Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 98 guests

Post #509641  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:54 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Thinking 'What ifs'. What if we had hired Arteta instead of Emery?

I liked Emery though, but must admit it was too far gone the other way for him to recover and rebuild.

Time to stop using that excuse.

Post #509642  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 am 

I do constantly feel Spurs are such an incredibly lucky team. Yesterday they got a penalty on VAR that will not get given in countless other games this season, had the pen saved but fell perfectly to tuck away the rebound and then benefited from a once in a season kind of mistake to score the undeserved winner in the 94th minute. Ok Son is an excellent player who took the chance very well but so many times I see Spurs not play well but somehow sneak a win, and not in a that’s what great teams do either. So many times already this and last season. I saw someone say ‘are spurs sleepwalking their way to the champions league?’
I hope Leipzig year them apart in the champions league

Post #509643  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 am 

I won't get too carried away with yesterday's win, as welcome as it was. The first half was very average and Newcastle certainly had their moments. Saint-Maximin caused Bellerin all sorts of problems, he seems to have lost some pace.

Second half was obviously much better. I thought Saka was superb and looks so comfortable. Pépé again showed glimpses of why we paid so much money for him and contributed a goal and two assists without even being in top gear I feel. Ceballos was excellent as well.

The Guendouzi omission is interesting, will he see this kick up the backside as motivation to improve or will he sulk and seek pastures new.

Post #509644  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:42 am 

Turning us around will take time but everyone can surely see the positive affect Arteta has had on the team. Just looking at basic stats from games, even without watching them with your eyes, shows he has made us harder to beat and harder to take shots against. The rate at which we allowed the opposition shots on our goal under Emery was alarming, and through sheer weight of numbers meant we were liable to concede 2 goals to anyone.
We've only conceded 2 goals to Chelsea twice in Arteta's games, and on both occasions there was an element of subtext. At home we were good value for a win until the Jorginho non red card and we ran out of steam and away we played 60 minutes with 10 men.

Post #509645  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:50 am 

Rich wrote:
I do constantly feel Spurs are such an incredibly lucky team. Yesterday they got a penalty on VAR that will not get given in countless other games this season, had the pen saved but fell perfectly to tuck away the rebound and then benefited from a once in a season kind of mistake to score the undeserved winner in the 94th minute. Ok Son is an excellent player who took the chance very well but so many times I see Spurs not play well but somehow sneak a win, and not in a that’s what great teams do either. So many times already this and last season. I saw someone say ‘are spurs sleepwalking their way to the champions league?’
I hope Leipzig year them apart in the champions league

That six point gap between us and Spurs could vanish very quickly. And Chelsea have hardly seized 4th place.

Post #509646  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
That six point gap between us and Spurs could vanish very quickly. And Chelsea have hardly seized 4th place.

I don’t see it vanishing very quickly, even though our next five league games (Everton H, West Ham H. Brighton A, Southampton A and Norwich H) all look winnable. Let’s say we do win them all to give us 15 points.

Tottenham’s next five league games are Chelsea A, Wolves H, Burnley A, Man Utd H and West Ham H. Let’s say they lose at Chelsea and draw at home to Man Utd. I see them beating Wolves at home (solely because it’s at White Hart Lane or whatever they call their ground), Burnley away and West Ham home. That would give them 10 points and they would still have a one point lead over us.

After the next five games, to me our remaining fixtures (Wolves A, Leicester H, Tottenham A, Liverpool H, Aston Villa A, Man City A and Watford H) mostly look challenging. Arguably more so than Tottenham’s last seven games (Sheff Utd A, Everton H, Bournemouth A, Arsenal H, Newcastle A, Leicester H and Crystal Palace A.

I realise how difficult it is to predict correct results. However, I’m more confident about saying we’d have to enjoy an extremely strong run of form, with results to match, to make up the six point gap and overtake them even on goal difference. Indeed, Tottenham’s goal difference (+9) is currently seven goals better than Arsenal’s (+2).

