Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests

Post #537881  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 pm 

Really crucial couple of away games coming up. Man U and Everton. If we can take 4 points from those we then have 5 games leading up to the turn of the year which are all winnable. 3 home games v Southampton, West Ham and wolves and away to Leeds and Norwich.
Of course nothing is easy but there is a real opportunity here to cement the position we’re in. The top 3 are far away, everyone else playing for 4th

Post #537882  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:36 pm 

David Luiz currently playing in the Copa Libertadores final for Flamengo. On the BBC. He was just standing over a free kick but someone else took it. Good decision.

Post #537883  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:46 pm 

Ash wrote:
Such a shame to think all that Oil money relegated to the championship.

Gidday Ash ...... in a strange way I think it would do Newcastle a favour long term to get relegated .

Any players heading to St James would be more committed to the Geordie cause , prepared to battle in the Championship ....... rather than say maybe a few Fancy Dans arriving looking for a huge Saudi $$$$$$$$$ pay day .

Didn't see the game ...... asked my son to pay a month at a time to have the Premier League . Thieving swine hooked a full years subscription , son protested they said they didn't do refunds so suck it up ......... many furious texts , phone calls later we got the whole subscription back ... so no league viewing for me this season .

Used to think Arteta was a bit of a positive mealy mouth but think now he has a fair idea what he is on about .

Post #537884  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:00 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Ash wrote:
Such a shame to think all that Oil money relegated to the championship.

Gidday Ash ...... in a strange way I think it would do Newcastle a favour long term to get relegated .

Any players heading to St James would be more committed to the Geordie cause , prepared to battle in the Championship ....... rather than say maybe a few Fancy Dans arriving looking for a huge Saudi $$$$$$$$$ pay day .

Didn't see the game ...... asked my son to pay a month at a time to have the Premier League . Thieving swine hooked a full years subscription , son protested they said they didn't do refunds so suck it up ......... many furious texts , phone calls later we got the whole subscription back ... so no league viewing for me this season .

Used to think Arteta was a bit of a positive mealy mouth but think now he has a fair idea what he is on about .

Good morning Kiwi,

Getting on for my bedtime here. You might have a point but really they aren’t breaking any new ground. They’ll eventually just pay for some guys who set up the operation at City and copy them play by play. The championship detour will delay them by a year or two maybe I reckon

I guess it really all hinges on what they do this Jan. Shades of West Ham “buying” Teves and Mascherano in 2006 or whenever it was. They’ll be quite desperate I think because they were a bit woeful today and desperation doesn’t make for good decisions. So whatever happens I think a truckload of mercenaries heading to the Paris of the north East in the January sales. Imagine how cold Newcastle is in January!! :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Post #537885  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:07 pm 

With the contrast in finishing fortunes I'd swap Aubameyang with Martinelli next few games .... the former can get the hump and we can sell him off in January .

Post #537886  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:13 pm 

Ash wrote:
Getting on for my bedtime here. ..... Imagine how cold Newcastle is in January!! :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Get out to Boots and buy yourself an extra hot water bottle ...... just watched ArseTV 's Robbie chatting with Lee ... the way they were wrapped up and acting it didn't seem exactly tropical in London .

Post #537887  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:44 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
With the contrast in finishing fortunes I'd swap Aubameyang with Martinelli next few games .... the former can get the hump and we can sell him off in January .

I think we don’t look great up top right now and aubameyang did struggle but to suggest replacing him with martinelli up front off the back of 26 decent minutes is premature. He had really poor games v Brentford and Chelsea and looks far from capable enough of playing up front on his own. I’m really pleased for him and his performance today was far better though.

I would however contemplate starting lacazette and playing martinelli wide at old Trafford and giving Aubameyang a rest. Really would be the last thing they would expect.

Post #537888  Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:56 pm 

Ødegaard had something of a mixed bag of a performance. Showed some of his depth of passing but he seems to slow the game down also at times. He needs to try and work on being more decisive.

I saw le grove praising lokonga on social media but again I thought he had a mixed bag also. Looks assured but distribution is slow and telegraphed, I’d play AMN at old Trafford. Arteta won’t but he should.

Post #537889  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I think we don’t look great up top right now and aubameyang did struggle but to suggest replacing him with martinelli up front off the back of 26 decent minutes is premature. He had really poor games v Brentford and Chelsea and looks far from capable enough of playing up front on his own. I’m really pleased for him and his performance today was far better though.

