfire wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/16/arteta-reacts-to-powerful-alexandre-lacazette-gesture-amid-slavia-prague-race-row-14418295/?ito=newsnow-feed

Respect to Arsenal, Lacazette & his team. Stamp out Racism.

This taking the knee nonsense is beginning to grate frankly. It's over a year now.

But the ugly face of racism is still happening

Post #527452  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

This taking the knee nonsense is beginning to grate frankly. It's over a year now.

But the ugly face of racism is still happening

But far less than it used to. Furthermore the knee taking is now so perfunctory and done so often it has lost its meaning if ever it had any. Certainly racists aren't going to change their ways because a bunch of highly paid players kneel down.

Post #527453  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 am 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

And keep taking the knee; if people say they’re getting hacked off with it, it means there’s still work to do in getting rid of racism.

Our club told Mesut Özil to shut up for the temerity of mentioning an ongoing genocide. Somehow that racism seems not to be worthy of mention. I smell virtue signalling.

Post #527454  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:45 am 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Well said John.
How anyone can get hacked off or bored of it beggars belief.

Post #527455  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am 

Dont agree that we should just give up on the league.
Of course we have to give our all to winning the Europa but while there is still a chance to nick a Europa spot via top 7 we have to go for it.
We get knocked out or lose in the final at least we have achieved qualification for next season.
Spurs run in on paper is harder than ours and we are only 4 points behind them.
Top 7 still can be done.

Post #527456  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I'm focussing on the upward trajectory in our mean performance (even if that is harder to detect definitively in our results), and trying to shut out rather significant scatter around that mean :laughing7: :laughing7: .

What do you mean ? You think Arteta shouldn’t be sacked for bringing on El Nenny for 14 minutes in a sewn up game ?

Lefty woke nonsense off with the guys head.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

On reflection, I would agree that beheading would be a bit harsh.

Post #527457  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 am 

Niall wrote:
Heard on the radio this morning that next seasons European Super Cup Final will be held in Belfast!! Here's hoping to see the arse back in town, been a while.

Really? I would LOVE to visit Belfast. As soon as this covid19 mess is over, I'm heading to games. It's interesting, the pandemic has made me feel a certain way of not being able to make games that I didn't make a great enough effort to go to prior.

I'm definitely going to some when we're able to go to it live. PS: I'll be wearing the Mustafi shirt. :1laughter:

Post #527458  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:57 am 

Never really expected to beat Chelsea in that final. However despite them being 2nd in the table and likely finish runner up, Man Utd are very vulnerable. They are no where near Ferguson's Man Utd. It's not a stretch to see us beat them and that is what would make a final nerve racking. Knowing we are definitely in with a shout and losing a game that is very winnable if we do what we all know we are capable of.

Post #527459  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:09 am 

Gunfire wrote:
john1 wrote:

Our club told Mesut Özil to shut up for the temerity of mentioning an ongoing genocide. Somehow that racism seems not to be worthy of mention. I smell virtue signalling.

Kaepernick got a lot more flak for his stand than Özil did. In my view, Özil and co should persist with their activism. Kaepernick's refusal to be cowed was certainly effective. I think that Özil's stand was arguably more political (it was a direct criticism of the Chinese government) whereas the anti-racism stance is not singling out any political entity, and it is something that football has already bought into. Finally its impossible to imagine that what we saw last night was virtue signalling from Lacazette, and the reports are that he talked to Arteta about it first. He conducted himself in a professional, and I think, inspiring way.

Post #527460  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 am 

Gunfire wrote:
john1 wrote:

So is your argument there are so many forms of discrimination in the world that there’s no point making a stand against any of them?

Post #527461  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:
We’re so inconsistent. A fine win today, but we’re more than capable of dropping points against Fulham.

We can win the Europa League with the players we have. On paper the most likely final is Arsenal versus Manchester United. The respective league positions of the two clubs suggests they’re the better team. But if we have one of our good days in the final, I’d fancy us to beat them. The uncertain thing is whether we’d have one of our good days. You don’t know what Arsenal is going to turn up in any game.

The shorter the better. If we could make it a T20 cricket match or a coin toss, I'd take that. United are pretty scary at the moment. They haven't lost in the league or Europe since January (and that was a freak loss against Sheffield United.

Post #527462  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Kaepernick got a lot more flak for his stand than Özil did. In my view, Özil and co should persist with their activism. Kaepernick's refusal to be cowed was certainly effective. I think that Özil's stand was arguably more political (it was a direct criticism of the Chinese government) whereas the anti-racism stance is not singling out any political entity, and it is something that football has already bought into. Finally its impossible to imagine that what we saw last night was virtue signalling from Lacazette, and the reports are that he talked to Arteta about it first. He conducted himself in a professional, and I think, inspiring way.

Absolutely. And we need to remember what happened at Rangers with the Slavia Prague player, who only got a 10 match ban.

