Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 30 guests

Post #527041  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:14 am 

Aubameyang said to be out the the flu. Just read an article that says public health england have not had a single case of the flu in2021. The chances of Aubameyang having flu are so so slim

Post #527042  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
8 games to go in the EPL. There can be no reason why Martnelli does not start in a majority of those games and Balogun must get some starts. We should be starting to plan for next season.

I agree, but there is still the slim chance of snatching 7th and ensuring European football via the league. We’ve got the easiest run in. We need to overtake Leeds, villa, Everton and spurs. We should be, should be, winning 7 of our remaining 8 games. If we did I think we’d get at least 7th

Post #527043  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:33 am 

Zed wrote:
Bernard,
I think you mean Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003 not 1993. Oh to have been Ken Bates and bought Chelsea in 1982 for £1, turn around and sell the club to Abramovich for £18M I'm 2003. But, wouldn't want the club debt of around £80M prior to selling.

Yes of course. Silly me. Genuine thanks Zed for reminding me of the dates. So make it eighteen years that he’s owned Chelsea for. My basic point about that still remains. Look at the fuss that was made about Abramovich when he first took over and compare it to now. It has reduced significantly over the eighteen years. In another ten years I imagine that’ll be even more the case. It’s the way time often works with history. But I do accept there will always be the occasional person who goes on about Abramovich with Chelsea’s status.

After all, I still hear the odd Tottenham fan here and there go on about Arsenal using personal ‘influence’ (more common words they use are bribery, corruption and such like) to get back into the old First Division and that was over a century ago. That possibly had longer-term relevance to the status of the North London clubs. Those Tottenham fans weren’t even alive back then. I tend to see them as ‘saddos’, and eventually I wonder if that word will becoming more associated with those using Abramovich’s influence decades in the future? Nevertheless, I do accept Abramovich will remain an issue for some in the long distant future.

However, despite that careless mistake I do still feel the post was a relevant one, as it covered other issues.

Post #527044  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Apart from here, it’s not really mentioned that much. Abramovich took over Chelsea in 1993 as his first season there was our unbeaten league campaign. That’s 28 years ago. Nearly thirty years is a hell of a long time.

Eh? Have you been on the plonk? :12hello-bye:

I can’t even put it down to having a bottle of Chateau Latour, as I didn’t.

Post #527045  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:53 am 

The Blades sit at the bottom of the table with no hope of staying up. This game should 3 games in the bag but as we all know, we often play down to the level of the opposition.

It's said clubs in Sheffield's predicament have nothing to lose and play as such and would love a big name scalp as they are going down.

We should win this one pretty much no matter who we put out. Yes, respect the opposition and we don't have the luxury of taking the game for granted but we really should win this one. Anything other than a win is unacceptable.

As far as Aubameyang with the flu, its possible I guess. There aren't going to be zero flu cases. People still stay out in the outdoors or whatever too long and catch colds and flus. I take it, it seems 'suspicious'?

Post #527046  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 am 

Martinelli is part of a 'too long' list of Arsenal players going back to Wenger that you wonder why they aren't playing. I'd love to have the real story of why. Saliba being the most recent and to a lesser extent Balogun.

Post #527047  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:06 am 

Rich wrote:
I agree, but there is still the slim chance of snatching 7th and ensuring European football via the league. We’ve got the easiest run in. We need to overtake Leeds, villa, Everton and spurs. We should be, should be, winning 7 of our remaining 8 games. If we did I think we’d get at least 7th

Hi Rich. While you’re right with regards the maths of getting up the table, as I’ve said before the only consistent thing about our performances and results this season is our inconsistency. Accepting what you say about having a good looking run in, I will be surprised if we get the results that on paper we should. Today, as you say elsewhere, we play the worst team in the league. We should win comfortably and are thus firm favourites. But am I confident we will? The answer to my own question is a big, firm no.