Post #509647  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:03 pm 

Guendouzi has been dropped because he’s a wrong un

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... eta-dubai/

Post #509648  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Hmm. I suppose we should be able to get about 50m for him if Arteta decides to sell him.

Post #509649  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Indeed, Tottenham’s goal difference (+9) is currently seven goals better than Arsenal’s (+2).

A small pedant point but if we make up the 6 points then we'd likely make up that goal difference as well, seing as to make up the 6 points Spurs would have to lose 2 and we'd win 2, a 7 goal swing wouldn't be hard to conceive.
I can see us winning the home games we 'should' win, but even at the moment I can't see us getting big wins against the top teams and don't pin much hope on our away form just yet.

Europa league is still our best chance of Champions League Football next year, even if 5th place in the league gets that.

Post #509650  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

He's a young player with potential, but not remotely good enough to be playing Billy big boots with the boss and coaches and get away with it.

Post #509651  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:59 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hmm. I suppose we should be able to get about 50m for him if Arteta decides to sell him.

I’d suggest that may be over ambitious mate

Post #509652  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I’d suggest that may be over ambitious mate

Undoubtedly. If we got half of that we'd be doing well.

Post #509653  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:18 pm 

I think it’ll be very sad if Guendouzi goes. He may need to grow up quick, but I hope he does. Strange as he’s always struck me as having a good attitude. I don’t see this alleged row with Arteta as the end of his Arsenal career. These things can happen with 20 year olds and Arteta will surely realise that.

Post #509654  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:24 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Undoubtedly. If we got half of that we'd be doing well.

£25m? I don’t think that would be us doing well at all. Remember his form earlier this season and the same period last season. He was outstanding in the cup win at Bournemouth too. I think this represents Arteta giving him a wake up call.

Post #509655  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:12 pm 

What I liked about the performance was the smiles and happiness on display .

All the right people scoring ; another win next up and confidence will soar . Pleased to for Özil , must have been under a lot of pressure recently .

The Dubai experiment seems to have worked except for Guendozi but that in itself is a positive ; shows our manager is a man of action doesn't fanny around and issue a load of gobble de gook as Emery or Wenger would have done .

I think it helps that we are edging towards stronger national spines as well ...Spanish speakers Pablo , Bellerin , Ceballos , Özil , Torriera , Luiz , Martinelli ....Arteta , the French Connection Aubameyang , Pépé , Lacazette and English Saka , Willock , Nketiah , Nelson , German Özil , Leno , Mustafi , Xhaka ... rather than have a united nations team from every corner of the planet . .

Post #509656  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Indeed, Tottenham’s goal difference (+9) is currently seven goals better than Arsenal’s (+2).

A small pedant point but if we make up the 6 points then we'd likely make up that goal difference as well, seing as to make up the 6 points Spurs would have to lose 2 and we'd win 2, a 7 goal swing wouldn't be hard to conceive.

I don't think that is a small point at all.

My point is that 4th place is still up for grabs. Chelsea and Spurs are 4th and 5th by default at the moment, not because their results are anything to write home about. They're treading water.

I don't want to get carried away after one good half of football against Newcastle. However, I don't think this was a flash in the pan. It's no coincidence that this result coincides with Ceballos' and Aubameyang's return and Pépé finding form, and the (surprising) continued renaissance of Özil. We now have a more creative and forward looking midfield and rather a tasty set of options up front to add to the (hopefully durable) defensive stability we have shown. This is the first time I've actually felt optimistic all season.

Post #509657  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:10 pm 

Getting more than 25 million for Guendouzi would be a real stretch and us being overly ambitious. At the moment he’s a slightly more technical version of Francis Coquelin.

He may realise his potential but only impresses in cup games and Europa right now. Compare his rise to Martinelli or Saka and you get a different picture. Even when those 2 have less productive games you can see their talent is obvious. Don’t really see that with Guendouzi at the moment

Post #509658  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:09 pm 

Barcelona have been given permission from La Liga to sign an emergency striker outside of the transfer window. That is ridiculous. A GK perhaps, there is precedent for that, but an extra striker just because Suarez and Dembele are injured....and they ONLY have Messi and Griezman and youth players to pick from!
Apparently there are certain rules ghat the signing must be a forward and must be from a la liga club and must happen in the next 15 days, after which the club they buy from will be given their own special window to sign a replacement, and I assume that goes on and on from club to club.

