Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 88 guests

Post #532721  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:19 pm 

It feels like this transfer window is beginning to fizzle out. Lots of encouraging links with quality players but no real substance to the rumours and we can’t shift anyone making it incredibly difficult both economically and numerically to bring any targets in.

We have put a number of players up for sale but there is no money in Europe or the PL and the best we can realistically do is to drop the asking price so low as to make it a no-brainer for potential buyers or send them on loan and pay a large chunk of their wages.

The other side of the coin is that those who do have money and don’t need to sell before buying are in a great position to buy players who may normally be out of their reach and/or shop around for bargains.

Spurs and Villa could do a lot of damage in this market if they get £100m for Kane and Grealish.

Post #532722  Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
So to call it early, If Partey is out injured for a period of time I think this will be our starting 11 for the first day of the season:
Leno, Chambers, White, Mari, Tierney, Elneny, Xhaka, Pépé, Smith-Rowe, Aubameyang, Lacazette

If it is I'll find it pretty underwhelming because for whatever reason it won't have addressed the main weaknesses or balance in the side.

I must admit I hadn’t been anticipating a Elneny Xhaka partnership to kickstart our new season after all the supposed activity.

Nor for that matter a Lacazette Aubameyang partnership.

Where’s Gabriel?

That would be a very underwhelming first 11, not least because it's obvious to the world and his wife that Lacazette and Aubameyang in the same team, with Aubameyang out on the left, does not work.

Post #532723  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Is that you trying to get around the time limit on replies by posting in the future?

:toothy9: :toothy9: :toothy9:

I've made a short video explaining the new time limit feature here - Hope it's helpful:

https://youtu.be/RXJKdh1KZ0w?t=44

Post #532724  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:38 am 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Is that you trying to get around the time limit on replies by posting in the future?

I've made a short video explaining the new time limit feature here - Hope it's helpful:

:14laughter:

Post #532725  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:53 am 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Great post

Post #532726  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 am 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Interesting to hear that side fumbling has been effectively reduced. I'd never have thought that possible.

Post #532727  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 am 

Very strange.
The squad has clearly been updated as it shows White , Tavares and Lokonga but Balogun is not showing as being in first team squad.
He has clearly been promoted so why still show him in the academy??

LTG did point out yesterday he was slightly off the radar.
I really hope he gets chances this season to really push Lacazette and Aubameyang.
Sounds crazy but was really expecting more movement with Lacazette and Eddie gone to open the door a bit more ajar for Balogun and freshen up our striking options a bit. Just seems a bit stale.
Have really high hopes for Balogun and really don't want Abraham anywhere near Arsenal if it means it blocks Balogun's progress.
I hope Arteta is fair and gives him minutes if the senior strikers are not doing it.

Frustrating the likes of Kolasinac and Bellerin are still here.
I can deal with Xhaka not going because he does give us something but those two need to go.
Really need a good keeper to challenge Leno as well.
Was hoping for more of a refresh but what can you do if there are no buyers

Post #532728  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:54 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
warrior wrote:

Great post

The bloke might just as well have been speaking in Russian for all the sense it made to me.

Post #532729  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
The bloke might just as well have been speaking in Russian for all the sense it made to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

Post #532730  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:59 am 

Is it okay to now be worried about our failure to significantly improve the squad or is it still plenty of time to the start of the season and Arteta has it under control. I still expect another attacking midfielder but it’s starting to be tight on time to get them playing with the team.

Post #532731  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:17 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Is it okay to now be worried about our failure to significantly improve the squad or is it still plenty of time to the start of the season and Arteta has it under control. I still expect another attacking midfielder but it’s starting to be tight on time to get them playing with the team.

Given that it seems to take about 3 weeks from a player being spoken of us ‘definitely coming’ to their actual arrival I hold out no hope.

So far this transfer window has been immensely disappointing and offers little hope for the season to come. More of the same looks to be the order of the day.

Post #532732  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:23 am 

It’s a quite simple problem really.

The club only has about 70 to 100 million to spend each summer but probably needs to spend 250 million to get the team competing at the highest level again.

It’s not going to happen and *%^@ me it’s depressing. There are too many problems to fix.

