Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests

Post #532401  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Just had a look at Arsenal.com. It lists the squad by grouping players as either goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, and forwards. Willian is included with the forwards. Myself, I think Smith Rowe should have been too, but anyway the nine midfielders listed were Partey, Saka, Smith Rowe, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lokongo, Elneny, Willock and Xhaka.

I still think of Saka as more of a free role wide player rather than someone I associate with a traditional central midfield role. Also, for me Smith Rowe is a deep lying number 10 forward or a wider player.

If I’m right, that leaves seven central midfielders: Partey, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lokongo, Elneny, Willock and Xhaka. Of them, I see Partey as the only automatic starter. Torreira appears desperate to leave, and Xhaka seems eager to. I’ve read Maitland-Niles would prefer to move. Willock seems likely to go to Newcastle, either on a permanent transfer or another loan. I’ve never seen Lokongo and for all I know could be absolutely brilliant or totally useless. Realistically he’s probably somewhere in between. Elneny is okay as a squad back-up, but I’m not sure about him being a first team regular.

But that doesn’t look a strong central midfield to me. Hence I agree with those who say strengthening central midfield has to be the priority this summer.

That’s some flip flop Considering you were saying last year our midfield was fine and you wouldn’t be againest signing Ceballos permanently :15laughter:

Post #532402  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Just had a look at Arsenal.com. It lists the squad by grouping players as either goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, and forwards. Willian is included with the forwards. Myself, I think Smith Rowe should have been too, but anyway the nine midfielders listed were Partey, Saka, Smith Rowe, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lokongo, Elneny, Willock and Xhaka.

I still think of Saka as more of a free role wide player rather than someone I associate with a traditional central midfield role. Also, for me Smith Rowe is a deep lying number 10 forward or a wider player.

If I’m right, that leaves seven central midfielders: Partey, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Lokongo, Elneny, Willock and Xhaka. Of them, I see Partey as the only automatic starter. Torreira appears desperate to leave, and Xhaka seems eager to. I’ve read Maitland-Niles would prefer to move. Willock seems likely to go to Newcastle, either on a permanent transfer or another loan. I’ve never seen Lokongo and for all I know could be absolutely brilliant or totally useless. Realistically he’s probably somewhere in between. Elneny is okay as a squad back-up, but I’m not sure about him being a first team regular.

But that doesn’t look a strong central midfield to me. Hence I agree with those who say strengthening central midfield has to be the priority this summer.

That’s some flip flop Considering you were saying last year our midfield was fine and you wouldn’t be againest signing Ceballos permanently :15laughter:

If Xhaka, Torreira, Maitland-Niles and Willock all leave, we’re obviously short on numbers. Especially having already lost Ødegaard, the better than you say Ceballos and stupidly getting rid of Guendouzi, one assumes for good next summer.

If we’re left with Partey, the unknown Lokongo and the ordinary Elneny, we clearly need players in central midfield. an area of the pitch that’s short of numbers. Saying that doesn’t contradict what I’v said before.

No idea if he can but perhaps Arteta can persuade Xhaka to stay. That’ll cheer you up.

Post #532403  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:55 pm 

Looks like Man U will sign Varane for around £40m very soon. That’s not great timing for us if we sign Ben White for £50m because there will be instant reaction comparing the two, particularly what Varane has won in the game.
The context is age, White is 5 years younger, a premium for English players (which Man U know a lot about), Varane has only 1 year left on his deal which must trim 20-30% off the price and the wages difference over the length of their respective contracts must be huge. White is rumoured to be offered £100k per week with us, Varane will be on £300k per week easily considering that De Gea is on £375k a week.

That also misses he point that there is no chance we could even sign Varane. Won’t stop the pi$$ taking though

Post #532404  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
Looks like Man U will sign Varane for around £40m very soon. That’s not great timing for us if we sign Ben White for £50m because there will be instant reaction comparing the two, particularly what Varane has won in the game.
The context is age, White is 5 years younger, a premium for English players (which Man U know a lot about), Varane has only 1 year left on his deal which must trim 20-30% off the price and the wages difference over the length of their respective contracts must be huge. White is rumoured to be offered £100k per week with us, Varane will be on £300k per week easily considering that De Gea is on £375k a week.

That also misses he point that there is no chance we could even sign Varane. Won’t stop the pi$$ taking though

Hi Rich,

I wasn't impressed at all with Varane in the euros. He looked slow, ponderous and made some stupid mistakes. That said he will probably be brilliant at United.