Post #527048  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:16 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
8 games to go in the EPL. There can be no reason why Martnelli does not start in a majority of those games and Balogun must get some starts. We should be starting to plan for next season.

Hi Rich,

Winning 7 out of 8 is title winning form. I'd be surprised if we win more than half those games given our inconsistency and ability to shoot ourselves in the foot at any given moment.

It's sad but thats where we are at the moment.

Post #527049  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 am 

I can see us catching Villa and Leeds. However, I'd be happily surprised if we catch Everton who are 5 points ahead with a game in hand. Obviously, I think the planets will have to align perfectly to catch either Tottenham or West Ham either. Never thought I'd see the day when I'm saying that about Everton and West Ham. Although I'm very, very happy for West Ham. I read a lot of Dickens in school, maybe that's why. :icon_mrgreen:

Leeds is playing well (shhh...don't tell ltg) enough to keep us at bay. I don't think its a foregone conclusion we'll catch either.

Bottom line is we are all over the place. We aren't able to play well for a full 90 minutes against anyone. We haven't shown we can close out a match against anyone. We're our own worst enemy.

Again, I love the optimism of some but I'm a realist. And at the risk of sounding like a party pooper, I don't see us finishing higher than 10th if I'm honest to my own logic, reason and objectivity.

PS: We may be wise to be just as wary of Wolves or Palace as we are about catching Villa or Leeds.

Post #527050  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:16 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Winning 7 out of 8 is title winning form. I'd be surprised if we win more than half those games given our inconsistency and ability to shoot ourselves in the foot at any given moment.

It's sad but thats where we are at the moment.

Yep, I definitely don’t think we’ll win more than half either. I can certainly see us having the ability to throw in a very ‘meh’ performance in every one of those games.

Post #527051  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 am 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4_fcK0qQo

Fast forward to 30:45 to hear Graham Hunters thoughts on Arteta. It’s a firm an endorsement of him as I’ve heard from anyone

Post #527052  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

A wine I haven’t tried yet. Any good ?

Looking online it seems a pricey one if your just having a sloosh if it’s not a fine dinner or special occasion

Post #527053  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:48 am 

Rich wrote:

Fast forward to 30:45 to hear Graham Hunters thoughts on Arteta. It’s a firm an endorsement of him as I’ve heard from anyone

He kind of echoes my thoughts on this. “It’s Artetas team! Is it *%^@!” :laughing7:

There’s this huge pile of cow dung and underneath it sits Arteta and it’s impossible to pass judgement on it because of the huge pile of *%^@.

There’s a tactical structure there but probably not the right players to implement it and a general talent deficit as he described. So it’s left with our fans frustrated at a league position and micro analysing minor points in the belief we already possess the answer when we don’t.

Post #527054  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:53 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I just can’t see it happening. For years we have been the ‘if only’ team. If only we won this game or that, if only Aubameyang had converted the penalty against Spurs we would have got CL, if only we signed...., if only we purchased a midfielder/ CB, if only ..... didn’t get injured. I don’t see us making it happen. Time to look at next season.

Post #527055  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Looking online it seems a pricey one if your just having a sloosh if it’s not a fine dinner or special occasion

In my view it’s one of the very greatest wines in the world. Very consistent, as even in the lesser Bordeaux vintages they perform, in my view, better than other first growths. I remember going to a tasting of the 1961 (one of the Bordeaux vintages of the century) big eight for red Bordeaux. The five formal first growth (namely Lafite, Latour, Margaux, Haut Brion and Mouton Rothschild, plus Petrus, Cheval Blanc and Ausone) and the Latour was my own favourite. I like my reds to be full bodied and robust, and Latour is. Chateau Lafite can be a bit lighter.

Post #527056  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

He kind of echoes my thoughts on this. “It’s Artetas team! Is it *%^@!” :laughing7:

There’s this huge pile of cow dung and underneath it sits Arteta and it’s impossible to pass judgement on it because of the huge pile of *%^@.