Post #509659  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:37 pm 

If we're going to start a run of form by spanking someone 4-0 I'm quite happy for it to be Newcastle.

Made me happy.

As for Gwen, I think people are probably over-reacting to what has happened. Not at all uncommon for youngsters establishing themselves to need a slap down from the gaffer, which from what we know is what appears to have happened. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in the squad Thursday, probably alongside pretty much everyone who was on the bench yesterday.

Post #509660  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Barcelona have been given permission from La Liga to sign an emergency striker outside of the transfer window. That is ridiculous. A GK perhaps, there is precedent for that, but an extra striker just because Suarez and Dembele are injured....and they ONLY have Messi and Griezman and youth players to pick from!
Apparently there are certain rules ghat the signing must be a forward and must be from a la liga club and must happen in the next 15 days, after which the club they buy from will be given their own special window to sign a replacement, and I assume that goes on and on from club to club.

I don't like the rule at all and the only thing remotely good about it is that the seriousness of the injury has to be confirmed by a La Liga doctor.

Btw don't be surprised to see Lucas Perez high in the mix of names. He's been impressive this term.

Post #509661  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:14 pm 

Get Brexit done, we’re not all racists blah blah blah etc etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51535367

Post #509662  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Get Brexit done, we’re not all racists blah blah blah etc etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51535367

Terrifying and moronic in equal measures.

Post #509663  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:41 pm 

Mari starting for the U23 tonight

Post #509664  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm 

Rich wrote:

Hi Rich.

Any idea if it's being streamed?

Post #509665  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
As for Gwen, I think people are probably over-reacting to what has happened. Not at all uncommon for youngsters establishing themselves to need a slap down from the gaffer, which from what we know is what appears to have happened. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in the squad Thursday, probably alongside pretty much everyone who was on the bench yesterday.

That’s pretty well how I see it. He’s 20 for gawd sake. He was a stroppy teenager (or to be pedantic barely above). It’s growing up. He hasn’t murdered anyone.

Post #509666  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:00 pm 

john1 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich.

Any idea if it's being streamed?

Sorry read this too late, I didn’t see it anywhere. Mari came off at half time in what seems like a pre planned sub. Arsenal lost 2-1 to Chelsea

Post #509667  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 pm 

Arteta putting a few players in their place is a win win situation for him as long as he treats everyone the same and retains the backing of the group as a whole.
He dropped Lacazette and explained to him why he did it, Lacazette comes on and gets a goal and assist and Arteta gets the reaction he wants.
If Arteta drops a player and gets a negative reaction then he’s been proven right to drop the player
That’s a simplistic view and it takes careful man management to get it to work but I’d far rather this approach than the previous regime

Post #509668  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:04 pm 

More VAR bs this evening. Maguire with an absolutely blatant deliberate kick out. A clear red and nothing is given. Willian then gets booked for diving when he was actually fouled and there is some rule that it can't be reviewed because it is outside the box. It's a pile of crap.

Post #509669  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:05 pm 

Maguire kicks out at Batshuayi, very similar to what Son got sent off for against Rudiger earlier in the season. Var review doesn’t give anything.
Same ref in both games

Post #509670  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Maguire kicks out at Batshuayi, very similar to what Son got sent off for against Rudiger earlier in the season. Var review doesn’t give anything.
Same ref in both games

I dont think it was too similar really. Maguire's was bloody obvious.

Post #509671  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

He hasn’t murdered anyone.

Be nice if he had though Bernard ; given your preoccupation with the macabre if he was found to have a couple of bodies in his basement Gwendouzi would rocket past Brady , Williams , Hudson , Clichy , Mertesacker and become your all time favourite . :icon_mrgreen:

Crime obviously does pay though ..Martial gives Christiansen a little stiff arm in the nose ...doesn't get booked then a couple of minutes later beats him to a header to put Man U 1 up .