Post #532405  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 pm 

I am surprisingly excited and optimistic for the new season. For once I see some sort of plan in motion with young, talented, athletic, hungry players being brought in.

People are mocking us for paying £50m for White but I've a funny feeling it could turn out be be a stroke of genius. Very excited to see him play.

I have been critical of Arteta in the past because I feel some of his man management has been detrimental to the interests of Arsenal but there was a definite improvement post Christmas and if we recruit two or three more high calibre players his masterplan must begin to take shape or he will be out the door because there will be no more excuses.

Post #532406  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
I am surprisingly excited and optimistic for the new season. For once I see some sort of plan in motion with young, talented, athletic, hungry players being brought in.

People are mocking us for paying £50m for White but I've a funny feeling it could turn out be be a stroke of genius. Very excited to see him play.

I have been critical of Arteta in the past because I feel some of his man management has been detrimental to the interests of Arsenal but there was a definite improvement post Christmas and if we recruit two or three more high calibre players his masterplan must begin to take shape or he will be out the door because there will be no more excuses.

Soc, have a look at this piece of analysis on white ...

https://youtu.be/eTJzF3KOEfI

After watching that it makes complete sense of why we have gone after him specifically. Clearly there’s a plan in place

Post #532407  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:01 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

I wasn't impressed at all with Varane in the euros. He looked slow, ponderous and made some stupid mistakes. That said he will probably be brilliant at United.

He has been one of the best centre backs in Europe for years. The bedrock of the French defence that won the world cup, multiple Champions League and La Liga winner. Absolutely cracking player and if he and Maguire turn out to be a good fit, Man Utd will have an excellent core to their defence.

Post #532408  Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:

When you list them like that, we are very short indeed. We clearly will sign one first 11 midfielder but we really need a second signing in that area. Also, Partey and Elneny will be going to the African Cup of Nations in January. Looking at the numbers, it would make sense to keep AMN.

Post #532409  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:40 am 

dec wrote:
He has been one of the best centre backs in Europe for years. The bedrock of the French defence that won the world cup, multiple Champions League and La Liga winner. Absolutely cracking player and if he and Maguire turn out to be a good fit, Man Utd will have an excellent core to their defence.

One thing that will be worth watching with Man U is how much protection the back 4 get from the midfield. Ole often played two of McTominey/Matic/Fred, clearly any pair from that trio is nowhere near the quality of the rest of their team. I think they play 2 of them because the centre of defence doesn’t have huge pace - Maguire is a fine footballer but he can’t push up to the halfway line and defend 50 yards of space behind him, I’m not sure whether Varane can (Soc said he looked slow at the euros) if you’re defences line doesn’t push up you won’t dominate possession and will rely on individual moments from your attackers - which certainly fits with Bruno and Pogba, and Rashford to some extent.
A whole host of big names and high transfer fees does not always make the best team. Ole has no excuse to not make a proper title challenge this season though

Post #532410  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Soc, have a look at this piece of analysis on white ...

https://youtu.be/eTJzF3KOEfI

After watching that it makes complete sense of why we have gone after him specifically. Clearly there’s a plan in place

Hi TG,

I think White is a progressive, multi-dimensional CB who will add massively to our build-up play and our ability to transition quickly from defence to attack. His ability to bring the ball out of defence will allow to to break opposition presses more easily and his passing range is more that of a midfielder than a CB. Add pace and athleticism to that mix and it's quite intoxicating and you can see why we want him.

That said, he is not without his weaknesses and will need to improve some apects of his game.

Post #532411  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 am 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Hi Dec,

He undoubtedly has been but he's had his injuries and the last couple of seasons, from admittedly the little I have seen of him, I have not been particularly impressed. I am not sure he is the player he once was.

Post #532412  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 am 

Rich wrote:
I’m not sure whether Varane can (Soc said he looked slow at the euros) if you’re defences line doesn’t push up you won’t dominate possession and will rely on individual moments from your attackers

Hi Rich,

He looked slow and ponderous to me and made some unchararteristic mistakes. Whether he just wasn't fully fit, fully switched on or injuries have deprived him of that yard of pace I don't know.

Post #532413  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:33 am 

dec wrote:
When you list them like that, we are very short indeed. We clearly will sign one first 11 midfielder but we really need a second signing in that area. Also, Partey and Elneny will be going to the African Cup of Nations in January. Looking at the numbers, it would make sense to keep AMN.

AMN has rarely looked like a central midfielder in the PL though. He didn't even impress for West Brom there.