Post #527463  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:26 am 

Gunfire wrote:
But far less than it used to. Furthermore the knee taking is now so perfunctory and done so often it has lost its meaning if ever it had any. Certainly racists aren't going to change their ways because a bunch of highly paid players kneel down.

I suppose the question has to be whether ‘taking the knee’ does anything to reduce racism? I presume that cannot have been proven one way or the other considering the only player I’m aware of who has stopped doing it is Crystal Palace’s Wilfred Zaha, who is obviously black himself.

I think it’s noticeable that with every single live game shown on telly, as far as those I’ve seen the start of anyway, the commentators always make a point of saying why it’s being done. They must have been told to do so, I’m guessing to stop people forgetting why players are doing it. Without commentators doing that, would I have forgotten why it ever started? I’d like to think my memory isn’t quite so bad to have no idea at all why it started, but in years to come it would probably be no more than something in the ‘back of my mind’.

I’m not saying ‘taking the knee’ should be stopped, but I’m not convinced it does anything useful to stop racism either. It does sometimes strike me as football doing a flimsy bit of pretending to do something worthwhile, when I’m not sure it is. I feel there are measures that are immeasurably more important that could be done such as in children’s education and stopping online racial abuse, for just two examples.

I think the main thing football has done is make black players heroes to white kids and vice versa. What white kid who supported Arsenal at the time couldn’t have seen Henry, Vieira and Campbell as heroes; and what black kid who supported Arsenal couldn’t have seen Bergkamp, Petit and Adams as heroes? Hopefully exactly the same thing applies to modern white kids with Saka and black kids with Smith Rowe. The same thing will apply with young fans at other clubs.

Post #527464  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

I thought we could have made some subs earlier, given them half and hour whilst resting the likes of Emile Smith Rowe and Saka for another day. I mean not even we could have conceded four goals in half an hour? Could we :laughing7:

I would have thought the team would have barely got out of 1st gear for most of the second half. It should have been more akin to a light jog and pronbably not that much difference whether they played 60, 70, 80 or 90 minutes other than the risk of injury by simply being on the pitch longer.
I'm talking slightly tongue in cheek here but there are games that players can physically and mentally turn down the intensity levels. For example I reckon the players who played 90 minutes yesterday would be less fatigued by the 90 minutes v Slavia than 60 minutes in a full throttle premier league game like the game v West Ham or Liverpool

Post #527465  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I suppose the question has to be whether ‘taking the knee’ does anything to reduce racism? I presume that cannot have been proven one way or the other considering the only player I’m aware of who has stopped doing it is Crystal Palace’s Wilfred Zaha, who is obviously black himself.

I think it’s noticeable that with every single live game shown on telly, as far as those I’ve seen the start of anyway, the commentators always make a point of saying why it’s being done. They must have been told to do so, I’m guessing to stop people forgetting why players are doing it. Without commentators doing that, would I have forgotten why it ever started? I’d like to think my memory isn’t quite so bad to have no idea at all why it started, but in years to come it would probably be no more than something in the ‘back of my mind’.

I’m not saying ‘taking the knee’ should be stopped, but I’m not convinced it does anything useful to stop racism either. It does sometimes strike me as football doing a flimsy bit of pretending to do something worthwhile, when I’m not sure it is. I feel there are measures that are immeasurably more important that could be done such as in children’s education and stopping online racial abuse, for just two examples.

I think the main thing football has done is make black players heroes to white kids and vice versa. What white kid who supported Arsenal at the time couldn’t have seen Henry, Vieira and Campbell as heroes; and what black kid who supported Arsenal couldn’t have seen Bergkamp, Petit and Adams as heroes? Hopefully exactly the same thing applies to modern white kids with Saka and black kids with Smith Rowe. The same thing will apply at young fans at other clubs.

Some fair points Bernard.

But taking the knee seems to me to be a highly visible, powerful statement that certainly has raised awareness, especially I think amongst the young.

We need to keep shining a light on the dark places where racism and all forms of injustice in the world exist, and this particular stance is one way of helping to achieve that. But as you say, more need to be done.

And one more thing; last night’s episode of taking the knee has got us talking about it.

Post #527466  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:45 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%8 ... _CF_season

A low down on Villarreal this season for results and form. I haven't watched any of their games.

Seems they were up in the top 4 for a while but have dropped off recently. Lots of draws suggest they stay in games and keep things tight. In fact only Barca has scored more than 2 goals against them all season (edit: Sivasspor lost 5-3 to them in Europa group stage)

Villarreal have also won home and away in all 6 of their knock out games in Europa league. Much better than our 3 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat

Post #527467  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:28 pm 

john1 wrote:

So is your argument there are so many forms of discrimination in the world that there’s no point making a stand against any of them?

After Floyd's killing ok but one year on is OTT. You should look into BLM.

Post #527468  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I think the main thing football has done is make black players heroes to white kids and vice versa. What white kid who supported Arsenal at the time couldn’t have seen Henry, Vieira and Campbell as heroes; and what black kid who supported Arsenal couldn’t have seen Bergkamp, Petit and Adams as heroes? Hopefully exactly the same thing applies to modern white kids with Saka and black kids with Smith Rowe. The same thing will apply with young fans at other clubs.