I would however contemplate starting lacazette and playing martinelli wide at old Trafford and giving Aubameyang a rest. Really would be the last thing they would expect.

You could be right I was shelving his earlier poor games thinking rewarding Martinelli for his improved performance and giving Aubameyang a bit of a shake up .

i think his horrific miss was due to being a bit too casual ... little spell on the sidelines might freshen him up .

I wouldn't expect us to beat United whoever we put out , they'll be hurting real bad over the Watford /Liverpool losses , Solskaer sacking ; no matter which way the Chelsea match goes there is no way they'll fold to us .

Post #537890  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:07 am 

Arteta on Martinelli
It is a big moment for him. I'm especially happy for him because the way he behaves. Some players are respectful when you make some decisions, some players are very respectful like he is. He makes every decision you make even harder because he deserves more. I'm really happy because he helped the team get the three points today.

Very happy to hear Arteta endorse Martinelli.
At the same time, he is sending a veiled message to some others. Sneaky Arteta :42laughter:

Post #537891  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:13 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You could be right I was shelving his earlier poor games thinking rewarding Martinelli for his improved performance and giving Aubameyang a bit of a shake up .

i think his horrific miss was due to being a bit too casual ... little spell on the sidelines might freshen him up .

I wouldn't expect us to beat United whoever we put out , they'll be hurting real bad over the Watford /Liverpool losses , Solskaer sacking ; no matter which way the Chelsea match goes there is no way they'll fold to us .

Hi there Kiwi. I think this team, especially the defence, will stand up well against United. After many years of sloppy and careless defending, I feel much more confident with this lot. I am hopeful for a win. This team has it in them. Pool gave the defence a lesson and Arteta would have used that as an important learning tool.

Post #537892  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:28 am 

Ash wrote:
David Luiz currently playing in the Copa Libertadores final for Flamengo. On the BBC. He was just standing over a free kick but someone else took it. Good decision.

There’s a clip of one of the players getting a pat on the back from the referee and then throwing himself to the floor in faux agony! Did he not know it was the ref?

Post #537893  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:32 am 

If we play Martinelli up front I feel it has to be with a proper strike partner. Martinelli and Lacazette would on paper have a complimentary set of skills.
I’m also interested in what happens with Balogun in January. He’s been playing U23 still this season and scoring goals for fun. It isn’t fair to judge him on the Brentford game when we were well off it and now it’s a very different team. Probably another who would benefit from playing as a 2 man strike force with someone like Lacazette

Post #537894  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:44 am 

Martinelli provides those occasional moments of genius that just make you believe again that he could be the player we all hoped he might be.

The problem is that he probably isn't ready to play as a no 9 (if he ever will be) and without Europa League football as a proving ground there is just no way to ease him slowly into that kind of role, the same goes for Balogun.

The issue with Aubameyang and Lacazette is that they each lack the attributes that the other has. If you could mould the two into one player you'd have a great CF.

We need to find ourselves a proper all round CF which is not an easy task because there are not many really good ones out there and they are on the radar of more attractive clubs than us at this moment in time.

We can't throw Martinelli in at no 9 against United and we probably can't play two up top to accomodate him in a striking role either so we are forced to choose between Aubameyang and Lacazette and both are far from the perfect solution.

Post #537895  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:45 am 

Lascelles on Martinelli how could VAR not give a red. The angle from the back showing contact with kneck/head was abh and deserved a red.

VAR needs a tweak, assaults like thast must not be allowed ever.

Post #537896  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:46 am 

One thing that’s irritating me is the number of times our GK has been wearing the away kit I bnb hola when we play at home. I’ve seen our GK have green and blue kits, neither of those clash with Newcastle’s home kit, I can’t remember what colour kit Newcastle’s gk was wearing but if it was either green or blue then our gk can wear the other. Why are we having to change kit when we’re at home?

Post #537897  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:46 am 

Rich wrote:
If we play Martinelli up front I feel it has to be with a proper strike partner. Martinelli and Lacazette would on paper have a complimentary set of skills.
I’m also interested in what happens with Balogun in January. He’s been playing U23 still this season and scoring goals for fun. It isn’t fair to judge him on the Brentford game when we were well off it and now it’s a very different team. Probably another who would benefit from playing as a 2 man strike force with someone like Lacazette

Hi Rich,

A lack of european football is both a help and a hindrance. Whilst all the travelling is time consuming and a hassle the early rounds would have given us the opportunity to give Martinelli and Balogun and others some very valuable minutes in their development.