Post #532414  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 am 

Rich wrote:
A whole host of big names and high transfer fees does not always make the best team. Ole has no excuse to not make a proper title challenge this season though

Agreed with regards to how much they've spent, but it would take a monumental managerial effort from Ole to get a title challenge out of his squad. That team has flaws all over; even if Varane turns out to be a success they've a weak goalkeeper and a terrible central midfield. Lots of attacking quality, but it's very difficult to see them compete with City and Liverpool.

Post #532415  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:00 am 

I'd rather roll the dice on a proven player who may become a flop than buy on the cheap and hope that player can step up a level or two. Its the risk that comes with a big price tag on a player that is already achieving at a high level. Worth it.

The big boys win with proven players, not so much the other way around. Yes, we built a great side 20 years ago with the latter but that's then, with modern technology, the next Messi who is 7 years old in a small village in Pakistan is known to everyone.

We have gotten some mileage out of proven players (Sanchez, even Arshavin for a brief time, and others)

Post #532416  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:04 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
I’m not sure whether Varane can (Soc said he looked slow at the euros) if you’re defences line doesn’t push up you won’t dominate possession and will rely on individual moments from your attackers

Hi Rich,

He looked slow and ponderous to me and made some unchararteristic mistakes. Whether he just wasn't fully fit, fully switched on or injuries have deprived him of that yard of pace I don't know.

https://www.football365.com/news/solskj ... ice-latest
This article reckons Ole may go with just 1 holding midfielder next year after signing Varane. If that means accommodating Bruno and Pogba then I'm all for that because Man U will get counter attacked to death.
The reason Southgate preferred Saka to Sancho was that Sancho can switch off defensively as well. So that could be Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Cavani, Rashford/Greenwood as a front 5 and none of them particularly adept at the defensive side of the game. We've seen what happens at Arsenal when you push that kind of team out.

Post #532417  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'd rather roll the dice on a proven player who may become a flop than buy on the cheap and hope that player can step up a level or two.

Yes, Chelsea, City and United have been trying that bold method for some time now. If the other clubs were cleverer, they'd realise that buying expensive proven players is the best way to go.

Post #532418  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:42 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I'd rather roll the dice on a proven player who may become a flop than buy on the cheap and hope that player can step up a level or two.

Yes, Chelsea, City and United have been trying that bold method for some time now. If the other clubs were cleverer, they'd realise that buying expensive proven players is the best way to go.

Depends on the clubs situation though,

I think Declan Rive would do a great job for us but spunking 80 to 100 million on him would mean a season with problems in other areas of the squad.

I think the penny has dropped with chelsea and strikers though where they would rather pursue Haland than waste the same money trying different strikers who aren’t as good.

Post #532419  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 am 

Newspapers in Spain suggesting Ødegaard wants to leave and join Arsenal.

Would be a very good signing.

Post #532420  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I would be thrilled with that, if it happens. I feel much of the lack of enthusiasm about him here last season was more than a bit unfair.

Post #532421  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would be thrilled with that, if it happens. I feel much of the lack of enthusiasm about him here last season was more than a bit unfair.

He seemed to be getting some stick from Arsenal fans with a pre determined agenda that Emile Smith Rowe had to be played all the time. Why not have both ? Play Smith Rowe wide in games when we need to be more compact, rotate them, it’s great to have options not everything has to be black or white. He’s only 22 also.

I honestly can’t think of a transfer window more intriguing than this one. The next 4 weeks will literally determine what type of season we have I think. What happens with who we sell is even more important than who comes in.

Post #532422  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'd be happy to have Ødegaard back at the right price. For me that price is closer to £35m than £50m Madrid were rumoured to want.
My reservations about Ødegaard are only based on 6 months with us but they are: lack of pace and lack of goals and a little bit lack of mobility and dyanmism.
I have no concerns about his technical quality and passing and movement and general linking of our attacking play but I do see him more like a classic 10 when I think the game in general is moving away from that type of player unless they score a LOT of goals (like Bruno for Man U)
Having said that I don't think there are many of this type of player I describe available on the market, so if you can get a22 year old with huge potential for a good price then we should go for it.

Post #532423  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:06 am 

I liked Ødegaard but I didn't love him. He is a fine player, no doubt but I expected a bit more from someone who is on RM's books. If he's the best we can do for the price we can afford, so be it.