You can debate the fine details of it all and attribute blame if your frustrated which is understandable but I doubt our fortunes will turn around until a new owner arrives. I mean *%^@*** hell We are about to start another premier league campaign without a backup keeper or competent right back never mind midfield.

Post #532733  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:26 am 

Just watched a 30 minute program on the undefeated season. I feel like weeping about our current team.

Post #532734  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:27 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Given that it seems to take about 3 weeks from a player being spoken of us ‘definitely coming’ to their actual arrival I hold out no hope.

So far this transfer window has been immensely disappointing and offers little hope for the season to come. More of the same looks to be the order of the day.

Would you agree the signings we have made are promising though ? I think so. Just not enough.

We are like a faulty version of software that constantly needs to be patched and no sooner has one thing been fixed something else crops up.

Post #532735  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:45 am 

Newcastle happy to offer 22 for willock

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ted-leave/

Will probably have to sell him to fund a back up keeper

Post #532736  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Would you agree the signings we have made are promising though ? I think so. Just not enough.

We are like a faulty version of software that constantly needs to be patched and no sooner has one thing been fixed something else crops up.

I would agree. They are fine in themselves but serve to highlight just how far away we are from being competitive again.

Post #532737  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Newcastle happy to offer 22 for willock

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ted-leave/

Will probably have to sell him to fund a back up keeper

I find it crazy to think Arsenal are looking to spend significant money on a back up GK. Go and find another loan or a GK with not long on his contract. We need an experienced pro who can step in and do a job. A loan would be ideal because it means we can shelve the issue for another 12 months.

If we decide £22m for Willock is enough - I think we should be pushing for more then all that money should be invested back in to a central midfielder.

Given how much playing time Nketiah, AMN and Nelson will get we need to find willing buyers for all of them and ship them on. We should be able to generate £35m from those 3 I reckon, that can buy you a very good attacking midfielder (Aoaur available for £25m) or put a chunk of it towards a competent right back.

Post #532738  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:08 am 

Yay! Some good news. Hopefully it’s not AFC being unduly optimistic. https://newsjust24all.com/partey-injury ... jJimdfhcKY

Post #532739  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:10 am 

Former England U18's manager Kevin Betsy is appointed as Arsenal's new U23 manager. It has been rumoured for some time. I don't know anything about him but it seems those that do consider this a very good appointment.

Post #532740  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
You can debate the fine details of it all and attribute blame if your frustrated which is understandable but I doubt our fortunes will turn around until a new owner arrives.

That I do agree with you about. Sadly I don’t expect Stan (as the sole owner of KSE) to sell anytime soon. Indeed, my own guess is that our next owner will be Josh, who I’m assuming he’ll leave KSE to in his will. Or perhaps he’ll leaves it to his wife Ann and she’ll let Josh run things.

Some may think things will improve then. I’m not so sure. The only thing Josh, as far as I can see, may be better at than Stan is saying the right thing publicly. His announcements are often more positive about building the club to compete at the highest levels again.

Myself, I see Josh’s comments as little more than verbal diarrhoea. They are always qualified by his father aiming for exactly the same thing, and what a great job the Kroenke family is doing as owners. Understandably too, as Josh isn’t going to say his father’s a rubbish owner and things will change when Stan snuffs it.

Sure, it’s been said here recently that Arsenal spend a lot of money on new players. Compared to most we do. But Arsenal should do because it’s one of the richest clubs in Europe through its own resources. The size of its worldwide fan base, and from that filling a very big stadium with people willing to pay high ticket prices, its commercial potential, sponsorship revenues, television income and so on. Added to which the Kroenke family is one of the wealthiest owners in football.

Bloody right we should spend a lot of money on players. That’s why I get frustrated when people say Arsenal don’t have the money to compete at the highest level again. It almost sounds like an excuse. With the club’s own resources and the owner’s wealth, Arsenal should have the funds to challenge at the very top of European football. It’s just Kroenke doesn’t let it.

Post #532741  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
You can debate the fine details of it all and attribute blame if your frustrated which is understandable but I doubt our fortunes will turn around until a new owner arrives.

That I do agree with you about. Sadly I don’t expect Stan (as the sole owner of KSE) to sell anytime soon. Indeed, my own guess is that our next owner will be Josh, who I’m assuming he’ll leave KSE to in his will. Or perhaps he’ll leaves it to his wife Ann and she’ll let Josh run things.