There’s a tactical structure there but probably not the right players to implement it and a general talent deficit as he described. So it’s left with our fans frustrated at a league position and micro analysing minor points in the belief we already possess the answer when we don’t.

I don't disagree with much of what Graham Hunter said, or implied, but by the same token we are on a very slippery slope and the further we fall down that slope the more difficult it is to climb back to the top.

Clearly, the circumstances in which Arteta is working are not ideal, both on an off the pitch. He has an unbalanced squad lacking quality in some key areas and he doesn't have £250m to buy his way back to the top. Not that splashing the cash is always the answer (ask United) but generally it is the most expeditious way to regain lost ground.

My concerns with Arteta are mainly with his man management and the fact that this group of players should not really be languishing in mid-table. It's an unbalanced squad but I am not sure he is making the best use of the resources he has at his disposal.

It was always a gamble to appoint Arteta because we were appointing a rookie manager who's only experience was as no. 2 and so he is effectively learning on the job. That said, I do feel he has failed to learn from some of his early mistakes and is still making some of them.

I have no idea what the answer is. Getting rid of Arteta is the easy thing to do, the hardest is to find the right man to replace him. I suspect he will get another season and another transfer window but if things are not looking markedly better by Christmas he could be in trouble, especially if fans are back in the ground by then.

Which brings me to another concern, the fact that Arteta sees the need to micro-manage the team from the sidelines, something that would be impossible with a full stadium. He clearly doesn't trust them to carry out his pre-game instructions or to adapt to changing situations within the course of a game. That is a damning indictment of the players.

Post #527057  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In my view it’s one of the very greatest wines in the world. Very consistent, as even in the lesser Bordeaux vintages they perform, in my view, better than other first growths. I remember going to a tasting of the 1961 (one of the Bordeaux vintages of the century) big eight for red Bordeaux. The five formal first growth (namely Lafite, Latour, Margaux, Haut Brion and Mouton Rothschild, plus Petrus, Cheval Blanc and Ausone) and the Latour was my own favourite. I like my reds to be full bodied and robust, and Latour is. Chateau Lafite can be a bit lighter.

Is it mostly the French wines you prefer as your usual go to? I’m actually quite partial to some of the Californian Pinot every once in a while.

Post #527058  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't disagree with much of what Graham Hunter said, or implied, but by the same token we are on a very slippery slope and the further we fall down that slope the more difficult it is to climb back to the top.

Clearly, the circumstances in which Arteta is working are not ideal, both on an off the pitch. He has an unbalanced squad lacking quality in some key areas and he doesn't have £250m to buy his way back to the top. Not that splashing the cash is always the answer (ask United) but generally it is the most expeditious way to regain lost ground.

My concerns with Arteta are mainly with his man management and the fact that this group of players should not really be languishing in mid-table. It's an unbalanced squad but I am not sure he is making the best use of the resources he has at his disposal.

It was always a gamble to appoint Arteta because we were appointing a rookie manager who's only experience was as no. 2 and so he is effectively learning on the job. That said, I do feel he has failed to learn from some of his early mistakes and is still making some of them.

I have no idea what the answer is. Getting rid of Arteta is the easy thing to do, the hardest is to find the right man to replace him. I suspect he will get another season and another transfer window but if things are not looking markedly better by Christmas he could be in trouble, especially if fans are back in the ground by then.

Which brings me to another concern, the fact that Arteta sees the need to micro-manage the team from the sidelines, something that would be impossible with a full stadium. He clearly doesn't trust them to carry out his pre-game instructions or to adapt to changing situations within the course of a game. That is a damning indictment of the players.

He’s not the only manager micro managing his players soc. They are all at it ! Watch the opposing coaching team during the game. Watch Pep or klopp.

I think your right though that he doesn’t trust the players. I wouldn’t they aren’t good enough. We are better than our league position in my opinion but only by a few places.