Good post. Like you I feel it does little to advance any cause but gives a warm smug feeling of being right on to wealthy players and clubs.

Post #527469  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:57 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Good post. Like you I feel it does little to advance any cause but gives a warm smug feeling of being right on to wealthy players and clubs.

There you have to folks.

Campaigning againest racism enables smugness on the part of the campaigner ! :58big-emoticons:

Post #527470  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:02 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
john1 wrote:

You can 'look into' just about any organisation or movement and find 'issues', even if you leave aside nonsensical conspiracy theories linking it all to George Soros. BLM is the sort of movement that is inevitably going to attract hotheads, identitarians, and extremists.

However, if you look at it without the ideological glass on, you will find that for the most it is a genuine grass root movement, driven by real issues (as we speak Republicans are shamelessly attempting to enact measures to disenfranchise black voters), with a non-violent, inclusive ethos.

Post #527471  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:23 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
john1 wrote:

You should 'look into' the history of the taking the knee protest. It started in 2016, motivated amongst other things by the shooting of Philando Castile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... do_Castile

It started like this: "The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery. The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just because of the wide-set nose."

That story, and others like it (like George Floyd's neck being 'taken a knee' upon), counteracts any smugly fuzzy warm feeling I might have experienced when I saw Lacazette's actions last night.

Post #527472  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm 

Warm and fuzzy:
"Reynolds told the officer, "You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir."[3][26] Reynolds also said "Please don't tell me he's dead", while Yanez exclaimed: "I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hand open!"[28]

At one point in the video footage, an officer orders Reynolds to get on her knees and the sound of Reynolds being handcuffed can be heard. Reynolds' phone falls onto the ground but continues recording, and an officer periodically yells, "*%^@!"[37] Video from the squad car of Joseph Kauser (where Reynolds and her daughter were put after Reynolds was handcuffed), shows Reynolds' daughter telling her, "Mom, please stop cussing and screaming 'cause I don't want you to get shooted. Reynolds was taken into custody, questioned at a police station, and released the following morning around 5:00 a.m"

i.e. imprisoned overnight because the cops shot her partner for nothing.

Post #527473  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Niall wrote:

Really? I would LOVE to visit Belfast. As soon as this covid19 mess is over, I'm heading to games. It's interesting, the pandemic has made me feel a certain way of not being able to make games that I didn't make a great enough effort to go to prior.

I'm definitely going to some when we're able to go to it live. PS: I'll be wearing the Mustafi shirt. :1laughter:

Get yourself over then American.

One/two days would be enough for Belfast, then get yourself off to Derry, Galway, Dublin, Kerry etc. Best way to do Ireland is tour around.

Post #527474  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Niall wrote:

The shorter the better. If we could make it a T20 cricket match or a coin toss, I'd take that. United are pretty scary at the moment. They haven't lost in the league or Europe since January (and that was a freak loss against Sheffield United.

Yeah, I'm hoping for Roma tbh.

Post #527475  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Who was the first black player to play for Arsenal? I don't know the answer and am not going to google it - but going to guess Viv Anderson.

Post #527476  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

He conducted himself in a professional, and I think, inspiring way.

True, and an superb image it was - and I agree with whoever said earlier - seeing the ref doing it as well in the picture was also awesome.

Post #527477  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 pm 

This is Emery's competition. Look at how many finals he's been to in the last several years and with 2 different sides and now trying with a 3rd side. For whatever reason the football gods have blessed him in this competition. I'm not counting our chickens. We have yet to put back to back great outings. I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach. I know I sound like a wet blanket but I'm not going to get too emotionally invested in this seasons side now. They've teased me and let me down more times than Shawnell Thompson in HS. (She's since married and changed her name so you can't look her up to see what she looks like :icon_mrgreen: )

Hoping Roma does us a favor.

Post #527478  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:53 pm 

Attachment:

Take a close look at this.

Post #527479  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm 

Zed wrote:
Attachment:
ef9581858269e0e5e7d1b6f1438e9ef2.jpeg.jpg
Take a close look at this.

Sorry what am I looking for ?

Post #527480  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:08 pm 

What do you see in the Prague team in that photo?
Didn't figure it would be mentioned on here that there are 6 black players in the Prague side, from Liberia, Ivory Coast, Senegal. One possibly mixed race who's Danish named Alexander Bah.
I noticed this before our 2 EL matches against Prague. Many black players are on many Euro teams. How racism impacts them personally and directly, I don't know. Whether taking the knee or in Zaha's case 'taking a stand' is no different. From what I understand is Zaha doesn't want taking the knee to be a spectacle or weakness and reflect away from the real racist issues, so he stands to show strength.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13184, 13185, 13186, 13187, 13188, 13189, 13190 ... 14269  Next