Some may think things will improve then. I’m not so sure. The only thing Josh, as far as I can see, may be better at than Stan is saying the right thing publicly. His announcements are often more positive about building the club to compete at the highest levels again.

Myself, I see Josh’s comments as little more than verbal diarrhoea. They are always qualified by his father aiming for exactly the same thing, and what a great job the Kroenke family is doing as owners. Understandably too, as Josh isn’t going to say his father’s a rubbish owner and things will change when Stan snuffs it.

Sure, it’s been said here recently that Arsenal spend a lot of money on new players. Compared to most we do. But Arsenal should do because it’s one of the richest clubs in Europe through its own resources. The size of its worldwide fan base, and from that filling a very big stadium with people willing to pay high ticket prices, its commercial potential, sponsorship revenues, television income and so on. Added to which the Kroenke family is one of the wealthiest owners in football.

Bloody right we should spend a lot of money on players. That’s why I get frustrated when people say Arsenal don’t have the money to compete at the highest level again. It almost sounds like an excuse for being careful. With the club’s own resources and the owner’s wealth, Arsenal should have the funds to challenge at the very top of European football. It’s just Kroenke doesn’t let it.

Really good post Bernard

if your mates support a different club tell them how much you pay for your season ticket and their eyes fall back into their heads I guarantee you. Now tell me Arsenal shouldnt be able to acquire the best players.

We also change our kit every season now fleecing the fans with kids like myself with exorbitant costs on an annual basis.

Baby josh when not eating crayons can at least pretend he cares about the club whilst making mistake after mistake. Would it hurt him to say look Dad we make 70 million in share profits each year but can we chuck the club that 70 to invest this year as they are totally screwed.

Post #532742  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:11 am 

I think the last few weeks of the window will be a hive of scrambled activity. Lots of clubs in Europe are up to their necks in debt because of covid and desperately need to sell someone. They will want the best possible price and the english clubs vying to buy them will want to knock that down - because it seems only english clubs have any money. The end of the window is always a case of who blinks first but this season more than any because there is a much greater need for so many clubs to balance the books.

Post #532743  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:59 pm 

Few reports saying we have offered Leicester a player plus cash deal for James Maddison. Player supposedly AMN. Leicester have a terrific record of getting top whack for their players and replacing them much more cheaply - or already having that replacement in their squad.

Going back over the big Leicester sales, Kante, Mahrez, Maguire, Chilwell - they've all been a success. (Drinkwater is the outlier) I wouldn't be against the move if the price is sensible and that would mean AMN price in any deal being a minimum £20m.

It does seem like there are similar players available for less on the continent but Arsenal look like their looking at home grown players and premier league experience. Both are useful to have.

One thing Maddison would do is increase the quantity and quality of shots on target from us from that 18-30 yards range - where we are pretty awful

Post #532744  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Former England U18's manager Kevin Betsy is appointed as Arsenal's new U23 manager. It has been rumoured for some time. I don't know anything about him but it seems those that do consider this a very good appointment.

Excellent coach - the boys that have played for England under his guidance speak very highly of him
Hopefully this will help maintain the pipeline of bright young talent flowing into the 1st team

Post #532745  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Where’s Gabriel?

I think he got injured in the preparation for the Brazil Olympic squad. The club are being quite quiet about him which is worrying. He’s the obvious best partner for White we have.

Post #532746  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:52 pm 

Xhaka set to sign a new contract with us until 2025, I think he had 2 years left on his current deal so effectively adds 2 more years.

If we could have a central midfield of Partey, new CM, Xhaka, Lokonga, Azeez I’d be happy with that.

Post #532747  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:50 pm 

Kroenke's LA Rams kick off pre season Aug 21 at SoFi Stadium in LA. This is what he's focussed on.

Attachments:

Post #532748  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Xhaka set to sign a new contract with us until 2025...

Top Gun hears the news.

Attachments:

Post #532749  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Xhaka set to sign a new contract with us until 2025...

Top Gun hears the news.

:laughing7:

Honestly it partially makes sense to me. I’ve read it’s a 12 month extension with another 12 month option for the club so it seems it’s more about preserving a transfer value for next summer and motivating him for the new season. It’s kind of a win win for all parties.