Post #537898  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:13 am 

I wouldn’t write off Martinelli or Balogun being able to play No.9 in the future, more slight and shorter players than both are effective No.9’s. It’s experience and body position to shield the ball and draw fouls.
Suarez is a similar height to Martinelli, certainly a bit stockier but I think it’s something Martinelli can learn with games against tough CB

Post #537899  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:51 am 

With a slightly misfiring attack our defence has been crucial to ensuring we’re keeping the clean sheets so that when we do make a chance we can potentially win the game from it.

In the opposite vein of form I read Liverpool have scored 2 or more goals in 17 straight games in all comps. So you need to score 3 to beat them. That isn’t happening very often, but thankfully West Ham did it!
Liverpool without Mané and Salah when they go to the ANC will be interesting

Post #537900  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:03 am 

Rich wrote:
I wouldn’t write off Martinelli or Balogun being able to play No.9 in the future, more slight and shorter players than both are effective No.9’s. It’s experience and body position to shield the ball and draw fouls.
Suarez is a similar height to Martinelli, certainly a bit stockier but I think it’s something Martinelli can learn with games against tough CB

Honestly with martinelli I don’t see him as a striker. His strength seems to be running from wide positions into the box and running at full backs. He really disappointed v Chelsea up front and I think it’s a little unfair on him to ask him to do that job. He says himself he prefers to play wide and I feel our fans calling for Aubameyang to be dropped and to play him are a little silly.

When I watch him play I see him as more of a Freddie Ljungberg than Luis Suarez and actually I think he may look better on the right flank. [where we are well stacked ] He certainly did well there yesterday

Post #537901  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:21 pm 

Burnley v Spurs match postponed due to weather. Irregardless, feel for travelling fans. No doubt match tickets can be used for rescheduled game.

Post #537902  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Honestly with martinelli I don’t see him as a striker. His strength seems to be running from wide positions into the box and running at full backs. He really disappointed v Chelsea up front and I think it’s a little unfair on him to ask him to do that job. He says himself he prefers to play wide and I feel our fans calling for Aubameyang to be dropped and to play him are a little silly.

When I watch him play I see him as more of a Freddie Ljungberg than Luis Suarez and actually I think he may look better on the right flank. [where we are well stacked ] He certainly did well there yesterday

Quite a few people, here and elsewhere, have said exactly the same of Aubameyang being better breaking into the box from wide positions.

Indeed, though a midfielder rather than a striker like Aubameyang is, that was arguably Ljungberg’s main strength as it’s how he scored so regularly.

Post #537903  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:13 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Interesting take on our players. Especially Ødegaard.

https://newsjust24all.com/five-things-w ... c7cEy3MLcs

Ødegaard needs times. Considering how little he's been in the team, I think he has been fine.

With regard to the striker situation: what has happened to Ntekiah? He's done well when called on this season.

I also thought Ødegaard had a fine match. I didn’t think he was the man of the match as I saw someone call him on another Arsenal chat room. But he played well without being brilliant.

One thing he may need to improve upon is getting into positions more regularly when he can show his creative talents. He often seems to get the ball miles from the opposition goal. Perhaps I’m being unfair with that as at least he shows a willingness to make himself available for passes in deeper areas of the pitch and routinely keeps possession when he does. But his main strength seems to be in the front third of the pitch.

Post #537904  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:23 pm 

Zed wrote:
Burnley v Spurs match postponed due to weather. Irregardless, feel for travelling fans. No doubt match tickets can be used for rescheduled game.

When was the game postponed? Their travel costs will be lost though, if any set off before it was postponed. I suppose those going by car or a club coach would turn around if they got the news before arriving. But those going by train would have a problem if the game was postponed after it had left.

Post #537905  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

When was the game postponed? Their travel costs will be lost though, if any set off before it was postponed. I suppose those going by car or a club coach would turn around if they got the news before arriving. But those going by train would have a problem if the game was postponed after it had left.

At least a hour prior to kickoff Bernard from what I understand. Would think travelling fans, most anyway, would have arrived early due to weather concerns.

Post #537906  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:20 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

At least a hour prior to kickoff Bernard from what I understand. Would think travelling fans, most anyway, would have arrived early due to weather concerns.

Yeah, if was not much more than an hour before kick off I’m sure practically all the Tottenham fans would have already got there.

Post #537907  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm 

Officiating team make a complete balls up letting Man U play from offside. Tuchel points it out and gets a yellow card. Ridiculous.