Post #532424  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'd be happy to have Ødegaard back at the right price. For me that price is closer to £35m than £50m Madrid were rumoured to want.
My reservations about Ødegaard are only based on 6 months with us but they are: lack of pace and lack of goals and a little bit lack of mobility and dyanmism.
I have no concerns about his technical quality and passing and movement and general linking of our attacking play but I do see him more like a classic 10 when I think the game in general is moving away from that type of player unless they score a LOT of goals (like Bruno for Man U)
Having said that I don't think there are many of this type of player I describe available on the market, so if you can get a22 year old with huge potential for a good price then we should go for it.

I think you’re a bit deal more inclined to believe transfer gossip than me. Both in terms of the players we’re interested in and the transfer fees.

Post #532425  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:26 am 

I have a Toon supporting friend who is pretty adamant Willock is going to the northeast. I don't know how much is what he's actually heard or how much is wishful thinking.

If he goes there I wish him the best of luck. My first worry is with the form he was in, he's expected to carry the team and have over the top expectations of him. He's a young man still learning his trade.

Post #532426  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think you’re a bit deal more inclined to believe transfer gossip than me. Both in terms of the players we’re interested in and the transfer fees.

I don’t think it’s spurious gossip to suggest we would be interested in Ødegaard, Arteta said as much.

The player is at a crossroads too, 2 years on his contract

Post #532427  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don’t think it’s spurious gossip to suggest we would be interested in Ødegaard, Arteta said as much.

The player is at a crossroads too, 2 years on his contract

It wasn’t the player I was questioning our interest in this time, although it sometimes is. It was the fee.

Post #532428  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I certainly take an interest in the transfer gossip - but there are certain pieces of information from certain journalists that I wouldn't class as 'gossip'. As far as fees are concerned the £50m has been mentioned at the end of last season but my post was not whether I believed in any fee being bandied around more what I would see as a good deal for us to get him.

I know you're sceptical on the £50m Ben White fee but it has been reported as that my numerous outlets so I doubt it is actually far off £50m.

Post #532429  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:05 pm 

I'd be very pleased if we signed Ødegaard. Madrid are desperate for funds so perhaps this rumour is more feasable than signing Locatelli.

Post #532430  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:32 pm 

Sometime between now and the next 24 hours, the forum may become unavailable.

I'll have to see what happens to it to see what action needs taking.

Post #532431  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:45 pm 

warrior wrote:

Sounds suspiciously like a cull. Why am I reminded of the Hitchhikers Guide book about the space ships to get rid of the useless third of the population? :icon_mrgreen:

Post #532432  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:46 pm 

warrior wrote:

Perhaps when it returns we will have bought White and Ødegaard.

Post #532433  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:50 pm 

Made me laugh. What an unfortunate bit of ‘management’ by Rooney. http://www.skysports.com/share/12365188

Post #532434  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

Perhaps when it returns we will have bought White and Ødegaard.

The good news is, the forum should be even faster afterwards as the new company (the parent company of who we are with now) uses all the latest SSD drives, enterprise class equipment and interfaces, etc.

Post #532435  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm 

Bored wrote:
I'd be very pleased if we signed Ødegaard. Madrid are desperate for funds so perhaps this rumour is more feasable than signing Locatelli.

At least Ødegaard may actually want to play for us, everything I've read about Locatelli is we're chasing a pipe dream as the player only has eyes for Juve. Juve don't have money but it seems they will structure a loan with obligation to buy for payments once the coffers have swelled a bit following the return of fans

Post #532436  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 pm 

Good grief!

Attachment:

Post #532437  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:33 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Good grief!

Attachment:
IMG_0545.PNG

Is that Tavares?

Edit: quick google my second guess :1laughter: Miguel Azeez with a haircut???

Bodes well for a young midfielder looking for minutes that he looks physically prepared for men’s football. If this is Miguel...

Post #532438  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:41 pm 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Good grief!

Attachment:
IMG_0545.PNG

Is that Tavares?

Bodes well for a young midfielder looking for minutes that he looks physically prepared for men’s football. If this is Miguel...

Good spot. It is Azeez. Legs of oak.

Post #532439  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

Is that Tavares?

Good spot. It is Azeez. Legs of oak.

He’s got a great shot from distance - no wonder looking at those tanks holding him up. I’d put him just behind Lokonga then in getting some minutes this season. I wish if only for the sake of players like him, Willock Balogun and Martinez we were in the Europa. Players who seem good enough for some minutes but I can’t see really apart from injuries where they might get them.

Post #532440  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Made me laugh. What an unfortunate bit of ‘management’ by Rooney. http://www.skysports.com/share/12365188

That's only a smaller part of his current probs lately.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13308, 13309, 13310, 13311, 13312, 13313, 13314 ... 14269  Next