Doesn’t change my opinion though that you’ll never win a premier league title with a midfielder that immobile and one footed in the centre of your pitch.

Post #532750  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:48 pm 

Looking at Maddison's numbers and stats he solves a big problem for us in terms of creating chances and scoring goals. I don't like the potential price but a midfield 3 behind the main striker from the collection of Saka/Partey/Emile Smith Rowe/Maddison/Martinelli is very strong

Post #532751  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:16 pm 

Any wage and roster issues with regards to failures Chelsea has is entirely brought on by them. For years when Roman came on, they knowingly overpaid for any promising young player in metro London in part I assume so that no other rival can have them. No sympathy. Eff them. They went about things the wrong way and any 'pain' that has come from it, is just.

As for us, we need a committee to look at our past contract structures and figure out what we are doing wrong and who is doing it. And act accordingly. Some things you can't help. You roll the dice sometimes (Willian). Sometimes a player has a stormer of a season, a break out season and you reward them with a fat contract (Smith Rowe). Everyone expects SR to come good and get better, but there is that chance he doesn't and we'd "stuck" with him. In the here and now, pretty much all contracts can be justified...till they no longer are.

Post #532752  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:54 pm 

Zed wrote:
Kroenke's LA Rams kick off pre season Aug 21 at SoFi Stadium in LA. This is what he's focussed on.

Naming rights for The Rams stadium is $30m a year. Emirates pay us $4m a year for our stadium

Post #532753  Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:57 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
You roll the dice sometimes (Willian). Sometimes a player has a stormer of a season, a break out season and you reward them with a fat contract (Smith Rowe). Everyone expects SR to come good and get better, but there is that chance he doesn't and we'd "stuck" with him. In the here and now, pretty much all contracts can be justified...till they no longer are.

You would never be ‘stuck’ with a 21 year old English player on a long contract. They are too high a commodity. It’s the sort of thing we need to be factoring in when signing any player or contract renewal. Asking the question ‘what if the worst happens’ or ‘what is the sales plan’

Post #532754  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just watched a 30 minute program on the undefeated season. I feel like weeping about our current team.

:22cry: why did you have to bring this up? I was going to enjoy my day, now it's ruined! :42laughter:

Post #532755  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:42 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

:22cry: why did you have to bring this up? I was going to enjoy my day, now it's ruined! :42laughter:

I don't think that there is any players in our current squad who would even make the extended squad we had that year. The football was breath taking. What was interesting was Sol Campbell talking about how most of the squad would stay and practice even after the official training had finished. The end of the Wenger era was distressing but that year - OMG. It is like when you see some of the great pieces of art or classic buildings of the world. It brings tears to your eyes.

Post #532756  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:02 am 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4638212

We are going to be subjected to another season of this pointless nonsense.

Post #532757  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:26 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I don't think that there is any players in our current squad who would even make the extended squad we had that year. The football was breath taking. What was interesting was Sol Campbell talking about how most of the squad would stay and practice even after the official training had finished. The end of the Wenger era was distressing but that year - OMG. It is like when you see some of the great pieces of art or classic buildings of the world. It brings tears to your eyes.

I believe we have Bergkamp to thank for that. The Romford Pele said the squad couldn't believe he would stay after training and practise. It became a regular thing under Wenger.

Post #532758  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I believe we have Bergkamp to thank for that. The Romford Pele said the squad couldn't believe he would stay after training and practise. It became a regular thing under Wenger.

I wonder how many of the current squad turn up on time, train giving 100% and then stay to additional training.

Post #532759  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I wonder how many of the current squad turn up on time, train giving 100% and then stay to additional training.

I would say most, if not all of them. Players are in better physical shape than they were 20 years ago. You can't be in that physical condition without putting in the commitment in training.

Post #532760  Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:31 am 

City are about to wrap up Grealish for maybe £100m. If they get Kane for north of £100m as well it seems pretty impossible anyone will stop them.
Kane, Jesus, Grealish, Mahrez, Foden, Sterling, Silva, Gundogun, Torres, De Bruyne, Rodri, Fernadinho. 12 players for 6 positions in the team

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13316, 13317, 13318, 13319, 13320, 13321, 13322 ... 14269  Next