When I watch us play I only really see 3 players who look capable enough of being slick on the ball to make something happen Ie pass, probe and create a chance. 2 from our academy Emile Smith Rowe and Saka and believe it despite his ability to frustrate Pépé.

Without horse trading we aren’t going to see a huge improvement and the season can’t end quick enough

Post #527059  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Is it mostly the French wines you prefer as your usual go to? I’m actually quite partial to some of the Californian Pinot every once in a while.

Much of my collection is French, but certainly not exclusively. I have lots of wines from other countries. Must admit I’m not a huge fan of Pinot Noir because I do prefer full bodied wine, although I do collect lighter wines and sometimes drink it.

I remember buying the 1990 Domaine de Romanee Conti for £550 a bottle when it first came out in the early to mid-nineties. £550 pound was a lot more then than it is now. It’s the best pinot noir wine I’ve ever tasted. But it’s a long way from being my favourite wine.

Post #527060  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am 

I'm willing to wager its no better than a 50-50 proposition that Kroenke knows where we are in the table.

Post #527061  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am 

...and he may very well be the ONLY owner who doesn't.

Post #527062  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
I remember buying the 1990 domaine de romanee conti for £550 a bottle when it first came out in the early to mid-nineties. £550 pound was a lot more then than it is now.

Wow. Perhaps you could buy out Kroenke. :laughing7:

Post #527063  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 am 

Another example in the Burnley v Newcastle game of a ref bottling a decision in the penalty area that would be given as a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Burnley GK makes a save and it pops up to about neck height, the Newcastle attacker goes to head it in as the Burnley defender goes to hook it clear. Head, Foot and Ball all make contact at the same time at neck height but no penalty is given. In the middle of the pitch it is given for the high foot/dangerous play all the time and no one would complain.

Post #527064  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich. While you’re right with regards the maths of getting up the table, as I’ve said before the only consistent thing about our performances and results this season is our inconsistency. Accepting what you say about having a good looking run in, I will be surprised if we get the results that on paper we should. Today, as you say elsewhere, we play the worst team in the league. We should win comfortably and are thus firm favourites. But am I confident we will? The answer to my own question is a big, firm no.

Of course, we should be able to get three points. But I'm almost more confident that we'll get a decent result against Prague. Arteta's selections, and the seeming lack of focus on the pitch, in league games when we got a Europa game coming, is not confidence inspiring.

Post #527065  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Another example in the Burnley v Newcastle game of a ref bottling a decision in the penalty area that would be given as a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. Burnley GK makes a save and it pops up to about neck height, the Newcastle attacker goes to head it in as the Burnley defender goes to hook it clear. Head, Foot and Ball all make contact at the same time at neck height but no penalty is given. In the middle of the pitch it is given for the high foot/dangerous play all the time and no one would complain.

Must admit, regardless of any rights or wrongs of the decision, as I want Fulham to survive, I’m not complaining.

Post #527066  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:01 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Apart from here, it’s not really mentioned that much. Abramovich took over Chelsea in 1993 as his first season there was our unbeaten league campaign. That’s 28 years ago. Nearly thirty years is a hell of a long time.

Chateau Rip van Winkle?

https://winechateau.com/products/old-ri ... 2017-750ml

Post #527067  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:54 pm 

We shouldn't be giving up on qualifying for the Europa.
We can still catch Spurs.
Yes they are 7pts clear but they have a harder run in than us on paper. Not that we can be trusted nowadays...
If we won today and they lost gap would be down to 4......

Post #527068  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:45 pm 

The 'Ammers are for real. :26surprise:

Post #527069  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:55 pm 

Hate to sound like a..hmm...worry wort isn't the right phrase...I'll go with 'negative'. If we don't win, we're behind Leeds but at least have a better goal differential. Villa has a much better goal differential than we do, so we have to get more points. Obviously same number of points won't cut it.