Man U haven't beaten Chelsea home and away in the history of the Premier League ..given Fergie's dominance I find that statistic surprising .

Post #509672  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Crime obviously does pay though ..

Same goes for McGuire :laughing7: Giroud will give him more to worry about

Chelsea have been stitched up here. Maguire should have been sent off and when Chelsea equalise it is disallowed for a push eventhough Fred pushed Azpilacueta

Post #509673  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:07 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
He hasn’t murdered anyone.

Be nice if he had though Bernard ; given your preoccupation with the macabre if he was found to have a couple of bodies in his basement Gwendouzi would rocket past Brady , Williams , Hudson , Clichy , Mertesacker and become your all time favourite . :icon_mrgreen:

You make it sound like my perfect girlfriend would be Beverley Allitt or Joanne Dennehy (if you’ve not heard of them, look them up).

I’d actually understand relatives of their victims wanting to dig up Albert to ‘ang ‘em.

Post #509674  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

You make it sound like my perfect girlfriend would be Beverley Allitt or Joanne Dennehy (if you’ve not heard of them, look them up).

Not at all ... I was thinking more Myra Hindley , Leslie van Houten , Squeaky Fromme .

Post #509675  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:22 pm 

dec wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Crime obviously does pay though ..

Same goes for McGuire :laughing7: Giroud will give him more to worry about

Chelsea equalise it is disallowed for a push even though Fred pushed Azpilacueta

The VAR was harsh for Giroud's 'goal ' as well although correct ..... this nit picking approach is ruining the game .

Post #509676  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Not at all ... I was thinking more Myra Hindley , Leslie van Houten , Squeaky Fromme .

Myra is dead and the other two a bit old for me. More your age profile. *

I’m not able to post emojis on this site. But if I was you’d have got a smiley here instead of the *, and somewhere on the last one.

Post #509677  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I can see us winning the home games we 'should' win, but even at the moment I can't see us getting big wins against the top teams and don't pin much hope on our away form just yet.

Europa league is still our best chance of Champions League Football next year, even if 5th place in the league gets that.

You could be right (no guarantee though) about the goal difference being made up if we make up the six points on them. My post was more to do with the unlikelihood about equalling their points total.

The result away at Tottenham could well be vital. I see it as most likely a draw. But a win may swing things in our favour and a defeat could screw things up.

Post #509678  Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

You could be right (no guarantee though) about the goal difference being made up if we make up the six points on them. My post was more to do with the unlikelihood about equalling their points total.

The result away at Tottenham could well be vital. I see it as most likely a draw. But a win may swing things in our favour and a defeat could screw things up.

I don’t want to rain on your parades but we just put together one good half of football against a team who gave up with 15 minutes to go. I may wait a few more games before booking next years CL final tickets.

Post #509679  Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 am 

There’s a long way to go without a shred of doubt. The key is if Arteta can improve our away form. Can’t get a win for love nor money.

Also there was food for thought on the possible permanent signing of Ceballos. If he continues his form and is available for around 30 million that might be a deal worth contemplating. It was evident simply having a more forward thinking passer at the base of your midfield helped us hugely and I don’t think it was a coincidence Özil had his best game in ages.

Post #509680  Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Myra is dead and the other two a bit old for me. More your age profile. *

I’m not able to post emojis on this site. But if I was you’d have got a smiley here instead of the *, and somewhere on the last one.

Can't post smilies :5encouragement: :laughing7: :icon_mrgreen: what has Warrior got you on the budget plan ...?

Anyway got just the girl for you .............. Karen Greenlee [ 64 ] worked at a funeral home .

She was driving the hearse with dead bloke ; decided to skip the service , took off to secluded spot and had sex with him .... wasn't the first time either

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12739, 12740, 12741, 12742, 12743, 12744, 12745 ... 14269  Next