Post #537908  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:31 pm 

Just doing some work on the forum serverside - Shouldn't have anything bad happen but just a heads up.

Post #537909  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm 

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has praised Gabriel Martinelli for his goal, before admitting that ‘he deserves’ to be playing more.

https://www.justarsenal.com/he-deserves ... lli/297248

Post #537910  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:16 pm 

The server people had broken something but have now fixed it.

Post #537911  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:07 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Hi there Kiwi. I think this team, especially the defence, will stand up well against United. After many years of sloppy and careless defending, I feel much more confident with this lot. I am hopeful for a win. This team has it in them. Pool gave the defence a lesson and Arteta would have used that as an important learning tool.

I'd be gloriously happy if you are proved right G7 ......... but at Old Trafford it doesn't seem to matter the make up of the respective teams they beat us .

Maybe I'm thinking too much of the Rooney , Keane , Ferguson days .... we'll see next week . :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #537912  Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 pm 

Recruitment this summer was very good, but the best big task the recruitment team have is arguably their most difficult….a new striker. If we get it right and find a 20+ goals a season striker then we’re right in top 4 mix. But unlike some of the other positions we recruited this summer think it’s harder to find a reasonably priced under the radar striker, because quite simply anyone scoring goals has a big price on their head.

Post #537913  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Yeah, if was not much more than an hour before kick off I’m sure practically all the Tottenham fans would have already got there.

According to MOTD2, it was called off only 50 minutes before kick off.

Post #537914  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:23 am 

kiwipete wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I'd be gloriously happy if you are proved right G7 ......... but at Old Trafford it doesn't seem to matter the make up of the respective teams they beat us .

Maybe I'm thinking too much of the Rooney , Keane , Ferguson days .... we'll see next week . :icon_mrgreen1:

Hey Kiwi, the game is on Thurs not next week :icon_mrgreen:
I'll make sure you'll feel all the glory of happiness on your Friday.

Post #537915  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 am 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I'm with you on this one G7. About time we beat that bunch of *(&*^* at OT.

Post #537916  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I'm with you on this one G7. About time we beat that bunch of *(&*^* at OT.

I expect Man U to be right up for it to impress the incoming Rangnick. They also looked a lot more settled at the back with Carrick parking the bus against Chelsea and am sure Ronaldo will be raring to go after being left out as well.

While I wish it were otherwise, I expect a homer ref, a red card and a draw the most likely outcomes up there.

Post #537917  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:54 am 

warrior wrote:
The server people had broken something but have now fixed it.

Thanks.

Post #537918  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:13 am 

Was discussing the Kroenke thing with American sports friends from their perspective. Being from LA, a couple of them are Rams fans and know about Arsenal from that point of view as one of his sports holdings. They seem to think he already knew the case was strong against and took measures privately to pay it.

Their reasoning is the settlement was likely discussed prior and the court case was just part of leverage. Makes sense. The rich will tie up court cases for years using minute interpretations of the law, appeals, etc, so the plaintiff will go away due to the cost (not a strategy when the plaintiff is a city with millions at their disposal) or settle now and not wait years for a potentially bigger pay off if time value is used (what St. Louis did). St. Louis, in their minds would have made more money in a court case but they will get millions and be vindicated I guess.

Anyway, while discussing his holdings, I was reminded that he no longer has his Denver sports teams because the NFL has a rule against cross ownership in other cities with professional sports teams. He sold the teams to his wife to get around the rule, but Josh is in charge so he is de factor owner. Completely forgot about him having to do that. His wife doesn't get involved in his business and that was an emergency, unique issue. My gues is they hit very hard times, she'll come in to help but its a last resort as in the sale of the Denver teams.

One of them became an Arsenal fan of sorts because of the association. Not a strong supporter but his daugher plays football so he notices our scores, a weak fan.

It remains to be seen how the January window and next summer will be affected. We spent a lot and you guys know more than I do, but did the money come from? Meaning, I don't believe Kroenke dipped into his pocket and gave us the extra money. Or did he? I assume it was partially financed by sales of players.

Post #537919  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:24 am 

I'll be in LA for a few days in December. I'll definitely go see the stadium. Even before the Kroenke's I was never really a Rams fan. Now more than ever I'm not.

Post #537920  Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:22 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'll be in LA for a few days in December.

Full of good advice me AG ........ I'd say pick up a few freebies while you are there ........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftYHfK6 ... annel=ABC7

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13445, 13446, 13447, 13448, 13449, 13450, 13451 ... 14269  Next