Post #527070  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:29 pm 

What a quandary...hmmm...I loathe both Man Utd and Tottenham obviously. I suppose Man Utd winning is better since we will not catch them but an outside chance at Tottenham. But Tottenham is a '2fer' with them and Mourinho. A draw I suppose if not a Man Utd win. Why can't they both lose? Isn't there something in the rule book that can make that happen? :icon_mrgreen:

Post #527071  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
What a quandary...hmmm...I loathe both Man Utd and Tottenham obviously. I suppose Man Utd winning is better since we will not catch them but an outside chance at Tottenham. But Tottenham is a '2fer' with them and Mourinho. A draw I suppose if not a Man Utd win. Why can't they both lose? Isn't there something in the rule book that can make that happen? :icon_mrgreen:

A quandary? Funny no matter what side plays Totts shouldn't ever be a quandary. :14laughter: :1laughter:

Post #527072  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:07 pm 

Zed wrote:
An updated list, 2021, of richest PL owners.

https://sports24.com.ng/top-10-richest- ... er-league/

Just going back to your link Zed, the list unsurprisingly has Manchester City’s Sheikh Mansour as the Premier League’s richest owner with $20.0 billion, Chelsea’s Roman Abramovich second with $11,3 billion and Arsenal’s owner Stan Kroenke third with $10.0 billion.

So Roman ($11.3b) does have more money than Stan ($10.0b), to the tune of $1.3b. That means of their combined wealth ($21.3b), Abramovich has 53% of it and Kroenke has 47% of it. Not a huge difference between them.

But what is interesting is that according to Forbes, Stan’s wife Ann is worth $8.9b. So as a married couple, Stan and Ann are together worth $18.9b. Not only is that $7.6b more than Abramovich, it is only $1.1b less than Mansour, whose ownership of City has allegedly blown everyone else out the game, financially. Mansour and the Kroenke’s wealth combined adds up to $38.9b, of which Mansour’s $20.0b is 51.4% of it and the Kroenke family’s $18.9b is 48.6% of it. Even less of a variance than the percentage difference between Roman and Stan as individuals.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/ann-walt ... 2866378519

Post #527073  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm 

I'll say it again.

Son is an outright cheat.

Post #527074  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:10 pm 

Doesn’t really matter how much Kroenke is worth if he’s a tightwad as far as Arsenal are concerned.

I’d rather that he was strapped for cash and had to sell to someone more committed.

Post #527075  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:12 pm 

john1 wrote:
I'll say it again.

And then he adds insult to injury.

Post #527076  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm 

john1 wrote:
I'll say it again.

It's terrible refereeing. I don't understand how the rules are applied anymore. I'd have booked Son for play-acting.

Post #527077  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Doesn’t really matter how much Kroenke is worth if he’s a tightwad as far as Arsenal are concerned.

I’d rather that he was strapped for cash and had to sell to someone more committed.

Good point. I suppose I was trying to show that the only reason we don’t compete with financially doped clubs is Kroenke’s policy not to spend any of his own money on the club, which City and Chelsea’s owners do. It’s not that we can’t compete with them. It’s that Stan has decided we won’t.

Post #527078  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:29 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:
I'll say it again.

It's terrible refereeing. I don't understand how the rules are applied anymore. I'd have booked Son for play-acting.

There’s a coincidence. That very thought occurred to me in the past few days. It dawned on me that I no longer understand the laws of the game. After six decades of watching the game it’s become confusing beyond belief. And VAR, which I was originally keen on as I naively believed that it would eradicate poor decisions, has only added to the whole mess. All utterly baffling and seemingly unfair and nonsensical on a regular basis.

Post #527079  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:29 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:
I'll say it again.

it's ungentlemanly conduct at the very least, if that still exists

Post #527080  Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:52 pm 

Feel dirty cheering on Utd but it's in our best interests for Spurs to lose......

[ 570664 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13174, 13175, 13176, 13177, 13178, 13179, 13180 ... 14267  Next